Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus he's going to be drafted to a terrible team, ask Andrew Luck how well that helps a NFL career.

What worries me most about Burrow is actually that he was in college for 5 years BEFORE we saw this. Confused why he couldn't beat out J.T. Barrett at OSU. I'm not sure I'd call him "generational" as a QB though, to me those guys are the 3 or 4 year guys that do it every season.

I think when Brady came to LSU and saw the speed/talent in the skilled position he said "there's not a team in college that can cover four or five guys running routes" and he was not wrong, LSU already had the NFL caliber OL too, based on how many RBs they've put into the NFL that wasn't a concern.

Burrow's 527 attempts is also staggering, despite blowing teams out he rarely left the field. That's 120 more attempts than Lawrence and 173 more than Fields had this season. 172 more than Tua and 150 more than Murray last year. Very similar to the output of Leach QBs (Gordon-689, Minshew-662, Falk-534, etc.)

I'm pulling for Joe to have a good/great NFL career...I just worry if he's Graham Harrell but played in the SEC for a season.

I think for a position like QB it can just take a minute for the light to come on and honestly he looks 16 in the face so he could’ve just took longer to develop.

But you hit it right. They are running air raid offense in LSU just no one wants to admit it. If you watch Washington state play and Oklahoma the route concepts are virtually the exact same.
Here is a comparison on Jefferson last year vs this year.

-avg depth of target on a route went from 14.5 last year to 9.9
-2018: 289 routes ran outside #s /75 slot
-2019: 3 routes outside #s / 518 slot

The good thing for Burrow is, the nfl is becoming more and more horizontal than vertical, just like what LSU did this year, and that plays into what he’s best at.

Now that this year has ended in total and looking at some of the best teams and stories from this year... i think building and maintaining a culture/locker room is most important trait for a head coach. Ed Orgeron was horrible as a Hc before, but damn he’s got the entire state hanging on every word of his and team will go full kamikaze mode for him. Same thing for Dabo, I don’t think he’s some schematic genius but he demands a certain culture, and his players eat it up. Hell even PJ Fleck, Minnesota had no business winning 10 games and beating Auburn, Penn state, almost beating Wisconsin etc. but his players love him and would run through a wall for him.

The energy/culture inside & around our program got so bad at the end of butch and the Botched search that it was like an anchor (literally & figuratively Bc of losses to vandy) weighing us down. I mean we were literally having discussions if our roster was worse than Vanderbilt or if our OL was better than Charlotte. It took longer than we wanted and it wasn’t always pretty by any means... and quite frankly i have no Fn idea how we won some games like Indiana, Kentucky, miss state lol.... but i give Pruitt and Fulmer major major props for finding a way to power wash all that filth off this program and now have us looking like we belong again. Hopefully our fan base and players rally around them just like those other teams have done.
fdd9dee980379e70-north-korea-clapping-on-make-a-gif.gif

From the Athletic's Preseason top 25 for next year:

19. Tennessee (8-5)
The Vols ended the season on a six-game winning streak, with their young defense finishing in the top 25 nationally in yards per play. The entire D-line, freshman LB Henry To’o To’o and CB Bryce Thompson lead a host of returning starters. We’ll see if the never-ending QB derby between Jarrett Guarantano and Brian Maurer finally resolves itself. The offensive line could improve considerably with G Trey Smith returning.

Plus he's going to be drafted to a terrible team, ask Andrew Luck how well that helps a NFL career.

What worries me most about Burrow is actually that he was in college for 5 years BEFORE we saw this. Confused why he couldn't beat out J.T. Barrett at OSU. I'm not sure I'd call him "generational" as a QB though, to me those guys are the 3 or 4 year guys that do it every season.

I think when Brady came to LSU and saw the speed/talent in the skilled position he said "there's not a team in college that can cover four or five guys running routes" and he was not wrong, LSU already had the NFL caliber OL too, based on how many RBs they've put into the NFL that wasn't a concern.

Burrow's 527 attempts is also staggering, despite blowing teams out he rarely left the field. That's 120 more attempts than Lawrence and 173 more than Fields had this season. 172 more than Tua and 150 more than Murray last year. Very similar to the output of Leach QBs (Gordon-689, Minshew-662, Falk-534, etc.)

I'm pulling for Joe to have a good/great NFL career...I just worry if he's Graham Harrell but played in the SEC for a season.

Yeah, comparison / analysis of any of Burrow's stats need to take into account his attempts. If he'd thrown the ball 350 to 400 times he would have produced at an elite level. He threw the ball 527 times so he broke all kinds of records. His YPA of 10.8 is great but it's actually less than Hurts and Tua. If Tua threw the ball 527 times and continued to produce at the same clip he had at this season he would have had 5900 yards and 62 TDs. Tua's 2018 #s extrapolate to about the same spot.

