We're Done With Tiger High After 2020

I think with the geography and demographics of the state, Tennessee stands to gain exposure in west TN, as well as middle TN with the current format. I like the idea of playing Memphis on a rotating basis in the three distinct areas of our state to give all fans an opportunity to see their state university live in action.

And not that Memphis has been kind to us from a recruiting standpoint, it still doesn’t hurt to have a footprint in that area, just in case.

All that said, I still think Memphis clearly gains more from playing Tennessee than vice-versa, and I believe that Barnes is attempting to show Hardaway that by not renewing the series. I hate to see it end because I love the instate rivalry, but if Barnes is choosing this route because of Penny and his attitude toward Barnes and Tennessee, then I can understand and support it. I just hope they pick it back up when Penny is gone. I think it is good for the state as a whole. That 08 was the best Tennessee basketball game I have ever witnessed and it was the biggest sporting event in the country on that day.

I certainly understand your points and mostly agree. I do not necessary agree with the recruiting aspect. Being from the western part of Tennessee my entire life I just think its hard to effectively recruit the Memphis area regardless. And as I've said many times the raw number of recruits that we should be interested in taking from the Memphis area is rather small especially having CRB running the program. He will only take a certain type of kid which I personally appreciate. Memphis IMO has gone down a different road by hiring PH and are still trying to feel their way through this. I do fear that their program will in the long run take a hit because of it. Memphis DEFINITELY wants to continue the series but I think we just need to let Memphis roll along on a different track than we are on. I think the Vols in the long run will greatly benefit scheduling a consistently national contending program in the Tiger slot. JMO of course.

As a West TN VOL fan I enjoy watching live our VOLS play every couple of years in Mempho.

I had an absolute blast going to the Memphis game last year, just as I'll enjoy meeting them in "neutral" territory next December (to say nothing of coming back to Knoxville for this year's meeting). It's a great opportunity for fans across every Grand Division to see the state's preeminent team play a hated opponent with relative frequency, and I truly don't understand wanting to kill the series just because Penny's kind of a prick.

Last edited:
Reactions: griffdog14
A lot of people in this thread really dislike Penny, Tiger High and the city of Memphis... which is, of course, precisely why we should continue playing this rivalry.

SEC-affiliation aside, we have a rivalry with Kentucky and Calipari has never once personally insulted Barnes or taken a shot at the university. As much as I dislike Kentucky, at least Calipari seems to have some genuine respect for his opponents and keeps things above the belt.

Also, and just my personal opinion, with it being crystal clear now that Memphis is paying players that is yet another reason why we shouldn't give them the stage. Until Penny is gone, I don't see any reason why wee should give an American Conference high school the time of day, especially considering their coach conducts himself in an unprofessional and frankly childish manner.

don't care, not worth the hassle...maybe it'll start again after Penny is fired...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

I certainly understand your points and mostly agree. I do not necessary agree with the recruiting aspect. Being from the western part of Tennessee my entire life I just think its hard to effectively recruit the Memphis area regardless. And as I've said many times the raw number of recruits that we should be interested in taking from the Memphis area is rather small especially having CRB running the program. He will only take a certain type of kid which I personally appreciate. Memphis IMO has gone down a different road by hiring PH and are still trying to feel their way through this. I do fear that their program will in the long run take a hit because of it. Memphis DEFINITELY wants to continue the series but I think we just need to let Memphis roll along on a different track than we are on. I think the Vols in the long run will greatly benefit scheduling a consistently national contending program in the Tiger slot. JMO of course.
You make good points, and I noted our modest recruiting success in Memphis, but I’m not sure that is good reason to completely abandon the idea of maintaining a small presence there, entirely. Kennedy Chandler is someone we have an excellent chance to land out of Memphis in 2021, and is one of 6 Memphis kids in the top 100. If we were talking about recruiting the city of Philadelphia, for example, I could understand just focusing on other areas entirely. However, with Memphis being within our state borders, I think it is important to maintain a presence, even if just a cursory, low-key footprint. One way to do that is to play a game in Memphis every few years. This also doubles as a goodwill gesture to our fan base in the western part of the state.

I would love to see a home and home series in the future with Virginia or Virginia Tech to replace Memphis.

