Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's just spiteful. lol.

it is what it is. people that were pissed about the UCLA thing are ready to hold him up against a firing squad right now.

but really, it's a one off transition year.

it sucks, i had higher hopes too, but is anyone really doubting what the future looks like for TN baskeball right now?

Well that’s my point and i think it depends on what you’re happy with from basketball. If you’re happy having a really good regular season but not doing much in the tournament then that’s fine. I’m not saying I’m not happy with that either just that i can see where there’s room for frustration especially when you’re payed as one of the true elites but not really giving elite results.

Similar to the harbaugh at Michigan situation.

If things don’t turn around, I think Barnes will have a little heat on him going into next season. He didn’t do himself any favors with that UCLA stunt. I almost wish they would have let him go and hired Casey Alexander. He was probably going to be the guy had Barnes left.

Hahahaha.....zero heat from anybody that matters. Fans that don't pay enough attention and understand what is going on, sure they are already giving him heat. Does that mean Barnes has been perfect, no of course not. But he had a couple near misses in those last two classes. From when he took the job he was always building towards this new recruiting class coming in. Bone and Grant leaving was certainly not anticipated when he was constructing the roster the last two years. And we lost a couple transfers, at least one of which was expected to be big contributor. Even losing the transfers, how good do you think we would be right now with Bone and Grant and a healthy Turner still on the team? I mean its so ridiculous how people don't understand the coaching profession. Barnes has not suddenly forgotten how to coach. Organizing practices and running the plays like we did last year without 2 players that left early for the NBA, a senior leader that is out with injury and so the results are not good. Soooo....yep he has lost it and all the sudden can't coach. Stupid. When these stud freshman come in next year and we run the same stuff and organize the same practices and are winning that means he has re-learned how to coach I suppose? Fans emotions look like a d@mn stock market graph over the last century.

Just needs to win more than 6. Will be disappointing despite all the challenges if this team finishes 500 or worse.

James - .9913
Olivier - .9163
Santiago - .8977
Pember - .8919
Gaines - .8875
Pons - .9251
Jalen - .9024
Fulkerson - .8601

Better composites than San Diego State and quite a few other teams performing better than us.

Also Georgia had an average rating in their 2019 class of .9430...and finished 11th. Crean is going to be a pain down there, dude can coach and if he can recruit like that...yikes. Edwards gets all the attention, but Brown .9730, Walton .9682, Wheeler .9570, Camara .9557 are all top 100ish players and freshman too :oops:

Well that’s my point and i think it depends on what you’re happy with from basketball. If you’re happy having a really good regular season but not doing much in the tournament then that’s fine. I’m not saying I’m not happy with that either just that i can see where there’s room for frustration especially when you’re payed as one of the true elites but not really giving elite results.

Similar to the harbaugh at Michigan situation.
no i hear ya, and i do think expectations should be high, as a general rule. he's making that kind of money, and now bringing in talent that should compete at the top of the league/country.....

just for this year.....i understand it...and i feel like there's a difference between the expecation in general as described above...and what's realistic for a give year...like this year.

if we're sitting here next january having these same conversations with the talent and returning experience that's gonna be on the court...well, then this conversation takes on a completely different tone....i'll go ahead say that right now i pretty much expect us to be a top ten program next year, and in the discussion for top 4 seed in the conf tourney, and top 3 seed in the NCAA's....capable of making that deep run.

but circumstances dictate that level of expectation. jus like they do for this year. jmo.

Reactions: HankHill
It was one bad game for a bubble type team program even with Turner. We are Tennessee, not a blue blood (yet). The only Barnes true recruiting miss IMO was not having a PG ready in case Bone left. But Barnes developed non-elite talent to become as successful as they were prior to this season. All coaches miss on players they sign in every sport.

Football versus basketball illustration time. This season is not one to hang your hats on in basketball, just like last season in football. The equivalent is knowing that your likely starting QB cannot deliver an SECC next season while not having one with more talent ready to step in or being unwilling as a head coach to pull the trigger on it. Even most of VN cannot get on the hype train that we will win the east next season in football. That's a JG/Turner comparison. Turner was no more an elite PG to lead this team than JG is an elite QB to lead the football team and we all know it.

There's no reason to believe Barnes will not get the ship in order based on his signees for next season. I believe I saw CJP willing to pull the trigger on QB change this past season, if he doesn't wait too long to win games next season. He signed an elite talent for next season who is on campus. PG in basketball = QB in football. JMO.

I don’t see the point in saying this year “doesnt matter”. Especially in basketball Bc teams can drastically change so much year to year.

And honestly if you’re building teams that you need a year or two to get it going, you’re never going to win when it matters. I think rick is a solid coach and an excellent source of stability for our program but when you don’t make it past the sweet 16 with Kevin Durant & DJ Augustine then you have 4 NBA caliber players here for two years and fail to do so again it’s fair to question him.

He couldn’t build the program with one and dones when he got here. He had to build a program and develop players. He did it with 2 classes that all went pro. Programs like UT will have some down years and aren’t like UK, Duke, and Kansas.

The Durant argument is so lazy. As I’ve said many times, look at that roster. It was dominated by true freshman and a sophomore Augustin. They had no senior or junior contributors.

I think the biggest frustration is that this isn't a "young HC" and it isn't his first year here.

Sure we're not a blue blood. But Cuonzo's worse season he won 19 games. Pearl's worse season (he also missed 8 games) he won 19 games, Green's worse season he won 20 games.

