Are we just a QB away from being good?

JG is a liability. He's a MAC conference level guy at best. HB looks like a legit SEC recruit from what I've seen and read. One note on the onside kick. We could've just as easily kicked it away and held them on defense. There was like 4:32 left when we did that....so in no way did it "win us the game". It was just a good play we made on special teams. Back to the QB. We got a fantastic return past the 50 yard line...and THEN JG throws a pick 6. "What a turn of events" as Kesling would say. HUGE turn around. A good/great QB does not throw a pick 6 in that situation. My hope is Bailey will be a much better QB than JG...who is NOT an SEC QB talent wise.

JG is a liability. He's a MAC conference level guy at best. HB looks like a legit SEC recruit from what I've seen and read. One note on the onside kick. We could've just as easily kicked it away and held them on defense. There was like 4:32 left when we did that....so in no way did it "win us the game". It was just a good play we made on special teams. Back to the QB. We got a fantastic return past the 50 yard line...and THEN JG throws a pick 6. "What a turn of events" as Kesling would say. HUGE turn around. A good/great QB does not throw a pick 6 in that situation. My hope is Bailey will be a much better QB than JG...who is NOT an SEC QB talent wise.
Every QB that has ever played has thrown that exact same pic six. It was a terrible play at a bad time that ended up having no bearing on the outcome of the game.

From last year to this, I've seen measurable progress along the defensive line, linebackers and backfield. The same is true with our O-line, receivers and running backs. For the team as a whole, the Vols are improving and moving forward. The one one position where I've not seen progress is at quarterback. From last year to this, we're still holding the same discussions. Guarantano is a wonderful young man, a true VFL. How can you not admire and like that kid? But, as a quarterback, he's not a difference maker. If the Vols hope to step up to the next level, they must find a way to ignite the offense. That means significantly stepping up the quality of play at the quarterback position.
How many teams in the SEC and across the country have a difference maker at QB? You guys act like good QBs capable of playing great every time out are a dime a dozen.

"Are we just a QB away from being good?"

The answer is yes.

JG keeps stumbling long before he turns the corner. I had hoped that the JG that had a 400+ yard game earlier this year would show up last night, but didn’t. Unfortunately he will be back next season. I had even posted on here that a second year under Chaney could miraculously change him to a Super QB. He can’t get over throwing late and inaccurately and I doubt he ever will. I sincerely hope his college degree supports him in his future and puts food on his table because his football abilities will not.

Go VOLS

Reactions: tbh and jacvols
Yep, including a very realistic shot of pulling off a program changing upset at #1 Alabama (at the time). Instead, because of his inexplicably poor judgment and play, it looks like a blowout loss on paper and the losing streak to Bama was extended.
The 3rd down roughing the passer penalty on Taylor is what upset our chances of beating Alabama, not the JG mishap. That one terrible call changed the whole 2nd half.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
We are more than a QB away from being good, we are a few quality d-linemen away. Especially an edge rusher.

And a couple of explosive WRs (those capable of catching the 15 yd pass and running 60 yds by everyone). See LSU, Clemson and Bama for examples.

Calloway & Jennings had big years but the big plays were them going up and catching the ball in a crowd. Tennessee needs a couple WRs with speed to take the safeties out of the box and play deeper. Tennessee may have them in this recruiting class.

If so, would the Wake QB be an upgrade? I would love for Bailey to be able to redshirt next season.

I don’t know that any of our QB’s who played this year are truly capable of playing at this level.

I’d trade any of our current QB’s for Indiana’s in a heart beat.
No. That is the biggest missing piece but UT is still thin in numbers, talent, and development almost across the board.

Maurer is a Fr. Shrout is a RS Fr. Both have potential. Both should be much better by August. I will be happy if HB is the savior some think he is.

JG seems to be range bound. He may have a few good games but the rule is he processes too slow. The announcer said he had to "see" it rather than anticipating it. That is a huge and crippling limitation.

I had hope after USCe, UK, and Mizzou that he'd turned the corner. Those hopes were shaken by his Vandy performance. They were pretty much snuffed out by the IU game. If he remains the starter will he have a good game once in a while or maybe a couple in a row? Yes. The problem is he slumps back into the guy we saw vs BYU, UF, GSU, and IU. You can't count on him to be consistently good anywhere but the practice field.

That first set of downs when we got to the six yard line was mind boggling. I was looking to see if Butch was back. I thought we could've tried to run it on first and second down and if unsuccessful throw from there.
Didn't CJP say in his introduction presser that there would be no 4 pass plays and out inside the 10 under his watch? WTF coach, RUN the damn ball.

I don't understand the allure of wanting an elite QB to redshirt. If HB comes in and wins the job he will start as a FR SO JR and go pro....that's 3 years of him starting. If he redshirts he sits FR year, plays RSFR and RSSO years then goes Pro....that's 2 years of him starting....

TLDR version is 3>2
Totally agree. Blows my mind how many times I’ve seen someone saying “I hope our highest potential QB we’ve had in years comes in and sets a year “
Everyone on here should be hoping he starts day 1 and every game until he goes pro

C’mon BIG BOY...GET HERE!

