JG 2020

Stop lying. They only stacked the box when Maurer came in. That is the only reason he had his one decent quarter. When they semi respected the pass he threw no tds and a ton of ints. JG actually got really defense played against him.
If everything you said about Maurer was true... and it isn't.... that wouldn't make JG a good QB. The difference is that one was a true Fr who pretty much everyone acknowledges wasn't ready to play. The other was a RS Jr that played so poorly that the coaches were forced to try a true Fr who wasn't ready to play.

JG like the announcer repeatedly said... throws late. He doesn't anticipate well and when DC's gameplan to take advantage of that weakness he's ineffective in leading scoring drives.

Reactions: KBVol
Jg should transfer to a MAC school where he can light it up...if he IS that good of a QB. Why not be the unquestioned starter without any worries of getting replaced instead of a situation where its iffy and he has no chance at the pros. He'll get noticed in conf USA or the MAC if he's good...like Big Ben was. Its time for the highly touted Harrison Bailey...and if he falls flat we bring in the backup...like every other top team.
How do you know that he's not the unquestioned starter in Knoxville? I don't think I've heard Pruitt speak on it but I would assume that the players have all met with Pruitt and have been told where they stand going into spring. It's naive to think that Pruitt has told JG that he'll likely not be the starter come spring.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I think one thing a lot of people overlook in the situation too is familiarity with the receiving corps...does JG relate and communicate with all of the young guys coming up like he does with JJ, Callaway, and Palmer ?
If not, then he might even look worse next year.

Also, the OL that is going to be crazy good next year scares me with JG as he could literally sot back there and hold onto the ball for 10 or 15 seconds deciding where to throw...more time is not JGs friend as he overthinks things already.

Reactions: sjt18
How do you know that he's not the unquestioned starter in Knoxville? I don't think I've heard Pruitt speak on it but I would assume that the players have all met with Pruitt and have been told where they stand going into spring. It's naive to think that Pruitt has told JG that he'll likely not be the starter come spring.
Well k-town... I mean Pulaski....

He's not the unquestioned starter. Evidence? Pruitt said that JG would stay and compete for the job in his post game press conference. That was in response to a question about JG leaving. Then you have the fact that even in the bowl game he wasn't so "unquestioned" as to be replaced. No doubt if Maurer had played like he played earlier in the season... JG doesn't come back in.

Then you have the whole season. He played poorly enough to be benched in favor of a true freshman who wasn't ready mentally. He played better when Maurer's injury gave him another opportunity. He played a 3 good games. He played bad vs Vandy... but you excused him. He played bad vs IU... and there is no excuse.

He has a fatal flaw. He doesn't anticipate well. It is something that can be developed but much of that is innate. He looks better some times but DC's are going to live on that flaw as long as he's the starter... which means UT needs another starter.

Reactions: KBVol
I am anxious to see how much the 2 freshmen advance during spring, summer and fall practice. I think JG is actually playing as well as he can play, not a complaint. The others have room to catch up and pass him if they have the ability. QB position is wide open next season. Will be fun to watch.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
So JG is going to figure out how to throw before a receiver breaks? He is going to be able to now go through progressions faster? He will now take off and run after 4 seconds in the pocket? Sorry just not that confident.
He is literally the slowest guy on the team and looks absolutely awkward when trying to run its crazy.

Won't be in there long if he starts 2020 like he started 2019. He still doesn't go through his progressions and stares down his receivers. No touch on passes is also a problem, in the red zone especially.. Possible to fix everything except the touch deal.

Reactions: mpfvol
I think people are taking JG and his experience for granted. I believe he’ll be TN’s QB and leader for the 2020 campaign, and will cement his legacy as one of UT’s greatest QB’s (based on stats and growth as a player).

JG struggled adapted to a new offense, which he was forced to do throughout his career thus far. But after a year in the system, and the experience he’s gained, I feel like JG will be among the leading QB’s in the SEC next season, and will even be mentioned in the heisman discussions a few times.

This type of ignorance from our fan base is infuriating. Have you paid attention to Tennessee football at all this year? Guarantano was a negative presence for this team. We won IN SPITE OF HIM. Not because of him. How you can’t figure that out is astonishing.

