This list makes me laugh more everyday...

This is where I'm at as well when it comes to assessing Coach Pruitt, although I might remain a little less confident as of now (really hoping that will change after the next two weeks).

I have started feeling optimistic due to how the team has played over the last 3 or 4 games. However, as some have pointed out already, we are in the same position as last year: the Vols need to win 1 of the last two to get bowl eligible. I was at the Kentucky game in 2018 and remember leaving Neyland feeling pretty good about what I saw . . . and then that hope was completely dismantled over the next two weeks. Losing to Vandy will pretty much erase my optimism. And given what we've seen, the Vols should beat Missouri as well. Despite the positive signs, I guess I'm still solidly in the "show me" camp. That's what having a legendarily bad loss to GA State and a choke-job against a less than mediocre BYU team will do to you as a fan. While it's hard to believe that this is the same team as the one that we saw this past Saturday, it is. I'm desperately hoping that we've started to turn the corner.

I think jg is the key, he is obviously going to play. Will he play good, or revert back to last year and most of this year. If jg plays good we can win both games. If he doesn't play good we lose at least one of them.

We do have a few talented upperclassmen who are playing very well. They will be missed next year, because we have a number of holes to fill and little experienced depth at any position. Depth take time to build and when you have an active roster of 65 players instead of 85, it will take time to get to 85 when you can only recruit 25 each year.

How many players do we lose from this years team??

I also look at the talent each coach inherited and Mullen had a ready made footbal team with lots of talent at lmost every position. I look at what Pruitt and the lack of talent he inherited. Pruitt has done much more with the talent he had than Mullen has with
the talent he had.

I am concerned about our qb. Pruitt has recruited 3 qb counting the grad transfer last year, and says jg gives us the best chance to win. So how many qb is he gona have to recruit to show improvement at qb. who in jg is not a good qb. I am well satisfied with other positions

How many players do we lose from this years team??
I havent looked lately, but I tink I read somewhere it was 17 or so. There could also be another non Senior or two who may decide to transfer. We should be able to recruit 25 new players ; Freshmen, graad transfers, and JUCOs. There is always the opportunity to give walkons a scholarship.

UF was not very good when Mullen came in. They went 4-7 in 2017 with their only wins UAB, Vandy, a Hail Mary against UT and a 1 point win over UK. In 2017 they scored more than 22 points in 4 games. Since Mullen got there they have scored more than 22 in 18 of their 23 games. Mullen has been a great hire for them. Our only hope is he continues to be a mediocre recruiter
Mullen inherited a top flight defense nobody can deny that and it has kept them in games they shouldn't have been. Also 22 pts isn't much these days. The college scoring avg in Div is 31 pts. UF was in much better shape than UT personnel wise.

I am concerned about our qb. Pruitt has recruited 3 qb counting the grad transfer last year, and says jg gives us the best chance to win. So how many qb is he gona have to recruit to show improvement at qb. who in jg is not a good qb. I am well satisfied with other positions
He has a very talented Freshmen QB committed that could be the best QB talent on the team. I don't think anyone yet knows what the pecking order will be coming out of Spring or Fall practice. Two of them will be Seniors, two Sophomores, and one Freshman. I think we need one or two really good QBs in the 2021 class.

Reactions: McMannis
I guess that's one way to look at it, but if the supposed "culture change" doesn't translate to an increase in on-the-field performance, then what's the point?

How do you justify putting Frost, losing to a 2-6 Purdue, over Fisher who is winning more games than Kevin Sumlin could, with predominately Sumlin's players?
Fisher is doing no better than what sumlin did there as of right now, so for me the question would be how do they justify spending that kind of money on a coach to replace a coach that won 8-9 games per season and then have the same results. I feel like Frost was the better hirer of course that's just my opinion. The culture of a program must be changed before on field results happen they both won't happen immediately changing the way players practice, go to class, and just behave in general takes time especially when they've been allowed to do what they want for so long.Look at fsu for example they try to pick fights with everyone they play after the whistle, before the game, after the game, that was who they were and are they didn't want to buy into what Taggart was trying to do there and he didn't have a real chance to succeed. More wins will come here and at Nebraska because there is a respect between the coaches and players. The respect and the change of how things are done happens, then the on field results will follow

Remind me why Tua did not play the whole game.
Remind me what the final score was genius...You are acting like we won the damn game...We still got beat by a backup...Your name alone tells me you are lacking basic IQ skills so I am not surprised by your responses.