Screen_Shot_2019_12_20_at_8.35.10_AM.0.png

The key to HB becoming the spark to a 10-2 SEC East championship run (because that's what we mean by "good," right? champsionship runs) next season is right in this photo. Look just there, between his two ears, hidden under the hair. That brain.

He reports to UT this month. He's a freshman in college, away from home for the first time. Can he (a) adjust to the new environment and self-responsibility, (b) master his freshman classes well enough to stay out of academic trouble, and still (c) live in the QB room and film room about 20 hours per day, every single day between now and fall camp (taking out enough time for the weight room and physical part of spring camp) so that he understands Chaney's offense, memorizes dozens or scores of plays for all 11 players on the field, can read SEC defenses in real time, adjust to the speed of the game by having an innate understanding of all the confusion going around him, and still take advantage of his physical talents at a high level?

Because that's what it's gonna take.

There aren't a lot of Peyton Mannings out there, who can come in as a true freshman and adjust that well, that quickly. I hope, like many here, that Harrison is able to do all this. But don't be too surprised if he can't. It's a lot to ask.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka and AM64
JG has had his moments good and bad, but hes way too inconsistent for a 4th year guy.

But he is improving per his QB rating, which is the number 1 baseline of a QB being good or bad.
With just a few mins left in the 4th quarter our offense had either set up or gave up as many points as it had scored on 2 picks.

With just a few mins left in the 4th quarter our offense had either set up or gave up as many points as it had scored on 2 picks.

But that doesn't matter. QB rating for the season is the biggest determinator for QB being good.

If so, would the Wake QB be an upgrade? I would love for Bailey to be able to redshirt next season.

I don’t know that any of our QB’s who played this year are truly capable of playing at this level.

I’d trade any of our current QB’s for Indiana’s in a heart beat.
One thing for sure is we are a QB away from going stark-raving insane. Last night was a heart-wrenching 3 hours of seat-grasping anxiety that lent itself to every possible emotion ranging from rage and terror to euphoric joy.

And yes, that IU QB was very steady. He evaded pressure like a pro at times when I thought sure we had him hemmed in for a sack and he wove his way through and out of trouble. The guy was wild-eyed but maintained his composure and only had the 1 TO/int. He performed like a winner, but our team found the heroics to overcome almost certain defeat in that final 5 minutes, both on offense and defense.

It was gut-wrenching ordeal to live through, but the Kentucky and Mizzou games were too. CJP has said he was opening up the QB competition again this spring and I trust he is sincere. They badly need stability and consistency at this position. Give Bailey a fair chance, give Jimmy Holiday a look, find somebody in the transfer portal, send the current QB reserves to QB Rehab intervention. A steady QB is indispensible.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64
Were trending in the right direction. Play calling at times is also a concern. Quicker in game adjustments are needed imo and thats on coaching. Recruiting could also be better.

Reactions: k-town_king
You guys...
I Don't know who "You guys" are, but we've enjoyed a history of difference making quarterbacks playing here. The first one I recall watching was Dewey Warren and through the decades we've had a great many quality QB's come through UT. Your expectations for quarterback play may be lowered, but mine aren't.

And a couple of explosive WRs (those capable of catching the 15 yd pass and running 60 yds by everyone). See LSU, Clemson and Bama for examples.

Calloway & Jennings had big years but the big plays were them going up and catching the ball in a crowd. Tennessee needs a couple WRs with speed to take the safeties out of the box and play deeper. Tennessee may have them in this recruiting class.
They had to catch in a crowd because no one can f***ing hit them in stride with a pass. Sad

Reactions: Tnslim1 and AM64
No. That is the biggest missing piece but UT is still thin in numbers, talent, and development almost across the board.

Maurer is a Fr. Shrout is a RS Fr. Both have potential. Both should be much better by August. I will be happy if HB is the savior some think he is.

JG seems to be range bound. He may have a few good games but the rule is he processes too slow. The announcer said he had to "see" it rather than anticipating it. That is a huge and crippling limitation.

I had hope after USCe, UK, and Mizzou that he'd turned the corner. Those hopes were shaken by his Vandy performance. They were pretty much snuffed out by the IU game. If he remains the starter will he have a good game once in a while or maybe a couple in a row? Yes. The problem is he slumps back into the guy we saw vs BYU, UF, GSU, and IU. You can't count on him to be consistently good anywhere but the practice field.

Mizzou game was fool's gold. We had a 400 yard passer and three 100 yard receivers and only managed 24 points..... In what world does that happen?

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh and sjt18
Serious question here. What’s this team’s record with Josh Dobbs as QB? Call me crazy but I think we take down Bama in that game and give Florida a run for their money. People point to the blowout losses but we were coming in after dropping games to BYU and Ga State. What’s the mindset if we’re undefeated vs Florida?

That first set of downs when we got to the six yard line was mind boggling. I was looking to see if Butch was back. I thought we could've tried to run it on first and second down and if unsuccessful throw from there.

So true. JG looked like the QB in the first game of the season too.

VN Store

Back