Year 5 expectations

this is ridiculous. Fulmer inherited a program in much better shape and he still didn’t win the East in his first 5 years. (But won a national championship two years later)
With this line of thinking, it’s a perpetual revolving door and we reset every five years, or less. Besides, look at what we are paying Pruitt compared to top-tier teams. We have a good coach, and the best we are going to get at that price point. Give the guy a chance.

And Fulmer did it, in no small part by consistently recruiting top 5/top 10 classes. Until this staff decides they are going to elevate their recruiting prowess beyond 15th-17th, we aren't seriously competing for jack ****.

this is ridiculous. Fulmer inherited a program in much better shape and he still didn’t win the East in his first 5 years. (But won a national championship two years later)
With this line of thinking, it’s a perpetual revolving door and we reset every five years, or less. Besides, look at what we are paying Pruitt compared to top-tier teams. We have a good coach, and the best we are going to get at that price point. Give the guy a chance.

It's a different time now than when CPF took over and truthfully CPF should have won the east much earlier than he did.

Shouldn't we expect championships at UT? If not why the hell do we invest the money?

For the results Pruitt has returned both on the field and in recruiting he is being overpaid right now, paying him more isn't going to suddenly make him a better coach and recruiter.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Two less than good things have happened so far with regard to UGA: 1) they fired Coley; 2) they got a reasonably competent transfer QB. If they hadn't have fired Coley and were depending on Carson Beck, I'd think they were vulnerable. I don't see it for 2020 now though. Anything can happen though of course. I sure do wish we were getting them in Neyland.

That thread is on this site so I will not rehash it.

I don’t really expect a undefeated season every year but every Saturday I expect to win that day.
As long as any anger for a loss doesn’t carry past that day, there is nothing wrong with it. I go into every game expecting a win. It is usually a roller coaster of emotion throughout. I am happy if we win, upset if we don’t, but ready to cheer on the team for the next game. Letting being upset build throughout the season is the part that is unhealthy.

Reactions: gnm53108
It's a different time now than when CPF took over and truthfully CPF should have won the east much earlier than he did.

Shouldn't we expect championships at UT? If not why the hell do we invest the money?

For the results Pruitt has returned both on the field and in recruiting he is being overpaid right now, paying him more isn't going to suddenly make him a better coach and recruiter.
It is the unrealistic expectations that are disturbing. It is rare that instant success happens. The team is improving both with results and roster. If you are unhappy with the current path, then by all means stop providing whatever financial support you are providing and maybe you will worry them into seeing things your way.

It is the unrealistic expectations that are disturbing. It is rare that instant success happens. The team is improving both with results and roster. If you are unhappy with the current path, then by all means stop providing whatever financial support you are providing and maybe you will worry them into seeing things your way.

LOL

Current path? What is the current path? Will the path be to start his 3rd season like he has the first two and field completely unprepared teams, continue building on the record of most 25+point losses or will it mirror the second half of last season?

This is year three so Pruitt should be able to compete with every team we face and should be able to slip up on GA or FL and get a W there. Years 4 and 5 teh east should come down to us, GA and FL and we should expect to win it by then. Those are not unrealistic expectations when other coaches in this league have met or surpassed them.

Reactions: Zues1
Pruitt has made too many hiring mistakes. He’s having to make up for it now. I find it hard to believe that Neids is anywhere the defensive tactician that Sherrer was. In fact, I think he was the best on the defensive staff, and his being hired in the NFL proves it. I think Graham and Osevet are upgrades at their positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
At year 5 in the program 9 wins is a good baseline, year in and out, with the expectation of coming in the top 2 in the east, play in the sec title game 4-6 times a decade winning half, win at least 60% of our bowl games and be in the top 20 in recruiting. Less than that you are looking for a new coach and more than that you pay the man and appreciate him for the legend he is.

if we beat all three in the same year there's a good chance we'll win the East...by year five could be a stretch though...:D

GBO!

At year 5 in the program 9 wins is a good baseline, year in and out, with the expectation of coming in the top 2 in the east, play in the sec title game 4-6 times a decade winning half, win at least 60% of our bowl games and be in the top 20 in recruiting. Less than that you are looking for a new coach and more than that you pay the man and appreciate him for the legend he is.