Virginia is close enough where a couple of games against CTB would be a terrific coaching match up and it helps recruiting in Virginia.

I would love to see a home and home series in the future with Virginia or Virginia Tech to replace Memphis.

Virginia is close enough where a couple of games against CTB would be a terrific coaching match up and it helps recruiting in Virginia.
A series with Louisville who is becoming a powerhouse once again would be nice also

I think with the geography and demographics of the state, Tennessee stands to gain exposure in west TN, as well as middle TN with the current format. I like the idea of playing Memphis on a rotating basis in the three distinct areas of our state to give all fans an opportunity to see their state university live in action.

And not that Memphis has been kind to us from a recruiting standpoint, it still doesn’t hurt to have a footprint in that area, just in case.

All that said, I still think Memphis clearly gains more from playing Tennessee than vice-versa, and I believe that Barnes is attempting to show Hardaway that by not renewing the series. I hate to see it end because I love the instate rivalry, but if Barnes is choosing this route because of Penny and his attitude toward Barnes and Tennessee, then I can understand and support it. I just hope they pick it back up when Penny is gone. I think it is good for the state as a whole. That 08 was the best Tennessee basketball game I have ever witnessed and it was the biggest sporting event in the country on that day.
I agree with your post, and I also appreciate your willingness last week to call a poster out on the most egregious post I have seen on here. Thank you.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Good. Penny Hardaway's "screw rules, screw all of you, I'm Penny Hardaway and I do what I want" antics are moronic. He's an unpleasant arrogant little brat and he can go be an unpleasant arrogant little brat over with the rest of his crew in Memphis.

'course, I'd be interested in the betting odds on Penny even being the coach after 2020. His track record for pissing on everyone and everything makes me wonder how long he'll last.
Mempus thanks he is god down here! He will be there as long as he wants to!

I completely understand why some people want to keep the rivalry, but it's encouraging to see so many Tennessee fans are noticing what this rivalry is dangerously close to becoming. It's one thing to have a good ole fashioned hard-fought, bare-knuckle fight where the games are intense, and there is some banter between the schools, but the way Penny conducts himself is childish and there are so many other programs I'd rather see us focus on playing. I've seen enough Tennessee-Memphis and not enough Tennessee-Duke, Tennessee-Virginia, Tennessee-Michigan, etc. I like diversifying the NC schedule. Not to mention Memphis is 6 hours from Knoxville, which is further than a lot of other fertile recruiting grounds, so even though it's technically in the state borders, it definitely feels like it's in an entirely different part of the country.

P.S. Plus I saw Wes Rucker say Tennessee "owes" it to the state to play this game annually, which rubbed me the wrong way. Tennessee doesn't owe anyone anything.

You make good points, and I noted our modest recruiting success in Memphis, but I’m not sure that is good reason to completely abandon the idea of maintaining a small presence there, entirely. Kennedy Chandler is someone we have an excellent chance to land out of Memphis in 2021, and is one of 6 Memphis kids in the top 100. If we were talking about recruiting the city of Philadelphia, for example, I could understand just focusing on other areas entirely. However, with Memphis being within our state borders, I think it is important to maintain a presence, even if just a cursory, low-key footprint. One way to do that is to play a game in Memphis every few years. This also doubles as a goodwill gesture to our fan base in the western part of the state.
Certainly agree about Kennedy Chandler. He would be one of the few I was referring to. Great kid from a great family. Ole Miss may pose a huge threat for us but maybe he and Pablo (sp) will want to play together with the Vols. That would be an outstanding recruiting victory.

Reactions: cardvolfan
The purpose of scheduling basketball games is to sell tickets and entertain. This is one of the most exciting games on the schedule and should be played every season. If you don't like Penny's antics, beat him on the court. Who cares what he says. Penny will not be there forever and neither will Barnes.

I agree with your post, and I also appreciate your willingness last week to call a poster out on the most egregious post I have seen on here. Thank you.
No problem. I will always call an ace an ace and a spade a spade. He deserved to be called out for it. No place for an adult to talk to another adult like that, ever.

Reactions: cardvolfan
As an alumni of both schools, I’d like to continue the series. As a Vols fan first and foremost, I recognize continuing the series is not in our program’s best interest.

VN Store

Back