Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
That wasn't the argument. It was over the affordability of college these days. It isn't a choice if someone else can have a mother who is a teacher or can commute.
College “choice” is the #1 driver of College “cost”.

EVERYONE has choices with regards to secondary education. You need not be the child of a teacher. EVERYONE can choose to get intro credits out of the way at the local CC.

You CHOOSE to go to a private college? You CHOOSE to go out of State? You CHOOSE some crazy obscure program of study?

YOU will pay. And that is on YOU.

Totally agree. I wish I had a better understanding, but I don't get why prices are going up when knowledge is more easily attainable than ever. Is it the race for "research universities"? Nicer and nicer student housing? Technology and infrastructure?

Public universities should be incentivized to lower costs in reasonable ways. Maybe offer more remote courses, offer cheap student housing, decrease campus size and sell off underutilized buildings, etc.
Why have prices gone up?

The Federal Government guarantees tuition payments.

Of course the prices are going to go up. There’s an unlimited amount of money, and there is a 0% chance of default.

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
Regarding body fat %.

There is up to a 10% margin of error depending on the method. You could test at 5% and be 15%. BIA is the worst method and used most widely. DEXA is the best and has a 5 % error. True body fat can only be known though autopsy, so everyone is guessing and most everyone has a reference point on their mind based off of some image some dude found and posted a bf% number on. Guesses on top of estimations.

Dudes don’t walk around at 4%. They diet for 4-12 months, typically with steroids to assist them and stagger to the stage having not been able to get an errection for weeks or months as testosterone levels have reached castration levels. Strength levels have dropped at least 20% as you are literally starving.

Minutes after leaving the stage they binge eat as ghrelin levels are out of this world and hunger cannot be quenched. Most will gain 20 pounds within days... some literally over night.

The best picture of Shaq I have seen has not looked anywhere under 15%. As a basketball player 10-15% is probably optimal to support performance while being lean enough to stay explosive

People severely underestimate how much fat they are carrying
What you got the Gumbo Guard Zion at?

If Unis did, then states wouldn't be cutting state support. You're in Arizona, man. It's the poster child for state legislatures gutting higher ed funding...
Crow owns the legislature here bruh. Big dick weight. ASU isn’t hurting at alllll. Education funding is a fraud anyways. Those delegated to fund distribution are frauds.

That wasn't the argument. It was over the affordability of college these days. It isn't a choice if someone else can have a mother who is a teacher or can commute.
It is a choice what school you go to and the costs you choose to incur, you act like kids have no choice, you want low costs for college? Work hard and get a scholarship, they have a ton of opportunities out there for academic, faith-based, and community service based scholarships, or choose a low cost state school, or community college for two years, the TN Promise gives kids free college for 2 years at a community college, the rest that don't will have to live with their choices and any debt incurred

The reason tuition is high is because you've got whole departments trying to come up with new pronouns for people that aren't sure what they are and bathrooms for people that can't pick one of the two. You've got teachers over there that never see the classroom but have assistants teach. You've got 20 administrators for every professor. We fall further and further behind every year to other countries because we've went away from teaching kids what will get them ahead on life. Other countries laugh at our dysfunction .

InVol, more often than not we're on the same side of debates, so here goes...

1) Gender studies, area studies, etc. make up a very small part of the expenditures compared to salaries, infrastructure, and start-up packages for STEM. Or business. Having the types of classes that challenge students are part of the longstanding, western way of doing higher education that has served us well since the Renaissance. Getting rid of that would be a mistake, and students know what majors can get them jobs and which won't. The market corrects itself, which is why Philosophy departments always struggle for majors (unless they're good at prepping for law school) and biology doesn't (because, med school).

2) Adjuncts actually keep the price down, but are crazy exploitative, and the degree of exploitation varies substantially from university to university. In my department, we don't have any adjuncts, and I work my @#$ off doing teaching, service, and research. Case in point - today I taught a 172 person lecture, taught a grad stats class, edited our department webpage and social media, edited a thesis draft, had multiple meetings, and now I'm sitting at home peer-reviewing a paper to "wind down." I would much rather work hard than take advantage of a colleague who's getting paid peanuts with no benefits.

