2020 qb comparison/talk/debate (merged)

Just odd that he’s been referenced as the cause of incomplete passes or one of the interceptions in an intra-squad game. Those things happen to other QBs...why not Maurer?
They happen all the time. No doubt. Proper depth, body catching, wrong route ext all lead to ints. That’s why qb stats are often a misrepresentation of the qb himself. In fact I never thought it was fair that only qbs and HCs carry a record of wins and losses. I agree on HCs but a qb can only do HIS job but that’s the way it is.

They happen all the time. No doubt. Proper depth, body catching, wrong route ext all lead to ints. That’s why qb stats are often a misrepresentation of the qb himself. In fact I never thought it was fair that only qbs and HCs carry a record of wins and losses. I agree on HCs but a qb can only do HIS job but that’s the way it is.
They happen to everybody but only the ones affecting a certain player count?

Reactions: lexkyvol
They happen to everybody but only the ones affecting a certain player count?
We can take JTS and BM both into account on this one. Idk how good JTSs team was but I’ve heard both ways. He threw 27 ints and more than likely about 10 or so were tip drills and/or wrong route or improper depth on a timing route. None are within his control but it’s his stat. It’s no secret how bad BMs team was and they averaged 11 drops a game in 2017 and 6 of his 12 ints were tip drills. But still HIS stat as they don’t stat drops on WRs until they reach the pros. It’s really unfair because all you can do as a qbs is YOUR job. You can do it perfectly but your success rides as much on the receivers as it does yourself.

The impression of Maurer for me from his limited playing time against Indy was not very favorable to be honest.

He’s athletic and has a good arm but that’s really all I saw. After a full season you’d think he would have had a better grasp of the Offense and Defensive reads. That one eye black thing and a helmet pulled down over his eye lids didn’t help either and made him look really foolish in my opinion. Does he refuse to wear a helmet that actually fits his head? How can he possibly have a full view of the action? Of course the aesthetics don’t make or break a guy but what I gathered from it all was that this guy has a lot of growing up to do and probably won’t do so in the small window of time that is his college career. I’m afraid he is not the answer.

It’s frightening to think that all our eggs are squarely in Baileys basket with him being a true freshmen. Hopefully he’s ready.

Mauer is Brett Farve/Tyler Bray type QB. He’s going to make some boneheaded plays, but his ceiling is really high. He’s going to win more games than he’s going to lose. JG needs a change of scenery at this point. His mental issues aren’t going to resolve themselves any time soon.

The impression of Maurer for me from his limited playing time against Indy was not very favorable to be honest.

He’s athletic and has a good arm but that’s really all I saw. After a full season you’d think he would have had a better grasp of the Offense and Defensive reads. That one eye black thing and a helmet pulled down over his eye lids didn’t help either and made him look really foolish in my opinion. Does he refuse to wear a helmet that actually fits his head? How can he possibly have a full view of the action? Of course the aesthetics don’t make or break a guy but what I gathered from it all was that this guy has a lot of growing up to do and probably won’t do so in the small window of time that is his college career. I’m afraid he is not the answer.

It’s frightening to think that all our eggs are squarely in Baileys basket with him being a true freshmen. Hopefully he’s ready.
Growing up. Like pouting on the sideline on national TV after getting pulled, or spending the off season working on how to change how his name is pronounced, or magically on national TV mentioning death threat and treatment so severe that you dont file a police report??? That type of growing up..

We can take JTS and BM both into account on this one. Idk how good JTSs team was but I’ve heard both ways. He threw 27 ints and more than likely about 10 or so were tip drills and/or wrong route or improper depth on a timing route. None are within his control but it’s his stat. It’s no secret how bad BMs team was and they averaged 11 drops a game in 2017 and 6 of his 12 ints were tip drills. But still HIS stat as they don’t stat drops on WRs until they reach the pros. It’s really unfair because all you can do as a qbs is YOUR job. You can do it perfectly but your success rides as much on the receivers as it does yourself.
There are some unfair circumstances that negatively affect a QB’s stats, but they all balance out in the end. Maurer didn’t have a full shelf to display his true talent level, but we can only judge what was on the field...not what we personally KNOW about how everything would have turned out if reality hadn’t intervened. Jerry Colquitt without a knee injury keeps Peyton Manning on the bench and most likely has a NFL career. Jerry Colquitt DIDN’T keep Peyton Manning on the bench and DIDN’T have a NFL career. See how that worked?

