Worst Coach Ever?

I am not talking about the record I am talking about watching the game this team improved every game as the season went along. Look at the Ga State game and the BYU games and if someone had told you after week 2 we'd end up ranked 29th in both TOTAL and scoring Defense after that you'd have thought them crazy. I'm not even gonna bother with GA/FL/BAMA anyone that things we stood a chance against them this year was on crack. I get tired of the morons that say those games we have to win we are not at that point yet and it has nothing to do with coaching. We only gave up more than 21 points in games we lost. Our defense played very very well from the Florida game on. Bama was held to under 40 points two times this whole season. 35 vs us and 38 vs Mississippi State. They won both games and in fact, in the 2 games they lost they socred over 40. They averaged 48 points a game btw.

We definitely showed obvious improvement week to week. Especially once we stopped playing musical chairs and let JG do his thing.
I agree with a lot of what you said. But I think the fact that we did play musical chairs at quarterback helped us. I think JG was never going to get the message until he was benched. When he had to fight to get his job back he improved. Some people need that. If everybody had praised him and kept patting him on the back after the Alabama game do you really believe he would have improved on his own? There is still a lot of things this team needs to work on. Discipline is one of them. Still a lot of
unnecessary roughness penalties and shooting themselves in the foot. They were playing some weaker teams at the end of the schedule where they were able to overcome those. If they draw a good team in the bowl game they will be exposed if those aren't corrected.

As a matter of fact, I bet a bunch of posters in this thread was hoping it would never see the light of day again.

does not matter if you accept it, it happened, move on. Every team loses games like that at times. It is not how you start its how you finish. Pretty much everyone with much sense predicted 7-5 as a good season before it all started. That's where we ended. If they had GA State chalked up as a win it means we won a game we weren't expected to win. Most had Missou, USCe, and UK as toss ups. It sucks we lost but there were very real reasons that loss happened. This team was insanely young and on top of that, we were missing some of our top defensive players the first 3-4 weeks and were breaking in a completely new DL. People put the blame on that game on JG and the offense which I find insane they scored 30 points. We gave up 38 because we were playing a lot of third and 4th stringers on defense because of injuries/suspensions. Once we got healthy and got our guys back we ended up with a top 30 defense. (29th total defense and scoring defense). This was a young team and I know people love to rail against that fact with the whole tired of hearing that but it's true. We played a huge amount of true freshmen a huge amount of snaps. We had very few Seniors in the 2 deep.

How this team ended is a perfect example of a team improving before your eyes and with the bowl game and 15 extra practices you'll see a huge uptick next year. We will still have issues with the big 3 but we will no longer have trouble with the teams we are supposed to beat. 9-3 is a realistic outcome for next season. Given how our schedule got moved around. We no longer have the 4 game gauntlet from sept-oct we have had for most of my lifetime. we don't play Florida till game 4 get 3 weeks till we face Bama and then another 2 weeks until Georgia. next season will be very very interesting.
I think if the first two losses are offically deemed unacceptable by the fanbase the NCAA will count them as wins. Let's put it to a vote.

I agree with a lot of what you said. But I think the fact that we did play musical chairs at quarterback helped us. I think JG was never going to get the message until he was benched. When he had to fight to get his job back he improved. Some people need that. If everybody had praised him and kept patting him on the back after the Alabama game do you really believe he would have improved on his own? There is still a lot of things this team needs to work on. Discipline is one of them. Still a lot of
unnecessary roughness penalties and shooting themselves in the foot. They were playing some weaker teams at the end of the schedule where they were able to overcome those. If they draw a good team in the bowl game they will be exposed if those aren't corrected.
You do realize that Maurer actually played WORSE than JG a lot worse. JG threw 6 picks all season people act like he improved over the season but his QBR/Rating/completion percentage and yards per attempt were stable all year. There has just been this huge terrible hate fest against the guy for the past 3 years that people cant see reality. He has Played for what 3 different OC's? it was obvious he was learning the offense. Sitting him down for a worse QB didn't help the team.

I think if the first two losses are officially deemed unacceptable by the fanbase the NCAA will count them as wins. Let's put it to a vote.
LOL good one bro. The fact both of those teams are going bowling kinda blows the whole they are trash teams theory though. It is hilarious just because people don't know about a team to them it's a no-name team. BYU is in a down cycle but they are a historically good team. Georgia State is a dangerous team because of where they are. They are basically downtown Atlanta and have access to some of the best talent in the nation. all the guys that flew under the radar but they saw week in and week out or didn't have the grades for other schools. It is the same formula UCF and USF used to get where they are.

I wish someone would come out and define why losing that game was unacceptable? We played a football team and lost they were not an FCS program they are D1. We've lost to way worse teams in the past decade guys and beaten way better. Unexpected? Sure, unacceptable that's silly.

