Millennials

Ok boomer
Now that's not nice.
iu

The hippies of my generation have been running the country for the last few years, and have been doing a crappy job. I will give you younger people that, however there are millions of boomers like me who just went to work every day, never were out of a job, never collected any welfare, obeyed the laws, and were productive citizens. The downfall can be laid at the feet of greedy politicians from both parties . Their constituencies , for the most part, trusted the politicians to do what was best for them. Unfortunately, the politicians do the bidding of big money organizations that funded their campaigns, and make them rich on the side.

There are obviously exceptions, and it sounds like you are one. But the Boomers as a whole have a pretty crappy track record. Just take a look at the exploding debt over the last 50 years, this new era of privatized gains and socialized losses, infrastructure falling apart, SS is screwed but the boomers still want their checks, etc.

The blame can be spread around for sure. Millennials are not blameless, and Gen Xer’s are starting to vote and run things in larger numbers....and the politicians are the ones directly responsible. We can also debate the merits of which political party did the most damage. But the largest voting block putting these people on office and those actually in office over the last 50-60 years have been from the boomer generation. That is a fact.

We are all in this together, I get it. But the boomers as a whole shoulder a lot of the problems because they are a lot of the population.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Please explain why.
1. Most entitled generation of all time
2. They raised Millennials

IMO, there is one trait that is unique to younger Millennials/Gen Z, and that is an unwillingness to potentially experience adversity. They won't attempt something or go down a certain path if they think it could get the slightest bit bumpy. I think previous generations do have a little more of a chip on their shoulder, I'll concede that. Do you know why Millennials are that way? Because of how they were raised by their helicopter/bulldozer Boomer parents.

Also, the dividing line between the more current generations should be which ones are digital natives and which ones aren't. People currently in their mid 20s and younger don't know what life is like without having the internet instantaneously at their fingertips. Folks currently in their 30s, who are technically "Millennials" since they were born after 1980, have more in common with Gen X, IMO, than they do Millennial and Gen X stereotypes.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
@0nelilreb
@1972 Grad
@SpaceCoastVol

So out of curiosity I did a mini social experiment and texted some friends and family and asked them the question...

“Do you know what ewes are?”

These were the responses...

“Are they birds ?”

“No, never heard of it or them”

“Nope”

“Ewes when something stinks or disgusting”

“I don’t know what it is. I googled it, says sheep”

“Like the sheep?”

“Lmao never heard of her”

“No what are they??”

“No?”

“I don’t even know what that means haha”

“What nah”

“No lol”

For what it’s worth, the one person who got it right has a brother who lives on a small farm and owns sheep.

My conclusion is that this is definitely a rural vs urban divide.

It’s literally an elementary grade course lesson . I never saw sheep going up in the rural south until I moved to the Midwest , but I learned what ewes and rams were in school . Did they not teach you and your friends about different animals in the city ? Lol

Sheep Facts: Lesson for Kids | Study.com

Look, I'll be among the first to crap on my own generation. There's a reason why most of my friends are gen x'ers.

However, boomers are definitely the worst. You can speculate that millennials are going to be worse, but that's all you can do right now. Until then, boomers are on paper as a societal cancer. What's more, they refuse to acknowledge it and instead attempt to **** on millennials as though it wasn't themselves who raised 'em. Lol.

It’s literally an elementary grade course lesson . I never saw sheep going up in the rural south until I moved to the Midwest , but I learned what ewes and rams were in school . Did they not teach you and your friends about different animals in the city ? Lol

Sheep Facts: Lesson for Kids | Study.com

The word Ewe is literally lost on all of us. It’s honestly pretty fascinating.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
Look, I'll be among the first to crap on my own generation. There's a reason why most of my friends are gen x'ers.

However, boomers are definitely the worst. You can speculate that millennials are going to be worse, but that's all you can do right now. Until then, boomers are on paper as a societal cancer. What's more, they refuse to acknowledge it and instead attempt to **** on millennials as though it wasn't themselves who raised 'em. Lol.
I think there's a mislabeling of "Millennials" as well (see 4 posts above this one). Older Millennials (ones born in the 80s) I think have much more in common than Gen X than Millennials. Millennials born in the early 90s have Gen Z tendencies, and then Gen Z itself starts in the mid 90s. I think it has everything to do with what technology you were exposed to at a young age. Older Millennials are very knowledgeable about and heavily reliant on technology, but they also know what life was like without it. Younger Millennials and Gen Z has no idea what life is like without a smartphone and the internet. The cutoff point should be which people are digital natives and which ones aren't. This supposed Millennial generation is actually quite small, I think, when you try to identify what unique traits it has.

I was born in 1987, which firmly makes me a Millennial by the traditional definition, but I have so much more in common personality wise with Gen X than Millennials. I feel like I relate to 45-year-olds much more so than a 25-year-old, even though I'm closer in age to the 25-year old.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
@0nelilreb
@1972 Grad
@SpaceCoastVol

So out of curiosity I did a mini social experiment and texted some friends and family and asked them the question...

“Are they birds ?”

“Nope”

“Like the sheep?”

“No what are they??”

“No?”

