247: Vols' projected depth chart next season

@1vol8 and @k-town_king

Go to the 1:45:42 mark where the announcer cannot understand why JG was put back in and says that the Vols were "playing with fire" last time out with Maurer.
I just rewatched all the games the past few days. I remember it vividly. In fact I just posted the same thing. My bad. It’s also worth mentioning that one of them was an ex qb.

What I personally find interesting in regards to the services is their “misses” are not only the most dominant players in the league but some are the most dominant players the league has ever seen. Randy Moss of all players was a 0 star! 🤯

Roman Harrison
Keyshawn Lawrence
Morven Joseph
Quavarius Crouch
Are the key to our defense next year.

Those 4 have to play a lot in my opinion.
I’m more inclined to say that we need the interior lineman to be quicker off the ball. We need more bull rush up the middle. This is where we need to see the most improvement. The DE.’s in my opinion I think DeA. Johnson and K. Bennett needs to step up to next level. When it comes to blitzing with this team it seems to come from everywhere. CB., NB., lb., safety. It’s not just the DE.’s that’s bringing it. I agree we need speed rush off the ends but there gonna be slowly played into that roll due to experience. Roman is the first man up because of his playing experience. Morven will be in the same roll as Roman was from last year. K. Lawrence and possibly D. Slaughter is important.

I’m more inclined to say that we need the interior lineman to be quicker off the ball. We need more bull rush up the middle. This is where we need to see the most improvement. The DE.’s in my opinion I think DeA. Johnson and K. Bennett needs to step up to next level. When it comes to blitzing with this team it seems to come from everywhere. CB., NB., lb., safety. It’s not just the DE.’s that’s bringing it. I agree we need speed rush off the ends but there gonna be slowly played into that roll due to experience. Roman is the first man up because of his playing experience. Morven will be in the same roll as Roman was from last year. K. Lawrence and possibly D. Slaughter is important.

Johnson has never been an impact guy.
Bennett came on strong as did Harrison at the end of the year. And they're OLB not DEs
Butler and Solomon are probably going to be your starting DEs. But we're 3 deep on the DL this year.

Crouch probably needs to be Henry T running mate. Joseph brings pass rush ability at any LB spot. Of course Ansley will create pressure from everywhere, but the key is to have the top talent out there to make the individual plays as well.

Bennett came on strong as did Harrison at the end of the year. And they're OLB not DEs
Butler and Solomon are probably going to be your starting DEs. But we're 3 deep on the DL this year.

Crouch probably needs to be Henry T running mate. Joseph brings pass rush ability at any LB spot. Of course Ansley will create pressure from everywhere, but the key is to have the top talent out there to make the individual plays as well.
As you alluded, starting is almost academic with the DL rotation we have set. Butler will log plenty of snaps but imo nothing’s breaking up Middleton/Solomon as starting DE’s.

Reactions: LittleVol
I’ve explained this before and have no interest in creating another rival on this board but that is a common misconception. The star rating is actually a pro potential “prediction”. It has to do with skill set coming out of Hs. Not physical size. If that were the case Russel Wilson (another 3*) would’ve never seen a single star. He’s literally gained 14 pounds since Hs. However I’m sure you’re right to a degree as well. I’m sure they take into consideration the likelihood of college impact as well but overall it’s a gauge of the likelihood of said player going pro.

I never mentioned how big or small the player is. I said how physically ready they are to compete in college. Wilson’s and Mahome’s ability to make all the throws necessary at the college level coming out of HS was probably behind higher rated players. But as they progressed in college once there, they became stars.

I never mentioned how big or small the player is. I said how physically ready they are to compete in college. Wilson’s and Mahome’s ability to make all the throws necessary at the college level coming out of HS was probably behind higher rated players. But as they progressed in college once there, they became stars.
So by that assumption we are saying that JTS should’ve been much higher rated? It’s OK we have a difference in opinion but my opinion is the rating system is based on pro potential Which is stated in the explanation buy 24 seven I believe.

As you alluded, starting is almost academic with the DL rotation we have set. Butler will log plenty of snaps but imo nothing’s breaking up Middleton/Solomon as starting DE’s.

