Stability of staff.

We will have turnover. Wheels are already in motion.

I'd like to call B.S. on your post but the fact is, more likely than not, you're right. That aside, I'd also like to believe the staff sees the program headed toward the stratosphere in no small part due to their teamwork. Knowing if they bring the program even close to championship level competence, their compensation will be quite massive. And that the UT will do what's necessary to never again allow the program to sink to the level it has. Finally, being anywhere else is simply not an option.

I have a dream, a fantasy
To help me through reality
And my destination makes it worth the while

Pushing through the darkness still another mile

Last edited:
I feel Pruitt selected his staff well when he got here. But he changed both coordinators this year, so it is not all his "original" hires. Turnover happens when you do extremely well. Other schools fire staffs every year, and offers are made. Since the bowl game hasn't been played yet, if any of our current staff has offers, it is hush hush for now.

As to Fulmer's decline, it was more a decline in recruiting, and not having Cutcliffe to handle the offense. Even greater, IMO, was a poor focus on discipline. He had a rash of player's arrested, and his way of dealing with it, per an interview I heard at the time was, "The players have my phone number." All that put together, and the failure of the Dave Clawson offense after Cut left for Duke, led to Fulmer being fired. And the only person I have heard blame a lack of stability of the staff? That is Fulmer himself.

Edit: I tried to link a 2008 article from bleacher report, but after 2 attempts, it fails to load. Guess that article is not allowed to be posted. So google Phil Fulmer fired. It will show up.

Was this it?

Vols' Fulmer fired after 17 years

I feel Pruitt selected his staff well when he got here. But he changed both coordinators this year, so it is not all his "original" hires. Turnover happens when you do extremely well. Other schools fire staffs every year, and offers are made. Since the bowl game hasn't been played yet, if any of our current staff has offers, it is hush hush for now.

As to Fulmer's decline, it was more a decline in recruiting, and not having Cutcliffe to handle the offense. Even greater, IMO, was a poor focus on discipline. He had a rash of player's arrested, and his way of dealing with it, per an interview I heard at the time was, "The players have my phone number." All that put together, and the failure of the Dave Clawson offense after Cut left for Duke, led to Fulmer being fired. And the only person I have heard blame a lack of stability of the staff? That is Fulmer himself.

Edit: I tried to link a 2008 article from bleacher report, but after 2 attempts, it fails to load. Guess that article is not allowed to be posted. So google Phil Fulmer fired. It will show up.
He made horrible decisions on coordinators. He needed mature, experienced signal callers to help shorten his learning curve. He would have been wise to hire a couple of guys with HC experience.

I think Helton is/was better than we think. He did more with JG than Chaney.

He made horrible decisions on coordinators. He needed mature, experienced signal callers to help shorten his learning curve. He would have been wise to hire a couple of guys with HC experience.

Missed the 400+ yard passing game Helton called...and the 3 additional wins.

UPDATE: The days of Tennessee out-recruiting Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida are over. We out-recruited everyone we should have out-recruited (except maybe Auburn). The sooner people accept this, the better. They'll always sign higher ranked classes than us, but we can close the gap with player development and staff continuity.
If we win games we will out recruit them. Don’t act like Alabama is in a better location geographically. People go because of Saban.

We need more recruiters. Need to tell Rocker, Wienke and Rumph to hit the bricks. Position coaches are a dime a dozen. You can find good ones pretty much anywhere. You need lights out recruiters. Bama/UGA/LSU all have 2-3 Neidermeyer type recruiters on staff.
We just signed a damn good front 7 class, which might still add Hardy and/or another guy. And the development has been excellent. I won’t be holding the door open for either of them to go.

Reactions: vols4evah

WTF I think everyone has seen that JG can only play as good as he will let himself play. Like he mentally gets in his on way. Chaney tried to keep JG from doing to much when he was about to implode, unlike when Helton would keep calling plays he knew JG couldn't complete at the time.

