JG 2020

I appreciate JG's toughness and perseverance. He has a strong arm, spins a good ball. He worked to learn the offense, and his pre snap looked pretty solid. He seems to be a good teammate.

However, he is frequently late on throws, his accuracy is average for an SEC QB, and he is bad at moving the pocket or trying to make plays with his feet. Our offense is hamstrung with JG from running read option because he lacks quickness in ball handling and decisiveness. If he is still QB1 next year, I think his shortcomings are still going to limit our offense. I pull for him or whoever is in there.

I think people are taking JG and his experience for granted. I believe he’ll be TN’s QB and leader for the 2020 campaign, and will cement his legacy as one of UT’s greatest QB’s (based on stats and growth as a player).

JG struggled adapted to a new offense, which he was forced to do throughout his career thus far. But after a year in the system, and the experience he’s gained, I feel like JG will be among the leading QB’s in the SEC next season, and will even be mentioned in the heisman discussions a few times.
JG will never go down as one of our best QBs. He will be even worse next year with the losses of the WRs who can jump high enough to catch his overthrown balls.

I've been in JG's corner simply because he's been the Coaches choice. I also believe he gave us the best chance to win games this past year. On the other hand, if you are watching the championship game you can see what type of a QB it takes to win Championships. There is two playing tonight.

We aren't winning a championship next year anyway. Next year is a big year to take another step that direction, but next year is not the year.

I love the tears of the haters in this thread. I'm embarrassed to share fanhood with a lot of you. I really really wish you were fans of a different team. However, I love that JG is coming back, just because I know it bothers you all so much.

He will be the starter and be given a chance to lead this team in 2020. If he fails, he will lose the opportunity. Simple as that. Coach Cornbread, Coach Moo Moo or whatever derogatory comment some of you have used for him will make the choice that best benefits this football team. I know this is a forum, and discussion is the purpose, but the lot of you who think you're a better college football coach that Pruitt or Chaney sound ridiculous.

I hope JG throws 30+ TDs next year. I hope he has the best year ever, unlike you fools hoping he fails so you'll be right. I don't give a blank about whether you're right or not, I want to win football games.

We aren't winning a championship next year anyway. Next year is a big year to take another step that direction, but next year is not the year.
This is why u should start HB. If winning the east isnt realistic this year we should start the freshman immediately at Qb and allow him to take his lumps behind a talented oline.

This is why u should start HB. If winning the east isnt realistic this year we should start the freshman immediately at Qb and allow him to take his lumps behind a talented oline.
No you start who gives you the best chance to win now.

If its Bailey then you play him. If its JG you play him.

Reactions: Volumnus 2011
I love the tears of the haters in this thread. I'm embarrassed to share fanhood with a lot of you. I really really wish you were fans of a different team. However, I love that JG is coming back, just because I know it bothers you all so much.

He will be the starter and be given a chance to lead this team in 2020. If he fails, he will lose the opportunity. Simple as that. Coach Cornbread, Coach Moo Moo or whatever derogatory comment some of you have used for him will make the choice that best benefits this football team. I know this is a forum, and discussion is the purpose, but the lot of you who think you're a better college football coach that Pruitt or Chaney sound ridiculous.

I hope JG throws 30+ TDs next year. I hope he has the best year ever, unlike you fools hoping he fails so you'll be right. I don't give a blank about whether you're right or not, I want to win football games.

If jg loses starting position he will be back with the first mistake by whoever takes his place.

I kind of wish that folks who don't mind a QB losing games.... would be fans of another teams.

I don't mind JG coming back. I just hope that they see through his practice performance and demand MUCH better play from the starter. I hoped he had turned the corner late in the season. Vandy was unsettling but it was rainy and he'd lost his grandmother. IU confirmed that whatever improvements we thought we saw... were either illusions or not permanent. "Late" was the key word. It has been his whole career. However you explain it... he's just late.

Maurer is too reactive. He sees and throws on instinct. He's not the answer either unless they can get him to slow down and go through progressions.

Shrout could surprise everyone if he can learn the O and how to manage it. It is disappointing that they felt Maurer had already passed him before mid-season this year in managing the O. When he played, that was Pruitt's big criticism. It was enough to keep him from getting more time. Still yet... a big arm on a decisive QB makes up for a lot of shortcomings.

Hill has experience and bum knees. He doesn't have a great history but who knows what a new situation could bring.

People are putting a lot of stock in Bailey. Many of the same people will call him a bust if he doesn't nail down the job by the end of the season. We know he was a very good HS player. We don't know how well it will translate.