Mears won 54% in his worse season (his first) here. It's not outlandish to think the 3rd highest paid coach in college basketball should be able to finish over 500 and make the NCAA, regardless of who he has on roster. Since they are still guys -he- recruited and has been developing.

I just don't think this season should be brushed aside. It's year 5, you're being paid top 5 money you should be at worse a bubble team when the dust settles. Then we can wonder "what if" Turner hadn't retired, Plavsic had been eligible etc.

Reactions: VOLED
It was one bad game for a bubble type team program even with Turner. We are Tennessee, not a blue blood (yet). The only Barnes true recruiting miss IMO was not having a PG ready in case Bone left. But Barnes developed non-elite talent to become as successful as they were prior to this season. All coaches miss on players they sign in every sport.

Football versus basketball illustration time. This season is not one to hang your hats on in basketball, just like last season in football. The equivalent is knowing that your likely starting QB cannot deliver an SECC next season while not having one with more talent ready to step in or being unwilling as a head coach to pull the trigger on it. Even most of VN cannot get on the hype train that we will win the east next season in football. That's a JG/Turner comparison. Turner was no more an elite PG to lead this team than JG is an elite QB to lead the football team and we all know it.

There's no reason to believe Barnes will not get the ship in order based on his signees for next season. I believe I saw CJP willing to pull the trigger on QB change this past season, if he doesn't wait too long to win games next season. He signed an elite talent for next season who is on campus. PG in basketball = QB in football. JMO.
Right every team needs all the parts to make a complete team. Heck only one coach in each division and sports win a championship. Now fire all the losers every year would be interesting

Reactions: hooter vol
He couldn’t build the program with one and dones when he got here. He had to build a program and develop players. He did it with 2 classes that all went pro. Programs like UT will have some down years and aren’t like UK, Duke, and Kansas.

The Durant argument is so lazy. As I’ve said many times, look at that roster. It was dominated by true freshman and a sophomore Augustin. They had no senior or junior contributors.

How is that argument lazy? Lol. He has one of the greatest basketball players to ever lace them up on his team along with another good tenured NBA player and he placed 3rd in the conference and didn’t make it past the sweet 16. If you can find a way to spin that as anything but a poor coaching job... in all ears.

I think the biggest frustration is that this isn't a "young HC" and it isn't his first year here.

Sure we're not a blue blood. But Cuonzo's worse season he won 19 games. Pearl's worse season (he also missed 8 games) he won 19 games, Green's worse season he won 20 games.

Mears won 54% in his worse season (his first) here. It's not outlandish to think the 3rd highest paid coach in college basketball should be able to finish over 500 and make the NCAA, regardless of who he has on roster. Since they are still guys -he- recruited and has been developing.

I just don't think this season should be brushed aside. It's year 5, you're being paid top 5 money you should be at worse a bubble team when the dust settles. Then we can wonder "what if" Turner hadn't retired, Plavsic had been eligible etc.
so what does that mean then? what happens or should happen if we miss the tourney and flame out of the SEC tourney?

so what does that mean then? what happens or should happen if we miss the tourney and flame out of the SEC tourney?

He'll have 3 years in 5 of 500 or worse. Not saying next year will be a "hot seat" season, but if he can't win with Springer, Walker, Keon, James, Santi, Bailey, etc. then he will put himself in an interesting situation the year after, when a few of them could be leaving early for the NBA.

He'll have 3 years in 5 of 500 or worse. Not saying next year will be a "hot seat" season, but if he can't win with Springer, Walker, Keon, James, Santi, Bailey, etc. then he will put himself in an interesting situation the year after, when a few of them could be leaving early for the NBA.
so next year is what matters then..........?

Rasul Butler > Jordan
giphy.gif

How is that argument lazy? Lol. He has one of the greatest basketball players to ever lace them up on his team along with another good tenured NBA player and he placed 3rd in the conference and didn’t make it past the sweet 16. If you can find a way to spin that as anything but a poor coaching job... in all ears.

Do the research. I was mistaken. Augustin was a freshman too. Augustin was a top 30 player (like JJJ) who was not a lottery pick after his freshman year.

Here is the roster. They relied too much on Durant. 4 of top 5 scorers were freshmen, and 5th was a sophomore. Top 7 scorers were all freshmen and sophomores. Guess what? Barnes went 31-7 the next year (without Durant) and first in the Big 12. Amazing how that works.

2006-07 Texas Longhorns Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

He had Kevin Durant one year and lost 10 games. He sucks. People don’t do the research to understand the circumstances. It’s lazy.

Do the research. I was mistaken. Augustin was a freshman too. Augustin was a top 30 player (like JJJ) who was not a lottery pick after his freshman year.

Here is the roster. They relied too much on Durant. 4 of top 5 scorers were freshmen, and 5th was a sophomore. Top 7 scorers were all freshmen and sophomores. Guess what? Barnes went 31-7 the next year and first in the Big 12. Amazing how that works.

2006-07 Texas Longhorns Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

And had his usually good regular season.... with nothing in the post season to show for it. Lost in conference tournament and lost in elite 8.

But also because a team isn’t an upperclassman led means they shouldn’t be successful? Lol. Have a hard time buying that in basketball.

Reactions: Bearwallow Bandit
Man he looks so much smaller then Trey. It’ll be nice to see what our strength and conditioning program does for him in the next 7ish months. I expect him to be much more toned and have a bit more muscle mass.
they don't do weights at UGA either? probably scared to drink anything with Clay Webb walking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back