The Official Tennessee vs. Murray State Game Thread, 9:00 PM ET, SEC Network

He's still a little rough around the edges, but his athleticism will get quick attention from NBA scouts with performances like the last couple of games.
My post was more tongue in cheek but I definitely agree about his athleticism

Again....I heard this a lot last year.

Like I said, “State will not continue to hit 3’s like they did in the first half.”

“Tennessee just needs to keep it close and they will be OK”

State didn’t, Tennessee kept it close, Tennessee won.

Tennessee also picked it up on the boards, and kept the efficient O going.

Great win tonight!

1st half was sluggish but the 2nd half showed really good basketball.

Pons has really impressed me.

Reactions: JoAllan
Glad to be wrong. I'll have the crow.
Impressive second half. It’s gonna be interesting to watch this team develop an identity after losing so much talent. The great thing is we didn’t lose Barnes and he’s gonna coach the boys up and have them playing fundamentally solid basketball by the time March rolls around. I think we may surprise some people

Reactions: Stoked
We played Murray State. Murray State.
Also it’s college basketball. Look at how Auburn and UK looked tonight. Auburn was a basket away from an upset and UK just flat out got embarrassed by a team that went 11-21 last year. These mid major teams aren’t like the mid majors in football. They can play and aren’t slouches.

In a quick look ahead, #20 Washington struggled to beat Mt. Saint Mary's 56-46. I live in D.C. and I saw that Mt. Saint Mary't team open the season against Georgetown. They are......not good. Let's go get ourselves a ranked dub early in the season and crack the Top-25 next week.

Just skimming back through the thread and some of the comments about Josiah James early on were over the top and embarrassing to read. We act like idiots in the heat of battle sometimes. This was his 2nd game... I guess he's not quite Jason Kidd yet. Jeez.

Just skimming back through the thread and some of the comments about Josiah James early on were over the top and embarrassing to read. We act like idiots in the heat of battle sometimes. This was his 2nd game... I guess he's not quite Jason Kidd yet. Jeez.

He did have 5 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, a block and only 1 turnover.....with no fouls given.

Sure he’s not a scoring powerhouse right now, but as a true freshman in his second game.........he isn’t hurting you at all, and is contributing.

He did have 5 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, a block and only 1 turnover.....with no fouls given.

Sure he’s not a scoring powerhouse right now, but as a true freshman in his second game.........he isn’t hurting you at all, and is contributing.
He does deserve some criticism for his close outs. The one guy for Murray had most if not all his first half 3s off James not closing out fast enough.

That could be a easy fix though.

He does deserve some criticism for his close outs. The one guy for Murray had most if not all his first half 3s off James not closing out fast enough.

That could be a easy fix though.

This is true, but a lot of them were way out there and they were dropping everything.

I’m not saying you don’t guard the 3, but they got to trust in film and practice.

I could be way off, but I would think the Vols has a good idea of what ST was going to try to do........and jacking up a bunch of 3’s (and making them) probably wasn’t what they “thought” they would do.

Now if only the lightbulb can come on for James......

One good thing about JJJ not immediately being the guy is that others have had the opportunity to step up. The team will be stronger for having those other players start excelling.

VN Store

Back