Vescovi clip

I remember a specific Memphis game in which he made the Tigers look silly. A lot of those highlights, among many others of him finishing around the rim and in the paint are in this clip.

Ok I could watch Chris Lofton highlights all day! I can’t think of a craftier Vol to play in the last 35yrs. Tony White maybe? I’d love to have seen how great his SR year would’ve been if he hadn’t been battling cancer. What an amazing shooter, teammate, and Vol.

They were poking fun at the NCAA probably
Or referring to him getting our offense and defense down

We really need this kid on the bench as soon as we can get him. James might be the next Magic Johnson, but he's going to need seasoning. He didn't look so great last night. Against SEC competition, I think he's going to struggle for a while. Throw in the freshman wall and it's clear we need Vescovi to be ready to help right away.

I keep hearing this kid mentioned in the same breath as Pistol Pete Maravich. It needs to stop,especially if you were not around to see pIstol play.I watched him in person put up 63 on Vandy who had a pretty decent team.Pete was a phenom.Pete could do things with a BB that no one could do.IMO he is the best individual player ever. The kid we just got Vescovi looks very good,and I'm glad we got him,but he doesn't compare to Pete Maravich.
I saw Pistol Pete play once as well and saw him do things that I thought were impossible. Mears usually had a plan to slow him down but this night he was Pistol Pete. If this kid is half as good we will be great.

I'm torn as to whether he can contribute this year. It seems to me that his role as the QB of the offense and ball distributor will take take time and I don't know if he'll have that time this year. I trust RB will make the right decision here
If he's as good as all that, he will only be here this year so might as well get him on the floor as soon as possible.

Reactions: Dr H Lecter
If he's as good as all that, he will only be here this year so might as well get him on the floor as soon as possible.
This is the only position that makes sense. If he is going to be “that” good, he won’t be here 4 years anyway. Get him some experience this season. He can help this team and give him experience to lead all those newcomers next year. PLAY HIM!

I saw Pistol Pete play once as well and saw him do things that I thought were impossible. Mears usually had a plan to slow him down but this night he was Pistol Pete. If this kid is half as good we will be great.

Pete was raised to do what he did, but so was Mears. I invite you to go check out hls output against UT in his three years at LSU.... been a long time, but for sure I remember Billy Hahn living in his face and holding him to like low 20;s. I had great seats for those games at Stokely and had an additional interest in that as a Bearden alum one of his teammates was also. Wayne Tipton was a heck of a local player who received quite a few wow type passes from Pete during his career. Pete's ball handling and passing were what really set him apart from other great players. What is amazing is that he did what he did with the heart issues that eventually got him way too early in life. But UT showed consistently he could be held to more human numbers. In another quirk of fate, Hahn lived next door to my older sister in the old Golf Range Student apartments and she once acquired a pair of his Converse All Star shoes for me. It was my understanding he only wore shoes for two games. True????

Reactions: beamerman
I'm not convinced that "as all that" equates to one and done but we'll see

Ok I could watch Chris Lofton highlights all day! I can’t think of a craftier Vol to play in the last 35yrs. Tony White maybe? I’d love to have seen how great his SR year would’ve been if he hadn’t been battling cancer. What an amazing shooter, teammate, and Vol.
I would have liked to have seen him take a redshirt year

Pete was raised to do what he did, but so was Mears. I invite you to go check out hls output against UT in his three years at LSU.... been a long time, but for sure I remember Billy Hahn living in his face and holding him to like low 20;s. I had great seats for those games at Stokely and had an additional interest in that as a Bearden alum one of his teammates was also. Wayne Tipton was a heck of a local player who received quite a few wow type passes from Pete during his career. Pete's ball handling and passing were what really set him apart from other great players. What is amazing is that he did what he did with the heart issues that eventually got him way too early in life. But UT showed consistently he could be held to more human numbers. In another quirk of fate, Hahn lived next door to my older sister in the old Golf Range Student apartments and she once acquired a pair of his Converse All Star shoes for me. It was my understanding he only wore shoes for two games. True????
I believe he got 30 once and Rudy Kinard matched it. I don’t think LSU had much anything else except Pete those days. Mears always had something for everyone, especially KY. I watched Glory Road the other night and smiled again when it was mentioned KY lost a game and number one and I knew it was Tn that gave it to them.

