Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how people afford that. It is ridiculous.
Many can, but can't. Expenses toward auto payments and upkeep is one of the worst decisions and factors that keeps average people from saving more and retiring earlier, if not merely staying out of debt. I couldn't even count how many auto loans I used to write at the bank for people that had housing payments less than 1k and they would turn around and spend $600+ a month on a brand new truck.

Average US auto total upkeep cost is creeping toward 10k per annum. Mostly just to keep up with the Joneses. Silly iyam. I have an old Toyota Avalon I have calculated total cost (gas, repairs, tags, oil, emissions test, etc) over the last 10 years has been $900/year. It's almost like free transportation. Now, living close to work and downtown helps keeps mileage down. But riding out a reliable car till its old age is what really does the trick. Once you find your mule, don't give her up.

Feels like a false dichotomy argument. It's not about about players being compensated at all or not (clearly they are), but rather what is their proper equity? It would be akin to working for a billion dollar company with 200 employees and their "workhorse" junior employees being told to be happy making 30k/year. Are they getting paid? Sure. Is it equitable? Probably not.

At institutions bringing in a minimum of $120m revenue ('17-'18 USA Today top-25 MINIMUM revenue), 85 kids making 50k/year would be a WHOPPING....3.5% of their budget. Now, that doesn't even have to be paid immediately. It could be put toward future healthcare, a trust fund, etc for the kid's long term benefit and care, given that he has sacrificed his body and mind for the university's gain. I don't think 3.5% is that much to ask to give an employee even a fraction of his actual value.

I am not sure where to start on this. Do you work in the real world? How you describe it is exactly how the real world works. Lower level employees make less, and high level management makes much more.

Plus, there are problems with your scenario. Revenue is different than what is being saved in the bank as there are expenses, and you better believe every sport is going to be asking for a piece of the pie. Pay football players and not basketball? Lady Vols? Softball? Tennis? Golf?

I am actually fine with a stipend where they get paid maybe $1k per month for what they now term "cost of attendance." I am not just not a fan of much else. Just wait and see if they do open up a market to get paid. The 3rd string OL will be paid nothing while the NFL caliber OT will be paid $100k, which is exactly what you described in your scenario above. Kind of ironic.

We often use the “lifting weights during the season” tweet from Wes Rucker which is hilarious by the way,personally I don’t like Wes Rucker at all but I came across this Beauty today and I honestly laughed my a$$ off for a pretty good 30 minutes when I seen it because I completely forgot that I screenshot it on here a while back.

Attachments

• 9CEE7957-8D2B-40D9-B5EE-AEA963FE7339.png
    9CEE7957-8D2B-40D9-B5EE-AEA963FE7339.png
    938.5 KB · Views: 190
I am not sure where to start on this. Do you work in the real world? How you describe it is exactly how the real world works. Lower level employees make less, and high level management makes much more.

Plus, there are problems with your scenario. Revenue is different than what is being saved in the bank as there are expenses, and you better believe every sport is going to be asking for a piece of the pie. Pay football players and not basketball? Lady Vols? Softball? Tennis? Golf?

I am actually fine with a stipend where they get paid maybe $1k per month for what they now term "cost of attendance." I am not just not a fan of much else. Just wait and see if they do open up a market to get paid. The 3rd string OL will be paid nothing while the NFL caliber OT will be paid $100k, which is exactly what you described in your scenario above. Kind of ironic.

They should open up the market. If you want to know what these guys are worth have open bidding between the NFL and NCAA teams. Have the player forfeit their scholarship to participate and allow them to secure representation in a limited engagement. That's free market capitalism right there and exactly how the "real world" works for folks with other skill sets.

I guarantee you if that's the case a guy like Zach Evans is making high six figures next year unless someone figures out he's really BTK.

Reactions: Devo182
Many can, but can't. Expenses toward auto payments and upkeep is one of the worst decisions and factors that keeps average people from saving more and retiring earlier, if not merely staying out of debt. I couldn't even count how many auto loans I used to write at the bank for people that had housing payments less than 1k and they would turn around and spend $600+ a month on a brand new truck.

Average US auto total upkeep cost is creeping toward 10k per annum. Mostly just to keep up with the Joneses. Silly iyam. I have an old Toyota Avalon I have calculated total cost (gas, repairs, tags, oil, emissions test, etc) over the last 10 years has been $900/year. It's almost like free transportation. Now, living close to work and downtown helps keeps mileage down. But riding out a reliable car till its old age is what really does the trick. Once you find your mule, don't give her up.
We have a 20 year old Cavalier that looks like total crap, but she only cost me 800$, and a 11 year old G6 that had 172,000 when I bought it for 1600$ three years ago and have put 80,000 more miles on...the only thing I have had to spend is brakes, tires and maintenance...but most people would not be caught dead driving them.

no, no, I see where you are getting confused. That's for the players on the team. For them she is like an old Galaga game that has been jail broke. Gum in the coin slot. You can play forever. The coaches however still need coins but you know it's like leprechaun with a stomach flu, I mean there are coins everywhere.

