Pruitt might not win COY

I have to agree with this sentiment. This team averted potential disaster and salvaged the season after that unforgivable 1-4 start. This team is still a long way from competing with the likes of Alabama, Georgia and LSU on a regular basis. Until recruiting takes a major step up you can expect nothing better than 7-8 wins each year.
I’d argue that we can consistently win 9 games with more depth. If we don’t blow the first two games we are sitting at 9 wins this morning.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
And last year’s team quit on Pruitt. This one did not. I agree that is an improvement. But as I believe you wrote in another thread, there’s a long way left to go. A bowl win would be a nice next step.

No question there’s a long way to go to get where we want to be but you have to pull positives when you have them and stay hungry. Pruitt is hungry and wants to find consistent success at a high level. This is clear with his comments about not having played a complete game yet. Yes, we did a lot of things well but we never truly put it all together on any given Saturday. If this team can find a way to do that in the bowl game the other team need not worry about winning.

Well thank you
Some of you guys can’t be pleased
Sorry to break it to you but fulmer won’t be our coach again
Merely pointing out how in the good old days 7 wins was fireable..now we celebrate it

I disagree with your definition of "compete". "Competing" means being well into the fourth quarter with a real chance to win the game, not hanging around until eventually succumbing by three touchdowns, like Vandy did last night.

Well ole Nick thought we competed. One play from going down 1 score with all the momentum. I disagree with you.

Well ole Nick thought we competed. One play from going down 1 score with all the momentum. I disagree with you.

Well, if Nick said we competed then I must be wrong. Nick would never just fall back to typical "coach speak" and say we competed to make his team look better.

Last edited:
Pruitt’s first two seasons have started off slow and unprepared, it’s on him and his staff.
Won 6 of 7 to finish. Kudos to the coaches and players for not letting the adversity take them down permanently. I have more respect for someone who fights thru rock bottom and wins 5 in a row. Helluva job by Pruitt and the staff.

Yep
Times were way worse this time around
We won against teams we weren’t beating last year or the year before ...... Unfortunately for you we improved this year so your fire Pruitt agenda will not work right now
Actually is was 5 wins not 7

I disagree. While I’ve been very happy with the defense and the intensity this team played with down the stretch...Pruitts unwillingness to have a legit qb competition and have anyone ready to play except Jg cost us significantly this year. And there are more questionable personnel decisions other than just at qb. Grey looked to be explosive from his first carry of the season yet we rarely saw him until tonight. And we were way too conservative at times. Watching bama/ua and LSU (amongst other today in the conference) should let us know just how far we still have to go. We should’ve absolutely boat raced vandy today. But we settled for a time of possession/mange the game style today. Good teams don’t do that. Especially when playing a terrible team. We have a long ways to go. But a good start would be to have a legit qb competition this offseason. Also, get some damn recruits in the door
Since our defense can now at least see the corner I’m glad Pruitt is playing conservative. We saw at Bama what a turnover can mean. He knows our defense can hold our opponents to a number our offense can beat.
JG provided the least chance of disaster and I’m not sure the the cobwebs are cleared from Mauer.
And finally, having sat through the game, and through the two delays, this team demonstrated tremendous concentration with their eye on the prize.....punishing Candy physically

Just for the record South Carolina beat Ga.....were not that far off
I hope youre right....We've suffered long enough.....But our 5 SEC wins were against teams that werent as good as they were last year...otherwise our record would probably match last yrs..We only played 3 good teams this year and they all beat us badly...I just want to compete again...Surely we will beat Florida next year and not just beat teams with inferior talent..(which is what happened this year) ..GO VOLS!!

I hope youre right....We've suffered long enough.....But our 5 SEC wins were against teams that werent as good as they were last year...otherwise our record would probably match last yrs..We only played 3 good teams this year and they all beat us badly...I just want to compete again...Surely we will beat Florida next year and not just beat teams with inferior talent..(which is what happened this year) ..GO VOLS!!
If’s statements are worthless and irrelevant.
We will knock off at least one from Georgia, Florida or Alabama.

Reactions: feathersax
I have to agree with this sentiment. This team averted potential disaster and salvaged the season after that unforgivable 1-4 start. This team is still a long way from competing with the likes of Alabama, Georgia and LSU on a regular basis. Until recruiting takes a major step up you can expect nothing better than 7-8 wins each year.
Coaching has nothing to do with success then and it is 100% recruiting ?

Coaching has nothing to do with success then and it is 100% recruiting ?
"Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 260 lb. tackles. They'll give me plenty of wisdom"-Chuck Noll

Chuck Noll was a pro coach from a different and far lighter weight time, but the point is the same. You need the "Jimmies and the Joes" to compete.

Well, if Nick said we competed then I must be wrong. Nick would never just fall back to typical "coach speak" and say we competed to make his team look better.

So if we pulled within 1 score in the 4th that's not competing? It must be getting a little harder to bash the team now for all who threw em under the bus. Dig a little deeper in the well boys I'm sure y'all will come up something.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
So if we pulled within 1 score in the 4th that's not competing? It must be getting a little harder to bash the team now for all who threw em under the bus. Dig a little deeper in the well boys I'm sure y'all will come up something.
Okay, now we are dealing in hypotheticals and things that did not actually happen. If we pulled within 8 well within the 4th quarter that would be competing. What actually happened was our quarterback had a brain fart, fumbled into the end zone and Alabama ran the fumble back for a touchdown. Game over all on just one play and the final margin of three touchdowns. Don't stop pumping that sunshine if it gets you through the off-season and makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Defense looks *really* strong. Offense is still inconsistent but improving. I mean, a goal line stand to prevent a touchdown at Missouri? Name a time in the last decade that's happened. (I mean, it may have, but I don't remember it.) The defense looks really, really, good.

VN Store

Back