Kasim Hill QB

We know how he performed at Maryland, but it seems like since he arrived on the hill he's been unheard of. Like we don't even know how he did in practice or anything. I assume he ran scout-team some this year, but I don't even know that for sure. Basically he's a giant question mark.
To be honest, I’d forgotten all about him. Could be a solid option to redshirt Bailey and get him ready for 2021. VolNation has a love/hate relationship with JG. Going into his 5th year; still an unknown

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
I am a new member too. , and I'm thinking I may not be thick skinned enough to start a thread on here.lol so I salute you my friend, and I have wondered the same thing about hill, he seems a hidden commodity?
Just wait a little over two years like he did.

Reactions: trapper
JMO, but I think if Kasim Hill plays meaningful snaps at QB for us next season, it means we've lost multiple QB's to injury including JG
I don't think it has to be multiple. He could end up #3 and JG get hurt for a couple games and the backup plays bad and they try option #3.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Nobody really knows for certain how our QB competition will shake out for next season.

After our Spring game 2 guys could end up number 1 and number 2.

After our fall camp it could end up being 2 totally different guys at #1 and #2.

Only time will tell but it's going to be fun to watch and see how things shake out.

VFL...GBO!!!

Greetings all. I am new here. First time post. Anyway, what do we know about Maryland transfer Kasim Hill. He had to sit out this past season. But is he a viable option to start at QB. From what I have read he may be better than JG.

That's not saying a lot, to be honest. The real question is whether he is better than Shrout, Maurer and Bailey.

Reactions: savannahfan
Greetings all. I am new here. First time post. Anyway, what do we know about Maryland transfer Kasim Hill. He had to sit out this past season. But is he a viable option to start at QB. From what I have read he may be better than JG.

Most QB's are better than JG. I think he could be the wild card in the QB this next seaon. Injuries and inconsistency with accuracy was a big problem at Maryland. Before people say it, he isn't a true running QB. In 13 career games he never had more than 6 Rush attempts in any game and 5 of those games he finished with negative yardage. 41 rushing yards in a game is his highest.

Reactions: RollerVol

It's possible but not likely. Bailey has the highest ceiling and fullt believe he is our QB of the future.Whether that is this upcoming season or the next one is unknown but from a pure talent standpoint Bailey is at the very top of that list by a good bit. But we've seen elite HS QB"s fail at the College level year in and out and will continue doing it for as long as any of us live. Hopefully Harrison doesn't fall into that category. I would be shocked if Hill ever starts or contributes much as a Vol. If he gets significant Playing Time then we probably are in serious $hit.

Reactions: RollerVol
JG's problem, to me seems more mental than anything. If the QB battle is nonexistent in his mind, he plays like crap. *notice how he performs coming off the bench behind someone else or is pulled from the game and comes in later. This is also noticeable in the red zone. He more often than not delivers a less than accurate throw.

My hope is that one of the newbies comes in during practice and is light years ahead, and there's no competition to be had. I really don't care who that is, I want to see consistency. JG would be a "decent" backup or one of the backups. I know that's not what he wants his senior year, but it's a business, and you have to perform. Maurer and Shrout, I don't think we see much more from them, although I could be wrong. I think surely as many QB's as we have on the roster we see a couple transfer next year, if not during the off season.

To sum up JG's season, he helped lose a couple of games we should have won, but then again, he helped get us to a bowl game. I wish nothing but the best for him, but dang, if what we see is what we're going to get next year, I hope we have another option. Can you imagine the crowd at the first game if JG is trotted out?!

Hi, Kasim, welcome to Neyland and the UT.

Looks like he's a lurker......joined 2017. 🤣🤣🤣

I'm with @VolforFootball I think it could possibly be a battle with Hill and Bailey......unless Maurer makes a massive leap in the offseason. It's kinda nice having options at least. Really getting a fuzzy feeling about 2020 if we can get this QB thing figured out.
Don't forget about Holiday he could be like Vick or Jackson but he is fast like Gray and can throw and he is a QB so Far.

JG's problem, to me seems more mental than anything. If the QB battle is nonexistent in his mind, he plays like crap. *notice how he performs coming off the bench behind someone else or is pulled from the game and comes in later. This is also noticeable in the red zone. He more often than not delivers a less than accurate throw.

My hope is that one of the newbies comes in during practice and is light years ahead, and there's no competition to be had. I really don't care who that is, I want to see consistency. JG would be a "decent" backup or one of the backups. I know that's not what he wants his senior year, but it's a business, and you have to perform. Maurer and Shrout, I don't think we see much more from them, although I could be wrong. I think surely as many QB's as we have on the roster we see a couple transfer next year, if not during the off season.

To sum up JG's season, he helped lose a couple of games we should have won, but then again, he helped get us to a bowl game. I wish nothing but the best for him, but dang, if what we see is what we're going to get next year, I hope we have another option. Can you imagine the crowd at the first game if JG is trotted out?!

