Game Thread: #23/24 TENNESSEE VS. #1/1 STANFORD

I know. I guess I just didn’t realize how bad off we have actually become.

Without a doubt, this is a rebuilding situation. When you let things go until a team is on the ebb of no return, this is the end result. Our mojo has went and gone. Holly recruited some five stars, but were these athletes the kind of players that we needed to be a top 10 team? Or, was the talent there and we were clueless as to what it took to make it work? In reality, it was probably both and then some. There is no quick fix to the situation, but it can be fixed. KJH, and her staff, have got to come up with a plan and then they must ask themselves, do we have the players for our plan to work? It is great that she wants to keep the players’ legs fresh, after all it worked at Mo State. However, it may be difficult to replicate what worked at Mo State. She must sit down and map out how she got it to work. Then she must ask herself, do I have the players to accomplish my goals and objectives? She did not really recruit most of her players, and with this group, it might be hard to accomplish her mission. If the answer is no, then she and her staff must figure out what will work with what they have. If you are one of those posters who thought it was going to be easy by firing Holy and selecting another coach, it will not. There is a lot of work ahead.

Very well said. And it may come down to the Holly recruits having to be phased out or graduated out if the staffs goals can’t be accomplished with them. It’s obvious that there are several on the team that may not be able to help the staff get to where they want the program to be. Will take 3-4 yrs.

well, that was embarrassing --- can a coach teach mental toughness, or does it have to be recruited?

Absolutely.
And the coach has to
More than that,
they have to be mentally tough,
as team do take on the personality of its coach(es)

I really don’t see Jaz as the problem. I think she’s fairly consistent. She needs to take care of the ball more and get more confident, but that will take time. If she gets comfortable knocking down 10 to 12 ft consistently she will be super special.

Jaz needs a shooting coach that will get her to re-create her shot from scratch...

Without a doubt, this is a rebuilding situation. When you let things go until a team is on the ebb of no return, this is the end result. Our mojo has went and gone. Holly recruited some five stars, but were these athletes the kind of players that we needed to be a top 10 team? Or, was the talent there and we were clueless as to what it took to make it work? In reality, it was probably both and then some. There is no quick fix to the situation, but it can be fixed. KJH, and her staff, have got to come up with a plan and then they must ask themselves, do we have the players for our plan to work? It is great that she wants to keep the players’ legs fresh, after all it worked at Mo State. However, it may be difficult to replicate what worked at Mo State. She must sit down and map out how she got it to work. Then she must ask herself, do I have the players to accomplish my goals and objectives? She did not really recruit most of her players, and with this group, it might be hard to accomplish her mission. If the answer is no, then she and her staff must figure out what will work with what they have. If you are one of those posters who thought it was going to be easy by firing Holy and selecting another coach, it will not. There is a lot of work ahead.

Multiple MCDAA's does not constitute a rebuilding....Play the top 8, and quit being the coach they like, and start being the coach they refuse to give anything but their best to.

Demand excellence, teach excellence and you'll get excellence

Last edited:
We got beat by the #1 team ! Where is all of the negativity coming from ? I wish we could have played better ... but 25-30% shooting will not beat many teams ! Just saying 🤔

We lost Zaay .... this was a BIG deal ! Especially with a young team depending on any leadership even from a sophomore double digit scorer!
We lost our leading scorer ..... but we got Jordon ! I’ll take that any day or any year ! Anybody can see we will be better off when her Freshman mistakes turn into AA player . JMO

We are going to be alright! But that will come LATER and not sooner!

The major keys ..... Will Rennia come back next year ? We have gotten some steals in recruiting the last few years ! Rae can become a star .... right after she breaks all of the china in the shop .... and slows down from a hurricane to a tropical storm 😁. Key will be a force for us with some experience and weight training. Horston is a legitimate AA in the making! JMO.! KK is finally contributing but could be a force her senior year ? Will our 2020 recruits become more than average players? 2021 RECRUITING!!!! Will we get help from transfers ?
I like this team .... lots to be excited about ... With Zaay coming back next year , making our sophomore class ( Key, Jordon , Saunders , Rennie) even stronger and if 2021 class comes in strong? I like our potential in the future! 🙏

7 assists for the game, makes you wonder if people were just standing around with no ball movement.