“What nah”

“No lol”

For what it’s worth, the one person who got it right has a brother who lives on a small farm and owns sheep.

Edit: The guy who actually has sheep didn’t know what that word meant.
Not to take a shot at you, but to be fair to them, I’m 28 and in no way had a rural upbringing, but I know what an ewe is and assumed it would be common knowledge. I’m actually tempted to ask some friends of mine the same question and see if this is something they would know.

@0nelilreb
@1972 Grad
@SpaceCoastVol

“Are they birds ?”

“Nope”

“Like the sheep?”

“No what are they??”

“No?”

“What nah”

“No lol”

That's so weird. I feel like I always knew what a ewe was.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
Not to take a shot at you, but to be fair to them, I’m 28 and in no way had a rural upbringing, but I know what an ewe is and assumed it would be common knowledge. I’m actually tempted to ask some friends of mine the same question and see if this is something they would know.

I agree it has got me interested in finding out how many of mine know also now .

Reactions: tvolsfan
The word Ewe is literally lost on all of us. It’s honestly pretty fascinating.

I do have a word that is strictly relevant to farming that I didn’t know until I was working on this farm ( in my 20s ) . Without googling do you know what a Barrow is ?

IMO, there is one trait that is unique to younger Millennials/Gen Z, and that is an unwillingness to potentially experience adversity. They won't attempt something or go down a certain path if they think it could get the slightest bit bumpy. I think previous generations do have a little more of a chip on their shoulder, I'll concede that. Do you know why Millennials are that way? Because of how they were raised by their helicopter/bulldozer Boomer parents.

Also, the dividing line between the more current generations should be which ones are digital natives and which ones aren't. People currently in their mid 20s and younger don't know what life is like without having the internet instantaneously at their fingertips. Folks currently in their 30s, who are technically "Millennials" since they were born after 1980, have more in common with Gen X, IMO, than they do Millennial and Gen X stereotypes.

Very good post. I was born in 77..gen X..my wife was born in 82 so is technically a millennial but she is in no way actually of that generation. The digital generation is a better divide, because lifestyles were just different. My wife and I both had pagers when young, because cellphones didnt exist. Car phones did...huge, wired straight into the battery of the car and cost around a dollar a minute when a relative of mine had one as a traveling salesman. Smartphones and google didnt come out until I was an adult with kids that already owned (my 2nd) home. There are kids like my son now who is 18 who has never known a world where all the knowledge compiled by human civilization wasnt in a device in his pocket. He never knew the Dewey decimal system, or used encyclopedias to do book reports, or watched the evening news to learn about current events. He has been formed in the information age...and nearly everything has come 10x easier to him than it did to me. You cant fault or blame them for that...it is the world we live in..but to act like it doesnt have an affect on their mental makeup and work ethic is myopic. I say this with my son being HS valedictorian...but he has really done nothing terribly special. We put him in a position to succeed, paid dearly for the best school we could, I helped him with any homework or projects he needed help with up until HS anyway...and without sounding like a dick...everyone in my family has always made very high grades and tested in the very top of their peers academically..so the genetic makeup to be a little sharper than the average kid was there from the start. We made sacrifices to keep my wife at home until both my kids were in school..so they could both read and write well the day they showed up for kindergarten. Those skills are taught in 1st grade these days.

I guess what I am saying is I am proud of my son and appreciate him doing what was expected of him..but his mom and I still worry. He is lazy. In anything other than school really. He has never faced any real adversity in his 18 years of life..like all of his friends. ..and we worry that he will fold up like a cheap tent when life kicks him in the balls. Which it will certainly do..likely over and over and over until he dies if his life goes anything like mine. Louder is right in that we have coddled and raised these kids in a bubble where they have never felt and real pain or failure. So we have no idea how they will react then they inevitably do. That is our fault. My fault . In truth, in order to give my kids the start in life that we wanted to..I have missed most of their lives. I work 6 days a week, 50 or 51 weeks a year, and before I got this job as a supervisor, I kept side work as many nights a week as I could doing remodel work. Many, many weeks I never saw my kids awake until the weekend. They were already in bed every night by the time I got home from my 2nd job. In giving them my best...I failed them. I missed things. Lots of things. I missed too many opportunities to teach my son how to work on cars, remodel a house, build things...how to be a man. Or at least what I am and what my dad and Pappaw were. I have told my son since he was small that if he kept his grades up and excelled that he could make more money in a 40 hour week than I do in 70 and he wouldnt have to miss his kids all the time. I hope it pays off. I hope that happens and he can be a much better dad than I have been and be a lot closer to his kids. That he isnt always missing from the photos of the field trips and church functions on Saturdays and all the other things I missed. I hope he doesnt have these same regrets that I have..because they are heavy. Time is fleeting.

I dont like to see kids taking shots at my parents generation with this " OK Boomer" crap..there are many good people of that generation and they deserve respect. Respecting ones elders is important.

At the same time...Boomers taking shots a their kids and grandkids is really stupid too. You raised them. If they suck..its largely because you didnt teach them any other way. We are responsible for our kids. That's life. Generational shaming is just stupid. Everyone here was born free in the USA..we all won the lottery the day we were delivered on US soil. What we make of that opportunity is up to the individual, and we should be measured that way IMO...as individuals.

