Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t have to leave your state to recruit, you have the easiest P5 conference imo, you have very recent championships, countless NFL players. Saying a school like FSU, Ohio state, texas etc is a better “job“ than us isn’t a shot. There’s a handful that have it all. FSU is one of them.
And yet these schools that every one call such great jobs suck. FSU had a great year, and then a few decent to mediocre years under Jimbo, but they have mostly sucked since Bowden...USC has sucked since PC left, and sucked before he got there...Texas had some great years under Mack, but before and after is a bunch of mediocre to suck.

I just think it is all a load of garbage. You hire the right coach and you win, you hire a moron and you lose...no matter what "advantages" you have. It is harder right now at UT simply because we have had a decade+ of idiots run us in the ground, but if JP can get us rolling we are just as good a job as anybody else.

Look..even used car salesman Bitch Jones was able to almost get there...If that fruitcake can almost do it, a really good coach WILL do it.

It has been reported that donors have already pledged the money. They are serious at FSU
Boosters basically made the call themselves the way I read it. Shows a serious lack of leadership and vision in their AD. You hired a guy that took 3 years to turn USF around. WKU was 7-5 2nd year. Why would he have a 1.5 year leash? Did they expect something different? Terrible way to lead an organization. But when kneejerk boosters run things, you get this sort of nonsense.

Guess they really thought Jimbo was the problem (remember the Bleacher report) and the roster was still really talented. Feels familiar. But it takes time to turn over the roster and WT/Briles were running a totally different offense than Jimbo did (feels familiar too). To expect big changes this soon was naive. You have to have a strategy and have the perserverance to see it through.

That place needs an AD with gall and vision...they need their own Fulmer.

Lol and why would Pruitts coaches “leave”
Because of what he sees on the sidelines he said. And he's right. Some of the coaches aren't even on the sidelines! I've seen some coaches sitting up in what look to be luxury boxes, while on the phone with other people using headsets. Seems they've already checked out!!!

No...it's a great job..according to Hank..the greatest..
IF the AD were in order, it would be a great job. Honestly, it's smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hotbed with Florida and Georgia. I'd never say any job is the greatest situation. So much rests on the coaching itself. But as far as recruiting talent, it's in an ideal spot.

I don’t think it’s stirring the pot or a knock on us. There’s just some jobs that are always going to be better.

USC, Texas, UF, FSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma and LSU are the best jobs in the country bc They have the resources and more advantages in profile and pipelines over any other place.

I would group Tennessee in with Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Clemson, ND, Michigan etc.
You don’t have to leave your state to recruit, you have the easiest P5 conference imo, you have very recent championships, countless NFL players. Saying a school like FSU, Ohio state, texas etc is a better “job“ than us isn’t a shot. There’s a handful that have it all. FSU is one of them.
What makes a job "better"? Championships or being in recruiting hotbeds? If we're in some kind of second tier with Bama and Clemson, I'll take it. You have paid attention to the last couple of NCs, right? I agree that being in talent rich states help make a job easier, but easier doesn't equate to better. FSU is an attractive job, but I wouldn't call it one of the best jobs.

Just started Jack Ryan, season 1. Two episodes in, wow this is intense. Each episode feels like a movie.

Question, wife watched Episode 1 with me and when homeboy pulled a machine gun out of the cadaver, she was out.... does it stay pretty bloody and crazy?

Yes, but doable. Wife loves it !!

Got a notification for a new Athletic article titled "Vols show more signs of progress", man he just keeps digging that hole. Ubben should come explain himself and his continuing hit pieces.
Oh yeah, that's how it works. If he does a real piece, it just magically undoes any trolling posts from when we were struggling.
Nailed it.

More on the running game with Kentucky –

We’ve had 4 common opponents with the Wildcats, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State, and South Carolina. Kentucky lost all 4 of their games and we won 2 of ours.

In each of Kentucky’s games against our common opponents to date they gave up 3 rushing touchdowns, a total of 12. We gave up 6, none to Mississippi State and 2 each to the other 3.

Against our common opponents Kentucky has mostly performed marginally better running the ball on offense than we have. We have run the ball generally consistent with the average yards per attempt allowed by our opponents on defense across their entire schedule within about 10% +/-. Kentucky has mostly done the same with the exception of their game with Georgia. They actually ran above the average Georgia has been allowing by about 60%.