That said, if the worse you can say about a guy is he produces at the same rate as Tua but throws the ball more and doesn't get injured, that's someone I want on my team.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
Maybe so. Impossible to really know with QBs. I think Brady is getting a little too much love tbh. Not that he doesn’t deserve credit but now it’s obvious burrow was a late bloomer and a generational QB. They have a lot of air raid concepts so maybe that’s why.
Burrow has been unstoppable since he took this hit on a pick 6 return in the Fiesta bowl last year. Before the hit UCF's defense was shutting him down. That hit woke him up and he went off.

mujxiGR.gif

I think for a position like QB it can just take a minute for the light to come on and honestly he looks 16 in the face so he could’ve just took longer to develop.

But you hit it right. They are running air raid offense in LSU just no one wants to admit it. If you watch Washington state play and Oklahoma the route concepts are virtually the exact same.
Here is a comparison on Jefferson last year vs this year.

-avg depth of target on a route went from 14.5 last year to 9.9
-2018: 289 routes ran outside #s /75 slot
-2019: 3 routes outside #s / 518 slot

The good thing for Burrow is, the nfl is becoming more and more horizontal than vertical, just like what LSU did this year, and that plays into what he’s best at.

Yeah, makes sense too Brady came from the Saints which is the closest NFL has to "air raid" look at Brees' completion % for example.

Again, love the kid wish him all the best. If he was at any school not in the SEC people would have him pegged as a "system QB" those numbers at Washington State, OU, Texas Tech etc. get ignored by the masses, but he did it in the elite SEC....if anything seeing what LSU did this season should excite Mississippi State fans...I am excited to see how that experiment goes!

Burrow being a coach's son and not "developing" until his 5th year at his 2nd college doesn't give me the warm/fuzzes as a NFL GM. But I'm also not sure you can make a great case to draft any other QB before him, especially with Tua's injury concerns.

Just glad the Titans aren't likely in the QB market just yet... there's some potential for "fool's gold" in this class with Tua (injuries) Burrow (1 year sample) Herbert (Ryan Leaf 2.0?) Fromm (Why you coming out bro?)

Brugler of The Athletic has Burrow #1 to the Bengals, Tua #5 to the Fins, Herbert #6 to the Chargers and Love #23 to the Pats. In the second round he has Fromm #44 to the Colts, Eason #45 to the Bucs. No other QB's taken in those two rounds. He shows Darell Taylor getting taken by the Titans with a late second round pick. Would love it since the Titans need another good edge rusher.

Reactions: ATC_VOL and Kristy*
I’m was just flat out impressed with Burrow’s accuracy all over the field. I think that’s something you can’t teach, and I bet Sean Payton wishes he could draft him to plug in after Brees.
It is strange how he just got that accurate all of a sudden isn't it? Maybe he just didn't work hard enough before?

Burrow has been unstoppable since he took this hit on a pick 6 return in the Fiesta bowl last year. Before the hit UCF's defense was shutting him down. That hit woke him up and he went off.

mujxiGR.gif
Dirty ass play.....that guy was a POS. He got up flexing like he did something. The OL should've taken his knees out.

Yeah, makes sense too Brady came from the Saints which is the closest NFL has to "air raid" look at Brees' completion % for example.

Again, love the kid wish him all the best. If he was at any school not in the SEC people would have him pegged as a "system QB" those numbers at Washington State, OU, Texas Tech etc. get ignored by the masses, but he did it in the elite SEC....if anything seeing what LSU did this season should excite Mississippi State fans...I am excited to see how that experiment goes!

Burrow being a coach's son and not "developing" until his 5th year at his 2nd college doesn't give me the warm/fuzzes as a NFL GM. But I'm also not sure you can make a great case to draft any other QB before him, especially with Tua's injury concerns.

Just glad the Titans aren't likely in the QB market just yet... there's some potential for "fool's gold" in this class with Tua (injuries) Burrow (1 year sample) Herbert (Ryan Leaf 2.0?) Fromm (Why you coming out bro?)
hard to argue with the results.

i think it's just a good combination of ability meeting good coaching.

i mean, burrow did things that no one has done.

if nothing else, he's proven to be coachable.

But but 80 Freshman and Sophomores.... year 0... everyone hates us...

His antics have run their course. I can’t listen to him. He’s phony as hell. With that being said, I fully expect him to take the Bama job. All this complaining about “hope we have a chance” and “poor little Clemson” is a mental thing. He is insecure. Dude obviously cares what people are saying. Go to Bama where everyone crowns you the champions before the season starts each year.
Dude...poor mouthing is an art..It is not complaining. Lou Holtz was a master of this...he said all that crap in public, but he was totally different when the doors were closed and the mics were gone. We are just not used to guys like that now. I despise Dubbo, but I seriously doubt anything that comes out of his mouth is a real feeling.

You do know that 95 Nebraska averaged 53 points a game...right? Just because everybody else gets blinded by throwing stats.. I don't. That offense was a machine, and it wasn't entirely dependent on one cog.
One of my favorite teams ever..........62-24. Screw UF

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back