About the officials.

I guess if something is hard there can’t be any accountability? Brain surgeons get a free pass on malpractice.

Wow. That was easy to find the fallacy there. So glad you posted OP.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Bad post. Sure it’s a high pressure/difficult job, but did you watch the game? The officials from the top conference in college football couldn’t hide their blatant bias. It wasn’t like there were and equal number of high impact bad calls that affected Bama. If there were an equal number of bad called for each team then your post makes sense. Because there was a significant difference in how the game was called against the Vols, what your post should be about is bias, not difficulty. The refs were biased. They became part of the game in a noticeable bad way to benefit one team over the other. Because the conference has a financial interest in Alabama being undefeated, a game called this way is going to make us Vol fans feel like there was a conspiracy to make sure we had no chance to win the game even if we played perfectly. We can’t prove that this conspiracy exists, but we all watched the game and we all saw what happened. A play was stopped when Bama was at a strategic disadvantage, phantom holding calls were called against us, actual blatant holds we’re not called against Bama, targeting was reversed against Bama, it was called against us, and when we had them three and out to get the ball back in a one score game they called a personal foul on Taylor for standing up.

Go back and watch the game, or better yet stick to watching your Futbol games.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
There is so much BS in this thread. I know one former SEC ref who now officiates for the NFL and another SEC line judge. Both close to 40, former Ole Miss football players, phenomenal shape, etc...love asking them questions. People in the business of football are no longer fans, it is work and while I understand this is hard to relate to, making a job of it changes everything.

They are graded on all games. They do get put on probation for blowing calls. They aren’t allowed to ref games for their alma mater and they also are not allowed to participate in “fandom” of any type in public. They have random drug screens and physicals. SEC is constantly recruiting but they are extremely selective. I know many of HS ref that has not made the cut and some of them were pretty dang decent. Also, dummies need not apply as many a meathead who loves football has been denied. They break up crews sometimes but strive to keep them together and they take pride in their performance while trying to be the best and ultimately officiate the SEC Champ game as that is the crew that graded out the best for that year. The bonus is nice as well I hear.

Video should have the final say in anything officiating, period. Screw the technicality crap, this needs to go as officiating is all about keeping a contest fair and as safe as possible. Just because it wasn’t targeting doesn’t mean RTP can’t be called, this is ludicrous. Subjective calls have to be minimized as with the DT call. Blew some calls, yes. Cheating, highly, highly doubtful.

For the record, pee wee soccer is not even close to applicable.

Do you believe officials should be graded AND this released publicly every week? Why not publish where each official went to HS and college? Why not publish the findings after each game on why each flag was thrown (this is why this play took 1 second, why holding was called here, why it wasn’t here, why this was targeting without a flag thrown, why this was a personal foul, why this wasn’t, etc). I would like to get your thoughts on this.

If these officials are above reproach then why aren’t their grades? Because right now the results of officiating Saturday and the backgrounds of those in the SEC office in charge and the resulting silence looks like there is something nefarious going on.

After reading most of the trashing that the refs got at the bama game, I have something to say to you guys who are sh$% talking. You think its easy? YOU try it. I've been a soccer referee since 2003 and it wasn't until the last few years that I feel that I "get it". Officiating ANY sport at other than the Pee wee level takes years of dedication, study, and practice. Once boys get to the junior high age, they are fast and you have less than a second to decide all of this; fair or foul, if foul, then what kind of foul, and did the fouled team lose a promising play ( yes, advantage IS called in football, just not out loud like in soccer. Remember, you are also usually RUNNING when this is taking place. At the higher level of the game, referees are vetted thoroughly before they are even considered for selection, and once chosen, it is easy to get the boot, and nigh on impossible to come back once that happens. The refs do tons of tape study and are debriefed by mentors after every game, every decision gone over. Now, as for former players becoming officials, U.S. soccer had a special fast track for former pros to be officials but they called it off because they found that the players tended to THINK like a player and not like a ref, and they are very, very, different mind sets. Being a "homer" would be immediately noticed by the staff, and your career would end that day. In any sport. The fastest way for a player or coach, or fan to get tossed out from any game i officiate is to accuse me of being a cheater. Face it folks, the call may be bad, but the intent was anything but.
Sounds like another referee makes a lot of bad calls and doesnt like accountability.

not saying it's not a hard job, but that's why we have replay, isn't it...also, like Coach Pruitt said..."where's the accountability"...deafening silence from the SEC...the fix was in....period...