Depending on what you consider bad in the US or that has declined overtime will allow specifics.

If you want the moral decay of the fabric of America look to the godless hippies of the 70s. Boomers. Drugs, curse words, free sexual culture, yadda yadda yadda. Nothing new but taken to 11.

Fraudulent spending and faux wars, really got going in the 70s and 80s. Boomers.

Expanded social programs happened during the 70s.

Seriously what's your problem with the state of America?

The kids? Blame the parents.

The culture portion, I'll agree with you there.

As for the fraudulent spending, democracy projects abroad and the social program expansions started way before the boomers even reached 20 years old and during that time, the administration's in charge were not full of boomers at key positions. I dont see how this can be dropped on the doorstep of that generation saying they're solely responsible.

The culture portion, I'll agree with you there.

As for the fraudulent spending, democracy projects abroad and the social program expansions started way before the boomers even reached 20 years old and during that time, the administration's in charge were not full of boomers at key positions. I dont see how this can be dropped on the doorstep of that generation saying they're solely responsible.
I'll admit that the programs themselves were conceived when the Boomers were really young, and they were passed/signed into law by politicians who certainly weren't Boomers, but they didn't really start to balloon, expand, and become part of the fabric of society (e.g., what was expected) until the 70 and 80s. And that was Boomers. The role of government generally speaking really expanded in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The modern American welfare state as it exists today was strongly advocated for by Boomers, and predictably Boomers want it protected much more than any other generation.

Most entitled generation? Disagree.

What are you basing this on, from those that attended Berkeley or participated in Woodstock at that time? That's a very small portion of the population from that generation. Try factoring in and asking those that served during that era and were deployed to Vietnam. I'm sure they'll enlighten you on their entitlement.

Most entitled generation? Disagree.

What are you basing this on, from those that attended Berkeley or participated in Woodstock at that time? That's a very small portion of the population from that generation. Try factoring in and asking those that served during that era and were deployed to Vietnam. I'm sure they'll enlighten you on their entitlement.
I think that anybody who has ever served in the military, during any generation, wouldn't accurately be described as entitled.

The gigantic social programs and safety nets as they exist today were advocated for by Boomers. That's just a fact. They ballooned in the 70s and 80s, even under "conservative" administrations and Congresses. Boomers aren't exactly known for saving money either.

I think that anybody who has ever served in the military, during any generation, wouldn't accurately be described as entitled.

The gigantic social programs and safety nets as they exist today were advocated for by Boomers. That's just a fact. They ballooned in the 70s and 80s, even under "conservative" administrations and Congresses.

Ok. Consider this for a moment. How can we blame Boomers for the problems with Millennials when a significant portion of those from the baby boom raised Gen X as well?

We may come from a slacker mentality during our youth (gen X) but most of us had to accept some responsibility and get our ass in gear. That was done thru motivation from our boomer parents, military service or our grandparents (WW2 generation) that experienced hardships and made sacrifices so the rest of us may not have to.

@0nelilreb
@1972 Grad
@SpaceCoastVol

“Are they birds ?”

“Nope”

“Like the sheep?”

“No what are they??”

“No?”

“What nah”

“No lol”

I never had sheep, and don't personally know anyone who had sheep . They taught us all that kind of stuff in elementary school, along with gaggle, flock, herd, murder, bevy, swarm, pack, etc.

I never had sheep, and don't personally know anyone who had sheep . They taught us all that kind of stuff in elementary school, along with gaggle, flock, herd, murder, bevy, swarm, pack, etc.

Murder of crows has always been my favorite . Also that’s how I learned about Edgar Allen Poe

Ok. Consider this for a moment. How can we blame Boomers for the problems with Millennials when a significant portion of those from the baby boom raised Gen X as well?

We may come from a slacker mentality during our youth (gen X) but most of us had to accept some responsibility and get our ass in gear. That was done thru motivation from our boomer parents, military service or our grandparents (WW2 generation) that experienced hardships and made sacrifices so the rest of us may not have to.
Most of the Boomers raised Millennials though. These generations don't have hard and fast cutoff points, and you're right to point out that some (older) Boomers raised Gen X kids. Hell, some Gen Xers have raised Millennials. But most Boomers raised Millennials.

Gen X I think actually has developed a good mentality in their middle aged years. They have moderated their cynicism to a level that is healthy and keeps them grounded. They have goals and things they want to do but also are realistic. Millennials should take note. Gen X grew up. Millennials will likely do the same thing, but they'll still have characteristics unique to them, just like every generation.

Millennials, and yes I know I'm totally playing into the stereotype here, could stand to develop a little more mental toughness. Develop a bit of a chip on your shoulder. Become a little more defiant (to a point, of course) instead of shrinking from every challenge. Boomers might be entitled and Gen X might have been really cynical, but they also didn't give up as easy. Millennials are more sensitive than Gen X or Boomers were at the same stage in life an don't necessarily want to go down a path if it hasn't been completely bulldozed for them, most often times by their Boomer parents.

VN Store

Back