'20 UT ILB Noah Sewell (Oregon commit)

We are five years out before we even have a shot at winning the SEC. We can scream for recruiters but we better keep coaches who can develop and build the program because we won’t get ENOUGH of the elite guys to be able to out talent the top teams in the SEC.

Many people will cry and moan at that, but what they don't understand is that is a reasonable timeline for what a mess we have been for the last decade plus. You have to keep a coach longer than 3-4 years. The problem is, until the Pruitt hire, we didn't hire a coach that was worth keeping longer than that. Pruitt seems to have things moving in the right direction but we have to acknowledge that we won't be able to pull more than a couple of blue chippers a year until we are consistently winning 8-10 games a year and are ready to take that next step. I think next year we could win 7-9 and the year after that we are looking at maybe 8-10. We have to sustain 8-10 for a few years and then we be able to recruit guys with the pitch of coming in to be that piece that pushes us over the top and then you can't get lazy.

Perhaps.
I just wanted to hear your thoughts about why.
I think by the end of next year, we'll be a top 5 SEC team.

Next year both lines will be strengths.
Our defense can be really stout...

Being good is one thing just having a top 4 team nationally will take a lot more development. Maybe it happens three years from now if guys stay all four years and we have depth that can redshirt and get SEC big without having to play. It could happen quicker.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
It hurt out of the gate but we have a chance to more than double our SEC wins from last year and honestly other than a bowl game that’s what we should track progress on.

Winning the last three would get is momentum and change my mind and help recruiting and put us back to CJP’s 5th year. Starts tomorrow. Gotta win.

An elite Qb could do that. What would Alabama be the last 3 years without Tua , Ga without Fromm and Clemson without T.L. ?
Bama would have been trucking right along with Jalen Hurts heading a power run game... Georgia would have had a much better (though also higher maintenance) QB in Fields... and Clemson would be plowing right on through the ACC with Bryant... some championships might have been shuffled around a bit between the three, but they probably would have stayed between those three regardless

Winning the last three would get is momentum and change my mind and help recruiting and put us back to CJP’s 5th year. Starts tomorrow. Gotta win.
We'd finish third in the East. And after how the session started...I think that'd be pretty impressive. So.... Agreed

Bama would have been trucking right along with Jalen Hurts heading a power run game... Georgia would have had a much better (though also higher maintenance) QB in Fields... and Clemson would be plowing right on through the ACC with Bryant... some championships might have been shuffled around a bit between the three, but they probably would have stayed between those three regardless
I believe you could add one or two losses to each team if the 3 players I mentioned were not on the teams.

I believe you could add one or two losses to each team if the 3 players I mentioned were not on the teams.
Without Tua, Bama would have lost the NC... to Georgia... Fields is outright better than Fromm, I don't think it's particularly close... and Bryant isn't a significant downgrade from Lawrence IMO... Lawrence wrecked Bama in the NC... but again... if they had lost that one... it was again to one of the aforementioned teams... so... not really lol

Anyone intimidated by Memphis👀 Boogie looks decent shooting from the outside..he’s been the majority of their points I believe.

I was pissed, but as the season goes on, I have just chalked up GSU as OJT casualty. Don't think JP EVER makes that mistake again. He, and obviously the rest of the staff really thought they could use that game as another week of evaluation. It sucks, but If we played that game again, I gaurandamntee you we beat them by 50...

BYU I totally lay at JGs feet...he was HORRIDHORRIDHORRIDHORRID in that game..there were guys running open on every freakin play, and he pure vaporspazzed. I have watched it a couple of times since...it is sickening how bad he is. Maurer beats that team by at least two TDs..

I was pissed, but as the season goes on, I have just chalked up GSU as OJT casualty. Don't think JP EVER makes that mistake again. He, and obviously the rest of the staff really thought they could use that game as another week of evaluation. It sucks, but If we played that game again, I gaurandamntee you we beat them by 50...

BYU I totally lay at JGs feet...he was HORRIDHORRIDHORRIDHORRID in that game..there were guys running open on every freakin play, and he pure vaporspazzed. I have watched it a couple of times since...it is sickening how bad he is. Maurer beats that team by at least two TDs..
Yet we still win if #2 doesn't think we are in zone defense

I believe it is very possible two of the three would have not made the playoffs each year without their Qb’s. Hurts and Bryant are no where near the the level of the Qb’s who replaced them. I also believe Fromm will have a longer career than Fields. The point I’m making is if Bailey turns out to be another Manning type player as some believe then the turnaround to making the Top 4 may even occur as soon as 2021.

I believe it is very possible two of the three would have not made the playoffs each year without their Qb’s. Hurts and Bryant are no where near the the level of the Qb’s who replaced them. I also believe Fromm will have a longer career than Fields. The point I’m making is if Bailey turns out to be another Manning type player as some believe then the turnaround to making the Top 4 may even occur as soon as 2021.

My point is there's 22 positions to fill on the football field, 11 on each side of the ball... an elite QB is definitely nice to have, and can float your problems at other positions to make your offense look above average when you're not... and they can elevate a top contender to a national title... but every single one of those positions have to function together as 11 puzzle pieces per side of the ball that fit together and mesh to contend for national titles...

There's an entire different point to be made when your QBs are terrible/turn the ball over on awful passes/in the red zone... but an average to above average QB can definitely win a championship with elite talent around him... see 2001 Super Bowl Champion Brad Johnson

I'm not sure Fromm is better than Eason, whom he replaced (and I can make a really good statistical case for that)... but he definitely isn't on par with Fields... Lawrence has been mediocre at best this season, Bryant has put up better stats with a LOT less around him at Mizzou... and Tua, yes, he's way better than Hurts... but if I'm not mistaken Hurts was up for this year's Heisman till Oklahoma's defense choked and lost a game... Hurts was clearly good enough to get to the NC, because he did the year before that, though they lost to Clemson 35-31, and did again the year after that when Tua had to step in to win it...

