Pruitt and VOLS took GSU for granted, will Indiana be the same?

I really wish I could borrow Doc's Delorean for a few hours, go back in time and stop GA state from forming a Football Program that way people would quit bringing this **** up trying to make it relevant to every single game.
You talking about old Doc Brown? Doc Brown with the dog named Einstein?

So how in the world do coaches with this much experience not focus on the game at hand?One of the Cardinal rules of competition is that you MUST respect your next opponent, regardless of history or past. So, we are paying these coaches mega bucks, and they're not adhering to this philosophy, which has been proven over and over by huge upset after huge upset?

I don't know. I can only tell you what I think might have happened.

All super-successful people think really highly of themselves. Pruitt, and many of the coaches he brought with him, were hugely successful at every previous stop in their careers. Conference and national titles kind of successful. Multiple titles kind of successful.

And it's not entirely uncommon, when you're that wildly successful, to believe that you can break the formula a little bit, that you're perhaps good enough to go beyond the conventional wisdom in some areas. Like coaching for the decent team two weeks from now, rather than the second-tier team this weekend.

Of course, you're right, it HAS been proven, over and over, that you often don't get away with that. And now Head Coach Pruitt knows it in a way that Coordinator Pruitt maybe never really quite bought.

The silver lining? He won't overlook an easy opener again. That's all but a certainty.

Again, just my personal theory. No way of knowing whether it's right.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
GSU turned out to be a decent team. They are going to a bowl. That is why those early season games, really the first half of the year are SO dangerous. Nobody really knows for sure how good or bad anyone else is, you may have an idea but you don't really know. I know coaches try to explain that to 18-22 year old kids but every year somebody misses the message.

It wasn't so much that they overlooked anyone, it was early in the year and the defense or offense wasn't playing well. Players were still learning, Bituli the leader on defense was out, Thompson was out, offense was atrocious, now still we should've won our 1st 2 games but it took some time for the team on both sides of the ball to gel.

So sick of this being brought up. Neither here nor there and the Vols definitely got better after. Make better threads.

So players admitting they were way too comfortable? Based on what? Seasons past? If so, I hope the early season doses of humility changed the ones who thought they were too comfortable.
I think that's what he's referring to. Being too comfortable in their talent to win them games. Not pushing themselves hard enough.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Truth is that we started flat and while the team improved we didn't beat any quality opponents. Much like IU, we benefitted from some other people on our schedule being awful. We're not much closer to a definitive answer on how far Pruitt can take this team now than we were a year ago. I expect us to win this bowl game handily because my mind is stuck in a time when Vols don't lose to teams like Indiana, but that's my bias. I'm not getting graded or paid for my posts so tifwiw.

Reactions: 08Vol
I feel like the result of the GSU game means they will know not to take them for granted.
Hopefully Georgia State in 2019 was to UT what LA Monroe was to AL in 2007. The team and staff have come together since and the future looks much brighter at this point than early this season. I don’t think UT will overlook anyone going forward. The GA ST was on par with Michigan losing to Appy State and it’s not what happens it’s how we react to circumstances. The culture at UT is headed in the right direction and UT will be feared again very soon. Go Vols!!

Reactions: Evergrenevol
Hopefully Georgia State in 2019 was to UT what LA Monroe was to AL in 2007. The team and staff have come together since and the future looks much brighter at this point than early this season. I don’t think UT will overlook anyone going forward. The GA ST was on par with Michigan losing to Appy State and it’s not what happens it’s how we react to circumstances. The culture at UT is headed in the right direction and UT will be feared again very soon. Go Vols!!
Lloyd Carr left at the end of that season. You predicting something similar?

Reactions: 08Vol
no one commented on the GSU game because no one cared about the GSU game, even the players

This is an Indiana team that isnt that good at all, and we will exploit their weaknesses and our fans will outnumber theirs 7 or 8 to 1....

we will win going away
A little rain on your parade, the fans don't play.

It wasn't so much that they overlooked anyone, it was early in the year and the defense or offense wasn't playing well. Players were still learning, Bituli the leader on defense was out, Thompson was out, offense was atrocious, now still we should've won our 1st 2 games but it took some time for the team on both sides of the ball to gel.
I think by the way the staff was rotating so many players in and out against Georgia State (especially on the offensive line) that they were treating the game like a scrimmage (at least in the 1st half), as if they could afford to experiment a little bit. By the time we realized we were in a dog fight and it was anybody's game... we were turning the ball over and not being fundamentally sound on defense. Georgia State is not horrible but that is still an ugly loss that should have never happened.

I agree with those who are saying that it's past time to forget about it. The team obviously has.

Wow. By this thread, we’ve already put a hurtin’ on ’em. But I think the line is right, and that this is a gonna be a close one, just like the Peach Bowl in the 80s. i just want to remind folks how big this game is for the Hoosiers, they haven‘t won a bowl in something like a billion years. It’s a big monkey on their back. With a win, they will also equal the most wins by an Indiana team in the not so storied history of the program. It’s something to fight for, respect, history, and a new tradition. What are the Vols fighting for? I can’t really say, maybe next year, the future, another trophy in the case? Not as inspirational... In the end, I think we have too many horses for them and we win a close won late in the 4th Quarter and that turnovers will be key. But a blowout for the Big Orange. Not this time....

VN Store

Back