Josh Dobbs

Steeler's mangmnt is lost. Had L.Jones signed to big contract, drafted Dobbs then Rudolph now playing an undrafted free agent. Tell the Roonies to pay attention when the Ravens and their scrambling QB curb-stomp them again. They'd had a better record if Dobb's woulda stayed and played instead of Rudolph. Speaking of Rudolph.....Merry Christmas.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Lol calm down Nancy. Fact is, he’s 3rd string in Jacksonville behind foles and a rookie. And that’s after he got beat out in Pittsburgh by mason Rudolph and traded away. Those are just facts, it’s not trashing him.
I think he's questioning there decision to promote Mason Rudolph above him, which I would say is a valid argument after seeing Mason Rudolph in action.

Dobbs has played in 1 NFL regular season game in which he threw the ball more than twice.

I don’t think anyone knows what he “could” do, how accurate he “could” be, or anything.

His teams simply feel his value is less than others they have available.

Who knows, but the window for his football future is getting smaller. I doubt the Jags will want to continue to pay (for very long) 600k (this year) and 735k next for a practice player (who they could pay 135k).

Steeler's mangmnt is lost. Had L.Jones signed to big contract, drafted Dobbs then Rudolph now playing an undrafted free agent. Tell the Roonies to pay attention when the Ravens and their scrambling QB curb-stomp them again. They'd had a better record if Dobb's woulda stayed and played instead of Rudolph. Speaking of Rudolph.....Merry Christmas.
Losing by 3 points is being curb stomped? And that loss was only because of JuJu's fumble.

Won't even get into Landry's "big contract".

I hope Josh gets a chance someday, but I wouldn't hold my breath. On a given Sunday, there are 32 men in this universe that get a chance to be a starting NFL quarterback.

Luckily, he's a borderline genius that's likely making good use of his 600k annual salary and he'll still have all his marbles later on when he decides to be a rocket surgeon or whatever he wants to do.

Awesome guy and in my 30+ years of Vol fandom he was was my favorite QB not named Peyton.

I kind of miss @dobbs4heisman. Anyone know what happened to that crazy cat?

Josh Dobbs is a young aerospace engineer who is currently having an NFL experience, and for that I'm sure he is happy and grateful. He has, and will, excel in everything he puts effort into. However, he won't be spending his future Sundays entertaining us on a football field.

He is too slow to pull off in the NFL what he did in college.

That's not his issue. Dobb's strength when running was his elusiveness. He made people miss that shouldn't have. He was deceptive in that when running he didn't look like he was going all out. In a sense, he looked like he was either jogging or maybe galloping but then blew by you. The other thing is he's bigger than he looks and could bull through arm tackles and push CBs and safeties for extra yardage. As a pro, will they let him do that? Dunno.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
That's not his issue. Dobb's strength when running was his elusiveness. He made people miss that shouldn't have. He was deceptive in that when running he didn't look like he was going all out. In a sense, he looked like he was either jogging or maybe galloping but then blew by you. The other thing is he's bigger than he looks and could bull through arm tackles and push CBs and safeties for extra yardage. As a pro, will they let him do that? Dunno.
Not saying he is the same but he was similar to Kamara regarding his effortless running style and production. A threat every play.

This so true. And during the Missouri game it struck me that Jennings is similar that way. However, when Jennings is running the "target" is one dimensional, whereas Dobbs had the element of surprise on his side. Both don't have blazing speed, but, are big strong runners and don't fall down on initial contact.

Stated this in another post. He is a gamer. I hope he gets a chance to start 2 or 3 games in a row and I believe he would produce positive results but I realize that may never happen. I did not state he has not had a chance but sometimes players are not given a chance because there may be bias against them that they are not good to begin with with but they actually may surprise if given a chance to play in a game.
You think Josh Dobbs hasn't been given the chance because there may be bias against him?

You think Josh Dobbs hasn't been given the chance because there may be bias against him?
I think some players and maybe Dobbs do not get a real chance because they do not fill all the boxes that coaches believe are needed to make a good football player.

I think some players and maybe Dobbs do not get a real chance because they do not fill all the boxes that coaches believe are needed to make a good football player.
Interesting, well can't argue with this. Josh Dobbs just needs to go somewhere that he isn't being discriminated against for not being able to read a defense. Hopefully some place will give him that chance. Whether or not Josh Dobbs plays another single down of meaningful football in the NFL, I'd say he's done very well for himself. The only reason most of you insist that he has earned the right to start in this league is because he's one of our beloved Vol legends, but unfortunately being our golden boy doesn't equate to being a starting caliber QB in the NFL.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I kind of miss @dobbs4heisman. Anyone know what happened to that crazy cat?
I long suspected he was not really a Vol fan but someone that stumbled across this board and got some kicks out if yanking everyone's chain.

I mean, I am a huge Dobbs fan and rank him much higher on the list of Vol QBs than most, but some of the stuff he/she posted was ludicrous/hilarious. And sooo many people always took the bait. It was obvious to me that he/she didn't believe most of the stuff that was posted but every thread went on for 5-10 pages. He/she was pretty entertaining.

I think he's questioning there decision to promote Mason Rudolph above him, which I would say is a valid argument after seeing Mason Rudolph in action.

A valid argument based on what exactly? Where is all this game experience for dobbs that you’ve seen to show he’s so much better than Rudolph that the Steelers regret trading him? The Steelers actually seen him for years and know what he can do, and they decided to send him to the jags. Which btw, decided he’s not as good of an option as nick foles or rookie Gardner minshew.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
There may be a thread on this already. The Steelers have benched Mason Rudolph. I bet they are regretting the decision to trade Dobbs.

I bet they aren't. Rudolph sucks but Dobb was regressing and had one more year of experience. And I don't know if you noticed but Hodges has performed better than Dobbs did in his one shot at real playing time.

People need to stop romantizing about Dobbs; he's a 3rd string QB in Jax for a reason. There's no reason he can't be a long term backup but dude isn't going to ever be a full time starter in the NFL.

VN Store

Back