Reactions: 08Vol
Fisher is doing no better than what sumlin did there as of right now, so for me the question would be how do they justify spending that kind of money on a coach to replace a coach that won 8-9 games per season and then have the same results. I feel like Frost was the better hirer of course that's just my opinion. The culture of a program must be changed before on field results happen they both won't happen immediately changing the way players practice, go to class, and just behave in general takes time especially when they've been allowed to do what they want for so long.Look at fsu for example they try to pick fights with everyone they play after the whistle, before the game, after the game, that was who they were and are they didn't want to buy into what Taggart was trying to do there and he didn't have a real chance to succeed. More wins will come here and at Nebraska because there is a respect between the coaches and players. The respect and the change of how things are done happens, then the on field results will follow

Sumlin 7-5 (4-4)

Fisher 8-4 (5-3)

Sumlin hadn't won 8 regular season games since 2013, and only had a winning SEC record in 2012, so yeah Fisher has done better with Sumlin's players than Sumlin was able to do.

He has a very talented Freshmen QB committed that could be the best QB talent on the team. I don't think anyone yet knows what the pecking order will be coming out of Spring or Fall practice. Two of them will be Seniors, two Sophomores, and one Freshman. I think we need one or two really good QBs in the 2021 class.
Not sure the Freshman will get playing time. Pruitt seems to have little patients for any QB mistakes unless JG makes them. So far the freshman QBs are not allowed to play and grow. If they are not perfect they are out.

Not gonna go through the whole list because I could not care less about the small school coaching changes. These aren't in any specific order.

The Good:

Mario Cristobal has gotten Oregon back into national champion contention affter a few years of floundering with Helfrich and Taggert. Top of the list so far, imo.

Likewise, Dan Mullen continues to prove he is one of the top coaches in the country, taking a Florida team that was lacking depth and not many play makers and putting together what appears to be back to back 10 win seasons for the first time since Meyer was there.

Sonny Dykes art SMU. Even though I said I didn't care about small school's, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out how well SMU has done under Sykes this year. Great hire for them.

The OK:

Herm Edwards has done pretty well with Arizona State. They were ranked at one point this year, though they've fallen off lately. Considering he got a D- rating, I think he's definitely over-performed relative to expectations, though obviously far from a home run.

Pruitt has gotten TN to play exorbitantly better after a dreadful start to 2019. The young players seem to be developing nicely and the upper classman finally seem to have bought in to what Pruitt is selling and the one's that didn't seem to have been weeded out. I can't put him in the good column yet with a losing record. Winning out will go a long way for the program, imo.

Matt Luke has done a better than expected job at Ole Mis, imo. Ole Miss has been in every game so far in 2019. Luke seems like a solid coach and Ole Miss seems like a team on the rise.

Jimbo Fisher has been good but not great at A&M. Looking like he'll finish the regular season with 7 wins and one would think no more than 8 wins. Pretty mediocre for a 7 million dollar coach, but he's burned up the recruiting trails so better days may yet be ahead. Wins vs UGA and LSU to finish the season would certainly boost his stock up to a good hire.

Joe Moorhead had a great first year winning 8 games in the regular season, but he was using primarily Mullen's players. His sophomore year, however, has left much to be desired. MS State still has a chance to go bowling with a couple wins to finish out the season. Moorhead has his work cut out for him to stay competitive in the SEC West.

The Bad:

Taggert and Morris have already been fired after disastrous tenures with their schools. Very glad Taggert wasn't chosen to be the HC here as I do remember we were tied to him at various points.

Kevin Sumlin was a high profile coach with plenty of success and he's yet to find much at AZ. It's especially underwhelming considering the Pac 12 South is pretty weak at the moment, with Utah as the only ranked team. Can't imagine he'll survive another sub .500 win season.

