'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

meh.

he definitely dug us out of some holes.

problem is, he was responsible for digging some of them in the first place.

agree on the defense, that was the biggest reason for the turnaround. defense had to be basically great to compensate for the offensive woes.

at the end of the day, you credit that team for not turning their back on each other and playing the blame game. would have been easy to pile on JG. would have been easy to pile on the defense after the first two games. they kept picking him, and each other, up...and he, JG, kept fighting and would up having like 4 redepmtion stories in one season lol.
All I read and all you have to read.

All I read and all you have to read.
sure, if all you want is to push YOUR point of view.

as per usual, there's more to the story than just one hot take.

JG was not good. no one is going to tell you that.

but to say he didn't have a hand in getting the ship righted would be just as wrong as to say he didn't have a hand in putting it in harm's way to begin with.

sure, if all you want is to push YOUR point of view.

as per usual, there's more to the story than just one hot take.

JG was not good. no one is going to tell you that.

but to say he didn't have a hand in getting the ship righted would be just as wrong as to say he didn't have a hand in putting it in harm's way to begin with.
My point of view is reality. He had a hand in getting the ship righted because we didn’t have anyone else capable. He was the QB when we won 5-6 in a row but giving him a lot of credit for the streak is like giving the backup O lineman that was also in the games a lot of credit too. He is what he is. Not an SEC talent. What he did on his BEST days is just taken for granted on teams with an average SEC QB.

Reactions: DixieVol
My point of view is reality. He had a hand in getting the ship righted because we didn’t have anyone else capable. He was the QB when we won 5-6 in a row but giving him a lot of credit for the streak is like giving the backup O lineman that was also in the games a lot of credit too. He is what he is. Not an SEC talent. What he did on his BEST days is just taken for granted on teams with an average SEC QB.

I think you’re focusing so heavily on the bad of JG. No one is saying he’s awesome, but he’s not terribly incapable. The stats bear that out.

For example, he actually had the 4th best QBR in the SEC this season. That’s better than Jake Fromm. Not that Fromm is the greatest ever, but I’m assuming you at least include UGA in the teams that have an average SEC QB.

I think you’re focusing so heavily on the bad of JG. No one is saying he’s awesome, but he’s not terribly incapable. The stats bear that out.

For example, he actually had the 4th best QBR in the SEC this season. That’s better than Jake Fromm. Not that Fromm is the greatest ever, but I’m assuming you at least include UGA in the teams that have an average SEC QB.
eh. stats lie.

JG isn't "good" in any way shape or form.

but if you're going to bash him, you gotta give credit.

he's been deserving of both this year....that's at least fair.

i take issue with the notion that he's just complete garbage and hasn't done anything this year.

that's just not true. he's had to create his own redemption stories this year. and while he's never going to be a great QB, he should be respected for what he's done to help this team. he could have gone in sooo many other directions that didn't include being a great team mate, and contributor to this team's turn around.

and we know what that looks like a la all the attrition from those ballyhooed classes a few years ago. lot's of "me" in those classes.

JG was definitely in it for the team. i respect that.

eh. stats lie.

JG isn't "good" in any way shape or form.

but if you're going to bash him, you gotta give credit.

he's been deserving of both this year....that's at least fair.

i take issue with the notion that he's just complete garbage and hasn't done anything this year.

that's just not true. he's had to create his own redemption stories this year. and while he's never going to be a great QB, he should be respected for what he's done to help this team. he could have gone in sooo many other directions that didn't include being a great team mate, and contributor to this team's turn around.

and we know what that looks like a la all the attrition from those ballyhooed classes a few years ago. lot's of "me" in those classes.

JG was definitely in it for the team. i respect that.

Agree with all that. Understand stats aren’t everything. Well aware that JG isn’t good. Just saying that he’s not as horrible as GVol makes him out to be. JG has the incredible ability to make mistakes at the absolute worst times. And when he plays bad, he plays BAD. His floor is really really low. Painfully obvious a QB is what this team needs most.

This is my pet peeve that irritates me in the JG debate on here! Someone always puts up some meaningless stats. The ONLY stat that I care about is POINTS on the board!!
I don’t care if he goes 10 for 10 on a drive from the 2 yard line to the other 15 yard line.
Then he is going to throw a little high, late, behind, low, or something and miss on a TD and we settle for 3.
Way to many games putting up way less points than we should for me to care about any of his other “stats”

Agree with all that. Understand stats aren’t everything. Well aware that JG isn’t good. Just saying that he’s not as horrible as GVol makes him out to be. JG has the incredible ability to make mistakes at the absolute worst times. And when he plays bad, he plays BAD. His floor is really really low. Painfully obvious a QB is what this team needs most.
I never made him out to be horrible. He is just not very good most of the time. He is what he is

This is my pet peeve that irritates me in the JG debate on here! Someone always puts up some meaningless stats. The ONLY stat that I care about is POINTS on the board!!
I don’t care if he goes 10 for 10 on a drive from the 2 yard line to the other 15 yard line.
Then he is going to throw a little high, late, behind, low, or something and miss on a TD and we settle for 3.
Way to many games putting up way less points than we should for me to care about any of his other “stats”

JG frustrates me to no end, I just wanted to point out something semi positive.

But I’m of the belief HB is starting next season. And I welcome that.

Reactions: DixieVol
JG has trouble finding the balance of trusting the route vs seeing it. Yr 2 in system has a good chance of helping that. Early in yr I think we gave him too much responsibility. He has trouble accepting the check down. He always wants the big play when as we saw with the gray checkdowns late those can be successful too. Some of the new playmakers may help since they can take short routes to the house vs the jump balls we had to rely on so much. I’m pulling for him because he tries so hard but it’s tough to watch at times. I also know he hasn’t had best circumstances wasting first two years without a legit QB coach and then having Four offenses in four years.