Also of note, we had a bunch of really good teams with R1P1 elite NFL QB Peyton Manning, but Tee got the NC with elite players surrounding him... we all know Peyton's storied career... but Tee got drafted in the 5th round and played in 2 games, did awful, went to NFL Europe and lead the Rhein Fire to a loss in the World Bowl... Nobody's going to argue who the better QB was between the two...

I'm not saying having a good QB isn't important... I'm just saying it's not nearly as important as people make it out to be... putting lipstick on a dead horse might make it prettier but it's still a dead horse with lipstick on it

Many people will cry and moan at that, but what they don't understand is that is a reasonable timeline for what a mess we have been for the last decade plus. You have to keep a coach longer than 3-4 years. The problem is, until the Pruitt hire, we didn't hire a coach that was worth keeping longer than that. Pruitt seems to have things moving in the right direction but we have to acknowledge that we won't be able to pull more than a couple of blue chippers a year until we are consistently winning 8-10 games a year and are ready to take that next step. I think next year we could win 7-9 and the year after that we are looking at maybe 8-10. We have to sustain 8-10 for a few years and then we be able to recruit guys with the pitch of coming in to be that piece that pushes us over the top and then you can't get lazy.

Say it louder for those in the back

Without Tua, Bama would have lost the NC... to Georgia... Fields is outright better than Fromm, I don't think it's particularly close... and Bryant isn't a significant downgrade from Lawrence IMO... Lawrence wrecked Bama in the NC... but again... if they had lost that one... it was again to one of the aforementioned teams... so... not really lol

Imo the jury is still out on Fields. Besides Wisconsin they haven't played any tough teams. Fromm has been pretty good since his freshman debut. OSU has had a lot of QB busts in the NFL so I'd be wary of saying Fields is better.

Yet we still win if #2 doesn't think we are in zone defense
While that is an absolute fact, it is also a fact that JG had well over a dozen flunkups..We should have, not could have, should have if JG was just more mediocre than pure suck in that game, been up 2-3 TDs. That was on him....all on him. Literally every other position on offense was doing their job very well, and Chaney called some great plays that got dudes wide freakin open over and over and over...but the QB who is not a QB sucked so bad it did not matter.

Reactions: VOLNPA
My point is there's 22 positions to fill on the football field, 11 on each side of the ball... an elite QB is definitely nice to have, and can float your problems at other positions to make your offense look above average when you're not... and they can elevate a top contender to a national title... but every single one of those positions have to function together as 11 puzzle pieces per side of the ball that fit together and mesh to contend for national titles...

There's an entire different point to be made when your QBs are terrible/turn the ball over on awful passes/in the red zone... but an average to above average QB can definitely win a championship with elite talent around him... see 2001 Super Bowl Champion Brad Johnson

I'm not sure Fromm is better than Eason, whom he replaced (and I can make a really good statistical case for that)... but he definitely isn't on par with Fields... Lawrence has been mediocre at best this season, Bryant has put up better stats with a LOT less around him at Mizzou... and Tua, yes, he's way better than Hurts... but if I'm not mistaken Hurts was up for this year's Heisman till Oklahoma's defense choked and lost a game... Hurts was clearly good enough to get to the NC, because he did the year before that, though they lost to Clemson 35-31, and did again the year after that when Tua had to step in to win it...

Also of note, we had a bunch of really good teams with R1P1 elite NFL QB Peyton Manning, but Tee got the NC with elite players surrounding him... we all know Peyton's storied career... but Tee got drafted in the 5th round and played in 2 games, did awful, went to NFL Europe and lead the Rhein Fire to a loss in the World Bowl... Nobody's going to argue who the better QB was between the two...

I'm not saying having a good QB isn't important... I'm just saying it's not nearly as important as people make it out to be... putting lipstick on a dead horse might make it prettier but it's still a dead horse with lipstick on it
Manning is the perfect example of the difference an elite Qb can do for a team. Compare the Colts the last year he played for them and the next year when he was injured. If Bailey comes into college playing elite ball , then you could see TN contending as soon as 2021 for conference championships and possibly even the CFS. Even as bad as TN was at the beginning of this year with questionable Qb play we still competed for a while with Ga and Alabama.

i don't know about the 5 years out deal. but i kinda agree with the rest. if you can continue to get core guys like we got in the 19 class, and develop the rest, you can build a really solid program doing that. and somewhere in there, we'll win enough where the elite guys start to jump in.

it does probably mean you're 2-3 years out from right now before you put a team on the field that can realistically have a shot at winning the SEC...to compete with the top of the West. i do think we'll be competitive next year in the East. don't think we're winning it. but i can see a top 3 division finish next year.....who knows, may get that this year....

We win out this year and we finish third in the East.

IMHO

Step 1 is bowl eligibility
Step 2 is top 10-20 finish on the field
Step 3 is do it again
Step 4 is legitimacy...win/be in all games vs Bama, UGA and FLA, crush bad teams, don't lose the games we shouldn't

Beginning in 2019, this is possible. We can be at step 4 in 2022. I am patient enough for that as long as steps 1-3 stay on that schedule. We will win and lose plenty of recruiting battles. I'll lose zero sleep over the Hardys of the world. He may be great. He may flop. Nobody knows. If the staff can eye talent and coach it up, we'll get where we need to be.

Reactions: MikeVol44

VN Store

Back