How Quinten Dormady's 'rocky road' helped resurrect Central Michigan football

Have any of you folks watched a CMU game? My high school had more fans. It's a far cry from Neyland, so much so the two experiences really can't be compared. It almost looked like a club sport to me.

I'm happy for him but I don't think he was ever athletic enough to succeed in the SEC. CMU football is another world from UT

Just a couple yrs ago the MAC had several NFL starting QBs. QD biggest problem was Jones offense was a horrible fit for him.

A lot of it does have to do with the chances you’re given. Look at how many opportunities Jg has been gifted. It’s almost bizarre. So many good players have had to wait their turn and for many the turn never even come. Bj Coleman is a good example of that. But I will say that both bj and dormady would’ve had more options if they’d have stuck it out. Guys get hurt and the level of plays come and goes. If dormady has stayed here he’d have ended up getting to play some more I’m sure.

Reactions: Steven5198
Have any of you folks watched a CMU game? My high school had more fans. It's a far cry from Neyland, so much so the two experiences really can't be compared. It almost looked like a club sport to me.

I'm happy for him but I don't think he was ever athletic enough to succeed in the SEC. CMU football is another world from UT

There's a bit of irony to this story. Butch Jones was first an assistant and then head coach at CMU - about a ten year span at CMU before going to Cincinnati.

Dormady has always seemed like a good guy, glad to see him finally enjoying some success on the football field...

Quinten Dormady jogged to east side of the field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium with a smile on his face. Joining his Central Michigan teammates and the marching band in singing the university’s fight song, Dormady’s emotions encapsulated a journey that has spanned five years, three schools, 22 games and an improbable resurrection of a middling program. And it’s not over yet.

...Dormady transferred to CMU on Dec. 11, just weeks after the Chippewas finished 1-11 and replaced coach John Bonamego with Jim McElwain. With McElwain shifting the culture, offensive coordinator Charlie Frye calling plays and Dormady executing on the plan each week, CMU put together an 8-4 record this season with a 6-2 mark in the MAC. “I’m really glad he chose to come here,” McElwain said. “He’s one of the reasons that we’re playing this weekend.” But Dormady’s success in 2019 didn’t come without hardship.
How Quinten Dormady's 'rocky road' helped resurrect Central Michigan football

View attachment 243309View attachment 243305View attachment 243311
Awesome. He was screwed here with Larry Scott as an OC.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Not as many as you think...His crybaby attitude had a lot of people turned off about him..Dormady was playing fair, not great but fair before he got hurt...He made mistakes but that's normal with a new starting qb....I think we probably would have a better record with him at QB than JG over time...kid beat GT when we all thought the game was over and almost beat UF at the swamp the day Franks had his miracle.

His attitude plus the fact he didn’t have the “skill/IQ” to take a snap under center vs UF was a bad first impression

Always liked Dormady. The thing I'll remember most about him is how many people on here would get butt hurt whenever someone would spell his name Dormandy.

Not really "butt hurt"....just annoyed at ignorance....and if not ignorance just plain lazy.

He's obviously no where close to the GOAT from UT....but from a fan standpoint....fan short for fanatic....and we're that....can we not spell his name correctly...it's like spelling it like "Payton"...instead of "Peyton"..

It just makes you look stupid!

Would you type a letter to a boss or HR or equivalent and misspell a boss's name

Last edited:
When Quentin lived in Knoxville he was my next door neighbor,very respectful young man.When he lost his starting job to JG I texted him to fight to get his starting job back.He responded with a long reply not just a short thanks or no response at all.I had many interactions with him while he was in Knoxville and I can't say enough good things about him.

Great for Dormandy! So many former Tennessee QB's that failed here that have found success elsewhere. As a fan base dying for success we've trashed many of our old QB's that played poorly behind suspect Olines to have them suddenly become very good at other schools. Maybe those days are gone with Chaney running the offense.

LOL@U. You mean the guy who beat JG out before getting injured mid-season? Jones wanted to give JG the job... Dormady just outplayed JG so badly in camp that he couldn't.

I don't know what Dormady would or wouldn't have done if he'd stayed. There's a much better than even bet that he would have done no worse than JG.

He lost his job when JG learned the o better and due to poor performance. JG had better numbers on the year. Lets not start the revisionist history.

JG could not beat him out and JG is not at his correct level. The real JG showed back up against Vandy
JG beat him out by mid season when he learned the o. He transferred because he got beat.
Jg has been the third or fourth best SEC qb this year. I would say the SEC is his correct level.
He beat out Jarrett Gaurantano...
In camp. Lost the job by mid season and had to leave to play.