Reactions: rikberry31
LOL good one bro. The fact both of those teams are going bowling kinda blows the whole they are trash teams theory though. It is hilarious just because people don't know about a team to them it's a no-name team. BYU is in a down cycle but they are a historically good team. Georgia State is a dangerous team because of where they are. They are basically downtown Atlanta and have access to some of the best talent in the nation. all the guys that flew under the radar but they saw week in and week out or didn't have the grades for other schools. It is the same formula UCF and USF used to get where they are.

I wish someone would come out and define why losing that game was unacceptable? We played a football team and lost they were not an FCS program they are D1. We've lost to way worse teams in the past decade guys and beaten way better. Unexpected? Sure, unacceptable that's silly.
All this is true. I really think a lot of these posters on here are kids. They way over estimate their knowledge of the game and when their wrong the ignore reality like children. Ignorance and arrogance, a lethal combonation.

You do realize that Maurer actually played WORSE than JG a lot worse. JG threw 6 picks all season people act like he improved over the season but his QBR/Rating/completion percentage and yards per attempt were stable all year. There has just been this huge terrible hate fest against the guy for the past 3 years that people cant see reality. He has Played for what 3 different OC's? it was obvious he was learning the offense. Sitting him down for a worse QB didn't help the team.
In my case it's not hate. He just was not producing like he should have for a guy that's been in the system as long as he has. Simple as that.

just because you don’t pay attention to them doesn’t mean they’re awful. Ga State definitely should’ve been an easy win... but they’re nowhere near one of the worst programs in FBS.
They finished with a winning record and playing a bowl game..

That's already been proven to be a lie. Keep digging, whistle britches.
You haven't proven anything. The only reason we debate is because I don't kiss the coaches asses. How do you think all this started? You trying to act all objective. You can't stand anybody being critical

You haven't proven anything. The only reason we debate is because I don't kiss the coaches asses. How do you think all this started? You trying to act all objective. You can't stand anybody being critical
We don't debate, you make crap, lie and get mad.

1. Pruitt
2. Dooley
3. Butch

Hard to compare the three. All of them have completely different pedigrees and levels of experience as an HC. Since you said coach and not HC, you have more to compare however.

Jeremy Pruitt

Experience

Just started as an HC, with not even being done when his second year. but he wisely spent his developmental years at multiple power five schools two of which were championship grade. The 3rd if which was no slouch. So, he has the best pedigree of them all and is more proven in those years of his career.

Record
He improved our record by one win his first year and possibly 4 wins by his second year. He is on the same trajectory as Butch with a slightly steeper curve than Butch. However, he has not done as much as Butch did with regards to his record thus far.

Abilities
He develops players. He is known for it, and it is showing tremendously. He also has great connections and is well respected. He doesn’t baby his players but he fights for them too. He has control of his emotions with the media, but he isn’t boring on the field and that is when his personality comes alive. He also has shown he can keep a team together during adversity. I think he has the most upside of the three. We will see... I am proud to have him.

Butch Jones

Experience
Jones has coached the most as an HC. He coached multiple years at every stop. However, he spent his developmental years as a coach for non-power five schools like Central Michigan.

Record
He did very well at every spot including UT until his last year. He won Championships at CMU and Cinci and got Tennessee to runner-up his 3rd and 4th year. We were 4th when Butch inherited the program that was coming unraveling after Kiffin bolted. If Jones had a strong 5th year, he would still be here.

Abilities
Butch said it from the beginning. He would take a CEO approach. He tried, but in the end he proved he was a salesman. I still remember the warnings from Cinci people. Once Bajakian left and the pressure (unrightfully) became so heavy to replace Bajakian, we began to see how deep Butch Jones’ book ran when it came to coordinafors and his ability to replace them. He lucked out with the hiring of Shoop. Debord worked well with the cast we had, but he didn’t feel like sticking it out with Butch and Butch didn’t know enough about coaching to value a strength coordinator. He didn’t realize how good the one he originally had was, and he had no idea how important a good one was. He was able to recruit, but not able to keep a team. He was a horrible leader. This is where he needs to grow the most. He got me excited to watch football again and I will forever appreciate his contributions. He brought this city a lot of money and some good times. Unfortunately, there were too many bad ones.

Derek Dooley

Experience
Dooley’s background looks a bit like Pruitt’s as his developmental years have been at power five schools and even the NFL. Georgia, LSU and Miami and Dallas respectfully. Now he is an OC at Missouri. I think he is still in his development years.

Record
Perfect segue. I think Dooley tried his hand at HC too soon, as his experience at LA Tech did nothing for his resume, and when looking at what he did there makes Dooley the dumbest coaching hire I am aware of... EVER. He had one mediocre season and two losing seasons at LA Tech—the worst of which was the year before we hired him at Tennessee. He then posted three losing seasons at Tennessee.

Abilities
He didn’t seem to have much respect from his team. They dogged him after he left. Poor leader in my opinion. We had some high octane offenses under Dooley which seems to be his flavor, but that was when he had our current OC with him who is clearly better than he is. He hasn’t done much at Missouri but he has had only one year. Jury is still out on whether or not he is a good OC. He may be a good position coach at best.

Verdict:
Derek Dooley

VN Store

Back