'20 TN ATH Darion Williamson (FSU Commit)

I'm pretty sure there are a couple more players that we'd like to have. You still have Riley Lovingood coming back next year. Need as much depth you can get at DL, WR, and LB.

He offered him a scholarship because he's the best long snapper in the country. Who happens to be from Tennessee.

Would you not recruit the #1 QB?

It's a position of need. You don't believe that.
That's fine...

But Pruitt knows better. Even Butch Understood the importance of strong special teams. It's 1/3 of the entire game of football. Did you remember the Michigan State- Michigan 5 years ago when the long snapper over shot the punter and resulted in a TD for Michigan. And it won the game for them. All he needed was a little accuracy and Michigan State wins the game. They didn't make the championship game because of that one play.

Special teams is crucial and you need the best playing it.

He offered him a scholarship because he's the best long snapper in the country. Who happens to be from Tennessee.

That's fine...

But Pruitt knows better. Even Butch Understood the importance of strong special teams. It's 1/3 of the entire game of football. Did you remember the Michigan State- Michigan 5 years ago when the long snapper over shot the punter and resulted in a TD for Michigan. And it won the game for them. All he needed was a little accuracy and Michigan State wins the game. They didn't make the championship game because of that one play.

It's not a very smart move to try an prioritize a long snapper compared to a QB or a other position on need. You could also make a case that punter is a more important need than a long snapper based on how our punters performed this year.

Just digged a little more and he is not returning, my fault there. Still don't think a long snapper is above another position for a scholarship.

Reactions: LittleVol

That's fine...

Also I believe it's a position of need and it's nice to have a good long snapper but idk if you can really justify not blue shirting him to give that scholarship to a LB, DL, or WR which we need.

That's fine...

And we've had a botched/almost botched long snap in each of the last 4 games. The one against Mizzou could've cost us the damn game if he hadn't managed to bobble it back into control, to get the punt off.
Thank goodness he did but if we'd lost instead..., bet ol Albright's popularity would've shot way up.

It's not a very smart move to try an prioritize a long snapper compared to a QB or a other position on need. You could also make a case that punter is a more important need than a long snapper based on how our punters performed this year.
Did we prioritize him over a QB or any other position? Punter doesn’t even get the ball if you don’t have a good LS. The time the punter has to get off a good punt is dictated by how fast and accurately the ball reaches him. I’m sure Pruitt would like to land him without using a spot but a great LS doesn’t show up in the stats column but a bad one shows up in your win/loss column.

Did we prioritize him over a QB or any other position? Punter doesn’t even get the ball if you don’t have a good LS. The time the punter has to get off a good punt is dictated by how fast and accurately the ball reaches him. I’m sure Pruitt would like to land him without using a spot but a great LS doesn’t show up in the stats column but a bad one shows up in your win/loss column.
Would love to know exactly how many times a bad long snapper has truly hurt the team vs not enough depth at LB, DL etc. Don't think you'd ever be in a game playing against a team where you let a kid go that was a lb because you didn't have a spot and he is killing you but by gosh thank God we got that #1 rated long snapper in the '19 class.

Would love to know exactly how many times a bad long snapper has truly hurt the team vs not enough depth at LB, DL etc. Don't think you'd ever be in a game playing against a team where you let a kid go that was a lb because you didn't have a spot and he is killing you but by gosh thank God we got that #1 rated long snapper in the '19 class.

Just look at any game where the LSer snapped the ball over the head of the punter and 6 points was given up.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
With all the names being thrown around for this year's class do you really wanna waste a spot this year for him too?
Names being thrown is recruiting. You land what you can. He’s got a spot.

To memory thats not a very large number compared to the amount of games played.
Only takes one to change a game. This goes back to the longsnapper FROM TENNESSEE that we had committed as a PWO until Oklahoma offered him a full ride that he accepted. Faced him his freshman season and their special teams were ANOTHER unit superior to our own...and a constantly mentioned aspect was the LS signed out from under us. You sign one and he pays off for four seasons...worthy return investment. This is happening. We can argue the merits but I’m not.

Only takes one to change a game. This goes back to the longsnapper FROM TENNESSEE that we had committed as a PWO until Oklahoma offered him a full ride that he accepted. Faced him his freshman season and their special teams were ANOTHER unit superior to our own...and a constantly mentioned aspect was the LS signed out from under us. You sign one and he pays off for four seasons...worthy return investment. This is happening. We can argue the merits but I’m not.
Not saying it's not an important position but you cannot sit here and tell me you'd rather have a long snapper than 2 pass rushers which we really need. I see what y'all are saying but the fact is, is that it's just not as important as having a good dynamic pass rusher, and no one could convince me otherwise.

Also I'm 100% sure if Oklahoma could go back they'd trade that long snapper for Derek Barnett in heart beat. Case closed.

I've literally said we could blue shirt him to keep him in the class. Plus if you didn't blue shirt him and just dropped him it's a whole lot easier to find a good Walk-On long snapper vs a pass rushing DE, LB etc.

I've literally said we could blue shirt him to keep him in the class. Plus if you didn't blue shirt him and just dropped him it's a whole lot easier to find a good Walk-On long snapper vs a pass rushing DE, LB etc.
It’s always easy for the message board fans...fantasy football. 😏

Not saying it's not an important position but you cannot sit here and tell me you'd rather have a long snapper than 2 pass rushers which we really need. I see what y'all are saying but the fact is, is that it's just not as important as having a good dynamic pass rusher, and no one could convince me otherwise.
That’s not the choice tho. We can have two pass rushers AND him. You’re making it too difficult for yourself. 😏

VN Store

Back