Best case scenario IMO
1. Go thru Spring/summer & 3 way QB race with JP holding close to vest right up to KO.
2. Bailey wins start vs Charlotte & you still have JG &/or Maurer come off bench if needed & on ready for nx road vs Oklahoma
3. To late for JG to transfer be in his 5th year be a great option coming in relief if needed throughout the year
4. Maurer would have 4 games to help us & then he could make a in best interest decision
5. JTS already RS'd so he stays no matter & grad transfers after season
6. Really in good shape if they just don't hand the job over like last year.
7. This sets us up for 2021 with experienced QB & massive OL sans Trey

Yes sir, already working on hotel. Have you ever been there?
Went to the last one...going to the next. Friends already got us a hotel in Norman. Better snap one up or you’ll need to get one in Oklahoma City...like my wife and I did last time. GREAT game environment! Maybe even better than College Station. Definitely need to meet up again.

Kasim Hill. His strengths / weaknesses ? I have only heard about the one game were he bought his team back for the win. Can anyone shed some light on this ?

He is a running qb who has had two knee surgeries in 4 years. He is a walk on, so it’s doubtful he will ever see the field. He may turn out to provide valuable depth depending on who decides to transfer though.

All I can say is....
Between
JG
Kasim Hill
Brian Maurer
JT Shrout
Harrison Bailey
Jimmy Holiday....

If we can't find a freaking QB, we have a MAJOR problem.

Reactions: trapper
Joined 2017.... Doesn't sound new to me. I figure you have "visited" over this time difference. Just the same, good question as I don't remember much other than "light musings" about him at the time of his transfer.
As to his comparison to JG, he wouldn't have to be too good to compare well. You may need to want to see how he stacks up with someone else.

I guess I should have been more clear. I am new to posting. I have lurked here for years. Hope to post more in the future. I went to the Gator Bowl, and it’s been nothing but good news for the Vols in the past week. Got to have solid QB play to be a serious threat to the top schools. Let’s hope with Hill, or more likely the kid from Georgia, we get much improved play over JG.

Haaaa, the truth shall set you free. Wish I could have been at the game.... POST and THREAD on!!!!

To be honest, I’d forgotten all about him. Could be a solid option to redshirt Bailey and get him ready for 2021. VolNation has a love/hate relationship with JG. Going into his 5th year; still an unknown

Tell me this, you and others have talked about red shirting the new "savior". I have been lead/or read to believe by some "he will start". I have read this red shirt idea from time to time also. So which is it, "good enough to start or needs a year to get ready?

Most QB's are better than JG. I think he could be the wild card in the QB this next seaon. Injuries and inconsistency with accuracy was a big problem at Maryland. Before people say it, he isn't a true running QB. In 13 career games he never had more than 6 Rush attempts in any game and 5 of those games he finished with negative yardage. 41 rushing yards in a game is his highest.

Where have I heard this before???

Tell me this, you and others have talked about red shirting the new "savior". I have been lead/or read to believe by some "he will start". I have read this red shirt idea from time to time also. So which is it, "good enough to start or needs a year to get ready?
Nobody KNOWS. Precluding either possibility is on us. Everything else is up to the young man.

Reactions: tbones0711
Kasim Hill. His strengths / weaknesses ? I have only heard about the one game were he bought his team back for the win. Can anyone shed some light on this ?
Watched some replays before posting. Pigrome was starting QB at Maryland in 2017 and was injured in 1st game vs. Texas in Austin. Maryland had the lead midway thru 3rd qtr. when Pigrome went down and Texas may have taken the lead by 3-4 points. Hill finished the game and Maryland won. Hill injured his knee in 3rd or 4th game in 2017.

In 2018 Hill won the starting QB position under OC Matt Canada. Maryland beat Texas again to open the season. Hill played in 10 games before he tore his other ACL and Maryland was 5-5. Canada was shuffling QB's Hill and Pigrome a lot and Pigrome was a faster scrambler and both had about same passing statistics. Hill looks to be a decent pocket passer. Looks aren't everything.

UT's problem at QB is the ability to understand Chaney's playbook. 4 QB's will now have 1 year each and Hill is one of them. Bailey and Holiday are just starting but both are on campus getting a headstart. JG must be ahead of the rest in reading defenses and checking down but Hill has some experience (2 years). As one poster stated it's anybody's guess at this point. I, like many, wish we could get one consistent starter and a solid back-up. It's gonna be a crying shame to have such a highly touted OLine and inconsistent QB play because we have to consider that this line is just gonna remain intact, (barring injury), for just one year. I'd fast-track HB no if ands or butts because I forsee CJC leaning heavily toward the run anyway. If JG stays he'll be 1st back-up and many feel he'll start. Hill may be in advantageous position having a year in the system already and be 2nd -3rd team QB. He has 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Reactions: orangemadam
Nobody better than JG in our coaches eyes. He's UTs Starling. Noone will take the starting job from him no matter how much he regresses in this off-season.
Don't see it. UT's coaches replaced JG with a true Fr after UF that they knew was not ready to play. They liked what they saw well enough that they planned to make him the starter before he had his head/neck injury.

JG could have sealed it up if he had played the last two games like he had the previous 3 or 4. Instead, he reinforced all of the concerns that got him benched to start with.

If I were laying odds... I would say there is a better than 50% chance that someone outperforms him and takes the starting job. IMO, the rest except for Holiday have pretty equal chances of being that guy. The only caveat is that I doubt Bailey would be thrown out there in the first game.

Reactions: tbones0711

VN Store

Back