Worst basketball team since

If ever there was a definition of a team that hasn't bought in this would be it. Enough talent, but zero chemistry or leadership. Far from worst but at present not very good.

Reactions: LakeMaryFLVol
It was a bad performance and this team is limited but realistically, looking at all the new pieces we have in place and all we lost last year, fans should know we would have some games like this. Let's step back from the ledge after one bad loss and recognize we have some nice pieces in place. We are relying on a lot of freshman and the older players on the team are in new roles. I don't know what is wrong with Bowden but at this point is his career I don't expect consistency out of him.
The only disappointing part for me this game was that we didn't have anyone trying to attack the basket and be aggressive on the offensive end. I am sure Barnes is addressing this.
This team's ceiling is not that high but the future looks bright. I lived through the Wade Houston year's when I was on campus so I know how bad we could be. One rebuilding season between what should be two good seasons is acceptable. I think the next few seasons should be really good. Go Vols.

I did mention they played horrible. The 'not doing too bad' comment had more to do with the season overall than this one game. Barnes should be down on the team's effort, as it was clearly lacking in this game. IMO, to this point in the season, things could be a lot worse.

i

I completely understand we have lost 85% of our production in points, rebounds and assists from last season. All I was doing was making a comment on how bad this team is based on what I watch. Missed layups, missed FT’s, unforced turnovers, horrible shooting. There isn't a player on this team that is a leader and that we can count on for consistent play. IMO this is one of the worst teams we have seen in a long time. Even our so called “ bad” teams have typically had at least one player that could score consistently. I love the Vol’s and can’t wait until next season when I think 4-5 players from this current team along with Bailey becoming eligible and Johnson, Springer and walker coming in, we will be a top 10 team.

Last night was not much fun (kind of the reverse of the trucking the Vols put on Ga. last year) and I think I understand your overall position, but this team is a major work in progress that literally has been still picking up pieces within the last few days. Judge it at the end of January. Right now it is a hodge podge of mostly new and unfamiliar pieces trying to become a unit. There is a good amount of individual talent on this team and my bet is on Barnes and company pulling them together over the coming weeks. This year was never going to be great unless our juniors from last year returned. They didn't.

Imo, your OP was too much and just fed the legion of doom who are always looking for a way to complain about Barnes because they like to vetch for vetching's sake.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
You pretty much quoted Barnes' presser but don't think you relayed his mood. Said they deserved to lose, didn't execute on offense, just passed it around the perimeter and chucked 3s and ignored the scouting reports. Don't think he in any way thinks they'r e not doing too bad.
Let me preface by saying I'm glad we have Barnes and that UT bball is now in a place where the fanbase gives a $hit.
However, it does bother me when any coach explains a loss by implying the team didn't play the way they were coached to. Isn't it the coaches job to get them to play like he wants them to? If so, and they don't, then it is on him...not the team.

JMO, so TIFWIW.

Let me preface by saying I'm glad we have Barnes and that UT bball is now in a place where the fanbase gives a $hit.
However, it does bother me when any coach explains a loss by implying the team didn't play the way they were coached to. Isn't it the coaches job to get them to play like he wants them to? If so, and they don't, then it is on him...not the team.

JMO, so TIFWIW.

Barnes is a straight shooter. He didn't just blame the players and say he was great like Uncle Roy did at UNC. But there is no way this group of players executed the plan and techniques the way they were coached before the game. Not playing tough on defense was the most notable flaw, not the bad shooting. They just beat SC with abysmal shooting and good defense. They know how to play defense, they just didn't do it.

JMO, so TIFWIW.
So is it a Mutiny on the Bounty or a result of recruiting guys that don't fit your system?

The current roster is full of young guys who are learning how to compete in big time college ball. Additionally, our upperclassmen have been role players the majority of their career and appear to be better suited in that regard (especially Bowden). Most reasonable fans knew this year was not going to be as strong as last year due to our losses of GW, Bone, AS, & Kyle. There are still a lot of games to be played. I have seen some dreadful teams over the years at UT & trust me, the program is in good hand with CRB. We are going to take our lumps this year, but brighter days are ahead GBO! I am not sure what are win/loss record will be so this looks to be the worst team since Barnes first took over as coach.

Reactions: i2amavol
My point is do not sell those teams short. We are in no position to think we are better than them. If any time gets to 60 points all bets are off.
Yeah nothings going to come easy but given our current roster I’m glad we’re playing them now as we hopefully improve

In other news.....

South Carolina just beat Kentucky.

Cal is a great coach tho....

*if he couldn’t recruit he’d be below average at best.

I'll have to admit, USC plays some really good D. Didn't see that game, but I'm not surprised to hear an early UK team losing to them.

Barnes is a straight shooter. He didn't just blame the players and say he was great like Uncle Roy did at UNC. But there is no way this group of players executed the plan and techniques the way they were coached before the game. Not playing tough on defense was the most notable flaw, not the bad shooting. They just beat SC with abysmal shooting and good defense. They know how to play defense, they just didn't do it.