Top 20 in recruiting isn't going to get us to the SECCG.

We need to be top 3-4 in the conference year in and year out to get there.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
Not even thinking about year 5.. we have no idea what the roster and staff will look like, that's looking way too far ahead. Let's focus on the upcoming season.

Not even thinking about year 5.. we have no idea what the roster and staff will look like, that's looking way too far ahead. Let's focus on the upcoming season.

Aw, come on man. They will win the Super Bowl in Pruitt's fifth year.

As long as any anger for a loss doesn’t carry past that day, there is nothing wrong with it. I go into every game expecting a win. It is usually a roller coaster of emotion throughout. I am happy if we win, upset if we don’t, but ready to cheer on the team for the next game. Letting being upset build throughout the season is the part that is unhealthy.
I’m always ready by the next game. Drinking helps. Lol. Altho I do have a problem getting over some losses. Still PO’d over 96 memphis.

Pruitt has made too many hiring mistakes. He’s having to make up for it now. I find it hard to believe that Neids is anywhere the defensive tactician that Sherrer was. In fact, I think he was the best on the defensive staff, and his being hired in the NFL proves it. I think Graham and Osevet are upgrades at their positions.

Ansley?? He was in the NFL already and took Sherrer's spot as DC. And then turned us into a top 25 tier defense in one season.
Plus Pruitt himself is always heavily involved on defense.

This is year three so Pruitt should be able to compete with every team we face and should be able to slip up on GA or FL and get a W there. Years 4 and 5 teh east should come down to us, GA and FL and we should expect to win it by then. Those are not unrealistic expectations when other coaches in this league have met or surpassed them.

Agreed. This is Tennessee, and we have considerable talent on our roster going into 2020. I expect us to challenge this season. Not 2 years from now.

On paper we have one of the best O-lines and D-Lines in the conference. That has to matter!

By the end of Pruitt’s 5th season at UT would you expect him to have a win against Georgia , Florida and Bama by then? And would it be considered disappointing if he still hasn’t won the East in 5 seasons?

I think by year five we need to be at the very least beating some of those teams and competing in all of them. 10 win seasons minimum.

Strangely, we put up a fight against Bama, but not Florida or Georgia this year.

By year 5 and onwards, this should be true.

1) Competing for the East every year or at least in the discussion.
2) A loss to USCe, Vandy, Kentucky, Mizzou are considered upsets.
3) We should be able to play with and at times beat GA, UF or Bama. In others words, if we win it isn't a major upset. We may have years where we lose all three, but not blowout losses in all 3. We should expect though that we can win any of the 3 and not expect to lose all 3.

Reactions: LittleVol
LOL

Current path? What is the current path? Will the path be to start his 3rd season like he has the first two and field completely unprepared teams, continue building on the record of most 25+point losses or will it mirror the second half of last season?

The current path is taking the worst team in UT history and showing substantial improvement in the first two years. Before you start preaching about beating mediocre opponents to end the year, CPF made a career out of a laughably easy November schedule to close out the year. They got ambushed by GaSt, and were beaten when one of our best defenders went brain dead on what should have been the last play against BYU. After that, we beat every team we realistically should have.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
I’m hoping soon these games get close. But I can see in the near future where we win one or the other...Fla. or Ga. and wait hoping the team that must win in the cocktail bowl beats the one where we’re in the SEC championship game. Then taking them both out the next year or two and still lose to Bama or win. This isn’t an easy hill to climb guys. This is the premier conference and wins aren’t gonna be easy. This is gonna take time to put all the pieces together. VFL

Ansley?? He was in the NFL already and took Sherrer's spot as DC. And then turned us into a top 25 tier defense in one season.
Plus Pruitt himself is always heavily involved on defense.
Kind of my point. He had to fix not really hiring a DC year one. Sherrer Was a very good position coach. Better than Neids.

The current path is taking the worst team in UT history and showing substantial improvement in the first two years. Before you start preaching about beating mediocre opponents to end the year, CPF made a career out of a laughably easy November schedule to close out the year. They got ambushed by GaSt, and were beaten when one of our best defenders went brain dead on what should have been the last play against BYU. After that, we beat every team we realistically should have.

Yay? Let's hope we climb a little higher this year and next. If we do then the expectation should be an appearance in the SECCG.

VN Store

Back