Growing up. Like pouting on the sideline on national TV after getting pulled, or spending the off season working on how to change how his name is pronounced, or magically on national TV mentioning death threat and treatment so severe that you dont file a police report??? That type of growing up..
He didn’t get “pulled” against Georgia Tech...he never played. Yeah that was overblown...is that what you’re getting at? The name pronunciation was mentioned in an interview after 4 years on campus...is that a cumulative “offseason”? I don’t think any of us have any authority on how he handled the alleged death threats. I don’t think it’s a matter of “maturity”. I’m 50 and I don’t know how I’d react. FWIW any comments on Maurer’s composure and makeup based on sideline glances and social media posts is silly sauce. So I prove it by not participating in the scrum. 😏

All y’all bickering over who should be the qb sound like a bunch of teen girls arguing over whose the cutest boy in the school. Here is objective reality.
First, we have excellent coaches who know what they’re doing and they want to win. They’re not playing favorites like little league daddy ball coaches.
Second, JG has not played well especially at critical times this season. He has also played well at times and led us to more victories than we’ve had in a while. The coaches realize his limitations and have done a good job working around them to win ball games.
Third, neither of our back up qbs are ready to take the reins. If they were they would have. They, particularly BM, have been given opportunities and they have shown they are not ready and yes JG has been terrible at times but his deficiencies are less risky and more easily worked around.
Fourth, pump the brakes on HB. He has amazing potential and he looks like the real deal but potential and realization of that potential are very different things. Many things have to go right for that to happen. Many bashing JG today were talking 4 years ago about him the same way they’re talking about HB today.
Bottom line, the coaches chose the path of least risk and went with the devil they knew. They chose the best chance of winning ball games and they were right. Next year, new ball game.

The opposite is actually what continued to happen on the field.

Chaney continued to run up the gut on 1st down.....which produced 2nd and longs----which led IU's defense to play Cover 2 zone--2 VERY DEEP safeties taking away deep balls....and other DBs taking away slants...
We got some holding penalties, missed some passes on 2nd downs that put us in 3rd and long situations....and IU still kept 2 very deep safeties over the top and brought just enough pressure with blitzes to force JG to make bad throws.

It's the Will Muschamp playbook for beating both Josh Dobbs and JG....and it worked every year until this year when we actually hit some long passes against their weak secondary.

IU's plan was plain and simple and predicated upon their conviction that JG could not beat them by throwing the ball down the field.
We hit one long pass all night down the field...and it could've very easily been intercepted.

The soft underbelly of that approach is to be patient and continue to throw the check-downs to TEs in-between the LBs and the RBs out of the backfield.
Chaney finally started to do that in desperation with 5 minutes left in the game.

We were thoroughly out-coached by IU's defensive staff for most of last night's game!

You are right in your analysis. But, I still say if you (maybe not you), me, Chaney or most anyone would do the same if we had little or no confidence in our QB. A first down run up the middle for 0-1 yrd. is much better than a QB loss or interception, or what ever. Then in downs 2-3 here again,,, well.
If a run works, fine, if not, we are no worse off than we were before first down was a 0-1 yrd play..

All y’all bickering over who should be the qb sound like a bunch of teen girls arguing over whose the cutest boy in the school. Here is objective reality.
First, we have excellent coaches who know what they’re doing and they want to win. They’re not playing favorites like little league daddy ball coaches.
Second, JG has not played well especially at critical times this season. He has also played well at times and led us to more victories than we’ve had in a while. The coaches realize his limitations and have done a good job working around them to win ball games.
Third, neither of our back up qbs are ready to take the reins. If they were they would have. They, particularly BM, have been given opportunities and they have shown they are not ready and yes JG has been terrible at times but his deficiencies are less risky and more easily worked around.
Fourth, pump the brakes on HB. He has amazing potential and he looks like the real deal but potential and realization of that potential are very different things. Many things have to go right for that to happen. Many bashing JG today were talking 4 years ago about him the same way they’re talking about HB today.
Bottom line, the coaches chose the path of least risk and went with the devil they knew. They chose the best chance of winning ball games and they were right. Next year, new ball game.
Not only coaches but Jauan said that JG gave the team the best chance to win...next year works out perfectly imo You have a senior there to handle the team until Bailey is ready to take over for 3 plus years

You are right in your analysis. But, I still say if you (maybe not you), me, Chaney or most anyone would do the same if we had little or no confidence in our QB. A first down run up the middle for 0-1 yrd. is much better than a QB loss or interception, or what ever. Then in downs 2-3 here again,,, well.
If a run works, fine, if not, we are no worse off than we were before first down was a 0-1 yrd play..

I'm sorry but these statements make absolutely no sense.....

JG's bad night was compounded by Chaney's failure to adjust to IU's defense for most of the game.....

I mean, no offense, but if you cannot discern that we were able to move the ball down the field by throwing short passes to Gray out of the backfield in front of IU's LBs late in the 4th QTR...I really don't know how to explain it in a way that you would understand.

JG did hit one 15-20 yard pass to JJ on a back-shoulder throw in a formation that had 4 WRs running streaks on that drive....but it largely was the check-down underneath stuff that walked it down the field.

Those plays were open all night....and Chaney never took advantage of them.....and never tried to throw a screen to Gray, either......

As far as QBs go, I know some think Bailey will come in and start. Maybe he does. But it could be a disaster if that happens. Hear me out. Now granted this is not a likely scenario, but given the ease of transfers now, it's certainly feasible.