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT THE GAMECOCKS!

After reading most of the trashing that the refs got at the bama game, I have something to say to you guys who are sh$% talking. You think its easy? YOU try it. I've been a soccer referee since 2003 and it wasn't until the last few years that I feel that I "get it". Officiating ANY sport at other than the Pee wee level takes years of dedication, study, and practice. Once boys get to the junior high age, they are fast and you have less than a second to decide all of this; fair or foul, if foul, then what kind of foul, and did the fouled team lose a promising play ( yes, advantage IS called in football, just not out loud like in soccer. Remember, you are also usually RUNNING when this is taking place. At the higher level of the game, referees are vetted thoroughly before they are even considered for selection, and once chosen, it is easy to get the boot, and nigh on impossible to come back once that happens. The refs do tons of tape study and are debriefed by mentors after every game, every decision gone over. Now, as for former players becoming officials, U.S. soccer had a special fast track for former pros to be officials but they called it off because they found that the players tended to THINK like a player and not like a ref, and they are very, very, different mind sets. Being a "homer" would be immediately noticed by the staff, and your career would end that day. In any sport. The fastest way for a player or coach, or fan to get tossed out from any game i officiate is to accuse me of being a cheater. Face it folks, the call may be bad, but the intent was anything but.
”Refs are vetted thoroughly”...just so you know, we have different definitions of the word ‘thoroughly’. Like the ref who called the UT vs. LSU game who had Facebook pics of him in LSU gear and being a LSU fan. Yeah...so thorough no one checks Facebook.

No one said it was easy but when u watch , for instance the DT personal foul that is not hard, its just bias. No way u can watch that game or the Florida vs SC game and not see a problem beyond just missing a call or two.
It was bias and it was obvious in both games. Both teams getting preferential treatment were playoff contenders. You think that was an accident??

Reactions: preacherwebb
Explanation given to Pruitt from the SEC was they needed to confirm the ball placement was correct. Buncha horse**** and only confirms the corruption if you ask me.
Yeah. That's why they went to a replay to confirm it was correct. Right? Wait. What? they dint?

SEC refs do have a hard time. The head Ref calls timeout and figuring out what to talk about with the Back Judge is a big damn deal.
Do you talk about dinner spots, strip joints, Aleve versus Advil? I mean it’s impossible to stay on track PLUS you’ve also gotta come up with a lame ass reason why you stopped the game to begin with. “Uh, reset the game clock or sideline warning.....gimme some help here blue cause we gotta slow this motha down”

So you see, it is a lot to process in the moment and totally get why we should NOT be angry about refs. Matter of fact I’m gonna apologize to myself for getting angry and promise to never let it happen again.

Reactions: dono
Soccer huh, thanks for your comment commie.
Why is American football called football at all? It only uses a foot 5% of the time. Why? Because it originally came from football(soccer) and the yanks changed it to be totally different from the original Brit sport.

Soccer. I don't know squat about soccer.. But what I hate is the clock counts forward instead of backwards and the fans don't really know how much time is left. Ref finally says, hey, game over.. Who can challenge that?

WHEN YOU DO MAKE A STUPID DECISION, EXPECT TO TAKE THE HEAT!

OPTIONS ARE DON'T MAKE STUPID CALLS, OR GET OUT OF THE GAME!

THE 15 YARD PENALTY THAT CHANGED THE GAME WAS STUPID!

THE REF WHO MADE THAT CALL SHOULD BE BARRED FOR LIFE!

Wrong Football hoss!,
I'm sure that the Bama-bias infested officials are glad that a soccer ref has come to their defense on the Volnation forum.
The blatancy of officials interfering with teams ability to beat bama has become too obvious to ignore.

Reactions: VolFanatic27
1) Every official, at least at the FBS level, should have a camera on their hat. If necessary, we could see what they were looking at, and if they turned the blind eye, or may have just missed the call.

2) Coaches have to face the press after games. Players have to face the press after games. It's high time officials should have to face the press after the game.

3) Referees should be graded after every game, with that made public (at the very least, to University and AD officials). Refs receiving higher grades should be rewarded accordingly with bonuses, and opportunities to work conference championship games, bowl games, playoff games, and the bonuses should be on a sliding scale ... the bigger the bowl, the bigger the bonus, ect.

