2020 qb comparison/talk/debate (merged)

The quickest way to lose by 20 is throwing ints like BM.
Btw..... did last night finally show you the difference in accuracy and decision making? JG was inaccurate where BM was making bad decisions. I really hope you were able to see the difference

Kasim Hill will be the starter next season! Didn't see that coming did you Volnation!:p:eek::po_O!!!! He wins the SEC East, loses the SEC title game, 4th team in the playoff, finishes second in the Heisman race behind an unnamed Ohio State QB, then beats Ohio State for the National Title! It's happening! Soon!

The quickest way to lose by 20 is throwing ints like BM.
Yet, the only Tennessee qb who threw picks last night was Guarantano. Two to be exact, Both of which led directly to points for Indiana. Conversely, Mauer came in, threw zero picks and put points on the board for Tennessee....and put a tourniquet on the massive hemorrhaging of our offense that Guarantano started single-handedly.

Yet, the only Tennessee qb who threw picks last night was Guarantano. Two to be exact, Both of which led directly to points for Indiana. Conversely, Mauer came in, threw zero picks and put points on the board for Tennessee....and put a tourniquet on the massive hemorrhaging of our offense that Guarantano started single-handedly.
And the argument could be made that without those points we lose that game.

Earlier in this thread, first page, I said JG all the way. I'm not sure he ever improves and next year may look like this one all over again.

Earlier in this thread, first page, I said JG all the way. I'm not sure he ever improves and next year may look like this one all over again.
As a fan I hope he improves to the point that he is in the heisman discussion next year but at this point he hasn’t given us any hope of that happening.

Well off season officially starts today to lets get started with a topic we will probably see 100 more threads on: Is JG the starting QB for 2020 ?

Why 'YES' : He is senior. He is experienced and seems like getting on same page with Chaney. JG has shown some nice deep ball skills and knows the playbooks, adjustments, checks better than others on the roster. We will be facing OU on the road early in the season and good to have an experienced QB.

Why 'NO' : He is inconsistent, almost bi-polar as QB. Still seems to miss wide open receivers on reads (saw miss two receivers that could have given us 1st down on third trip to red zone yesterday). We know his ceiling and its not very high.

I like the kid. Tough and gritty but I doubt he will take us past 8 wins.

Your thoughts ??

Not gonna debate whether he will start or not. I do know he is a great kid. I was at the game Thursday and after all the festivities were over, the players were celebrating with the Tennessee side of the stadium, and JG ran all the way across the field to sign autographs. His has a good heart, and whether he plays next year or not, he would still be good for the team just for his experience. I'm a fan.

Reactions: DixieVol
And this years game expierence will do wonders the rest of his career. He will get much better. imo we set ut back one year by going with jg.
I think it goes deeper than just one year. Essentially we traded a possible 2021-2022 SEC championships for this years Gator Bowl. By favoring JG in 2019 this is the most likely of Consequences imo-

Losses: opportunity to get a qb ready for 2020 and beyond
Possible 2021-2022 SEC championship/playoff birth we’ll be watching Bo Nix and Auburn and Hillinski and USCe challenge instead

Gains: JG for 1 more year

2019 Tax Slayer Bowl

Backlash of 2019: JG returns for his senior season and is favored once again due to experience. The qb room is now crowded and therefore less opportunity for 1-1 coaching. JTS,BM,HB and JH battle it out for #2 at best. Winner stays the other goes (between BM-HB).

This is why I personally get upset over the management of the position. By next season this could possibly be a championship caliber defense. What those guys wouldn’t give to have a capable qb on the offensive side of the ball.

JG is 100%for a fact the starter unless he blows up again. They will protect Baileys redshirt at all costs or unless all the other QBs are hurt dead or transfered.
OK I forget how many games a Frosh can play and retain his red shirt...3 or 4 games? We only have 3 buy games next year with OK our 2nd game. HB should see the field against Charlotte, Furman, and Troy. Beyond that it depends who CJP trusts to be the starter. Must say while I like JG's toughness, but he is erratic enough to drive me to drink. Plus he pretty much sucks against Bama, UGA, and FL.

I think it goes deeper than just one year. Essentially we traded a possible 2021-2022 SEC championships for this years Gator Bowl. By favoring JG in 2019 this is the most likely of Consequences imo-

Losses: opportunity to get a qb ready for 2020 and beyond
Possible 2021-2022 SEC championship/playoff birth we’ll be watching Bo Nix and Auburn and Hillinski and USCe challenge instead

Gains: JG for 1 more year

2019 Tax Slayer Bowl

Backlash of 2019: JG returns for his senior season and is favored once again due to experience. The qb room is now crowded and therefore less opportunity for 1-1 coaching. JTS,BM,HB and JH battle it out for #2 at best. Winner stays the other goes (between BM-HB).