3) I agree there are TOO MANY administrators. If I ever become a Dean, I will be having a lot of Office Space style "What is it that you do here?" conversations.

4) I would argue that makes our education system superior to China, for example, is that we have a system that strives to create well-rounded, critical thinkers versus narrowly focusing on STEM fields. There's a reason they have been so much intellectual theft by China. In higher ed, they focus on quantity, whereas we've focused on quality. As a result of our system, we've been ahead of the curve in creativity. I worry that "no child left behind" have effectively robbed a generation of the ability to be intellectually creative in favor of making them superior test takers.

Crow owns the legislature here bruh. Big dick weight. ASU isn’t hurting at alllll. Education funding is a fraud anyways. Those delegated to fund distribution are frauds.

Naw, dude. When I was there the state legislature was slashing budgets, and whole departments folded up at UofA because of it. Granted, UofA had a run of university presidents that were buffoons and probably need a round of financial soul-searching.

Naw, dude. When I was there the state legislature was slashing budgets, and whole departments folded up at UofA because of it. Granted, UofA had a run of university presidents that were buffoons and probably need a round of financial soul-searching.
Tucson

InVol, more often than not we're on the same side of debates, so here goes...

1) Gender studies, area studies, etc. make up a very small part of the expenditures compared to salaries, infrastructure, and start-up packages for STEM. Or business. Having the types of classes that challenge students are part of the longstanding, western way of doing higher education that has served us well since the Renaissance. Getting rid of that would be a mistake, and students know what majors can get them jobs and which won't. The market corrects itself, which is why Philosophy departments always struggle for majors (unless they're good at prepping for law school) and biology doesn't (because, med school).

2) Adjuncts actually keep the price down, but are crazy exploitative, and the degree of exploitation varies substantially from university to university. In my department, we don't have any adjuncts, and I work my @#$ off doing teaching, service, and research. Case in point - today I taught a 172 person lecture, taught a grad stats class, edited our department webpage and social media, edited a thesis draft, had multiple meetings, and now I'm sitting at home peer-reviewing a paper to "wind down." I would much rather work hard than take advantage of a colleague who's getting paid peanuts with no benefits.

3) I agree there are TOO MANY administrators. If I ever become a Dean, I will be having a lot of Office Space style "What is it that you do here?" conversations.

4) I would argue that makes our education system superior to China, for example, is that we have a system that strives to create well-rounded, critical thinkers versus narrowly focusing on STEM fields. There's a reason they have been so much intellectual theft by China. In higher ed, they focus on quantity, whereas we've focused on quality. As a result of our system, we've been ahead of the curve in creativity. I worry that "no child left behind" have effectively robbed a generation of the ability to be intellectually creative in favor of making them superior test takers.
I didn't mean that as a slam on professors more of a slam at those above. There are way too many things that distract or take away from actually training our youth to succeed in our society. While we may have been doing gender studies and other stuff that really wont pay the bills it continually puts us behind. My son is at UT no as a electrical engineering student. He hates all the "crap" he has to take that has zero to do with being an engineer. It's a total waste. He could graduate in three years if he didn't have to take it. It's classes that he'll have zero retention. The only reason they want him to take it is because it props those field of studies up. They wouldn't survive without being mandatory.

Other countries don't do education the way we do. They train doctors to be doctors. They train engineers to be engineers. They train computer scientist to be computer scientist. I'm not talking about China either, I'm talking about Japan, and other nations. Italy for instance trains engineers like trades school. Very focused. We need a total revamp of how we teach our students, all just my opinion.

I didn't mean that as a slam on professors more of a slam at those above. There are way too many things that distract or take away from actually training our youth to succeed in our society. While we may have been doing gender studies and other stuff that really wont pay the bills it continually puts us behind. My son is at UT no as a electrical engineering student. He hates all the "crap" he has to take that has zero to do with being an engineer. It's a total waste. He could graduate in three years if he didn't have to take it. It's classes that he'll have zero retention. The only reason they want him to take it is because it props those field of studies up. They wouldn't survive without being mandatory.