Say Bailey wins the job and becomes the starter. Niw some have speculated that Shrout and possibly Maurer coukd transfer. Lets say that happens. Well what happens if JG transfers as well? Now some will say he needs to go. I think thats dumb but whatever. That woukd leave us with who? Hill? A guy who has not proven anything in the SEC. if these scenarios happen, that could be really bad. We woukd be extremely thin at QB.

I believe the best case scenario would be either JG or BM is the starter and Bailey RS. Ideally it would be great if Shrout stays because I think he is better than Hill.

Having said all that those who continue to bash JG look a bit foolish now. Yes he didnt play good in the Gator bowl. But who did the coaches trust to win the game? JG. And guess what? He did. The bottom line is Maurer isnt there yet. JG gave us the best chance to win this year. If not for JG we likely wouldnt have sniffed a bowl game much less a win.

As far as QBs go, I know some think Bailey will come in and start. Maybe he does. But it could be a disaster if that happens. Hear me out. Now granted this is not a likely scenario, but given the ease of transfers now, it's certainly feasible.

Say Bailey wins the job and becomes the starter. Niw some have speculated that Shrout and possibly Maurer coukd transfer. Lets say that happens. Well what happens if JG transfers as well? Now some will say he needs to go. I think thats dumb but whatever. That woukd leave us with who? Hill? A guy who has not proven anything in the SEC. if these scenarios happen, that could be really bad. We woukd be extremely thin at QB.

I believe the best case scenario would be either JG or BM is the starter and Bailey RS. Ideally it would be great if Shrout stays because I think he is better than Hill.

Having said all that those who continue to bash JG look a bit foolish now. Yes he didnt play good in the Gator bowl. But who did the coaches trust to win the game? JG. And guess what? He did. The bottom line is Maurer isnt there yet. JG gave us the best chance to win this year. If not for JG we likely wouldnt have sniffed a bowl game much less a win.

i have a question about transferring. BM could in theory stay through the 4th game next season then if wants to transfer he could still enter the transfer portal and redshirt next year. That would make him eligible to play in the 2021 season right??

i have a question about transferring. BM could in theory stay through the 4th game next season then if wants to transfer he could still enter the transfer portal and redshirt next year. That would make him eligible to play in the 2021 season right??

I think so

You have to have a athletic qb. That’s always been a plus for a qb but overall couple of years the game has evolved to the point that you just have to have. Watching the cfb playoffs was just further confirmation. Many of the huge plays made by burrows and Lawrence actually came after they felt (and avoided) early pressure while keeping their eyes down the field.
Jg’s greatest deficiency is his lack of athleticism/ability to ever avoid any pressure. He’s not that accurate of a passer most of the time and often doesn’t seems to understand the game situation, but all of that could be mitigated if he could just use his feet to buy time and occasionally pick up a first down with his feet. As a vol fan we have to hope we have a qb on the roster next year with this skill set. And of course we also have to hope that Pruitt will give someone other than Jg a shot to win the job. Otherwise it’ll just be more frustration.

He’s made his share of mistakes. But what people gotta understand is learning a new system while learning to adjust to the speed of the game at the same time is tricky. That’s why freshman even at the Hs level lock on to #1. Hell..... it happens with rookies in the pros. Qbs need time to get comfortable with KNOWING where their receivers are going to be without looking. It all fixes itself over time and that where Hs film becomes important in evaluation. If they did it as a senior in Hs it’s likely that’s just who they are. But I can assure you he didn’t. Feel free to look at his highlight film and count how many times he threw into dbl/triple coverage and you won’t use one hand. You can also see how fast he is through his progression in an offense he knows if you pay attention.
nothing excuses throwing into triple coverage. that has nothing to do with any learning curve

nothing excuses throwing into triple coverage. that has nothing to do with any learning curve
That throw was my worst moment of the night. I was sitting at the 5 yard line with that throw coming to my end and I could tell where that ball was going as soon as he finished his drop. I think I said no out loud at least twice before he released the ball lol. Indiana guy next to me enjoyed my near nervous breakdown.

That throw was my worst moment of the night. I was sitting at the 5 yard line with that throw coming to my end and I could tell where that ball was going as soon as he finished his drop. I think I said no out loud at least twice before he released the ball lol. Indiana guy next to me enjoyed my near nervous breakdown.
I would have thought the pick 6 to the db 5 ysrds behind the wr would rank number 1

Not only coaches but Jauan said that JG gave the team the best chance to win...next year works out perfectly imo You have a senior there to handle the team until Bailey is ready to take over for 3 plus years
H#ll No.
The only thing we get from this year is that Pruitt/coaches felt JG was less risky due to experience.
Let’s hope they feel having the best talent on the field will give us the best chance next year

Or the several near misses along the way. Gotta remember to consider the source. Some are only here to comment with a BM backhand.
I said it was MY worst moment, as in me talking like an idiot during a play. I swear. You’ve got one gear. This may be a shock, but not every post is in response to you or a slight to a QB.

But, we apparently have something to talk about. What the heck does “consider the source” mean?

VN Store

Back