This is why I personally get upset over the management of the position. By next season this could possibly be a championship caliber defense. What those guys wouldn’t give to have a capable qb on the offensive side of the ball.

One thing about the experience part is that we now have 3 guys who played games this year. Specifically Maurer. The thing about Maurer is that he will be entering his second season with the S&C program. He will also be a 2nd offseason into the offense install with the same OC.

Pruitt went with JG a lot due to experience in large part and the fact no one wants to throw out a true freshman QB either.

However going into next year, we will have 3 QB's who have SEC experience from a lot (JG) to a little (Shrout).

The playing because of experience gambit is no longer a leg up for any QB on the roster.

Reactions: V0LUNT33R
I know what I see. You’ll love me one day if everything I’ve told everyone all along proves true as long as he stays here. If not you’ll still respect me more if he’s doing it somewhere else. Bottom line... the choice is Pruitts to make.
We get you in all of your nonobjective glory...like a bonus kick in the nads after they’ve already been ruptured. 😫

And the argument could be made that without those points we lose that game.
We absolutely lose that game without those points. That drive was a throw away for the staff if they only intended to give BM one drive. The fact that he drove us down the field and got 3 was the difference. Possibly the biggest points of the game

One thing about the experience part is that we now have 3 guys who played games this year. Specifically Maurer. The thing about Maurer is that he will be entering his second season with the S&C program. He will also be a 2nd offseason into the offense install with the same OC.

Pruitt went with JG a lot due to experience in large part and the fact no one wants to throw out a true freshman QB either.

However going into next year, we will have 3 QB's who have SEC experience from a lot (JG) to a little (Shrout).

The playing because of experience gambit is no longer a leg up for any QB on the roster.
You may be right but I’m going to disagree given JP has already shown all season long to favor JG regardless. He’d rather lose with JG than lose with Maurer, Shrout or any other QBs for that matter.

We absolutely lose that game without those points. That drive was a throw away for the staff if they only intended to give BM one drive. The fact that he drove us down the field and got 3 was the difference. Possibly the biggest points of the game
The 14 following that much more so.

My thoughts? I honestly have no clue what's going to happen. Here's some likely outcomes imo.
#1) JG stays for his 5th year and he continues to ball-out in practice, win the starting job leading into fall. HB readshirts
#2) JG stays, continues to show out at practice, but HB right behind and they split snaps.
#3) JG transfers, QB battle ensues, multi-qb system, whoever wins at practice gets the next week's start.
#4) JG stays or transfers, HB wins the starting job anyways
#5) JG, JT, or BM transfer, QB battle. It gets messy from here.
We really won't get a good idea until either before our first game, or half-way through Sept. Surprises could erupt at anytime.
I think Bailey is our savior, but I am not the coach.

I admire your persistence

We get you in all of your nonobjective glory...like a bonus kick in the nads after they’ve already been ruptured. 😫
You can say what you wish but if you think back I have still yet to tell anyone anything untrue. Knowing his skill set vs JGs I said IF he got an opportunity this year he would run away with the job. He was in the process of such before injury. Barring injury he’ll do it again.
outside of him I’m trying to get others as well. A defensive end in particular. But I’m not a defensive mind so I’ll do what I can and hope for the best. You THINK I’m only here for him and you couldn’t be more wrong.

I agree!! And it provided the spark JG needed.

I have said multiple times today that I am not a JG fan but when we needed him the most he played his best and for that I respect him but I think he has reached his ceiling and for this team to take the next step we need some one else behind center.

You may be right but I’m going to disagree given JP has already shown all season long to favor JG regardless. He’d rather lose with JG than lose with Maurer, Shrout or any other QBs for that matter.

Once again, JG was only experience QB on the roster and Maurer couldn't stay healthy to finish a game and JT had a very short leash.

Inexperience won't be an issue or determining factor this offseason.

I admire your persistence
If they were only intending to talk to JG on the sideline and only giving BM a series then the fact that he came away with points in that one opportunity was HUGE in a 1 point win.

Once again, JG was only experience QB on the roster and Maurer couldn't stay healthy to finish a game and JT had a very short leash.

Inexperience won't be an issue or determining factor this offseason.
I hope you’re right.

I agree!! And it provided the spark JG needed.

I have said multiple times today that I am not a JG fan but when we needed him the most he played his best and for that I respect him but I think he has reached his ceiling and for this team to take the next step we need some one else behind center.
I obviously agree with that and I can’t believe I’m now having to defend those 3 points BM got last night. Smh. But you’re right overall. I was hoping JG would be better at the beginning of the year and supported him. I became a neutral throughout the season until I seen the way the other QBs were treated and now Im “only here for one player” because I defend against that kind of coaching.

VN Store

Back