Vescovi needs to play and now. Tennessee needs all the help it can get. I will be shocked if he is not playing in the first game he can.

Yes Mear's teams did hold Pete down during those years and Hahn was a big part of it, but so was the fact that Tennessee played a very deliberate brand of offensive basketball under Mears. Possessions were limited and they were very difficult to run on. He did change his offensive style with the arrival of Grunfeld and then King. By the way, it does suck to be old enough to remember this.

Reactions: i2amavol
Yes Mear's teams did hold Pete down during those years and Hahn was a big part of it, but so was the fact that Tennessee played a very deliberate brand of offensive basketball under Mears. Possessions were limited and they were very difficult to run on. He did change his offensive style with the arrival of Grunfeld and then King. By the way, it does suck to be old enough to remember this.

Wasn't Hahn's first name Bobby?? I'm like you, old enough to remember Mears' style of play and it definitely sucks being old enough to remember, just glad I've made it this long.

Reactions: 76vol and Lefteye

I can remember watching Hahn picking Pete up near half court and sticking with him, but cannot figure out how that worked since most of the time we were in a 1-3-1 zone......Box and 1 or triangle and 1 maybe.... I remember those offensive efficiency banners in Stokely too... from a sensory standpoint it was the sound of the ball bouncing on that Tartan floor during those years rather than hardwood, Heck I even remember looking across the court and only seeing some bleachers before the Stokely expansion. I was one lucky young Vol fan back in those days... Age is taking it's toll as names are getting harder to recall, etc... hope this generation of young Vols has good things to remember down the road with these Barnes years.... trending that way... They are a lot alike in many ways... Not too involved with officials, totally involved with players who don't perform per plan. Wish we could dig up the OLD T with the paper to run through during introductions. Warmups are nearly throwbacks to some Mears years.... but no unicycle or strains of Sweet Georgia Brown, but there is time.....

Last edited:
Reactions: LampVol
When you listen to Barnes talk about the point position, it evidently takes some time to "understand what we're trying to do" with our offense.

I'm sure they'd like to have him here and in practice and learning all he can... but unless he's been running a very similar offense, I think his major contribution this season would be in practice, almost like a scout team role, providing a different style to defend against.

Unless I'm missing something this team can't afford to leave an adequate ball handler on the bench right now. My guess is Barnes will try to teach him 1 to 2 offensive concepts in a week the put him on the court. It will be like putting a freshman running back in for specific plays.

Reactions: LibertyVol
My dad was on the mayor's staff, there was a ceremony honoring the 66-67 SEC champs, people milling around after - I'm the only little kid and they put me on the spot, asking me who I most wanted an autograph from. Shy me, I croaked out "Mister Widby." I remember Justus Hendrix Hahn et al cracking up over the "Mr." Heh - one of many faux pas to come...…

People that didn't get to see Pete play in college just aren't able to comprehend how extraordinarily good he was. When I read or hear some try to discount his college performance based on a theory that he was a ball hog, I know they never saw he play. He was far from a ball hog.

Need this guy, if anything for depth. Turner having that nagging shoulder injury sucks, and we have nothing behind him at the point.

I keep hearing this kid mentioned in the same breath as Pistol Pete Maravich. It needs to stop,especially if you were not around to see pIstol play.I watched him in person put up 63 on Vandy who had a pretty decent team.Pete was a phenom.Pete could do things with a BB that no one could do.IMO he is the best individual player ever. The kid we just got Vescovi looks very good,and I'm glad we got him,but he doesn't compare to Pete Maravich.

Vescovi IS Maravich Jr! Springer does not have the vision or handle Vescovi does! That will prove itself true.

VN Store

Back