Other countries don't do education the way we do. They train doctors to be doctors. They train engineers to be engineers. They train computer scientist to be computer scientist. I'm not talking about China either, I'm talking about Japan, and other nations. Italy for instance trains engineers like trades school. Very focused. We need a total revamp of how we teach our students, all just my opinion.

I think after a cold beer or two we would find out we agree more than we disagree.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I shot from 5'0 and 145# (fat little kid) to 5'11 150# in 1 year

I love when people on message boards use themselves to somehow compare to athletes, whether it’s growth, size or their measly high school or D-3 stats. No one is impressed by 5’11. Very average. I’m 6’1 and that’s still nothing to create conversation over. All of us had growth spurts. You grew. It’s not mind blowing.

I was responding to someone else I didn't say that I was trying to impress anybody who are you trying to impress? No worries, I've looked into your background and have come to the conclusion that you don't have anything to offer, so therefore you have earned to my ignore list.

Last edited:
I was responding to someone else I didn't say that I was trying to impress anybody who are you trying to impress?

I love when people on message boards use themselves to somehow compare to athletes, whether it’s growth, size or their measly high school or D-3 stats. No one is impressed by 5’11. Very average. I’m 6’1 and that’s still nothing to create conversation over. All of us had growth spurts. You grew. It’s not mind blowing.

I bet you're a real hit at parties...

College “choice” is the #1 driver of College “cost”.

EVERYONE has choices with regards to secondary education. You need not be the child of a teacher. EVERYONE can choose to get intro credits out of the way at the local CC.

You CHOOSE to go to a private college? You CHOOSE to go out of State? You CHOOSE some crazy obscure program of study?

YOU will pay. And that is on YOU.

Damn, Sugar in here make sense...

I have 2 degrees, one is a trade school and one an associates level. Paid both 100% out of pocket, parent's helped some and I worked at a call center making a shade over minimum wage and paid off the rest myself. By the time my first "in the field" job opportunity came along I was out of debt on student loans.

I think most kids want "to go away to college" more than they want to go to college. TN has basically free junior college now, there's not reason for any kid not on some sort of big time scholarship to just go to a 2 year school to get their feet wet and figure out what they actually want to pursue. Knock out as much general/entry level courses as you can and then move on to the 4 year university for the last 2 or 3 years. It'll be cheaper, you'll have adjusted more to how college courses/professors work and you'll have 2 years outta HS to mature and work.

I love the irony here...you -still- had to give us your height despite mocking someone else for doing it.

For those missing OD, here's an excerpt from the PF.

Sitting in my office this morning, a guy from Fedex guy says, can I sell you a Bernie Sanders shirt? I turn around, and I say what? He says, can I sell you a Bernie Sanders shirt? I say no, but I can give you a Donald Trump bobble head and a poster of Trump. He says why are you a Trump supporter? I say, well did you see what happened last night and this morning with the Iowa crap? He says yea, I’ve seen that there isn’t a winner yet, and I’m frustrated. I say, well, that’s what you get for being a democrat. He says, yea, I know, but I like Bernie. I say to him, well, you can always turn and become a Trump supporter. He says why should I do that? I said, well, don’t you work for a living? He says yea, I’ve been with Fedex for 27 years now. I said do you know that he is everything for free, but you work? He says, yea, I’ve never had anything free though. I said do you know your taxes was cut by Trump? He says yea, I’m making more money now than I’ve ever. I said do you know that he is going to raise your taxes if he wins? He says no I didn’t know that? He said show me. So I look up on what he and dems want to do, and showed him. He says what? I said there you go. He says you know what? I said what? I’m going to take back these Bernie shirts back to the DNC, and go get shirts for Trump and sell them, I’ve had it. I said well there is the MAGA red hats to. He said that he would get them to. I said alright, give me a five for Trump. He says yes sir, and said I’m going to vote for Trump in November and says Thank you for opening my eyes. I said no problem. He walks out feeling pretty good about Trump and give me a Bernie Sanders shirt to burn. I guess you can always turn someone from a different view if they’re blind to the truth. 😂😂👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back