Josh Dobbs

They need to watch film of his UT career to see what he can do. He is a gamer and winner IMO.

You don't think they've ever seen film of him at UT? And hate to break it to you but college football success doesn't mean he'll do well in the NFL. There are a ton of examples of that.

Reactions: 615vols
You are both out of your minds. I’ve seen both slower and smaller QBs start for NFL teams and have success. To be honest, I think more of an NFL QBs success has to do with their supporting cast, namely their offensive line. There are very few NFL QBs that have the physical skillset to carry a bad team. Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahommes (sp) and a few others come to mind but the rest of the QBs aren’t separated by much. It’s more about the players they are surrounded with and the coaching.

And yet no team is falling over themselves to get him and he's a 3rd string QB in Jax. If you don't think there's a reason for that, you're out of your mind.

And yet no team is falling over themselves to get him and he's a 3rd string QB in Jax. If you don't think there's a reason for that, you're out of your mind.
3 words/letters..........................XFL!
or
4 Words/letters..........................NASA!

Reactions: MemphisVol77
“Homer”, wanting to pick a fight ? I think Dobbs is a playmaker, class act and a leader. I hope he will get a chance in a game to show that one day. I do pull for Tn players in the NFL and have actually some of the teams become my favorite team( examples- Colts, Bronco’s and the Saints now with Kamara). I’m a Tn player homer and proud of it.

He did, against the Raiders. It did not go well. Hodges looks better than Dobbs did in a real game.

Interesting, well can't argue with this. Josh Dobbs just needs to go somewhere that he isn't being discriminated against for not being able to read a defense. Hopefully some place will give him that chance. Whether or not Josh Dobbs plays another single down of meaningful football in the NFL, I'd say he's done very well for himself. The only reason most of you insist that he has earned the right to start in this league is because he's one of our beloved Vol legends, but unfortunately being our golden boy doesn't equate to being a starting caliber QB in the NFL.
You are putting words in my mouth. I did not say he has earned the right to start. I’m hoping he gets a chance to start for an NFL team someday. I believe he has intangibles to be a good Qb at that level.

I bet they aren't. Rudolph sucks but Dobb was regressing and had one more year of experience. And I don't know if you noticed but Hodges has performed better than Dobbs did in his one shot at real playing time.

People need to stop romantizing about Dobbs; he's a 3rd string QB in Jax for a reason. There's no reason he can't be a long term backup but dude isn't going to ever be a full time starter in the NFL.
I bet Dobbs is better than the undrafted Qb who is now the Steelers Qb.

I think he's questioning there decision to promote Mason Rudolph above him, which I would say is a valid argument after seeing Mason Rudolph in action.

I doubt he is since Dobbs is 3rd string with Jax. Some of you might have an actual argument if Dobbs went to Jax and started doing well, but he's never going to see the field there.

It's just weird that with Dobbs there always seems to be some excuse or just weird bad luck; when the reality is the people that see him every day in practice, in preseason, and in the film room keep determining that he's a backup QB. Also while we're all in "what if" mode here, there's also the chance if Pitt kept him that he'd be doing just as bad or even worse. You can't just assume because of bias that Dobbs would be doing better.

Around here Dobbs is going to go down as the best QB in NFL history that somehow never got a shot.

He's too small also. Having seen him at a number of alumni events on campus over the past couple years, i was amazed at how slender he still is. If he were to try play an extended period in the NFL and getting hit on a regular basis while running, he wouldn't last long without getting injured.

Drew Brees, Russel Wilson, Baker Mayfield,Kyler Murray are all smaller than Dobbs, and they make it. Dobbs may not have the accuracy to be an nfl starter but he has the size.

He did, against the Raiders. It did not go well. Hodges looks better than Dobbs did in a real game.
I believe Dobbs was decent in the preseason games he participated in during his tenure with the Steelers. I also remember him coming in for Big Ben one play last year and converted a big 3rd down play which helped the Steeler’s clinch a victory. I’m not aware of the details regarding the Raiders game.

3 words/letters..........................XFL!
or
4 Words/letters..........................NASA!

He'll make way more as a 3rd string QB in the NFL than he would has a starter in the XFL. Something tells me if the day comes that he can't stick with a team as a 3rd stringer that he'll move on.

He'll make way more as a 3rd string QB in the NFL than he would has a starter in the XFL. Something tells me if the day comes that he can't stick with a team as a 3rd stringer that he'll move on.
I know, but if wants to play, he could do what Tommy Maddox did.