4) Referees receiving lower grades could then be identified and monitored more closely, receiving more and better training if needed. Failing refs should be benched or fired.

5) We have replay ... use it ... but even the replay booth should have rules to go by, and be graded as well. (As an aside, replays should have an absolute time limit of, let's say, 2 minutes max, and if the ball has been snapped, too bad, can't stop the play.)

I'm sure there are other things, but this would, at least, provide a level of accountability and scrutiny that could clean up this portion of the game.

jmho

Have you heard the new lyrics to the Bama fight song?

We just penalized the hell out of you!
Rammer Brown Bag, Yellow ref flag
give 'em 15 Alabama

The higher up the person or group that is pushing a particular team to be in the playoff, the easier it might be to get away with accepting money on the side risking those years of hard work and dedication you refer to in your post.

A soccer ref...are you kidding me! Hahahah

I highly admire your passion but feel you're personal experiences and attachment to your profession is clouding your judgement. With all due respect, do you know the crew that officiated this game? If not how can you defend their intent? I mean at my store we have no employee theft issues. So does that mean that in every store theft cannot occur from employees? You cannot take your morals, ethics and personal standards and apply them to everyone that has the same profession as you. Maybe another example to make my point abundantly clear since your rant was so close to your heart. There was a school teacher who slept with her student and went to jail (actually a few) Does this then mean all school teachers sleep with their students and share those same levels or morals and ethics? Does it make sense that each individual regardless of their equal education, qualifications and field of employment can and do possess different morals, ethics and personal standards that guide their performance? As well as these differences can cause disparities amongst intent in job performance. Unfortunately corruption in the workplace is common when driven by personal financial gain and future promotions within the workplace. I'm sincerely happy that your place of employment is performing at such a high standard of ethics you cannot perceive this being an issue in a different place of employment amongst those who have entered into the same profession as you. Unfortunately that view is naive and narrow minded. The sharing of a profession does not grant you the ability to know another person's intent does it?
The Vols and Gamecocks were screwed for a reason. Simple. SEC and ESPN wanted a undefeated LSU and Bama game and they got it. They also wanted and got a one defeated Gator and Bulldog game..that got that too. Simple. It’s collusion and fraud in the SEC...all about TV ratings and Money. Has you seen ESPN ratings lately. In the toilet. See the trades and you’ll be educated. ESPN is laying off about 500 people in their busiest time of the season. Open your eyes folks!

The Vols and Gamecocks were screwed for a reason. Simple. SEC and ESPN wanted a undefeated LSU and Bama game and they got it. They also wanted and got a one defeated Gator and Bulldog game..that got that too. Simple. It’s collusion and fraud in the SEC...all about TV ratings and Money. Has you seen ESPN ratings lately. In the toilet. See the trades and you’ll be educated. ESPN is laying off about 500 people in their busiest time of the season. Open your eyes folks!

The only problem I can see with your take on this (and please, this is not any sort of attack so don't take it as such) is ... don't forget that CBS gets first SEC game choice and the SECCG as well. I agree with the principle of what you saying, but if there is a conspiracy (not saying there's not) it's even bigger than what you are saying.

Does that make sense? It makes sense when I proofread it before I post it anyway.

Officiating soccer is brutal, staying awake for a whole game really is tough. Keep up the good work.

My 2 cents. AXXN makes a wonderful product for police that records both audio and video for review purposes. SEC office needs to contact AXXN and get some stripped versions of those vests ... @SECOfficiating . Let's see what they saw and hear what they said!

Officiating soccer is brutal, staying awake for a whole game really is tough. Keep up the good work.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: AM64
Greg Sankey releases a letter on SEC officiating: LINK

While officials have always faced scrutiny, the effect has been intensified in recent years with the evolution of high-definition televisions and the ability to view super slow-motion replays from multiple angles on screens of all sizes and via replays shown on monster, crystal clear in-stadium video boards.

The rules of football permit us to utilize modern technologies to review some, but not all, officiating calls. And while some calls are overturned, we know from our extensive review of all game films that our officials get the call right in the vast, vast majority of situations. SEC Football Officials are dedicated to their work and approach each game with integrity and focus on fairly administering the competition.

Basically telling us to shut up and to go **** ourselves.

I did see though, that one of the officials for the Bama-LSU game is a UT alum. Almost his entire family are LSU alums with a couple others being Miss St. and Auburn alums. Perhaps Bama gets a taste of their own BS.

VN Store

Back