27.8% FG...maybe they weren't standing around...just couldn't make a basket

Davis 5/20 FG made. I wish she'd spend some time with Kylee Shook and change her form on the 3.

I still don't understand why these 6'2" guards aren't posting up.

7 assists for the game, makes you wonder if people were just standing around with no ball movement.

Davis 5/20 FG made. I wish she'd spend some time with Kylee Shook and change her form on the 3.

Tonight I am going to re-watch the first half...figure out what/when/why Q1 was radically different from Q234

You know we've fallen off the map when we lose by 27 points to ANYONE and the question "where is all the negativity coming from?" is asked. I mean, Stanford is good but they shouldn't be beating us by 27 points. We are way quicker and more athletic than they are. In terms of high school accolades, Stanford's roster isn't that special. It shows how good of a coach Tara is because her team is nowhere near as talented as some other top rosters, but we shouldn't be losing to 27 points and barely cracking 50 to anyone given our roster. We just shouldn't be.

Sugarcoat it all you want, but this team may well be the first team in LV history to not make the tournament. SEC season is going to be brutal and we have zero big OOC wins. ND is absolute trash this year so don't even bring them up. I don't see where wins are going to come to get our RPI high enough to get into the tournament.

It also startles me that our recruiting isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. I just don't see where help will come from down the road.

short answer? they have no endurance. Any more than 3 trips up and down the court and they are dragging behind. why 18 -22 yo's can't run all day is a mystery to me.

Reactions: aretha57

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Based on the last few years and this season to date many fans could analyze the offense's futility in last night's game having never seen, heard about nor read about it. Same issues that have plagued the LVs forever it seems.

Tonight I am going to re-watch the first half...figure out what/when/why Q1 was radically different from Q234

The second quarter was actually our best quarter. We were only outscored 14-12. Holding Stanford to 14 in a quarter is commendable. We need to find out what was working in the second quarter and why it wasn’t replicated in 1,3,4.

You know we've fallen off the map when we lose by 27 points to ANYONE and the question "where is all the negativity coming from?" is asked. I mean, Stanford is good but they shouldn't be beating us by 27 points. We are way quicker and more athletic than they are. In terms of high school accolades, Stanford's roster isn't that special. It shows how good of a coach Tara is because her team is nowhere near as talented as some other top rosters, but we shouldn't be losing to 27 points and barely cracking 50 to anyone given our roster. We just shouldn't be.

Sugarcoat it all you want, but this team may well be the first team in LV history to not make the tournament. SEC season is going to be brutal and we have zero big OOC wins. ND is absolute trash this year so don't even bring them up. I don't see where wins are going to come to get our RPI high enough to get into the tournament.

It also startles me that our recruiting isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. I just don't see where help will come from down the road.

I don’t think we’re off the map. In fact, I’m planning to keep watching. Yep, I still see a lot of growth for this team. And a lot of games still to be played.
I agree that Coach Vanderveer is a very good coach, and that despite this, we shouldn’t have lost by 27. But, Stanford isn’t void of talent. In fact, I think they have the number one rated player from last year’s class. They also have four seasoned Seniors! And, NO, we are not “way quicker and more athletic than they are.” They appeared not only quicker, but stronger in the paint. Besides, any lack of quickness can be made up for with crisp, smart passing (right Coach Jumper?), and, nobody does that better than Stanford.
We didn’t shoot well, or cover shooters well. If we make five more shots (even two-pointers), they miss five (which they probably would have, against better perimeter defense), and it’s a whole new ball game!
Cheer up, folks. Santa Clause is on his way!

