Zay

When I saw this on the news 17(Nashville) scrolling banner this morning, it crossed my mine, well hell, this seems to happen an awful lot to key players on our women's team. Why? I thought. So I ask we on VolNation WHY. Is it just dumb luck, bad footwork, weak knees on many players, not enough strength training for knees ( if there is such a thing and if not there should be) or is it the fact the players this seems to happen to handle the ball more, thereby more chance of injury. What ever WELL HELL!

Somehow I missed when or how this happened. Can someone tell me.

Reactions: RollerVol
When I saw this on the news 17(Nashville) scrolling banner this morning, it crossed my mine, well hell, this seems to happen an awful lot to key players on our women's team. Why? I thought. So I ask we on VolNation WHY. Is it just dumb luck, bad footwork, weak knees on many players, not enough strength training for knees ( if there is such a thing and if not there should be) or is it the fact the players this seems to happen to handle the ball more, thereby more chance of injury. What ever WELL HELL!

Best information I have is that it happened last Saturday during practice.

Reactions: RollerVol

From an orthopedic website

Overwhelmingly, female athletes put greater stress on their knees (and particularly the ACL) as a result of different biomechanics. Three factors in particular have been identified:
  1. Females' knees are more" Turned In" (toward the midline of the body).
  2. Females' knees are less bent when jumping and landing.
  3. Females jump and run with the soles of the feet in a more rigid position and directed away from the body's center of gravity.

Reactions: savannahfan

Overwhelmingly, female athletes put greater stress on their knees (and particularly the ACL) as a result of different biomechanics. Three factors in particular have been identified:
  3. Females jump and run with the soles of the feet in a more rigid position and directed away from the body's center of gravity.

I thank you for this very informative info. It is really nice to see someone respond intelligently when a question is ask. To me, this is the best of the VolNation experiences. I do understand (and participate from time to time) in the less informative side of our site (notice I said our, as if we have part ownership) which along with your response makes this the best group of people on the internet.
Thanks again

can zaay apply for an extra medical redshirt year?

Yes

Medical Hardship Requirements
To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:
  • The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

Yes

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:
  • The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

thanks!!

Yes

What does the waiver accomplish? Does it
give the player financial aid or extend an
extra year of elegibility or what?

What does the waiver accomplish? Does it
give the player financial aid or extend an
extra year of elegibility or what?

Gives the player the 5th year of eligibility to play because of an injury. They already have their year of athletic aid when they are injured.

Overwhelmingly, female athletes put greater stress on their knees (and particularly the ACL) as a result of different biomechanics. Three factors, in particular, have been identified:
Most people don't know this but a lot of the biggest advances in sports medicine especially around the treatment of ACL injuries came from women's soccer and basketball since such injuries are more prevalent there. Back in the 80's and early 90's an ACL tear was a death sentence to a sports career.

Reactions: LVsinceJV

VN Store

Back