Personally I see Holiday at another positions. If he stays at QB then he is a project.... unlikely to compete this year.

He will be the starter and be given a chance to lead this team in 2020.
Pruitt said specifically that he would have to compete for the job. Maybe he meant to say "he will be the starter"... but that's not what he said. That was a completely different message than what Pruitt said this time last year. He explicitly said that JG was the starter. He never allowed that to be questioned or challenged from January until the beginning of the season. He did all he could to build JG's confidence and skill. JG's performance... now has Pruitt willing to have an open competition in spite of having a rising RS Sr returning starter.

If he fails, he will lose the opportunity. Simple as that.
He's already failed. He has to win the job now. He has to improve in some areas that look a lot like innate weaknesses. He knows the O and managed it well by the end of the season. Experience helped him. But it isn't enough. Maurer, Shrout, and Hill have now had another year in the system. They can study film and do simulations to help them catch up. If they all work hard... he's in trouble.

Coach Cornbread, Coach Moo Moo or whatever derogatory comment some of you have used for him will make the choice that best benefits this football team. I know this is a forum, and discussion is the purpose, but the lot of you who think you're a better college football coach that Pruitt or Chaney sound ridiculous.
And if he were making decisions you disagreed with... you'd criticize them too.

I like Pruitt. I don't think he had a bias against starting Maurer or Shrout. JG simply managed the O better. He should have. He had more experience. But Pruitt also got fed up with JG's poor play and tried a true Fr who was nowhere near being ready... and he threw him out there against the best D UT faced all year.

I share this hope. I hope that UT's QB throws 30+ TD's regardless of who it is... or if it is a combination of 2 or 3. I want to win.

But the fact is that JG's inconsistent play overall and consistent weakness in anticipating throws and being too slow in his reads... loses games.

I think people are taking JG and his experience for granted. I believe he’ll be TN’s QB and leader for the 2020 campaign, and will cement his legacy as one of UT’s greatest QB’s (based on stats and growth as a player).

JG struggled adapted to a new offense, which he was forced to do throughout his career thus far. But after a year in the system, and the experience he’s gained, I feel like JG will be among the leading QB’s in the SEC next season, and will even be mentioned in the heisman discussions a few times.

JG has only shown brief moments this season that he has gained any experience. He is an OK QB.... SOMETIMES. I highly doubt it will suddenly click for him this off season. Let’s pray someone else has it. JG will always be just OK, and I’d hate to waste that OL this year with a QB who is just OK.
1A590453-2053-40B2-A379-CC144BAAA98E.jpeg

I always thought the best guy should play but my comment was in response to us not winning the SEC next year. If u arent going to win the conference then u better be preparing for the future. IMO if the qb race is anywhere near close u should play HB. None of the 3 qbs we played gave us the best chance to win. That win streak was becuase of the TEAM not the Qb's. Honestly all 3 played like true freshman so i dnt see the big difference in starting them or HB. In fact HB probably gives us the best chance to win short term and long term. If im gonna have a guy throwing inexplicable int's at the worse times i would rather it be my true freshman qb

And if he were making decisions you disagreed with... you'd criticize them too.

I like Pruitt. I don't think he had a bias against starting Maurer or Shrout. JG simply managed the O better. He should have. He had more experience.

This is wishy washy. On one hand you're saying JG managed the O better, on the other hand you're saying people can criticize Pruitt for playing JG. Can't have both.

Because another year of learning the system combined with another year of the coaches knowing what they're working with will allow them to craft an ideal scheme around JG's game. This combined with his experience and 2nd year in the system and a fantastic offensive line will lead to exactly what you mentioned. 31 TD's 11 INT's, I'm calling it here. That will be JG's numbers next season.
An "ideal scheme" that will make a consistently INACCURATE passer successfull....... 😂🤣😂

You need to stop. Your 'kung fu' is NOT strong....

JG will start the season. Barring injuries, he will probably be the starter til after the UF game.
That's give JG the reigns for OU and UF. I hope I'm wrong, but if he underwhelms ... then, that's when the coaches roll with Bailey.

Bailey would have Mizzu and @ SC before Bama. After that, we (hopefully) roll everyone anyway.

All just speculation and my opinion of course.
As another poster said, I'm for UT, so I hope whoever plays, plays like a BAUWS!

This is wishy washy. On one hand you're saying JG managed the O better, on the other hand you're saying people can criticize Pruitt for playing JG. Can't have both.
Yes you can. JG managed the O better. His consistent weaknesses in the passing game have hurt the team.... and quite a bit.