Frankly, we have no idea how bright (or not) our Lady Vols are. I like to think we have more smart kids on the team than not, but I’m afraid that there HAVE, over the years, been a few who may not have been the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. Great athletes and super sweet human beings? Heck yeah! But maybe a little short of being intellectually impressive? Yeah... there have been a few.

Stanford has an low acceptance rate of 4.7, which means only the best students in the world can go there. To even be eligible to receive an offer from Stanford, students have to jump through so many hoops as they weed out the riff-raff that most don’t even want to go to all the trouble. And those who do have to walk in there with near-perfect GPAs and ACT/SAT scores that leave zero doubt as to whether or not they are bright.

I love the University of Tennessee more than any other on this planet. But I don’t try to kid myself into believing that every one of the players (including this year’s squad) who’ve worn the orange are brainiacs. Many, many Lady Vols HAVE been brainiacs, of course! But others? Not so much. And that’s okay!
This, and your previous post, coming from someone who is so offended and sensitive to complimentary posts for Kellie’s appearance, because you consider them as criticism of the previous Coach, whom no one should criticize in any way because it upsets you.

Yet, in your enthusiastic effort to praise Stanford’s team and Coaches and school, you prose on to insult the intelligence of not only our current team and Coaches, but also past Lady Vol teams, and one can assume future Lady Vols as well.

Btw, before posting such when we play Vanderbilt, they send their football players to take courses at Belmont, probably their basketball players, too. It’s possible Stanford has their players in a special program as well.

That really doesn’t matter. Just wonder why your sensitivity disappeared for our Lady Vol players and Coaches. Disappointing.

Nobody expected a win, but 27 point beatdowns in this program are unacceptable.

This, especially after week to prepare. No one is arguing Stanford isn't the better team, but they aren't the juggernaut Tennessee made them look like last night. Not a good look for Kellie...

Reactions: Memvol44
Absolutely.
And the coach has to
More than that,
they have to be mentally tough,
as team do take on the personality of its coach(es)

Jaz needs a shooting coach that will get her to re-create her shot from scratch...

Multiple MCDAA's does not constitute a rebuilding....Play the top 8, and quit being the coach they like, and start being the coach they refuse to give anything but their best to.

Demand excellence, teach excellence and you'll get excellence
Who the heck are the top 8? I know Davis but flip a coin after that!

I don’t think we’re off the map. In fact, I’m planning to keep watching. Yep, I still see a lot of growth for this team. And a lot of games still to be played.
I agree that Coach Vanderveer is a very good coach, and that despite this, we shouldn’t have lost by 27. But, Stanford isn’t void of talent. In fact, I think they have the number one rated player from last year’s class. They also have four seasoned Seniors! And, NO, we are not “way quicker and more athletic than they are.” They appeared not only quicker, but stronger in the paint. Besides, any lack of quickness can be made up for with crisp, smart passing (right Coach Jumper?), and, nobody does that better than Stanford.
We didn’t shoot well, or cover shooters well. If we make five more shots (even two-pointers), they miss five (which they probably would have, against better perimeter defense), and it’s a whole new ball game!
Cheer up, folks. Santa Clause is on his way!
We are on the map the cupcakes use. Play us we will eat you alive.

Q1 12-12 tie game, 4:46 to play...Jazmine has the ball and KK is posting on the left low block...KK Initially gives a high target (hand) and then gives a low target, Jazmine passes to the original high target...turnover...They go 19 scoreless possessions from there endure an 10-0 run with no stoppage.

During that run 2:23 Q1 to play, after Stanford caps the 8 pt run,,Jazmine immediately looks to the bench..
She expected one right then, I expected one one right then
Her shoulders drop...
No timeout...
The offense stagnates from that moment
In subs McCoy (for offense??)
The run ups to 10 end of Q1 and spills into the start of Q2
It ends up a 14-3 run before a stoppage

When Jazmine looked to the bench was exactly when I feel the timeout should have been taken....it is also the moment the offense stagnated

Last edited:
This, and your previous post, coming from someone who is so offended and sensitive to complimentary posts for Kellie’s appearance, because you consider them as criticism of the previous Coach, whom no one should criticize in any way because it upsets you.

