'20 AL ATH Damarcus "Dee" Beckwith (Tennessee signee)

How do you mean? His staff and culture? Hopefully our staff sticks together that long and we can see we are doing it the Clemson way of a family culture and continuity vs Saban's mercenary style.

Saban got to Alabama as an established head coach and immediately landed a #1 ranked recruiting class. Then he followed it up with a string of #1 and #2 ranked classes.

Clemson built their first championships on classes ranked in the top 10-15 range. I'm not sure they even had a top 5 class before winning a NC. But Dabo evaluated and developed extremely well. He signed 3*s that played like 4 and 5 stars. Until you've built a name for yourself and shown you can win a NC, that's probably the route one has to go. Saban had already won a NC when he got to Bama. He could sell that. Pruitt can't. But Pruitt can evaluate, develop, and hire assistants who develop.

So that's what I mean...Pruitt's approach has been more like Dabo's in that sense. It's not that he hasn't signed some fantastic players...he has. But he can't just waltz in, flash a ring, and start landing #1 ranked classes.

Saban got to Alabama as an established head coach and immediately landed a #1 ranked recruiting class. Then he followed it up with a string of #1 and #2 ranked classes.

Clemson built their first championships on classes ranked in the top 10-15 range. I'm not sure they even had a top 5 class before winning a NC. But Dabo evaluated and developed extremely well. He signed 3*s that played like 4 and 5 stars. Until you've built a name for yourself and shown you can win a NC, that's probably the route one has to go. Saban had already won a NC when he got to Bama. He could sell that. Pruitt can't. But Pruitt can evaluate, develop, and hire assistants who develop.

So that's what I mean...Pruitt's approach has been more like Dabo's in that sense. It's not that he hasn't signed some fantastic players...he has. But he can't just waltz in, flash a ring, and start landing #1 ranked classes.
Wow a rational thought. Rare concept these days. Bravo.

It also bears stating that Clemson's 10-15 range recruiting classes were likely in the top 2 of their respective conference. A top 10-15 class here is about 6th-7th in the SEC. Clemson has had the benefit of playing 1 and MAYBE 2 teams that can compete with them athletically in the regular season for about five years now. They win that game and they're going to the playoff year in and year out (which they've done). It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison between the programs, but I do get what you're saying.

It also bears stating that Clemson's 10-15 range recruiting classes were likely in the top 2 of their respective conference. A top 10-15 class here is about 6th-7th in the SEC. Clemson has had the benefit of playing 1 and MAYBE 2 teams that can compete with them athletically in the regular season for about five years now. They win that game and they're going to the playoff year in and year out (which they've done). It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison between the programs, but I do get what you're saying.

That is a valid point. But as Clemson showed when they played Alabama, those classes TURNED OUT to be much better than 10-15 and more like top 3. At least after development.

That Clemson team that boat-raced Alabama in the NC game last year was the most talented team in America. That was obvious. And it was comprised of classes ranked 7, 16, 11, 9, and 16. That, my friends, is recognizing players who are better than their rankings and developing them to their max potential.

Ah, just as far as recruiting. Yeah I doubt it's by choice, like you said. If he could take all the Bama recruits and #1 classes, ofc he would. Unfortunately this is a harder road and Clemson is an exception to all the other top-20 recruiting programs (probably the best developer of talent we've seen the last couple decades), but we're on the right track is what we can say for now. But I also think we're closer to consecutive top 5/10 classes than Dabo ever was his first 5-10 years. Give us 8-9 reg season wins and we could knock on the top-5 door this next cycle imo. Speed this thing up.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
That is a valid point. But as Clemson showed when they played Alabama, those classes TURNED OUT to be much better than 10-15 and more like top 3. At least after development.

That Clemson team that boat-raced Alabama in the NC game last year was the most talented team in America. That was obvious. And it was comprised of classes ranked 7, 16, 11, 9, and 16. That, my friends, is recognizing players who are better than their rankings and developing them to their max potential.