My mistake. Coaches be like.....
source.gif

The fact you consider the players the lower level employees says everything I need to know. Let's not even get into ceo vs employee comp ratios. And yes, I work in the real world fwiw. Cpa and financial analyst. Get rev vs profit just fine...don't think 3.5%, in a non profit environment, is much regardless and simply a reallocation of funds. Would affect all schools, so not a competitive disadvantage. I would delve into semi-political areas if we went further into equity arguments, so I'll leave it here. Nor do I even really have a dog in the fight, so wth. Would rather the next 10 pages not being about paying players, so I'll shake your hand and exit 🙋

Last edited:
Need unions to get their balls back
The average vehicle in the 70s, 80s and 90s disnt have all the high tech options cars do now.

I wish I could get a truck that the outside looked like the top of line trucks, but without all the crap like backing assist, blind spot warnings, cameras, wifi, heated and coolingsteering wheel and seats, giant touch screen radios etc. All that crap is just more that can break, and cost insane amounts to fix

They should open up the market. If you want to know what these guys are worth have open bidding between the NFL and NCAA teams. Have the player forfeit their scholarship to participate and allow them to secure representation in a limited engagement. That's free market capitalism right there and exactly how the "real world" works for folks with other skill sets.

I guarantee you if that's the case a guy like Zach Evans is making high six figures next year unless someone figures out he's really BTK.

Yea, the only problem is that I wasn't allowed to practice law until I essentially completed 7 years of school. I could have learned the basics in one year, but the requirement is that I earn an undergraduate, JD, AND then pass a freaking exam. That's not open market in the field of law. There are other industries exactly like that. A person may be intellectually able to do the job but cannot because of certain requirements.

The NFL/NBA also have the right to set age requirements. With the CTE stuff and even other injuries, I would advise the NFL to never consider letting a 17/18 year old in the league. That is a recipe for disaster.

A true free market society gets out of hand. There have to be some regulations.

The fact you consider the lower level employees says everything I need to know. Let's not even get into ceo vs employee comp ratios. And yes, I work in the real world fwiw. Cpa and financial analyst. Get rev vs profit just fine...don't think 3.5%, in a non profit environment, is much regardless and simply a reallocation of funds. Would affect all schools, so not a competitive disadvantage. I would delve into semi-political areas if we went further into equity arguments, so I'll leave it here. Nor do I even really have a dog in the fight, so wth. Would rather the next 10 pages not being about paying players, so I'll shake your hand and exit 🙋

I'm out if they turn this into pro football. I hate professional sports..it is souless garbage.

Reactions: tnvols72
Like most things, wages aren't matching price increases.

1970 - average car cost $3500
1970 average income - $9870

2019 average light vehicle - $37,129
2019 average income - $31,099

This is factual, but really doesn't tell the entire story. The technology, emissions, and safety equipment of a 1970 vehicle is dramatically less. Additionally, the legal and governmental oversight climate has dramatically increased the liability of auto companies. It's somewhat apples and oranges.

Dirty Old Bastard! Wish he didn't have that nasty injury at A&M. Our defense was all downhill from there.

That was the greatest comeback in recent memory, along with Indiana this year, and UGA 2015.
The injury isn’t why Danny O didn’t play again the rest of the year. Pretty sure he had another positive drug test while he was at the hospital for the injury, and it was his final strike.

The fact you consider the lower level employees says everything I need to know. Let's not even get into ceo vs employee comp ratios. And yes, I work in the real world fwiw. Cpa and financial analyst. Get rev vs profit just fine...don't think 3.5%, in a non profit environment, is much regardless and simply a reallocation of funds. Would affect all schools, so not a competitive disadvantage. I would delve into semi-political areas if we went further into equity arguments, so I'll leave it here. Nor do I even really have a dog in the fight, so wth. Would rather the next 10 pages not being about paying players, so I'll shake your hand and exit 🙋

Lol. Every company has people that make more than others. Some are entry level positions, and some are higher level positions. I actually agree with you about some of the CEO compensation. But, we don't have to be PC when discussing a company hierarchy. It exists everywhere. Some people make more important decisions and get paid more for it.

That said, it's probably a good call. Let's bow out and talk about something else.

I hate the idea of paying players. Go to the XFL and break yourself for peanuts if you don't want to play for an education. I hate the pros and rarely if ever watch them. Money ruins everything.
Money is power. Those that have money wants others to think that money is bad. With that said, there is enough money being made on collegiate sports to pay every athlete a standard wage. They're adults, so tax it.

Reactions: T Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back