Reactions: beamerman
Always is a long time, brother, and I've lived long enough to know nothing is forever. If our coaches hold the same the loser mentality you're selling, we need new coaches.
Never surrender. I believe there will be some options for players after Saban and after players see Smart is not getting over the hump. Just a few here and there that might make a difference. Bama after Saban will be interesting, Ga in the next season or two after they keep choking a bone in big games will be also.

Reactions: LexVol71
We just signed a damn good front 7 class, which might still add Hardy and/or another guy. And the development has been excellent. I won’t be holding the door open for either of them to go.
We need more recruiters. Need to tell Rocker, Wienke and Rumph to hit the bricks. Position coaches are a dime a dozen. You can find good ones pretty much anywhere. You need lights out recruiters. Bama/UGA/LSU all have 2-3 Neidermeyer type recruiters on staff.
Ya can't fix stupid Billy..........some people just can't see the forest for the trees!!!!

No offense, but you have lost your friggin mind. I do however think our fans sell Helton short, but you have maybe have overcorrected just a bit.

No offense, but you have lost your friggin mind. I do however think our fans sell Helton short, but you have maybe have overcorrected just a bit.
I’m speaking of his first year. Pruitt had to replace both coordinators after his first year. He basically didn’t hire a true DC. So, how have I lost my mind? The Chaney hire was a great recovery. It looks like Ansley is going to work out. Pruitt definitely slowed down his rebuild by not hiring experienced coordinators out of the gate.

I’m speaking of his first year. Pruitt had to replace both coordinators after his first year. He basically didn’t hire a true DC. So, how have I lost my mind? The Chaney hire was a great recovery. It looks like Ansley is going to work out. Pruitt definitely slowed down his rebuild by not hiring experienced coordinators out of the gate.

My bad, I should have clarified. I was referring to your statement that Helton did more with JG than Chaney did.

Rocker and Rumph had very little to do with recruiting any of the front 7. Hubbs has said Rocker has trouble relating to recruits and their families more than other coaches. He might be a decent position coach but if that is true about his relationship struggles in recruiting he needs to be let go and we can get Neidermeyer type recruiter to replace he and Rumph as I never hear their names mentioned in recruiting.

What you say can be substantiated by the performance of Bama the last couple of years. Slowly falling back to being a normal top team and not a near pro team. A few years ago they started to lose "key, top" coaches, it is starting to show. Especially on the defensive side. I also think losing Kif hurt more than folks have noticed.

Losing Kif helped more than it hurt, if that small portion of the Bama grapevine was right.

The coordinators he hired were good position coaches that were going to get a shot at coordinator somewhere. But on a team that was recruited to play in another system than he was wanting to play, I agree he needed experience.

Well, I believe they knew Chaney wanted to be back up here. And though JG might have been better off with Helton, I feel Weinke might be better off with all the QBs. And Chaney can concentrate on the offense at large. I couldn't see Chaney demonstrate body mechanic to a QB with that body.

What you say can be substantiated by the performance of Bama the last couple of years. Slowly falling back to being a normal top team and not a near pro team. A few years ago they started to lose "key, top" coaches, it is starting to show. Especially on the defensive side. I also think losing Kif hurt more than folks have noticed.

Tosh, Cristobal, and Pruitt.

Helton did more with JG than Chaney? Are you auditioning for a stand up gig ?

UPDATE: The days of Tennessee out-recruiting Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida are over. We out-recruited everyone we should have out-recruited (except maybe Auburn). The sooner people accept this, the better. They'll always sign higher ranked classes than us, but we can close the gap with player development and staff continuity.
It is usually a mistake to speak in such absolute terms. Tennessee will have to start consistently winning 10 games again, in order to win head to head recruiting battles with Georgia for their in-state players, which will be necessary to crack the top 5. It's not going to happen in the immediate future, but it is definitely possible.

VN Store

Back