Missed the game. But ... If we don't play Defense, then this team might as well turn out the lights. That's all that can keep our keystone cops offense in games.

Maybe the 1994 Wade Houston team? This team makes the Kevin O’Neil teams look like championship teams. I’ve been watching Tennessee basketball for 50 years and have never seen more missed layups, air balls, and poor defense more than maybe 3 or 4 seasons . This team basically has no talent. Next season can’t get here soon enough

AND YET,,, KY, A burn,,, and soon to come others within the SEC are going to look like "worst ever" on the road. Granted we are not really good but not in the worst ever conversation....

Yeah, I mean, let's not let contextual facts or critical thinking get in the way...lol
The facts are he has been our coach for 3 years so he is responsible for this roster, another fact is he is a top 10 paid coach in the league, what are your facts LOL.

I don't disagree. I'm sure they didn't play how they had been coached to, or as the scouting plan dictated.

It's just a matter of personal preference really. I'd rather hear a coach say "I failed at getting my guys to play the way they should have tonight." Again, jmo.

Reactions: Lurker
Everyone is soft. Not a tough guy on the team. Have you even seen one of our players get pissed off?
You haven't posted a single thing that an informed fan didn't already know, except that you're a typical reactionary that likes to complain even under difficult circumstances. In your mind they should be a top 15 team every year. Losing Williams, Schofield and Bone was a terrible blow. This team will be much improved at the end of the year. Nothing wrong with being critical. You just choose to do it in a way that is less constructive and highly reactionary.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I think we all (or most) under appreciated what Turner brought to this team......a fairly healthy Turner anyway.

Turners %’s wasn’t really good all year.....but he did shoot the ball and he had the ability to score.

Most of the way through the season until after the VCU game Turner was averaging 16 points per game (minus one game). After the VCU game his points suffered dramatically.....and his 3 point percentage went to 25% & 0,0,0 (in his final 4 games).

Because of his willingness to shoot, and his ability to score, all teams had to account for him (all the time)........this gave way for Bowden and Pons to have much better efficiency.

We now knock on Bowden (and he surely is in a shooting slump....don’t get me wrong....he is) but take a look at his numbers “before” Turner stopped shooting (then was eventually gone).....through the VCU game (and through that point Tennessee was playing great and doing great....for the most part)

Bowden %’s: 50, 53, 46, 42, 40, 30, 67.......really good.....all while Turner was shooting and scoring 16 per game. Also thought the VCU game Bowden was 15 of 34 from 3.....44%.....again, really good.

Turner simply made the O better. He shot the ball a lot, he scored a lot, he commanded defense (not commanded “the” defense), and he knew how and when to get the ball to shooters (he understood the O and how to run it).........not to mention he was very good on the defensive end......when you have someone “leading you” defensively.....everyone else plays better D (usually).

Simply put......without more “shooters” and scorers.....it makes it harder on those who do shoot and score (especially given the slump by Bowden).......and without a point “leading” this offense it probably won’t be what it could/should be......sure Vescovi and James are doing what they can.....but the overall numbers don’t lie.....they just don’t have the “command” of the O like Turner had.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I grew up During the Don Devoe era. Trust me, it could be worse
Are you sure you remember correctly? I grew up in that period too and it was far from our worst time. If I’m not mistaken we made the tournament five years in a row. Devoe was a solid coach but a poor recruiter. Our low point had to be the Wade Houston years, then maybe the Buzz years - both MUCH worse than Don Devoe.

Reactions: Lurker
It’s true TN lost firepower (including Lamonte) and have young guys.....they also have 4 older heads that have played alot of bball that are at best backup players. Barnes cruiting to many projects is the reason they are where they are now. Pons is the only player left from the 2017 and 2018 classes and it wasn’t bc of NBA talent leaving.

Granted we have next yrs class to look forward to. The days of having a class with more project players than not I hope is over.

Maybe the 1994 Wade Houston team? This team makes the Kevin O’Neil teams look like championship teams. I’ve been watching Tennessee basketball for 50 years and have never seen more missed layups, air balls, and poor defense more than maybe 3 or 4 seasons . This team basically has no talent. Next season can’t get here soon enough
Pump the brakes dude. It was a horrible game and there are major problems. Wades team won 5 games.

This is the dumbest post I’ve seen on here in some time. Congrats.

If anything this team is a lesson in the importance of roster management. Barnes hasn’t done that well. some of that is not his fault and some is. He has a lot of marginal players on this roster. He lost a lot of guys who probably shouldn’t have been recruited in the first place.

Kyle Alexander is a great example. Should have been a redshirt but couldn’t because the roster Barnes inherited was so bad. Of course he didn’t exactly fight to keep Tariq Owens. Had KA redshirted he would have been a senior this year. I’m still confused that Bone didn’t see the value of coming back, but maybe he knew how bad this roster would be.

VN Store

Back