The big difference between our two teams versus our common opponents is on defense. Neither one of us did much to slow Georgia down with their rushing offense. They pretty much maintained their average against both of us. We took 15% off of Florida’s average, 38% off of Mississippi State’s average, and 51% off of South Carolina’s average. Georgia and South Carolina got essentially their averages against Kentucky. South Carolina actually got a bit above their average but Mississippi State and Florida significantly outperformed in their running game against the Cats.

When Wilson got hurt in the 2nd game of the season, Sawyer Smith was the backup. Their passing game held up pretty well until Smith got banged up. At that point their passing numbers dropped off a cliff and the running game made up the slack with Bowden turning in significant rushing performances against all comers, 195 against Arkansas, 99 against Georgia, and 204 against Missouri. Smith returned to action against Missouri and threw one pass, completing it for 9 yards. I’m guessing Smith will be available on Saturday and we may find out something more about that later today.

Smith completes 46% of his passes and has thrown 4 TDs and 5 interceptions. His passer rating is just below 100. They haven’t had much of a passing game of late, less than 100 yards per game for each of the last 4 games with a low of 17 passing yards against Georgia. Stoops will know that we know that and he may not care. Bowden has been pretty damn good on the ground and so they may just dare us to stop him.

There’s a lot that seems to go into stopping a guy like Bowden. We can use our defensive ends to prevent him from getting outside. The defensive tackles have to maintain their gaps. We can use one of our linebackers as a spy. We’re used to pressuring QBs (we’re 2nd in the conference for sacks) but most of those guys weren’t going to take off running that often. We can’t over pursue and run ourselves out of position to make a play. We have to hit him, over and over and over, we have to hit him. On offense we can try to control the ball/clock so as to keep him off the field.

Kentucky also has some decent running backs but all-in-all this reminds me of our game with Georgia Tech in 2017, though I don’t think Kentucky is running Paul Johnson’s scheme. It’s going to be very interesting to see what our staff schemes up on defense for Kentucky and whether or not our guys will have the discipline to execute within that scheme. Without Bowden their running game would probably not be that much of a challenge for us on defense. Bowden is not just their leading rusher on offense for the year, statistically he’s also still the leading receiver on the year, so we have to be wary of Smith coming into the game and Bowden lining up as a receiver.

They’ve had an extra week to prepare for us and to get some of their guys in a better health status. Lots of people often say that defense wins games. Fortunately, the best unit on our team, the one that has improved the most as the season has gone on, is our defense. Saturday night, we may have another example of why people often remind us of the value of defense. jmo.

I think we’ve got this. I’m optimistic. I’m just not sure what Pruitt is going to roll out there and I don’t expect him to tell us in advance. He’s much smarter than that. jmo.

Tbf white people don't really have any history nor react to "cracker". I know it's suposed to be derogatory, but when I hear it I sorta chuckle like...ok? Ya got me there I'm white like cracker 😆
In Malaysia I was always called a Chinese derogatory word for “white ghost”. The Thai have another word but it’s a bit more forgiving. I have the interesting perspective of being a white American who has lived most of his adult life as a minority

And yet these schools that every one call such great jobs suck. FSU had a great year, and then a few decent to mediocre years under Jimbo, but they have mostly sucked since Bowden...USC has sucked since PC left, and sucked before he got there...Texas had some great years under Mack, but before and after is a bunch of mediocre to suck.

I just think it is all a load of garbage. You hire the right coach and you win, you hire a moron and you lose...no matter what "advantages" you have. It is harder right now at UT simply because we have had a decade+ of idiots run us in the ground, but if JP can get us rolling we are just as good a job as anybody else.

Look..even used car salesman Bitch Jones was able to almost get there...If that fruitcake can almost do it, a really good coach WILL do it.
Jimbo at FSU:
10 ACCTG app.
12 ACC Champ
14 Nat Champ
13 Acc Champ / Playoff

That’s a whole lot better than “1 great year and a bunch of decent or mediocre”.

I do agree with you though that all it takes is the right coach and you can win big at several schools. There’s probably 15 - 20 schools that can actually win a national title in today’s CFB. I believe we are one of those which is ultimately all that matters

I just think with the “right coach” some programs have a significantly easier and quicker path to reaching that elite level even when they are down.

Reactions: Devo182
I don’t think it’s stirring the pot or a knock on us. There’s just some jobs that are always going to be better.

USC, Texas, UF, FSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma and LSU are the best jobs in the country bc They have the resources and more advantages in profile and pipelines over any other place.

I would group Tennessee in with Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Clemson, ND, Michigan etc.
I’d swap Bama and FSU but this is pretty accurate.

Reactions: mrMet
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back