I think if we had Jajuan Jennings playing QB this year we probably would have won 10 games this year.

Harrison Bailey is going to laugh himself to sleep every night when he gets here and sees how good our line is and how bad all the other QBs are.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Harrison Bailey is going to laugh himself to sleep every night when he gets here and sees how good our line is and how bad all the other QBs are.
Still you would have to simplify it for a freshman. JG did cost them a couple of wins though.. He'll have to be more accurate next year, Jennings and Calloway won't be there to catch his jump passes.

Still you would have to simplify it for a freshman. JG did cost them a couple of wins though.. He'll have to be more accurate next year, Jennings and Calloway won't be there to catch his jump passes.
I'm hesitant to put expectations on an incoming true freshman... But the kid has known he was going to play QB in D1 since he was in junior high. And then went and threw 30 times a game in high school. I think he's got an OK understanding of offense.

On top of that.. A simplified playbook with an accurate QB is better than what we have now. A simplified playbook with an accurate QB beats Georgia State and BYU by 3 TD's.

Reactions: BLUTickbusdriver
@k-town_king

PS- JG STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points in a game against an FBS opponent. To clarify that a little more... GSU gave up 30 or more points in 9 of their other 12 games including 42 to FCS Furman in the week immediately following UT. It wasn't the OL. It wasn't the WR's. It wasn't the RB's. It was JG.
No, it wasn’t JG. Could he have been better? Sure. But he still threw for 300+ yards...where’s the complaint about the defense giving up 200+ rushing yards? Or Chandler “fumbling” aka dropping a simple swing route to begin the game. It’s multiple things, a lot of you guys (not all) like to put all of the blame on JG, and that’s not fair, or right.

If Pruitt trots JG out on the field to start our first series I'll personally hobble down that sideline and whoop his butt.

I can't see how JG improves by having another year with Chaney as OC, we've saw this movie and know how it ends, playing his 4th year can't read a defense,
most throws are late, and only few on target if he is a Heisman candidate 2020...……….well hell froze over...…….

Offseason thread topics
- who will win QB competition
-where will we be ranked
-what will our record be
-who wins the East
Seriously think we only need 4 threads the whole offseason.

I for one hope jg doesn't start, but I am afraid he will because it appears he does well in practice. I want our future qb to start the first game and get that game expierience before okl. We can beat okl with good qb play. We can beat them if jg has one of his good games, but you never know which jg is going to show up, and if for example jg starts and has a good game our first game, then comes okl. and has his usual bad game, we put a new qb in with no game expierience. Whoever our new qb will be needs as much game expierence as possible.

I’m with you on this. There will be growing pains. But I’d rather watch Maurer or bailey grow on the field than watch JG struggle another year. Game reps and first team reps are irreplaceable. Maurer showed us he has more arm talent, but also showed us he needs to calm down and make better decisions. If bailey is 60% of what people are hoping, he can be just as mediocre as JG with a higher ceiling. I want to see our future on the field, unless they are just plain worse than JG, which I don’t anticipate.

I think people are taking JG and his experience for granted. I believe he’ll be TN’s QB and leader for the 2020 campaign, and will cement his legacy as one of UT’s greatest QB’s (based on stats and growth as a player).

JG struggled adapted to a new offense, which he was forced to do throughout his career thus far. But after a year in the system, and the experience he’s gained, I feel like JG will be among the leading QB’s in the SEC next season, and will even be mentioned in the heisman discussions a few times.
I think it would be in the best interest of the program if he won the position next year. His intangibles, in addition to his talent, make him the best possible choice.

I think it would be in the best interest of the program if he won the position next year. His intangibles, in addition to his talent, make him the best possible choice.
Agreed..

It's not just that he'll be in the second year of the system, but the coaches will also have another year to work with him after a year of experience.

Reactions: VolDaddy61
Lol

Agreed..

It's not just that he'll be in the second year of the system, but the coaches will also have another year to work with him after a year of experience.
Can you please explain to me how he is going to improve on not throwing behind the reciever and anticipating the WR break as well as leading a reciever when that is basic QB skills taught at a JR high level? He couldn't do it then, and cant now. How much longer do we have to suffer for him to get "it"?

VN Store

Back