Recruiting a worry

Look at the size of the players in this class. Keep recruiting players of that size and caliber and UT will be kicking errybody's a$$ soon!

Reactions: kbear01 and Behr
It feels good to look at the team recruiting rankings and see UT in the top ten. Just do not count how many SEC teams are ranked above us or you might get discouraged.

Why would anyone be discouraged by the only pertinent stat - average player ranking - which shows there's no discernible difference (outside of GA and AL) between TN and those "ranked above us"? At that level, the only practical difference is picking talent to fit your program model, development, and having a better model.

I’ve always found the best approach on this board is to be honest with your fellow posters about who you are. They know I’m a Gator fan. Most still don’t care for my opinion on things, but they at least respect where I’m coming from and occasionally appreciate a rival’s perspective. By all accounts, Tennessee has a very good class this cycle, including a big head to head win today v Florida for Beckwith. So your post reeks of someone posing as a UT fan. Tennessee fans are not, and should not be down on a top 10 recruiting class (according to Rivals and 247).

Congrats, UT and Pruitt, well done. I think both UF and UT should be happy with their classes, and I also think we both can agree that we gotta keep closing the gap with the recruiting machine that is Georgia. Thank God their game day coaching is limited because they can damn sure bring in players.
Even though I think you are a turd, and I hate you because you pull for the Gators you may have actually assembled a paragraph with some truth in it. The only thing that we can agree on is that we both hate UGA. The recruiting machine that is UGA currently is on a roll but they seem to have a problem keeping those kids on the roster and developing them. Seems to me they have had a bunch of talent jump ship and run over the past few years.

Also, if they are winning the recruiting title back to back to back years why are they not even invited to the big dance? If they get there they seem to choke it away and find a way to lose em.

Even though I think you are a turd, and I hate you because you pull for the Gators you may have actually assembled a paragraph with some truth in it. The only thing that we can agree on is that we both hate UGA. The recruiting machine that is UGA currently is on a roll but they seem to have a problem keeping those kids on the roster and developing them. Seems to me they have had a bunch of talent jump ship and run over the past few years.

Also, if they are winning the recruiting title back to back to back years why are they not even invited to the big dance? If they get there they seem to choke it away and find a way to lose em.

Hate is such a strong word.

Aside from that, agree with your entire post. UGA’s on field performance does NOT match their recruiting. Think about how LSU has brutalized them in back to back years. They can’t beat Bama. They lost to a below average South Carolina team, and also got embarrassed by a mediocre Texas team.

Reactions: stevenrich2003
We're one point from overtaking UF on rivals, and they have 24 commits while we have only 23.

If we overtake them, we'll be the 4th SEC team and the 2nd in the East. On Rivals of course.

And we did.

Good job, Pruitt. Now, learn to play the best QB and maybe we'll win some ballgames next year.

1580986877443.png

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I never thought I would see the day when the Tennessee volunteer fanbase applauded 18th nationally and 8th in the SEC. Slow golf clap.... Not only applauded it but trumpeted it. Actually laughed at people who said recruiting was weak. Okkkkkkkkkk
Once again, 247 sports has Tennessee #10 and there isn't much difference between Tennessee's class and what Florida and Auburn have signed.... most people who follow recruiting closely follow 247 rather than ESPN, who obviously doesn't specialize in recruiting analysis. I can't help but get the feeling that you are well aware of that because it has been posted in multiple places. So, you are either looking for attention or just trolling.

For those complaining about the rankings, I thought the staff did a top notch job in getting the NEEDS filled. Really good WR and LB/DE class especially.

Vols desperately need players that can rush the passer and get open to make plays on offense. I think they are off to a good start.

Reactions: Other_Guy
so you just pointed at the ranking system to make a point about how I put too much stock into the ranking system? "If you look at the rankings" then literally in the same sentence, you put too much faith in the rankings.

How else do you propose we evaluate recruiting classes if we don't use the ranking system? Just like the polls, it's an instrument used to gauge progress.

The point is that you could change the star rating of one or two players on any of those teams from 5-10 and it would reshuffle the order. They are that close. You cannot completely remove the subjectivity of the rating process. Those teams that are ranked from about 4 or 5 to about 15 are effectively recruiting the same quality of players. Players, if properly developed and coached, capable of winning at the highest level. If this team does not succeed, it will not be because of a talent gap.

Reactions: INDEFENSE
Wow j
recruiting is weak, even with the bad start very disappointed. Wiffed on most our big names really, butch jones staff recruited better. Way better...no way we break top 15. I don’t even see us chasing the 5 star talent this year.
Yeah numbers aren’t everything but we are not recruiting well at all right now. We may be better next year but prob dip again. Pruitt needs results next year or may get worse. I hope to be proven wrong and they cobble together a respectable sec class. Just sucks to be 9 or 10th in sec
wow how that crow taste ?

Hate is such a strong word.

