'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

Pretty sure Bailey is going to be better than Burrow Tua and Peyton combined, win 3 SECC and 3 NCs, break every UT, SEC, and NCAA passing record, and back to back to back Heisman Trophies. Redshirt year for him would be huge though. No need to rush the future GOAT into action. One more year of JG then we’ll be flying high.
Only two Heismans? Don't want.

It's almost like JG needs to hit bottom before he can pick himself back up again.

The weird situation where we'd start Maurer for a series or two then put JG in and he'd play well...

Getting yanked against Indiana and came back in to make a few plays on the GW drives.

This will not be sustainable if we intend to take the next step forward in '20. We can't play that little game with him.

The pressure for CJP to put Bailey in will be enormous at the first sign of JG struggles. I really hope HB comes in and is just clearly the better option, which he will be, just a question of how long he will need.

JG seems like a great kid and there are some good memories with him here along with some not so good ones. It just seems like if he were going to shake off this mental block he would've done it already.

Pretty sure Bailey is going to be better than Burrow Tua and Peyton combined, win 3 SECC and 3 NCs, break every UT, SEC, and NCAA passing record, and back to back to back Heisman Trophies. Redshirt year for him would be huge though. No need to rush the future GOAT into action. One more year of JG then we’ll be flying high.

Man your sarcasm game is elite

Didn't Bailey have similar or better HS stats as Trevor Lawrence? Why are people arguing for redshirting him? Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury. A competent QB was the difference between us going 8-5 and 10-3 or better.
His stats were the 4th best in Georgia high school history and he played in the best league in Georgia. Last year, he played in two "all star" games, one at the start of the season and one at the end of the season. In both games, he was fantastic and both games were on National TV. I expect to see him on the field this Fall and probably playing a lot of football the last half the season. Unless JG improves more than he has in the past, HB could be starting by mid October. However, I would like to see him have the opportunity to benefit from the S&C program and learn the complete playbook before he is thrown to the meat of the SEC season.

Reactions: GojiraVol17
Didn't Bailey have similar or better HS stats as Trevor Lawrence? Why are people arguing for redshirting him? Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury. A competent QB was the difference between us going 8-5 and 10-3 or better.

So weird, I see the exact opposite. Basically everyone says "if he can win the starting job, that would be great!!!".
But after that, it looks to me like some just want to burn a redshirt, no matter what.

Like if he needs time to learn the playbook and only plays in 4 games, they want him to play 1 series in a 5th, just cause.
I just don't get it.

We should look to the past to make an educated guess for the future. Henry T was an immediate starter when he stepped on campus not because of his physical abilities, but because of his mental ones. I think about this passage from an article in the Athletic about why he chose Tennessee.
To’oto’o had been interested in Alabama and was doing his due diligence by checking out Tennessee, who had hired Pruitt, the Crimson Tide’s defensive coordinator, six months earlier.
For the next three hours, the four of them sat in the dark. Pruitt showed the To’oto’os film from Alabama, explaining how his defense worked and how he could use Henry within it. At Tennessee, To’oto’o would mostly play weak-side inside linebacker, with a chance to play some Mike linebacker. Pruitt needled To’oto’o with questions along the way, feeling out the five-star linebacker’s football IQ. Eventually, Tennessee’s staff told To’oto’o he’d have a chance to start as a true freshman.
Pruitt’s eyebrows were raised when To’oto’o picked up concepts as quickly as Pruitt could teach them. He moved on to some film cutups of Tennessee’s spring practice, explaining the differences between what the Tide could run with their personnel versus the brand of 3-4 defense Tennessee would be playing.
To’oto’o and his father had never met Pruitt before that weekend. Pruitt saw a player he could teach concepts to and explain how he could fit. So he did exactly that.
“This guy is wired up like a scientist,” Iese To’oto’o said.

Pruitt doesn’t trust Maurer or Shrout because they don’t *fully* understand protections or what defensive alignments they’re looking at on the field. Henry T is a sponge who picks everything up as fast as possible, so Pruitt trusted him and gave him the spot.

Granted the quarterback spot is the most important and complex on the field, but if Bailey does the same, he’ll start. That’s all of it to me.

Think it’s been, “would be nice to redshirt him and give a year to learn the playbook.” This would be ideal with a good junior or senior QB.

However, if he wins the job, let’s roll.

HB has to learn the things JG already knows. Defenses, progressions, etc. If CJP is the man I think he is, he'll start JG until HB learns these things and Bailey will be a mid/late year starter. JMO/IMO

Guys unless injury, HB will only be in college 3 to 4 years period redshirt or not. Best case is he takes over after 4th or 5th game.

Reactions: GuRu

VN Store

Back