It would, indeed, be very interesting to see, if it were possible, what Guarantano’s QBR is between the 20s and, then, in the red zone. I have a feeling that they would be starkly different. Guarantano’s performance vs. Missouri clearly demonstrated that, yes, he can play well vs. decent to good SEC defenses, but it isn’t something you can count on consistently.

Our red zone efficiency, as they flashed the stat last night, was atrocious this season and accounts significantly for why we struggle to put points, particularly touchdowns, on the board. Last night we moved the ball well in the first half, accounting for just over 200 yards I believe, but it generated only six points. Had we been able to stick the ball in the endzone after those long, time-consuming drives, we could have put the game all but out-of-reach at halftime.

To everyone already anxious to know who will start... don't plan on knowing until late August. If it happens to be HB... you could be looking at a QB room going from 6 to 2 over the summer if they announce it.

IMHO, if they don't say JG out of spring then that's a really bad sign for him.

It would, indeed, be very interesting to see, if it were possible, what Guarantano’s QBR is between the 20s and, then, in the red zone. I have a feeling that they would be starkly different. Guarantano’s performance vs. Missouri clearly demonstrated that, yes, he can play well vs. decent to good SEC defenses, but it isn’t something you can count on consistently.

Our red zone efficiency, as they flashed the stat last night, was atrocious this season and accounts significantly for why we struggle to put points, particularly touchdowns, on the board. Last night we moved the ball well in the first half, accounting for just over 200 yards I believe, but it generated only six points. Had we been able to stick the ball in the endzone after those long, time-consuming drives, we could have put the game all but out-of-reach at halftime.
yep. 1st on the list to fix is red zone efficiency. gotta be.

when we went down and didn't get a TD in the 1st qtr, i commented to myself that it just wouldn't be a Tennessee game if we didn't leave at least 10 points on the field.

we were, and have been, awful in the red zone all year. i'm amazed we won as many games as we did given how bad we were.

To everyone already anxious to know who will start... don't plan on knowing until late August. If it happens to be HB... you could be looking at a QB room going from 6 to 2 over the summer if they announce it.

Can’t wait til Spring Game. That offers a nice window.

Reactions: StoVol

i won't be surprised if they go thru that 1st game w/out naming a "stater".

of course, there's a part of me that hopes someone just stands out and takes off, and leaves no doubt............

i still think the biggest problem with that is the fact that JG apparently is an all world practice player....but again, that should push everone else to be better.

Don’t expect anything until August either. If after spring we have transfers and nothing really has been said then I figure it’s the others have seen Bailey up close on the field beside them and realize he is on another level.

Maurer is also a very good runner. We so need that tool back there.
Wish they ran him more when in last night. Get him in zone reads and RPOs. Let him use his strengths versus simply a drop back passer. Did a few plays but should have been more.

Pruitt's the type to mislead an opponent, (OU, in this case), right up to gameday if possible.

I just don't think HB will be the starter next year. I think it will be either JG or Hill. I would lean toward JG simply because he has the potential for excellent play, even though it is Jekyl and Hyde.

If I were coaching (and I am probably the best couch coach in America) I would lean toward starting Hill (assuming he is an avg. qb) and bring JG in if Hill wasn't producing. JMO

Reactions: irish1485

I admire how JG has endured the coaching for his failures as well as hanging in there and being a team player--and was willing to welcome him back for next season.
However, after his dismal performance last night after having 3-4 weeks off--him being here in the Spring would be bad news for next year--IMO

I'm just done with the inconsistencies at the QB position.
It's not like JG hasn't had his fair number of opportunities to prove himself...and yet still he can't hit open receivers in the red zone and we're 111th in scoring TDs in the red zone.

Just cannot tolerate that poor red zone play from your starting QB....

Thanks, JG, but maybe you could serve another team in a lesser conference.

I just don't think HB will be the starter next year. I think it will be either JG or Hill. I would lean toward JG simply because he has the potential for excellent play, even though it is Jekyl and Hyde.

If I were coaching (and I am probably the best couch coach in America) I would lean toward starting Hill (assuming he is an avg. qb) and bring JG in if Hill wasn't producing. JMO
How much did you watch HB the last year? If you did you should realize he has the talent and is ready right now to start.

Reactions: StoVol

Again, JG is tough as nails and is a VFL in my book.

That said, he cannot lead a receiver on anything over 15 yards. His long passes look like punts, with our receiver having to pull up and out jump the DB about 95% of the time. His fades are usually overthrown, and any complex crossing patterns are usually thrown a second too late. He isn’t mobile. He is just beginning to be able to read a blitz, but still requires a 2 TE package to avoid being killed.

Most of the time, his completions are a result of our receivers knowing how his throw will suck, and adjusting accordingly.

He’s just not a very good QB.

I admire how JG has endured the coaching for his failures as well as hanging in there and being a team player--and was willing to welcome him back for next season.
However, after his dismal performance last night after having 3-4 weeks off--him being here in the Spring would be bad news for next year--IMO

I'm just done with the inconsistencies at the QB position.
It's not like JG hasn't had his fair number of opportunities to prove himself...and yet still he can't hit open receivers in the red zone and we're 111th in scoring TDs in the red zone.

Just cannot tolerate that poor red zone play from your starting QB....

Thanks, JG, but maybe you could serve another team in a lesser conference.

I agree. JG just cannot be trusted. The worst thing possible would be for him to come in, look GREAT during spring and fall camps, win the starting job, and then mentally fall apart again like he did this year.

VN Store

Back