Yet, in your enthusiastic effort to praise Stanford’s team and Coaches and school, you prose on to insult the intelligence of not only our current team and Coaches, but also past Lady Vol teams, and one can assume future Lady Vols as well.

Btw, before posting such when we play Vanderbilt, they send their football players to take courses at Belmont, probably their basketball players, too. It’s possible Stanford has their players in a special program as well.

That really doesn’t matter. Just wonder why your sensitivity disappeared for our Lady Vol players and Coaches. Disappointing.

Maybe if I'd mentioned any specific names I could see how my post would make you upset. But I didn't. I wouldn't, EVER, do such a thing. Just making a general, non-specific statement suggesting that Stanford students are pretty much guaranteed to be above-average intelligence and that Tennessee students may, or may NOT be, shouldn't be much of a shocker to anyone.

But if it will make you feel better, I apologize to any and all totally unnamed Tennessee students/athletes whom I offended by suggesting that there may or may not be some Tennessee student-athletes who are not as bright as the typical Stanford student-athlete.

P.S.
Forbes compiled a list of 600 people — 30 in each of 20 industries — who it described as “the brashest entrepreneurs across the United States and Canada”, “trailblazers”, “bold risk-takers” and “innovators” “shaking up some of the world’s stodgiest industries”. Forbes then listed the schools that produced the most members on the 30 Under 30 list, which was topped by Stanford.

The Daily Beast's college rankings take into account nine factors, with academics, future earnings, and affordability weighted most heavily. The other criteria include graduation rates, diversity, athletics, nightlife, activities, and campus quality. Data comes from The National Center for Education Statistics, as well as private organizations like PayScale, for salary data, and Niche, for student opinions. The Daily Beast's college rankings report the top 250 scoring schools, with Stanford University at the top, followed by Harvard University, Yale University, MIT, and Columbia University.[5]

University College ranking
Stanford University 1
Harvard College 2
Yale University 3
MIT 4
Columbia University 5
Princeton University 6
Cornell University 7
University of Pennsylvania 8

University No. of 30 Under 30 members
Stanford University 54
Harvard College 46
MIT 34
University of Pennsylvania 24
University of California at Berkeley 22
NYU 19
Yale University 19
Cornell University15

Don't see Tennessee on these lists, do you?

Last edited:
Frankly, we have no idea how bright (or not) our Lady Vols are. I like to think we have more smart kids on the team than not, but I’m afraid that there HAVE, over the years, been a few who may not have been the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. Great athletes and super sweet human beings? Heck yeah! But maybe a little short of being intellectually impressive? Yeah... there have been a few.

Stanford has an low acceptance rate of 4.7, which means only the best students in the world can go there. To even be eligible to receive an offer from Stanford, students have to jump through so many hoops as they weed out the riff-raff that most don’t even want to go to all the trouble. And those who do have to walk in there with near-perfect GPAs and ACT/SAT scores that leave zero doubt as to whether or not they are bright.

I love the University of Tennessee more than any other on this planet. But I don’t try to kid myself into believing that every one of the players (including this year’s squad) who’ve worn the orange are brainiacs. Many, many Lady Vols HAVE been brainiacs, of course! But others? Not so much. And that’s okay!
I agree. A school that seems to be smarter than most which comes out in their play is Notre Dame. Most years I would rather watch them than about any school because they play as a team, and know what they individually can do, and are to provide in the scheme of things. There are higher requirements to get in the school than some, but it too goes back to what kind of player is recruited, and the Coaches orientation to the game.

Reactions: stlvolsfan

VN Store

Back