They certainly developed to be sure...but the argument could be made that their players were better rested than teams that faced tougher tests throughout the season, due to the fact that their games were often over by halftime (same is true with Bama overall, but they do face a few tough tests annually). I'm not trying to dispute what you're saying or to diminish Clemson's feats. I'm just saying that it's a little more complicated than Clemson took decent classes and won everything and we should be able to as well.

Agree with a lot of this. Although, building like that in the ACC is much, much easier than doing that in the SEC.

Reactions: volsagain

And while they can now get already deemed 4&5 stars, watch and see if 3 stars get bumped after Clemson offers now.

In the "stars matter" argument, it's always overlooked. But Champions don't only "get" top 5 classes, players rise after champions take interest.

People ignoring that self fulfilling prophecy, is one of my biggest pet peeves.

They certainly developed to be sure...but the argument could be made that their players were better rested than teams that faced tougher tests throughout the season, due to the fact that their games were often over by halftime (same is true with Bama overall, but they do face a few tough tests annually). I'm not trying to dispute what you're saying or to diminish Clemson's feats. I'm just saying that it's a little more complicated than Clemson took decent classes and won everything and we should be able to as well.
...and now back to the Dee Beckwith updates.

You’re either better or you’re not. Being rested AND inferior in talent gets you one and outs.

What do you mean conceded? They didn’t want him anyway. At least that’s what they have said and will say. Same with Morven Joseph. 🙄
Side note, they are about to go 1/6 on their remaining targets. Already taken 4 transfers and will have several left over spots that they couldn’t fill.

About to become transfer U.

You hate to see it.

Side note, they are about to go 1/6 on their remaining targets. Already taken 4 transfers and will have several left over spots that they couldn’t fill.

About to become transfer U.

You hate to see it.
Mehlen isn’t a great recruiter, but he’s doing a great job at getting transfers. Hopefully they don’t pan out

I did an entire post about this last week.
Form 2008 to 2015 Clemson average class rank was 20th...
They didn't sign a top 5 class until 2018
KEY recruiting- It's when you hit on high level recruits you needed to do so.
Yeah development has been good for Clemson, but more that anything they've hit on the high ranked guys they have signed.

But Clemson has done better in the playoffs than Oklahoma so there are good evaluations and development going on while building a team that can compete in the playoffs not just make it in by beating weak conference opponents.

That's a fair point. But since we're talking about talent here, rest isn't what got all those Clemson kids drafted. I'm not sure anyone other than Alabama has had more drafted in the last 5 years. 29 picks in the last 5 drafts is a ton. And there will be a ton more this April.

Bottom line...Clemson has acquired talent that would compete every year for an SEC East, SEC, and National Title. They did so without a top 5 class until after they won their first NC. So if Tennessee does the same thing, we're in great shape.

Last edited:
In case anyone checks this thread for anything related to Dee Beckwith, who will not be attending Clemson: They play their opening round basketball game on the road tonight, then have a signing ceremony at the school tomorrow morning at 8am. Busy next few hours for the young man.

That's a fair point. But since we're talking about talent here, rest isn't what got all those Clemson kids drafted. I'm not sure anyone other than Alabama has had more drafted in the last 5 years. 29 picks in the last 5 drafts is a ton. And there will be a ton more this April.

Bottom line...Clemson has acquired talent that would compete every year for an SEC East, SEC, and National Title. They did so without a top 5 class until after they won their first NC. So if Tennessee does the same thing, we're in great shape.

I said rest, but what I really meant was healthy. I.E. their top tier talent is likely healthier at the end of the season than a school who played an SEC gauntlet schedule and thus may be better positioned to win a head-to-head game at the end of the season.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Clemson has been great and has two national titles and multiple playoff appearances to show for it. I'd like to replicate that success. Now, back to our regularly scheduled Dee Beckwith updates.

VN Store

Back