Josh Dobbs

He is too slow to pull off in the NFL what he did in college.

I think it's less about speed and more about physicality. Dobbs was sneaky strong when he ran in college. Arms tackles couldn't bring him down and in the NFL he would get demolished if he tried some of that. To me he'd be more a runner like Prescott. He can pick up yards with his legs but he can't rely on it.

You are both out of your minds. I’ve seen both slower and smaller QBs start for NFL teams and have success. To be honest, I think more of an NFL QBs success has to do with their supporting cast, namely their offensive line. There are very few NFL QBs that have the physical skillset to carry a bad team. Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahommes (sp) and a few others come to mind but the rest of the QBs aren’t separated by much. It’s more about the players they are surrounded with and the coaching.
If only the two teams he's played for over the past 4 years and the other 31 who missed their chance to draft him had your insights. Obviously he's a guaranteed winning QB who's never been recogized by anyone in the NFL.

D4H / Nationdom? Where are you? This thread has been begging you to come and save the day? Why have you disappeared when we need you the most?

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Dang some of y’all think you’re “keeping it real,” by trashing Dobbs but remember he wasn’t a practice guy in college but rather a gamer. I would take him over Baker mayfield any day. More mature, bigger and less drama. I say let him get some games to show. Not like Pittsburgh has a chance this year anyway. Oh well he’s gone now.

Side note if I was a player viewing this board and seeing these “fans” trash me I wouldn’t sign not one damn autograph. Some of y’all are hilarious. Worship a guy when he’s here and soon as he leaves trash him smh. Fickle. But oh I forgot your just “telling it how it is.”
So, telling the truth and “keeping it real”is wrong and is pissing you and real football players off. Lol. Btw, I couldn’t possibly care less about anything in this life than getting someone’s, especially a college football player’s autograph. Happy Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Titan05 and 08Vol
Why? Because Mayfield is really tearing it up so much this year?
Lol. Lemme think.....yeah, I think he is. 14 touchdown passes this year, 2700+ yards.....which is 14 touchdown passes and 2700+ more yards than Dobbs. Baker also set the all-time rookie record for td passes last year. Mayfield is a starting QB for an NFL team, while Josh is on his second practice squad, first Pittsburgh and now Jacksonville.

So yeah, in comparison to Josh this year, and damn near any QB in the league last year, Mayfield is “tearing it up”.

He had his chances with Pitt during the last 2 preseasons, 8 different preseason games to show what he could do and win the backup job, but he couldn’t do it. Now he’s in Jacksonville, and he’s not the backup there either, he’s on the practice squad. He is what he is.
One of the few times I agree with KB. That being said. Dobbs is a gamer. If he does get a shot. Look out.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
So, telling the truth and “keeping it real”is wrong and is pissing you and real football players off. Lol. Btw, I couldn’t possibly care less about anything in this life than getting someone’s, especially a college football player’s autograph. Happy Thanksgiving.
yeah alright

They need to watch film of his UT career to see what he can do. He is a gamer and winner IMO.
You don't think they watched film of Dobbs? Really? They have the best talent analysts with the best tools, and as others have stated (not that it should have been necessary as it is obvious), Dobbs spent 2 preseasons and a season with them. And he clearly hasnt wowed in hos new assignment. So, Homer, you still think your opinion should have been translated into typing nonsense into the www?

Reactions: 08Vol
You don't think they watched film of Dobbs? Really? They have the best talent analysts with the best tools, and as others have stated (not that it should have been necessary as it is obvious), Dobbs spent 2 preseasons and a season with them. And he clearly hasnt wowed in hos new assignment. So, Homer, you still think your opinion should have been translated into typing nonsense into the www?
“Homer”, wanting to pick a fight ? I think Dobbs is a playmaker, class act and a leader. I hope he will get a chance in a game to show that one day. I do pull for Tn players in the NFL and have actually some of the teams become my favorite team( examples- Colts, Bronco’s and the Saints now with Kamara). I’m a Tn player homer and proud of it.

Last edited:
“Homer”, wanting to pick a fight ? I think Dobbs is a playmaker, class act and a leader. I hope he will get a chance in a game to show that one day. I do pull for Tn players in the NFL and have actually some if the teams become my favorite team( examples- Colts, Bronco’s and the Saints now with Kamara). I’m a Tn player homer and proud of it.
I agree. Dobbs is a class act and leader. None of that has anything to do with whether he can be a starting or backup QB in the NFL. Thinking that our feelings and opinions on this specific matter have any relevance considering what has transpired with Dobbs is immature and Homerish.

“Homer”, wanting to pick a fight ? I think Dobbs is a playmaker, class act and a leader. I hope he will get a chance in a game to show that one day. I do pull for Tn players in the NFL and have actually some of the teams become my favorite team( examples- Colts, Bronco’s and the Saints now with Kamara). I’m a Tn player homer and proud of it.
Why do you suggest he hasn't had a chance? I like Dobbs and he is a wonderful person and ambassador for this University, but he isn't being held back from starting in the NFL for some reason.

If only the two teams he's played for over the past 4 years and the other 31 who missed their chance to draft him had your insights. Obviously he's a guaranteed winning QB who's never been recogized by anyone in the NFL.
Sometimes gamers may not look like much until they are in the game. Good Qb’s are good more because of the skills they have in the noggin rather than their physical skills.

Why do you suggest he hasn't had a chance? I like Dobbs and he is a wonderful person and ambassador for this University, but he isn't being held back from starting in the NFL for some reason.
Stated this in another post. He is a gamer. I hope he gets a chance to start 2 or 3 games in a row and I believe he would produce positive results but I realize that may never happen. I did not state he has not had a chance but sometimes players are not given a chance because there may be bias against them that they are not good to begin with with but they actually may surprise if given a chance to play in a game.

Last edited:
He's a guy who just needs the right shot on the right team. Pitt was foolish to cut him loose, especially looking at how running qb's are thriving now. There's definitely a few teams he could be starting for right now.
Sad but true.....luck seems to have more to do with it than skill with these back-ups. Hell some set the world on fire for a season, get a good contract and then defenses learn them. Mahomes last year, now L.Jackson. Prior to that Mariotta, C.Wentz, J.Goff. Best get one steady guy and stick it out. Dobbs biggest advantage was avoiding the rush, which means side-stepping a lot of possible injuries. I think the Steelers made a mistake again. I look for them to join the Bengals soon.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back