The ‘So Crazy It Just Might Work’ thread

Okay, here’s one:

Jaiden at low post and —- drumroll —- JORDAN at high post. Set up a surprise play in which those two use their combined strength, body control and passing ability to get a score. Jaz at point, Rennia at shooting guard, and Rae as a ball hawk/rover/decoy. o_O

I really would like to see some surprise actions in there when we really need a breakthrough bucket or change in mmentum.

Reactions: Chitownvol1129
Volfan it drives me nuts how our girls just drive into traffic and lose the dang ball....Often they are wide open for the pull up 8-10 footer, but "no" into trouble they go.....Where's the coaching?
Yes, to coaching but it's hard for me to understand how a player can continue to do the same thing over and over with the same negative result without eventually having an aha, lightbulb moment as a result of experience or from watching film.

Yes, to coaching but it's hard for me to understand how a player can continue to do the same thing over and over with the same negative result without eventually having an aha, lightbulb moment as a result of experience or from watching film.

My guess is it’s because some athletes are all body, no brain when they play. Sometimes that’s a blessing — overthinking can ruin a player — and sometimes it’s a curse. Some of our players need to develop the connection between their brains and bodies, and if I were the coach, those players would be put on a daily controlled performance visualization routine in the training room. Just like they were treating a sore ankle, I’d make it mandatory, and I’d make it scripted and supervised.

Reactions: Creekdog
Does anyone else have any other “crazy but might just work” ideas? It doesn’t have to be anything that becomes the new-normal for the team — just something you think might be intriguing enough to try even once. Have some fun with it! :D
I don't know if this idea is crazy or insane but I keep think we need to move Saunders and McCoy into some of the playing time that KK is getting. I don't Know how either could play any worse than she did against UConn and for some reason I feel like they would improve the team with their play when Key is not in there.

Before moving Rae to the post, I'd give Emily and Jaiden both more PT. I hate to throw anyone under the bus, but KK just isn't getting it done in competitive games. She's too slow and can't hang on to the ball.
Yes true but she put a whipping on Air Force and Pellissippi State.

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
Volfan it drives me nuts how our girls just drive into traffic and lose the dang ball....Often they are wide open for the pull up 8-10 footer, but "no" into trouble they go.....Where's the coaching?
This worked in AAU at all those Showcase Exposure Elite Classic Events so that’s all they know.

Does anyone else have any other “crazy but might just work” ideas? It doesn’t have to be anything that becomes the new-normal for the team — just something you think might be intriguing enough to try even once. Have some fun with it! :D
Why not start McCoy, Saunders, KK and Key and 5th starter could be Rennie at PG!

Another crazy idea:

LVOCD becomes the team psychologist in charge of performance visualization. :p

I watched the segment on Pat from the Nine for IX documentary this past week and your post made me think of when they did that. Showed them laying on the court doing visualization. I think it was before one of the national championship games.

Reactions: lvocd
My guess is it’s because some athletes are all body, no brain when they play. Sometimes that’s a blessing — overthinking can ruin a player — and sometimes it’s a curse. Some of our players need to develop the connection between their brains and bodies, and if I were the coach, those players would be put on a daily controlled performance visualization routine in the training room. Just like they were treating a sore ankle, I’d make it mandatory, and I’d make it scripted and supervised.
Visualization exercises might help with free throws also.

Why not start McCoy, Saunders, KK and Key and 5th starter could be Rennie at PG!
Think I'd rather have Harris in there for Key with that lineup. I don't want her to suffer the humiliation of getting bombed.

Okay, here’s one:

Jaiden at low post and —- drumroll —- JORDAN at high post. Set up a surprise play in which those two use their combined strength, body control and passing ability to get a score. Jaz at point, Rennia at shooting guard, and Rae as a ball hawk/rover/decoy. o_O

I really would like to see some surprise actions in there when we really need a breakthrough bucket or change in mmentum.

Absolutely, every coach should have a play that works 99% of the time when you are desperate for a basket. As lvocd said, a momentum breaker. And this bag of tricks should be supplemented during the course of the season. IMO

Reactions: mcannon1
Okay, I’ll start. I have many ideas for ways to try to get the most out of our players, but I’ll just post one for now. lol

What if...
Rae Burrell were to get some training/minutes at post? I mean, she’s as long as many opponents’ post players. She’s got a terrific nose for rebounding. She can leap. She’s got good hands. She’d probably be terrific with the pick-and-roll. Already being close-in to the basket would certainly cut down on her driving into traffic.

I’d love to see what would happen. Remember how well Sidney Spencer did at that position?

NEXT!

Yes!

Here's mine... Davis to point guard. UConn had success face guarding her and limiting her touches.

Let's put the ball in her hand by letting her bring it up the court. Run simple, NBA style plays like Cleveland did with LeBron. Lots of spacing, high ball screens, clear outs. Let Davis drive and score or force the double team. If the double team comes, kick out to the 3 point shooter in the corner then rotate the ball as the defense scrambles.

My go to lineup would be...
1 Davis
2 Horston
3 Brown
4 Burrell
5 Key

Jaz can sub in at the 2/3 position; KK at the 4/5.

When did she join our team?

The transfer portal has gotten really fluid these days.

You can play against a team on Thursday and be suited up for that same opponent two days later.

Really keeps the folks who supply the media guides hopping.

You just saw Christyn Williams who shoots jump shots right handed and free throws left handed. Can finish at the rim with either hand.
You should stay away from the edibles. I've watched a few uconn games this year. Williams has taken every one of her jump shots with her left hand, as she does with foul shots. Though she does finish with either hand on layups.
Maybe I missed it. In what game did she shoot jump shots with her right hand ?

You should stay away from the edibles. I've watched a few uconn games this year. Williams has taken every one of her jump shots with her left hand, as she does with foul shots. Though she does finish with either hand on layups.
Maybe I missed it. In what game did she shoot jump shots with her right hand ?
I just went back and looked at about 100 photos of Christyn and could find none of her shooting jump shots with her right hand. I do know that I read an article a couple of months ago where she talked about it and said she doesn't know why she does it. Thanks. I'll delete the post.

What if...

... the equipment staff requisitioned a few sets of these types of silicone finger grips (or some sort of tape) for use by our more butter-fingered players? It’s so frustrating when they can’t hold onto the ball, and so maybe something like this (if legal) could help. I’d probably cut the tips out of the longer type so that the ball still comes off their fingertips right on their shots.

F0DEB11C-9C55-46E3-BAE3-39480615A9FA.jpeg35DE2566-9485-49A8-861C-0EDFA1180EF5.jpeg

Reactions: Amb3096

VN Store

Back