He had his chances with Pitt during the last 2 preseasons, 8 different preseason games to show what he could do and win the backup job, but he couldn’t do it. Now he’s in Jacksonville, and he’s not the backup there either, he’s on the practice squad. He is what he is.
Yeah, but what about Dobbs 4 Heisman? That guy knew it all!

I believe Dobbs was decent in the preseason games he participated in during his tenure with the Steelers. I also remember him coming in for Big Ben one play last year and converted a big 3rd down play which helped the Steeler’s clinch a victory. I’m not aware of the details regarding the Raiders game.

Lol, so basically you're admitting you're arguing from emotion and not reality since you seem to not even really know the facts of what Dobbs has done in the NFL.

Steelers vs. Raiders - Box Score - December 9, 2018 - ESPN

Dobbs had to take over for BR at halftime and proceeded to go 4/9 for 27 yards and an interception and an injured BR actually went back in because hurt he was still a better option. And lol on the 3rd down in the Ravens game that helped the Steelers clinch a victory....there was 12:00 left in the 4th quarter when that happened. Again, romanticizing what he's done in the NFL.

Losing by 3 points is being curb stomped? And that loss was only because of JuJu's fumble.

Won't even get into Landry's "big contract".
Yeah my bad on the use of "again." Couldn't recall the score. I was Browns and then Ravens fan since my teenage years and know the Steelers history. Im' surrounded by a lot of their fans and they've had the upper-hand forever it seems. A lot of things have attributed to their down year and their ownership will right the ship.

Based on my belief that Dobbs has shown the ability in his career to be a playmaker who can avoid pressure. I believe he could be a Lamar Jackson type player.

In college he did. After 3 years in the NFL, he's hasn't. And nobody has to let him start 10 games to determine that. Nobody has let me start at QB in the NFL, maybe I'm the best player ever they just don't know about.

Lol calm down Nancy. Fact is, he’s 3rd string in Jacksonville behind foles and a rookie. And that’s after he got beat out in Pittsburgh by mason Rudolph and traded away. Those are just facts, it’s not trashing him.
To be fair, he was traded to back up because Foles got hurt. It’s rare a QB gets traded during the season and is able to get a handle on the playbook and timing with a completely new offense.

Lol, so basically you're admitting you're arguing from emotion and not reality since you seem to not even really know the facts of what Dobbs has done in the NFL.

Steelers vs. Raiders - Box Score - December 9, 2018 - ESPN

Dobbs had to take over for BR at halftime and proceeded to go 4/9 for 27 yards and an interception and an injured BR actually went back in because hurt he was still a better option. And lol on the 3rd down in the Ravens game that helped the Steelers clinch a victory....there was 12:00 left in the 4th quarter when that happened. Again, romanticizing what he's done in the NFL.
I believe he can be a good Qb based on that fact that he is one of my favorite Vol players and I believe he has the intangibles to do so. Whether he does or not is unknown. You are overarguing my posts. It really is not a big deal, just my opinion. Relax !

Dang some of y’all think you’re “keeping it real,” by trashing Dobbs but remember he wasn’t a practice guy in college but rather a gamer. I would take him over Baker mayfield any day. More mature, bigger and less drama. I say let him get some games to show. Not like Pittsburgh has a chance this year anyway. Oh well he’s gone now.

Side note if I was a player viewing this board and seeing these “fans” trash me I wouldn’t sign not one damn autograph. Some of y’all are hilarious. Worship a guy when he’s here and soon as he leaves trash him smh. Fickle. But oh I forgot your just “telling it how it is.”

That you, Butch?? Stfu

In college he did. After 3 years in the NFL, he's hasn't. And nobody has to let him start 10 games to determine that. Nobody has let me start at QB in the NFL, maybe I'm the best player ever they just don't know about.
Relax Francis, it is just my opinion. Hope you have a Great Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas!

Yeah, but what about Dobbs 4 Heisman? That guy knew it all!
Never thought I'd miss a poster on a football forum but he had a way of riling us up at times. Doesn't seem like the type to just quit posting. I'd hate to think he's in prison. Can't think of another reason but I'm sure other reasons exist.

Reactions: CA_Vol
I believe he can be a good Qb based on that fact that he is one of my favorite Vol players and I believe he has the intangibles to do so. Whether he does or not is unknown. You are overarguing my posts. It really is not a big deal, just my opinion. Relax !

I'm not overarguing anything; if you're going to post on a messageboard and throw your opinon out and be pretty adament about it, be prepared to defend it

VN Store

Back