This is very true. As a TN fan we (my family and I) have been to our share of games at Neyland. My son attended CMU for his masters degree. Great program, great experience, and his first semester I drove up to visit him and we decided to make it our usual football weekend, just at CMU. I had heard good things about the program and everyone in town sure talked them up. It is a completely different world. The biggest differences:

Parking/tailgating. I am used to paying $35-$45 to park near Neyland (prefer the methodist church up on the hill), we pulled into the first lot we saw, we paid $5 to park and we thought holy cow what a deal! We realized once we parked we entered the "VIP" parking adjacent to the tailgate area and stadium, had i kept driving another 50 yards I could have parked FOR FREE.

Fans. People like their team, but the stadium there seemed to only fill up on the home side. Plenty of seats.

Students. The students had a packed, rowdy section at kickoff and I thought OK, not bad. I looked up during the 2nd quarter and nearly the entire student section was empty. We asked what was going on - apparently the students go in for the start of the game, then go back out to the tailgating section to drink the rest of the day.

My son and I left at halftime. Just no reason to sit through the game, it was dull, low fan energy, and we went to the local BWW to watch SEC football instead.

I'm happy Dormady is with Jim McElwain, they seem to appreciate each other, and saying they fit in the MAC is a statement about where they belong based on talent/skill. I still believe Butch Jones should have stayed right there in Mount Pleasant - he's a MI guy and was adored there, and could have had a hell of a career. They still talk about him. From what I could tell, the MAC is in no way anything close to an SEC experience. Football just isn't regarded in the same way, there.

BTW we did see their women's BBall team play a few times, and they were legit - made a run in the tourny a couple of years ago. their best sports team by far.

People seem to forget JG has been beaten out of the starting spot by 3 different QB's..
That makes his comeback even more impressive and should excite all Vol fans I think especially considering he did it all while he couldn't even tie his own shoes because of the broken hand. You sure hate on a VFL a bunch.

That makes his comeback even more impressive and should excite all Vol fans I think especially considering he did it all while he couldn't even tie his own shoes because of the broken hand. You sure hate on a VFL a bunch.
lol. "Comeback". A lot of Vol fans have seriously low standards and expectations.

Reactions: tnvols72
Has it been confirmed that K-town King is really Dobbs4Heisman?

His obsession with JG is actually a bit concerning. Very similar to D4H's infatuation with Dobbs.

They are eerily similar in their obsessions of a college kid.
There are enough dots that can be connected to assume they are.

Reactions: Grudenator
He lost his job when JG learned the o better and due to poor performance. JG had better numbers on the year. Lets not start the revisionist history.

JG beat him out by mid season when he learned the o. He transferred because he got beat.
Jg has been the third or fourth best SEC qb this year. I would say the SEC is his correct level.

In camp. Lost the job by mid season and had to leave to play.
LOL.
QD had a shoulder injury early on in the season you warm beer. JG is terrible and couldn't even beat out two freshman this year for half the season.

Good for him. He was never a fit for Butch’s offense. I think Butch just signed him because he was highly rated...

Reactions: Steven5198
LOL.
QD had a shoulder injury early on in the season you warm beer. JG is terrible and couldn't even beat out two freshman this year for half the season.
Sure guy. If that was the case, when he was better he would have came back as the starter. Not transferred.

JG was not beat out by anyone for half the season. He didn't start three games and still played the majority of two of them. You love making stuff up.

There are enough dots that can be connected to assume they are.
You have said some dumb things but this may take the cake. What are these dots that you have made up?

You're right in that he did have a really good game Missouri. Still did some of the same garbage in that game he always has, but still good statistically... But, he again was only responsible for a laughable 28 points. Right at his previous career high of 24 points in SEC play.

THEN after that game he AGAIN brings attention on himself by bringing up death threats. Only someone like him RUINS a situation, like that, by bringing attention to himself by pointing out something about the fanbase that should've been kept "in house". That type of thing went real well for Jim McElwain didn't it?? Very poor moment for a supposed "leader". Way to take the high road.

Then, what does he do the next week? Follows up his career game with LITERALLY a candidate for a career LOW game. Everyone deals with grief differently, so I'm not going to go there, but he was obviously not ready to play. For whatever reason. Despite his personal family deal, you still had #2 apologists (like the Priceless one on Volquest) PREDICTING that #2 could go out motivated for his grandmother and Vandy would have no chance as a result. Then after he plays all-time AWEFUL game some of the same people used the grandmother death as an excuse. Can't make it up.

The LIKELY truth is that the guy is what he is and the Missouri and Auburn games are extreme outliers. He'll give you a good game, or two, STATISTICALLY a year. Give you a high of about 25 points, IN CONFERENCE, but more times than not is just as likely to get you beat. All of this is four years after he completed high school and PLENTY of sample size to know what you're going to get....

Reactions: tnvols72

VN Store

Back