Did you know he registered 45 freaking total tackles? Butler? And 2.5 sacks
I didn't until I checked.

Middleton is the best prospect period.
We have 5 NFL guys on our D-line.

Member before last season...we didn’t have ANY? And they were there the whole time!

Its crazy!
Even Bumphis is an intriguing prospect as a SDE in 4 man front who can also stand up and play OLB. And he was a TE most of his career.

People on here wanting Rocker to "kick rocks" are out of their pea-brained minds.

Let somebody else recruit. Pay Rocker!

So by that assumption we are saying that JTS should’ve been much higher rated? It’s OK we have a difference in opinion but my opinion is the rating system is based on pro potential Which is stated in the explanation buy 24 seven I believe.

It’s all good and we can agree to disagree, no worries whatsoever. I was going off an interview with a recruiting analyst I was listening to on a podcast a while back that explained the rankings and stars of recruits and that’s what I came away with. My original reply to you was a bit harsh - apologies Vol brethren

It’s all good and we can agree to disagree, no worries whatsoever. I was going off an interview with a recruiting analyst I was listening to on a podcast a while back that explained the rankings and stars of recruits and that’s what I came away with. My original reply to you was a bit harsh - apologies Vol brethren
No issues. I’ve always respected you and your posts. I’m going off of the written explanation on 247s website. It’s a bit foggy so each opinion can be supported. Given how they explain it in the text it’s easy to see how one can think one way or the other. I’ll see if I can find it (it’s been about 5 years since I’ve read it) and post it for you and you’ll see what I mean. But given how they only allow 32 5*(because there’s 32teams) recruits a class to match the first round of the NFL draft tells me it’s based on NFL potential. But like I said.... I’ll post it if I find it and anyone can draw their own conclusions based on their interpretation.

Reactions: The Original Fade
I can’t find what I read back then and what I did find I comprehend in your favor so I gotta concede defeat. Until we meet again......😂

Reactions: The Original Fade

OLB/DE they are your end rushers down lineman aren’t getting to the Qb the quickest. Bennett + DeA Johnson + Harrison = D Taylor...Your rush End/OLB !!! I agree talent needs to be on the field, but they got to know what they’re doing. Your gonna see the elderly before the newbies. lol There’s a whole slew of upperclassman let’s see how they respond. This is the best depth that Tennessee has had in quite sometime. Fifth and four year Seniors WOW.....Were not needing the youth parade this year. But let them all get to camp and let experience and youth mix it up and put the best man out there. Newbie or elderly lol

OLB/DE they are your end rushers down lineman aren’t getting to the Qb the quickest. Bennett + DeA Johnson + Harrison = D Taylor...Your rush End/OLB !!! I agree talent needs to be on the field, but they got to know what they’re doing. Your gonna see the elderly before the newbies. lol There’s a whole slew of upperclassman let’s see how they respond. This is the best depth that Tennessee has had in quite sometime. Fifth and four year Seniors WOW.....Were not needing the youth parade this year. But let them all get to camp and let experience and youth mix it up and put the best man out there. Newbie or elderly lol
Edge rushers...not end.

The 3-4 isn’t the only defense that they ran. You can read off a depth chart all you want. But it still comes done to rushing of the End./DE. We never got much pressure from that set of alignment basically all year.

There are DE in the 3-4.
Buy your logic, here is what you're actually implying

DE Harrison
DE Middleton
NT Emerson
DE Solomon
DE Bennett

And that's simply not correct.

Reactions: butchna
There are DE in the 3-4.

DE Harrison
DE Middleton
NT Emerson
DE Solomon
DE Bennett

I’m not Implying nothing more than the fact is all these players have a different skill SET ! Some have there hand on the ground. Some split out on the end either hand down or standing and come off the end as a true DE. Period!!! You will NOT get all of that out of each one of those your labeling as a DE. The depth chart 3-4 is the basic. That changes play to play and game to game. They still recruit SDE and WDE because of there skill sets. That allows them to be flexible with there schemes. The 2021 new recruit commit who’s 6’-6” is what there now looking for because of these new offenses getting the ball out of the Qb’s hands quicker. Taller lengthy DE’s that can get there hands up.