I support Pruitt and defend him from those who think he has some ulterior motive with the QB's. But that doesn't make me "wishy washy" for criticizing his decisions. I personally think he made a mistake this time last year when he declared JG the starter and then poured all the resources into him. The issues holding JG back have been there from the start and keep rising up to hurt and limit the O. But the decision wasn't completely without merit. I appreciate he had the guts to make a call and stick with it.

Now... instead of declaring JG the starter, he has declared JG will have to compete for and win the job. He learned. He changed his approach. I appreciate that too.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

And if it is BM or Shrout or Hill?

You're being disingenuous again thought. You weren't preaching this message when they were poised to give the job to Maurer. You said they didn't know what they were doing.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Even more of a reason to start the QB of the future and let him get experience for future championship runs..
People talk about that, but thinking about it, I'm not sure that ever happens all that much. Coaches tend to ride the best guy as long as they can and then just figure things out when they're gone.

People talk about that, but thinking about it, I'm not sure that ever happens all that much. Coaches tend to ride the best guy as long as they can and then just figure things out when they're gone.

Pruitt can not roll into 2021 with a raw QB under center coming off a 7-8 win regular season in 2020.

I would argue a fair amount of the fan base would be okay with going 7-5/8-4 at worst in 2020 with Bailey under center so we can get ready to make a deep run in 2021. The absolute worst thing for Pruitt and seat is to go 7-5/8-4 in 2020 and Bailey getting no serious playing time.

At the absolute minimum, Bailey would have 24 games with the likes of Wright, Morris, and the Mays brothers on the line along with Keyton, Hyatt, Tillman at receivers and Eric Gray in the backfield.

If Pruitt basically said "I'm going to throw all these guys together and have them play with each other as many games as possible this year to build for the future", no one would seriously be upset at that. Especially knowing that the defense he and Ansley are building will be really nasty in 2021 and the fact that Chaney has a great track record with true freshman QB's.

There is nothing definitive that say JG can elevate the team to 9/10 wins next year because he still is making same mistakes that he made 3 years ago.

I'm not saying Bailey guarantees more wins than 2019. But him playing in 2020 does guarantee we will be ready to make a jump in 2021 because we will have a lot of Juniors and Seniors on the roster and ideally, the two deep.

Had JG come out vs Indiana had a big day (300+ yards / 3+ touchdowns), I'd say he rightfully should be the presumptive starter going into offseason and into the Charlotte game. I don't see how anyone can now say that with how the bowl game went.... This is going to be a huge offseason and spring for Pruitt/Chaney and the QB room.

Last edited:
Had JG come out vs Indiana had a big day (300+ yards / 3+ touchdowns), I'd say he rightfully should be the presumptive starter going into offseason and into the Charlotte game. I don't see how anyone can now say that with how the bowl game went.... This is going to be a huge offseason and spring for Pruitt/Chaney and the QB room.
just to be clear, I'm not advocating for it to be JG or bust next year. I was just saying that playing the younger guy for the sake of gaining experience really doesn't happen that much.

just to be clear, I'm not advocating for it to be JG or bust next year. I was just saying that playing the younger guy for the sake of gaining experience really doesn't happen that much.

I think it happens more at big programs. Like yes, I'm sure the number of programs starting younger QB's over upperclassmen is in the minority.

But in the last 2-3 years, look at Fromm, Lawrence, Tua, Fields (OSU), Nix, Bentley to name a few. Those are the bigger programs with freshmen playing.

I don't think Pruitt needs to be overly concerned with his job status, but I just think if the worst happens and we go 6-6 / 7-5 / 8-4 with JG and Bailey is effectively getting his first serious playing time in 2021, it could be make or break in Pruitt's 4th year. I think Pruitt won't be on the hot seat in his 3rd or 4th year because he's now shown he isn't scared to mix things up and play his guys. However, there will always be the concern with JG after 2.5 seasons of watching him and putting faith in the guy to make that jump.

I personally feel that if Pruitt comes out and starts Bailey in the season opener, we are effectively building to make that run in 2021. I'd rather go 7-5 / 8-4 with Bailey than JG...... Only way I'd want JG starting over Bailey as a true freshman is if there was a legit belief that JG could lead us to double digit wins and compete for a division title. I just don't feel there is any validity or proof that he can.

That isn't exactly what I was saying. However, given the choice of 1. rolling the dice and saying a prayer every Saturday hoping we get the rare appearance of good JG or 2. going with the young guy and letting him gain experience, come what may........ I'll take option two...

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back