Aside from that, agree with your entire post. UGA’s on field performance does NOT match their recruiting. Think about how LSU has brutalized them in back to back years. They can’t beat Bama. They lost to a below average South Carolina team, and also got embarrassed by a mediocre Texas team.

I concur.

Shifting gears here. Have you noticed that the historical top 3 programs from the east are matched up with the historical top 3 teams from the west? I just realized this when I was looking for some mud to sling at you for being a gagtor fan.
UT - Bama
UF - LSU
UGA - AU

As I've stated before, "CJP has us on a ROLL, he has recruited lights out-I'm smelling a NATY!!"

I concur.

Shifting gears here. Have you noticed that the historical top 3 programs from the east are matched up with the historical top 3 teams from the west? I just realized this when I was looking for some mud to sling at you for being a gagtor fan.
UT - Bama
UF - LSU
UGA - AU

Yes I’ve noticed, and Tennessee gets the worst of this this scenario at least since Saban took over at Bama. LSU is never an easy out, so Florida is second in degree of difficulty behind Tennessee having Bama. Then there’s Georgia, benefitting from a schizophrenic Auburn program that has definitely been an easier out than Bama or LSU lately.

Florida and Tennessee fans should always pull for a strong Auburn program if we want to win the east and a strong Ga Tech program if we want Georgia to have even a little bit of in-state competition for recruits, and for a late season Georgia loss from time to time.

Vols desperately need players that can rush the passer and get open to make plays on offense. I think they are off to a good start.
I agree, which is why I also posted about Pruitt getting the needs. But people who complain about having only the #10 ranked class or #5 in SEC (somehow forgetting the dumpster fire was VERY recent), Pruitt can win the East with that class or he can have the #1 class and blow it.

10th on 247 and 8th on rivals. And you might want to see a proctologist about that stick.

Dude whatever, the comment I was referring to was someone chastising or lording over another person about the recruiting class. I remember in the 90s when anything out of the top 5 was unheard of for Tennessee.
And you want to act like I have a stick up my butt because I pointed out something that is completely obvious to some fans. Coach Pruitt hasn't done a damn thing yet. he hasn't won a conference championship or a national championship. Hell for that matter, he hasn't even won the East.

Celebrating a middle-of-the-road recruiting class in the SEC is delusional. I hope it turns out to be a really great class. But people are on here with nuclear bomb gifs, and heralding this class. He's not the general, hell he isn't even Philip yet.

Dude whatever, the comment I was referring to was someone chastising or lording over another person about the recruiting class. I remember in the 90s when anything out of the top 5 was unheard of for Tennessee.
And you want to act like I have a stick up my butt because I pointed out something that is completely obvious to some fans. Coach Pruitt hasn't done a damn thing yet. he hasn't won a conference championship or a national championship. Hell for that matter, he hasn't even won the East.

Celebrating a middle-of-the-road recruiting class in the SEC is delusional. I hope it turns out to be a really great class. But people are on here with nuclear bomb gifs, and heralding this class. He's not the general, hell he isn't even Philip yet.
Why not celebrate it? The current rankings are the opposite of definitive and we won’t know the reality for 3-4 years. Read the Athletic’s class rerankings to see how teams’ classes proved to be dozens of spots better than their original rankings on the field - and vice versa. We just closed the season AND recruiting cycle on very high notes. Our staff appears to recognize FB players when they see ‘em and also how to coach ‘em up. No reason not to be optimistic unless you just dig pessimism.

You really suck.

I concur.

UT - Bama
UF - LSU
UGA - AU
It is a great opportunity for the SEC East to re-establish dominance. I mean, it's been a while.
But, what if The Vols beat Bama, Florida beats LSU, and UGA beats Auburn?

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I remember reading the OP back when it was posted. My thought was you can’t judge a cake before it’s finished baking and Pruitt closed well last year. But I also thought all the troll accusations were a bit of whistling past the graveyard to some extent. We DID swing and miss on a few of our highest rated targets early and it was most certainly due to losses on the field. We DID finish the season on an improbable win streak and that most certainly helped us finish strong with recruiting. But overall I just don’t think anyone should worry if we consistently sign top 12 classes. Even top 15 for the most part. A few points in a made up system separate the top teams and 4 year rerankings show how wrong these can be.

Yes the ranking services are more right than wrong but they are typically ranking athletic ability moreso than FB ability and potential, IMO. In today’s ultra competitive recruiting world the two best options for success are to sign all the highest rated players, or identify ability and potential in lower rated players for which there is less competition. A handful of teams sign almost all the 5* players.

Clemson’s staff is a great example of one which now gobbles up top 100 players but a few years ago they started climbing that ladder thru excellent evaluations. And they are still signing unheralded guys who then develop into great players - b/c they trust their own eyes. This is the model we should hope Pruitt/UT will follow and there are some indications we are.

VN Store

Back