Pruitt and VOLS took GSU for granted, will Indiana be the same?

Hope we‘re ready to play our best game..It’s time!

Based on what I’ve read from a segment of the fan base, they believe this game will be a walk in the park.... It’s the same comments we read before the GSU game.

How do you start this thread without wincing?

I say we win 200 to 0. I can say outlandish things as a fan because I have not one iota of impact on the outcome.

Last edited:
I get what you mean and I've thought the same thing. Not glad, exactly. But it definitely gave us a place to rally from. Maybe they had to hit rock-bottom before they could find what they needed to start rising again. I've wondered if we would have finished like we did if we hadn't started so poorly.

I don't think we would have but that's just my opinion.

Or... Pruitt was just completely taken by surprise by how bad JG played after looking good all off season. He had to know it would take a few games for the DL and OL to gel. But he thought JG, the receivers , and back 7 would carry them. In Pruitt’s own words JG looked like a different player from the one he’d seen in practice.

UT now would have trucked GSU and BYU. The biggest changes have been the development of the DL and JG appearing to overcome his mental block.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 Monkeys
No they aren't better than UK or Missouri. They didn't beat a single team with winning record. 25-71 record of teams they beat. SC, and UK would probably beat them bad.

They are definitely better than Mizzou and South Carolina. Probably about even with Kentucky. But Kentucky is a team we beat by 4 points.

We should beat them, but this is the same misguided cockiness we saw at the beginning of the season when people on here were proclaiming "anything less than a 4 touchdown win against BYU is unacceptable!"

We don't have our best player in the 1st half, nor do we have our 2nd best O-lineman. I still think we should win, but this idea that we're going to walk in and beat Indiana by 30 is ridiculous. If we win 23-16, it's a great day!

We should have been 9-3 at the very least. We score that TD vs Bama and all bets were off. We had them on their heels. Maybe 10-2. That said...they will never make that mistake again under Pruitt. Plus, I think a few that transferred were a blessing to get them out of the locker room. GBO!!! BEAT INDIANA!!!

I've wondered if we would have finished like we did if we hadn't started so poorly.
In my opinion, yes or better. QB play was they critical factor early. If JG had started out like he finished and had played consistent then it would not have inhibited the other improvements. It would not have prevented Pruitt from challenging them.

Reactions: 08Vol and vettefool
Hope we‘re ready to play our best game..It’s time!

Nope. Getting their teeth kicked in by a nobody made it clear everybody is somebody you have to beat to avoid being left on the field bleeding from your mouth, ears, and nose.

They are definitely better than Mizzou and South Carolina. Probably about even with Kentucky. But Kentucky is a team we beat by 4 points.

We should beat them, but this is the same misguided cockiness we saw at the beginning of the season when people on here were proclaiming "anything less than a 4 touchdown win against BYU is unacceptable!"

We don't have our best player in the 1st half, nor do we have our 2nd best O-lineman. I still think we should win, but this idea that we're going to walk in and beat Indiana by 30 is ridiculous. If we win 23-16, it's a great day!
strawwwwwwwwwwwmennnnn everywhere......"people on here proclaiming" give me a break...

we will beat Indiana by a lot, maybe not 30 but its possible

Georgia had an excuse for not showing up in their bowl game last year; the Vols don't. Bowl games are no longer automatic for the Vols.

Reactions: 08Vol
No, OP. Not at all.

1. No Bituli to wind up the defense before Ga State. He's there now.
2. We were looking past Ga State at BYU. No game after Indiana.
3. Team wasn't fully cohesive in August. They are now (have been since shortly after the Florida loss).
4. Newish coaching staff learned their lesson about focusing 100% on the game in front of you.
5. These seniors--Jennings, Bituli, Warrior, Callaway, Taylor, etc--are still hungry, want to go out with a bang. They'll lead, the rest of the lads will follow.

There are so many big, important differences between then and now, it's really not even close to comparable.

Go Vols!

With out Gray the team that played Vandy woildnt have trucked anyone
Yeah. I think GSU and BYU were that weak by comparison. JG threw poorly and that’s worrisome but he managed the O night and day better than early on. QB decisions impact the run game significantly. @k-town_king tried to deny it but it is very true. JGs poor decisions in the run game were part of what got him benched

No, OP. Not at all.

1. No Bituli to wind up the defense before Ga State. He's there now.
2. We were looking past Ga State at BYU. No game after Indiana.
3. Team wasn't fully cohesive in August. They are now (have been since shortly after the Florida loss).
4. Newish coaching staff learned their lesson about focusing 100% on the game in front of you.
5. These seniors--Jennings, Bituli, Warrior, Callaway, Taylor, etc--are still hungry, want to go out with a bang. They'll lead, the rest of the lads will follow.

There are so many big, important differences between then and now, it's really not even close to comparable.

Go Vols!
So how in the world do coaches with this much experience not focus on the game at hand?One of the Cardinal rules of competition is that you MUST respect your next opponent, regardless of history or past. So, we are paying these coaches mega bucks, and they're not adhering to this philosophy, which has been proven over and over by huge upset after huge upset?

As of today betting line is Vols -1.5 so LV is not sold on a Vol rout. And betting is twice as heavy on Indiana so not much faith in Vols covering that spread by the betters..

I doubt they took anyone for granted just because. Pruitt likely did what other head coaches do. If they have opponents they expect to beat, they'll do minimal prep for those games and focus more attention on the next challenging game.

Fulmer admitted to doing this in the past before we played Florida. Normally it's a safe bet. But if you screw up an lose to that weak team, you look like an oaf.

And from what I read, Pruitt was running the Georgia St game like a practice. Instead of putting in starters and giving them the majority of playtime he was rotating a lot of different players in to get them reps.

None of this should be an issue for a bowl game. This is all that's left on the schedule. There's no Florida or UGA the next week they need to prepare for. They know who can start, who can contribute, and who likely won't see the field.

Based on what I’ve read from a segment of the fan base, they believe this game will be a walk in the park.... It’s the same comments we read before the GSU game.

The fact you put stock on what anyone on a message board says was your first mistake.

Yeah. I think GSU and BYU were that weak by comparison. JG threw poorly and that’s worrisome but he managed the O night and day better than early on. QB decisions impact the run game significantly. @k-town_king tried to deny it but it is very true. JGs poor decisions in the run game were part of what got him benched
Lmao. You are such a clown. JG has us in position to win the BYU game and did more than enough to beat GSU.

The defense and line play lost both games.

The run game was bad. Not because of JG. He isn't the reason we got stopped on third or fourth and short those two games.

Be real. I know it's hard for you to do.

Not sure why we're still looking at Ga St as some indication of what this team is now. We should all know that 99.9% of the time we're winning that game. That day just happened to be the .1%.

It's like the Ducks beating the Hawks in The Mighty Ducks.

Or Team USA beating Iceland in D2: The Mighty Ducks

Or how about JV beating Varsity in D3: The Mighty Ducks???

Sometimes ridiculous underdog stories become reality.

Reactions: VolinMC and tbwhhs

VN Store

Back