We're Done With Tiger High After 2020

Good. Penny Hardaway's "screw rules, screw all of you, I'm Penny Hardaway and I do what I want" antics are moronic. He's an unpleasant arrogant little brat and he can go be an unpleasant arrogant little brat over with the rest of his crew in Memphis.

'course, I'd be interested in the betting odds on Penny even being the coach after 2020. His track record for pissing on everyone and everything makes me wonder how long he'll last.

I would like to see them keep playing each other, makes for some exciting games. This isn't football, midmajor in basketball is very different.
midmajor is midmajor, there is a reason that they have been owned by us in every sport and have never won any titles outside of CUSA/AAC type trash

Memphis used to be in a conference with Va Tech, South Carolina, FSU, Louisville, Ga Tech (Metro). All of these schools got promoted up to the big time while Memphis has been stuck in mid major alphabet soup conference name purgatory...

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Here is a transcript of Penny and the NCAA back when Penny tried to get academically eligible in the early 90s

NCAA: "Penny, with your grades, we will have to apply Proposition 48"

Penny: "Why are you putting hemorrhoid cream on me?"

Reactions: butchna
I’ve never felt the Vols gain one thing from playing Memphis in any sport. What happened last year is a good example of getting “soiled “ playing this game. I would much rather play a big time program home and home.
I think with the geography and demographics of the state, Tennessee stands to gain exposure in west TN, as well as middle TN with the current format. I like the idea of playing Memphis on a rotating basis in the three distinct areas of our state to give all fans an opportunity to see their state university live in action.

And not that Memphis has been kind to us from a recruiting standpoint, it still doesn’t hurt to have a footprint in that area, just in case.

All that said, I still think Memphis clearly gains more from playing Tennessee than vice-versa, and I believe that Barnes is attempting to show Hardaway that by not renewing the series. I hate to see it end because I love the instate rivalry, but if Barnes is choosing this route because of Penny and his attitude toward Barnes and Tennessee, then I can understand and support it. I just hope they pick it back up when Penny is gone. I think it is good for the state as a whole. That 08 was the best Tennessee basketball game I have ever witnessed and it was the biggest sporting event in the country on that day.

Last edited:
I fully support this decision. I said something similar in another thread this was posted, but Tennessee and Rick Barnes don't stand to gain all that much by playing this rivalry. Historically, we don't recruit well in Memphis. I don't believe a single game at Tiger High once every 3-years will make a difference. I also don't think dealing with Penny Hardaway is worth Barnes' time either. Barnes is one of the most respected coaches in the game, and to personally attack him last year was classless. Also, considering there is now factual evidence proving what everyone already knew--that Penny cheats--just further adds fuel to the fire of understanding why this series isn't worth Tennessee's time. Go play another major program like Texas, Duke, UNC, Michigan, etc. So many potential awesome opportunities.

With the way Rick Barnes and staff are recruiting, I don't think Penny would want to renew. Going to likely be a loss for them with the way RB develops his players. Penny relies on sheer talent. I'm ok with waiting until the tourney each year to beat them. ;)

A lot of people in this thread really dislike Penny, Tiger High and the city of Memphis... which is, of course, precisely why we should continue playing this rivalry.

Reactions: OG.V83

VN Store

Back