Worst Coach Ever?

When Pruitt is no longer coach here, whenever that may be, then you can compare coaching tenures here.

Until then, I’m not going to sit here and try to use 16 games and a single game to say who the worst coach at Tennessee is.

Trying to cherry pick a single game to label a coach great or horrible is dumb. Because what happens if Pruitt winds up a winner here? What happens if he just goes off the rails and doesn’t win another game this year?

Obviously you don’t know the answer to either question because you don’t know what will happen. And since there is only one active head coach of the Vols, you can compare who’s tenure was the worst with former coaches while including an active coach who is 16 games of his tenure.
A single game? Are you serious? He broke the record for the most lopsided losses over 25 points last year. He got destroyed by Vanderbilt he got destroyed buy Missouri. He got pushed around and beat by Georgia State at home. He got humiliated by Florida today.

A single game? Are you serious? He broke the record for the most lopsided losses over 25 points last year. He got destroyed by Vanderbilt he got destroyed buy Missouri. He got pushed around and beat by Georgia State at home. He got humiliated by Florida today.

I don’t think Pruitt suits up

Reactions: troyntn71
Well can you rank coaches as the best or worst against each other when 2 got fired and the other is currently coaching.

Because guess what? What happens if Pruitt thru 5 years has won a SEC title. Is he still gonna be the worst coach of all time at UT based on his first two seasons? That’s essentially what people are doing here. Guy could run off 20 wins and people would still say “well he should have an * by his name because of his first 16 games” lmaooo

Do you actually think there is a possibility of him leading us to an SEC championship? Ever?

Do you actually think there is a possibility of him leading us to an SEC championship? Ever?

We don’t know anything but guesses and what if’s.

Plenty of coaches have started out rough and gotten better. Others have started out good and got horrible. Some have been bad their entire tenure....

You don’t know what will happen
I don’t know what will happen

What we all know is the likelihood of firing Pruitt and putting another 10+ million of buyouts on the books on top of Butch’s is not likely.

I will reserve my judgement / opinion on whether Pruitt should be fired or retained based on the 2020 season. He will have zero excuses in year 3 since the overwhelming majority of the roster and two deep will be his recruits and players.

That 10 million buyout can buy a lot of tater fields on the backside of Sand Mountain.
Surely there are 102,455 fans that would gladly donate $500 each which comes out to $51,227,500....to buy our way out of this Pruitt mess....either way this is all on Fulmer now. BTW...the last coach that Fulmer hired ultimately got himself fired....how ironic really.

My issue with negavols who claim to be "realists" are that they do this:
*Beginning of the year or 1/3 through*
"JG is simply a terrible QB, thats a fact."
"The backs are serviceable, but not SEC take-over-a-game caliber."
Pruitt is an idiot. He has no idea what he's doing out there."
"We don't have the big guys in the trenches to take on the SEC."
"Secondary is average. They keep getting burned."
"OL and DL coach SUCK."
"AND Weinke."
"Jennings is the only skill player actually doing anything out there."
"These players simply aren't good enough."
"This team isn't good enough to make a bowl game."
*Vols win 6 of last 7 to finish an expected 7-5*
Also negavols: "Ah but alas! This team should have been 9-3! Great turnaround but no excuses!
I have a problem with the logic that says the the Vols suck because they don't have good enough players and/or coaches... yet then claim they underachieved.

Pruitt speaks broken English but hasn’t uttered a single cliche yet. That puts him above Butch in my book.

Pruitt is a cliche machine (and seems to struggle with metaphors from time to time). It’s the stupid catch phrases that he avoids.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Putting Jeremy Pruitt in the same breath as Butch Jones is an insult to Butch Jones.
Come back to me about this argument if Pruitt ever gets above .500 ... Pruitt sucks. It’s beyond obvious.
Pruitt is a loser ... He sucks. He’s bad. Those are facts.

Quite a pronounced and unmistakeable position you carved out for yourself there, ZJC.

The lesson to draw from it isn't that you were wrong. We're all wrong sometimes. That's no big deal. It's that this is a symptom of a broader issue -- you (and others here) need to gain a sense of patience, a longer view, learn how not to hyperventilate at every setback.

Because life is just chock full of setbacks. You want to be able to weather them and come out the other side in reasonable shape.

Go Vols!

Dooley lost two games in one season for having too many men on the field on the last play. He was a joke.

I think on one of those 12 man plays the rules have now been changed "run off rule". I think Dooley would still be here if he had not hired Sunseri and changed the number of down linemen on the defensive LOS. He should have stayed on the offensive side of the ball where he belonged. That team averaged 38 points per game. Who gets fired with an offense that scores 38 points per game?

Quite a pronounced and unmistakeable position you carved out for yourself there, ZJC.

The lesson to draw from it isn't that you were wrong. It's that this is a symptom of a broader issue -- you (and others here) need to gain a sense of patience, a longer view, learn how not to hyperventilate at every setback.

Because life is just chock full of setbacks. You want to be able to weather them and come out the other side in reasonable shape.

Go Vols!
Far be it from me to miss an opportunity to make fun of Z... but we were all leaning in his direction to some degree in September.

....But I did enjoy reading that lol.

VN Store

Back