There are DE in the 3-4.

DE Harrison
DE Middleton
NT Emerson
DE Solomon
DE Bennett

I think he may be going off of the 4 man front look we employ. Can be confusing if you’re simply looking at hands on the ground vs responsibilities. There’s a flexibility in a Belichick/Saban/Pruitt 3-4 with 4 man front that the traditional 4-3 doesn’t have. 4-3 down linemen generate a push with the DTs and pressure from the DEs and the LBers cover while accounting for runners who get past the front line. 3-4 down linemen both generate a push but also occupy blockers allowing the ILBs to make a large number of tackles optimally near or behind the line of scrimmage and the OLBs (edge rushers) supply the pass rush and most TFL. That’s my understanding accounting for different looks from different coordinators.

I’m not Implying nothing more than the fact is all these players have a different skill SET ! Some have there hand on the ground. Some split out on the end either hand down or standing and come off the end as a true DE. Period!!! You will NOT get all of that out of each one of those your labeling as a DE. The depth chart 3-4 is the basic. That changes play to play and game to game. They still recruit SDE and WDE because of there skill sets. That allows them to be flexible with there schemes. The 2021 new recruit commit who’s 6’-6” is what there now looking for because of these new offenses getting the ball out of the Qb’s hands quicker. Taller lengthy DE’s that can get there hands up.
Assuming today’s commit is an edge, and it appears he is, then he’s not going to be a down lineman in a 3-4. Maybe it’s semantics that you’re arguing...but it doesn’t sound like it.

Assuming today’s commit is an edge, and it appears he is, then he’s not going to be a down lineman in a 3-4. Maybe it’s semantics that you’re arguing...but it doesn’t sound like it.
Nope he’s a SDE....Let me spell that out for you. Strong side defensive END ! Your wrong about arguing I’m not playing alone with your remakes. I notice your remarks to others on the site. You can paint your little 3-4 D all you want but it’s basic. Skill sets Change the scheme of alignments play to play with the rotation of players that come into the game. That 3-4 your talking can just be a look to confuse the QB. The moment that so called OLB that you refer to walks up to line of scrimmage to set the edge and or rushes the QB is a DE. Your D just became 4-3 D.!!! They run the 4-3 defense all the time and I hate it for you but he’s not an edge rusher In a 3-4 unless he backs out into that set.

Nope he’s a SDE....Let me spell that out for you. Strong side defensive END ! Your wrong about arguing I’m not playing alone with your remakes. I notice your remarks to others on the site. You can paint your little 3-4 D all you want but it’s basic. Skill sets Change the scheme of alignments play to play with the rotation of players that come into the game. That 3-4 your talking can just be a look to confuse the QB. The moment that so called OLB that you refer to walks up to line of scrimmage to set the edge and or rushes the QB is a DE. Your D just became 4-3 D.!!! They run the 4-3 defense all the time and I hate it for you but he’s not an edge rusher In a 3-4 unless he backs out into that set.
We’re at an impasse. Our DEs in our 3-4 run in the 270-290 range or more...not 230. Maybe like Tyler Baron he can grow into that role but he’s an OLB currently. Still uncertain how we deploy Baron. We don’t run a 4-3...we move our OLBs wide or tight. Part of the beauty of the 3-4’s flexibility. Unless he’s taking on an OL directly in the 3-4...he’s an OLB. Lawrence Taylor...wiki him bruh.

I think he may be going off of the 4 man front look we employ. Can be confusing if you’re simply looking at hands on the ground vs responsibilities. There’s a flexibility in a Belichick/Saban/Pruitt 3-4 with 4 man front that the traditional 4-3 doesn’t have. 4-3 down linemen generate a push with the DTs and pressure from the DEs and the LBers cover while accounting for runners who get past the front line. 3-4 down linemen both generate a push but also occupy blockers allowing the ILBs to make a large number of tackles optimally near or behind the line of scrimmage and the OLBs (edge rushers) supply the pass rush and most TFL. That’s my understanding accounting for different looks from different coordinators.
yes

VN Store

Back