Chip Kelly has not been very good at UCLA. After high expectations, he has started 0-3 in back to back to seasons. But much like Tennessee, UCLA seems to have caught a 2nd wind in the back half of this season, winning 3 in a row and 4 of their last 6, all against pac 12 foes. May be they have turned a corner. Time will tell..

Scott Frost at Nebraska. Frost certainly seemed like the next hot shot coach that would mold Nebraska into national title contenders. But so far, he's struggled to even get Nebraska out of the cellar. This season looks like a slight improvement over 2018, but he'll need to win 2 of his final 3 games to go bowling. Being that he is a Nebraska legend, he'll likely get a longer leash than the guys above him on this list, but he is going to have to start winning soon. Another year of struggling to stay at .500 will make his seat pretty hot.
I agree with most of your list. However, I disagree with Matt Luke and Jimbo. Ole Miss was 5-7 last year and that’s the best they will do this year. I don’t really see them getting better. Also, AM paid a lot of money to Jimbo to get one extra win a year. I’m not really seeing improvement in them.

I don't think Jimbo is doing all that great for what he's being paid. He's a NC winning coach and he's probably gonna finish 7-5 this season? Lmao! I'd say Mullen to fla was the best hire and the rest besides Pruitt are flops. Pruitt just needs time (yes, time!). Go ahead and argue with me all day how we gave Butch time, but you can't sit there and tell me you don't see the difference in play and game-day coaching.

Winston saved Jimbo’s job. Without Winston I don’t think he would’ve lasted two or three more years. He left Florida State in shambles and blamed it on everybody else.

Sumlin 7-5 (4-4)

Fisher 8-4 (5-3)

Sumlin hadn't won 8 regular season games since 2013, and only had a winning SEC record in 2012, so yeah Fisher has done better with Sumlin's players than Sumlin was able to do.
1 game difference is your argument there?
Yeah your right that's worth 10 million

Reactions: Defaultuser
Sumlin 7-5 (4-4)

Fisher 8-4 (5-3)

I'm kidding I know what you meant, either way I'm not a big Fisher fan but to each there own. I haven't chatted with you in awhile good talkin with you

Not sure the Freshman will get playing time. Pruitt seems to have little patients for any QB mistakes unless JG makes them. So far the freshman QBs are not allowed to play and grow. If they are not perfect they are out.
He is the coach and sees everything that happens in practice and games. He plays the guys who he and his assistant coaches think have the best chance of winning football games. If you think otherwise, you are out of your mind. The Freshmen QBs have been given the chance to play and they have been very inconsistent. If HB is the best QB next Fall, he will be playing most of the time. If he does not give us the best chance to win, the one who does will be the starter.

just a few observations from looking at the list:

I'd say they definitely missed on the following (not a complete list): Taggart (5th on the list), Chad Morris (7th on the list)

Moorhead (miss st.) at this point should be lower than 6th

probably too early to tell on Frost, Pruitt, Sumlin, Matt luke, but Frost at this point definitely shouldn't be number 1. I think #1 has to be Mullen

Sonny Dykes (SMU), Cristobal (Oregon), and Herm Edwards (ASU) (rated last (21st)) are doing decently well

Anybody know what the real 411 is on Taggert? What really happened down there?

Winston saved Jimbo’s job. Without Winston I don’t think he would’ve lasted two or three more years. He left Florida State in shambles and blamed it on everybody else.
I don't even understand the decline after a cfb Championship. If anything, that should have brought more momentum and recruits. Wait. I get it, that was Pruitt's only season there. 🤔

Reactions: CDB
I also look at the talent each coach inherited and Mullen had a ready made footbal team with lots of talent at lmost every position. I look at what Pruitt and the lack of talent he inherited. Pruitt has done much more with the talent he had than Mullen has with
the talent he had.

UF went 4-7 the year before Mullen got there. His back up QB has played almost the entire season. This myth that Mullen had a ton of talent and we had very little just isn’t true

Reactions: I40flyer and Carp
I'm sure it's been asked before, but, I wonder why Pruitt didn't stay at Georgia when Smart was hired. Was he not happy he didn't get promoted? Were they too close to work together as boss/employee? And, finally, why am I up so late pondering such things?

VN Store

Back