Bowl is not over yet

I assume you're not thrilled with either match-up. I wouldn't be either. I'm just telling you how it sounds to a regular fan.

Tennessee-Nebraska would generate more buzz and Nebraska didn't qualify for a bowl.
And Florida vs Virginia is great heck atleast kentucky is playing Virginia tech.

I assume you're not thrilled with either match-up. I wouldn't be either. I'm just telling you how it sounds to a regular fan.

Tennessee-Nebraska would generate more buzz and Nebraska didn't qualify for a bowl.

Is Indiana an attractive opponent? No they are not but they are considered a pretty good team this year. Louisville is considered middle of the road.

UT is only 7-5 but was widely considered one of the better teams in the SEC by the end of the year.

And Florida vs Virginia is great heck atleast kentucky is playing Virginia tech.

No, I can't stand the matchup either. Not turning down a NY6 invite over it. But, don't like the matchup.

It's been discussed in other threads, but the inclusion of a non-power 5 and other automatic tie-ins are terrible.

A Florida-Notre Dame/Utah Orange Bowl and a Penn State-Alabama Cotton Bowl are world's better and closer to what things should be than Penn State-Memphis and Florida-Virginia

I really want that January 2nd 7:00 pm time slot the Gator provides. That's ideal for us from a marketing our program standpoint.

I prefer this Opponent and Fl is a bit sexier but bottom line less net money at the end. I was good either way.r

edited to add....... I was wrong.... according to a website I found the Gator payout is 2.5 vs the MCB at 1.6 Net may be close due to more expenses going to FL....

Last edited:
Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Is Indiana an attractive opponent? No they are not but they are considered a pretty good team this year. Louisville is considered middle of the road.

UT is only 7-5 but was widely considered one of the better teams in the SEC by the end of the year.

For a lot of people, they don't focus on quality of team or record as crazy as that may sound. They focus on team or brand.

So, Tennessee is a brand and that's what makes them attractive.

Michigan-Alabama is probably going to excite more casual fans more than all games but the playoffs

So how many titans fans get rooms and eat out multiple times, maybe spend an extra day to go shopping? Same for a press game?

Not a big deal but not buying the tourism folks would back you up.
Most titans games have more fans from the opposite team coming into town than actual titans fans. They buy hotel rooms and go to bars and restaurants.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I am from Jacksonville.

I have visited Nashville

I agree
I think it's just that tradition plus hopefully warmer weather is the difference...I used to work in Jacksonville in the largest building at the time..The Independent Life one.had lots of fun down at The Landing....easy selll to my wife and son to go to the bowl there...he loves Disney and she likes St Augustine...we can spend the week roaming around the area...I also used to host lots of clients in Tennessee and they all said Nashville was one of their fave cities in the country...of course Memphis was popular too...not so much Elvis but most wanted to see the Lorraine and eat at Gus's before heading to Beale

No, I can't stand the matchup either. Not turning down a NY6 invite over it. But, don't like the matchup.

It's been discussed in other threads, but the inclusion of a non-power 5 and other automatic tie-ins are terrible.

A Florida-Notre Dame/Utah Orange Bowl and a Penn State-Alabama Cotton Bowl are world's better and closer to what things should be than Penn State-Memphis and Florida-Virginia

I think y'all got screwed too. Even the ACC's 2nd best team is not that good. They just got 60 points rung up on them and gets rewarded with the orange bowl. Too many bowls and tie ins.

Reactions: 99grad
For a lot of people, they don't focus on quality of team or record as crazy as that may sound. They focus on team or brand.

So, Tennessee is a brand and that's what makes them attractive.

Michigan-Alabama is probably going to excite more casual fans more than all games but the playoffs

Neither Indiana or Louisville is a great brand but it can be argued a great record can overcome a weak brand. Look at Memphis.

But again there are way too many bowls. That is why we see so many puzzling and weak matchups.

Reactions: RollerVol
Vols fans whining worked, apparently.

Or, perhaps, beating KY two years in a row, finishing two games ahead of KY in the SEC standings, and having a fan base that is passionate about football worked. I do hope little brother has fun in Charlotte. Scoreboard.

Last edited:
I hope you all get what you want.

I understand that traditionally the Gator Bowl has a name that people know. But, the Music City is a better bowl.

If fans would rather have fun in Jacksonville than Nashville, cool.

But, technically, at this point in time, the Music City is better.

Not to me and many other folks who want to go somewhere warmer.

Enlighten me how does a team go about getting chosen for a particular bowl? And how can bowls compete over a team to participate?

Neither Indiana or Louisville is a great brand but it can be argued a great record can overcome a weak brand. Look at Memphis.

But again there are way too many bowls. That is why we see so many puzzling and weak matchups.
Too many bowls? For who - people who don’t like watching CFB? We’re about to go 8 months w/o any CFB games so I say the more the better. Besides, bowls are rewards for the kids putting in the work so don’t worry about it.

Reactions: knox73

VN Store

Back