Worst Coach Ever?

Well that’s what this thread is considering it’s comparing tenures of former coaches to 16 games of an active coach....
You are riding that "active coach" horse pretty hard. Dude sucks. Doesn't matter if he's the active coach or not.

Dooley sucked while he was here.
Butch sucked while he was here.
Pruitt sucks while he's currently here.

Reactions: JoAllan and jtdavis
You are riding that "active coach" horse pretty hard. Dude sucks. Doesn't matter if he's the active coach or not.

Dooley sucked while he was here.
Butch sucked while he was here.
Pruitt sucks while he's currently here.

Well can you rank coaches as the best or worst against each other when 2 got fired and the other is currently coaching.

Because guess what? What happens if Pruitt thru 5 years has won a SEC title. Is he still gonna be the worst coach of all time at UT based on his first two seasons? That’s essentially what people are doing here. Guy could run off 20 wins and people would still say “well he should have an * by his name because of his first 16 games” lmaooo

Best case scenario for us is Pruitt gets a major show cause like Tyndall for something that happened at UGA or Bama. fingers crossed.

Butch will forever be the worst coach here. Especially worse than Dooley. Pruitt is still the coach and you can’t label someone the worst, or even best, ever until after they are gone.
How is Butch worse than Dooley? Dooley never had a winning season. Butch had 3.

I liked Dooley's (Chaney's) offense better, but Butch was clearly superior to Dooley and this fool we have running thr program now.

Let’s compare then, Butch’s first 16 games against Pruitt’s first 16 games

First year Butch goes 5-7 with a win over #11 South Carolina, going into his second year he goes 2-2 in the first four games, against much harder competition, so after his first 16 games Butch is 7-9.

First year Pruitt goes 5-7, ok so we’re tied so far. With wins over #11 UK and #21 Auburn. Nice wins. Going into his second year after the first four games he goes 1-3, against much easier competition. After his first 16 games, Pruitt is 6-10.

Already he is behind Butch in terms of wins, and his first four games this year is nothing compared to what Butch’s team faced in his first four games in his second year. Pruitt’s schedule doesn’t get any easier either.

Pruitt had an easy path to 3-1, and with how bad Florida has played he could’ve had a possible 4-0 start had he actually developed his players and not stuck with a lame duck QB.

Right now he’s staring down the barrel of 1-11, and if we go 1-11 I highly doubt he gets a third year.

But, but.... he’s an active coach!!! Or whatever JMS keeps yammering about.

Facts are meaningless to the man. If you’ve watched more than 15mins of UT football this year, it is pretty obvious we are a very poorly coached pile of garbage.

I remember Butch making penalties a priority and damned if we weren’t one of the least penalized teams in the country. Butch crapped his own bed but there were definitely some bright spots in his tenure.

Reactions: zydane47
How is Butch worse than Dooley? Dooley never had a winning season. Butch had 3.

I liked Dooley's (Chaney's) offense better, but Butch was clearly superior to Dooley and this fool we have running thr program now.

Between the culture issues, the consistent blowing games, and how he ran the program, Butch was awful. He was on the right track after year 3 but his fall was inexcusable.

Dooley made a bad staff hire in sunseri. That costed him his job. The Bray and Hunter injuries were a harsh circumstance for him in year 2 and Wilcox leaving most likely costed us 3-4 years in 2012. With that offense and somewhat formidable defense, we prolly win 8-10 games.

However bad Butch was, he still improved from season to season (until 2017). He went from 5 wins to 7 wins to two 9 win seasons in a row. There was a gradual progression there.

Pruitt is going to go from a 5 win season to the very real possibility of a 2 win season. The abysmal decisions by Pruitt in every facet of the game during gametime makes me think he is the worst coach in Tennessee history.

Between the culture issues, the consistent blowing games, and how he ran the program, Butch was awful. He was on the right track after year 3 but his fall was inexcusable.

Dooley made a bad staff hire in sunseri. That costed him his job. The Bray and Hunter injuries were a harsh circumstance for him in year 2 and Wilcox leaving most likely costed us 3-4 years in 2012. With that offense and somewhat formidable defense, we prolly win 8-10 games.
Fair enough. I still believe Butch was better, but I see where you're coming from. The Sunseri hire absolutely sunk Dooley. And Butch did lose control of the program. I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach look more miserable than he did his last year here.

Fair enough. I still believe Butch was better, but I see where you're coming from. The Sunseri hire absolutely sunk Dooley. And Butch did lose control of the program. I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach look more miserable than he did his last year here.

Being caught telling fans to F Off on national TV was not great.

Reactions: UTwild82
Well can you rank coaches as the best or worst against each other when 2 got fired and the other is currently coaching.

Because guess what? What happens if Pruitt thru 5 years has won a SEC title. Is he still gonna be the worst coach of all time at UT based on his first two seasons? That’s essentially what people are doing here. Guy could run off 20 wins and people would still say “well he should have an * by his name because of his first 16 games” lmaooo
Lol... Classic.

Here you go;

As of right now, Pruitt is among the worst coaches EVER at UT. Dude lost as a 25 point favorite to a near high school team.

Reactions: JoAllan

Lmao, if u really believe Pruitt is going to win 20 games total before he gets fired and a SEC title. I really hope he does, but come on, man. I really think Pruitt is a better football coach than Butch, but obviously, not a better head coach (hope that makes sense, it does to me). Any head coach at UT just can not lose the first game of the season to Georgia State, there is just no excuse for that.

Pruitt by a damn mile. I’ve been optimistic about every coaching staff except this one. Pruitt not making this job is sole focus, then questioning fan attendance at the O/W game. Never got the “real football coach” BS either. Teams are uninspired, not prepared, and rollover. The “Butch’s players” argument might hold water, but when you were 20 years old, how much effort would you have given for a coat-tail riding manager with zero credibility that’s done nothing but talk publicly about how bad you suck?

Best case scenario for us is Pruitt gets a major show cause like Tyndall for something that happened at UGA or Bama. fingers crossed.

The NCAA aint even got a file on us. Because if this is what cheatin' does for them, then God helps them if they clean it up.

zjcvols,If Jeremy Pruitt's record is worth his firing,then you would surmise that Johnny Majors should have been fired after his 4-7 season and 5-6 season,then a couple of 5-6 and 6-5seasons.He took over after Bill Battle had Tennessee's cupboard bare.Guess keeping him was a bad idea also?

Reactions: peerless98
zjcvols,If Jeremy Pruitt's record is worth his firing,then you would surmise that Johnny Majors should have been fired after his 4-7 season and 5-6 season,then a couple of 5-6 and 6-5seasons.He took over after Bill Battle had Tennessee's cupboard bare.Guess keeping him was a bad idea also?

No comparison to now man, that was a different time in football, now and days it’s not really all that hard to see how good a coach is, plus with all the transfer rules and what not, makes it easier to fix issues faster.

No coach be it saban, dabo or who ever will ever get more than four years if they have no progression, if Majors was coaching now and had those records he wouldn’t make it past year three

IMO, the saddest part about the Pruitt era will most likely be that we will never know how good we could have been with a good QB. His tenure will most likely end before we have one in place.

Well that’s what this thread is considering it’s comparing tenures of former coaches to 16 games of an active coach....

I’m not against your argument. However sometimes it doesn’t take “years” to know if you have the answer or not.

These teams are unprepared, they lack discipline, they lack motivation, they are Mia-aligned (at times).....I see nothing that says he “can” turn this around. I don’t want to see two more years of what I think is coming.

VN Store

Back