Outback bowl vs. Minnesota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see 3 variables here to watch:

1) Orange Bowl-Will they pick an SEC school?

2) Cotton Bowl-Will they pick an SEC school?

3) Texas A&M- How far will they drop in the SEC pecking order?

As a Vol fan you want #1 and #2 to happen. If one or both does then UT gets bumped up in the hierarchy of Bowl game tie ins. We need #1 and 2 to happen plus a knock down of Texas A&M for the Vols to make it to Orlando. Jerry Palm has #3 happening (Texas Bowl for A&M) but he does not have 1 and 2 happening hence our Vols drop to Music City

I see 3 variables here to watch:

1) Orange Bowl-Will they pick an SEC school?

2) Cotton Bowl-Will they pick an SEC school?

3) Texas A&M- How far will they drop in the SEC pecking order?

As a Vol fan you want #1 and #2 to happen. If one or both does then UT gets bumped up in the hierarchy of Bowl game tie ins. We need #1 and 2 to happen plus a knock down of Texas A&M for the Vols to make it to Orlando. Jerry Palm has #3 happening (Texas Bowl for A&M) but he does not have 1 and 2 happening hence our Vols drop to Music City
I think Texas A&M goes to the Texas Bowl

My goodness this is such a weak attitude.
Why would anyone want their opponent to be as motivated as possible? Is it weak that we don’t give everyone on our schedule locker room material every week?

If you beat a historically significant team it will still bring fond memories many years later. Beating Minnesota will not do that. All risk, little reward.

Our players have beaten mediocre opponents by making great plays to compensate for their own, numerous unforced errors. Maybe they would like a shot at a top ten team, even though they did not earn it. But what, besides nothing, do the players and fans have to say about it?

Why would anyone want their opponent to be as motivated as possible? Is it weak that we don’t give everyone on our schedule locker room material every week?

It’s a bowl game. A glorified exhibition.

Let’s hope for the best “show” possible.

I’d rather be fired up and on the edge of my seat than .....ho hum the Vols are playing Louisville in the Belk Bowl.

If we're pushed up to the Outback bowl, maybe they're trying to get a Texas vs aTm matchup in the Liberty bowl (I think this is the SEC bowl with a Big 12 tie in)

If you beat a historically significant team it will still bring fond memories many years later. Beating Minnesota will not do that. All risk, little reward.
So it would be better to play Nebraska than Minnesota this year?

It’s a bowl game. A glorified exhibition.

Let’s hope for the best “show” possible.

I’d rather be fired up and on the edge of my seat than .....ho hum the Vols are playing Louisville in the Belk Bowl.
I don’t know what that has to do with what I posted

That's next year. Don't put the horse before the cart. We've come a long way however we still have a long way to go
If this team were 9-3 as everyone damn well knows they should be...would you be saying that?? I doubt it.

The talent level on this Vols squad is plenty good enough to play with the Minnesota's, Penn State and Michigans of the college football world

The gophers are no pushover. Big offensive line, 2 good RB's, and 2 good WR's! They can and do hit big plays when their QB has time. The back end of their defense is very good bit think we could run on them as the front 7 is abit less than we've seen this year. All in all it would be a tough match up but i think we win just because PJ likes to try and give away games with some of his game decisions....i've watched them all year and still scatch my head over what he does sometimes! If we do play them.....we better blow em out otherwise I'd never hear the end of it from my GF and all her family! 😊

To be the man, you have to beat the man. GBO!

I am not opposed.
I wouldn't mind seeing this matchup, or penn st tbh... Some dont wanna play penn st but wanna minn when minn in fact beat penn st. Tenn is known for not being afraid to play anybody in the country and the time is now to get back to that.

I am not opposed. Just have not seen this team play a full game at that level, all year, so think it is a stretch.

If this team were 9-3 as everyone damn well knows they should be...would you be saying that?? I doubt it.

The talent level on this Vols squad is plenty good enough to play with the Minnesota's, Penn State and Michigans of the college football world

Not saying I would not like a top ten opponent, except for having every reason to think we would watch this team blow it with too many dumb mistakes.

Last edited:
You don’t care if we win, you just want it to be a good game. Yeah ok.

I care about both.

I’m just not overly concerned about a meaningless loss if it were to happen.

I’d rather chance a big win, than a sure win vs a snoozer.

To each his own.

Reactions: onevol74
Who cares if they’re fired up?

Who cares about locker room material?

It doesn’t count. It’s a show.
It does "count". I'm not sure what you mean.

Does every game stop counting after you are eliminated from the playoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back