About the officials.

After reading most of the trashing that the refs got at the bama game, I have something to say to you guys who are sh$% talking. You think its easy? YOU try it. I've been a soccer referee since 2003 and it wasn't until the last few years that I feel that I "get it". Officiating ANY sport at other than the Pee wee level takes years of dedication, study, and practice. Once boys get to the junior high age, they are fast and you have less than a second to decide all of this; fair or foul, if foul, then what kind of foul, and did the fouled team lose a promising play ( yes, advantage IS called in football, just not out loud like in soccer. Remember, you are also usually RUNNING when this is taking place. At the higher level of the game, referees are vetted thoroughly before they are even considered for selection, and once chosen, it is easy to get the boot, and nigh on impossible to come back once that happens. The refs do tons of tape study and are debriefed by mentors after every game, every decision gone over. Now, as for former players becoming officials, U.S. soccer had a special fast track for former pros to be officials but they called it off because they found that the players tended to THINK like a player and not like a ref, and they are very, very, different mind sets. Being a "homer" would be immediately noticed by the staff, and your career would end that day. In any sport. The fastest way for a player or coach, or fan to get tossed out from any game i officiate is to accuse me of being a cheater. Face it folks, the call may be bad, but the intent was anything but.

Nothing like equating some peewee soccer league gig to SEC caliber referees

[VIDEO=]

I agree. To me, the problem is that the players so fast and so quick. that to catch most things needs the replay cameras and that goes for ANY major sport. As for transparency, no sport that i know of is very transparent about the ups and downs of an officials career outside of the English premier league. The NFL wishes they had the money involved in that league.
[/VIDEO]
Out of the The top 50 sports teams that have the highest monetary value 25 are NFL teams, 7 are soccer and the rest NBA or MLB.

100 thumbs down. The speed of the game is not an overwhelming problem for referees to make the correct call most of the time. At least two calls in the Alabama game were blown and changed the course of t
100 thumbs down. The speed of the game is not an overwhelming problem for referees to make the correct call most of the time. At least two calls in the Alabama game were blown and changed the course of the game and possibly the outcome.
So you have been on the field and seen this for yourself?

After reading most of the trashing that the refs got at the bama game, I have something to say to you guys who are sh$% talking. You think its easy? YOU try it. I've been a soccer referee since 2003 and it wasn't until the last few years that I feel that I "get it". Officiating ANY sport at other than the Pee wee level takes years of dedication, study, and practice. Once boys get to the junior high age, they are fast and you have less than a second to decide all of this; fair or foul, if foul, then what kind of foul, and did the fouled team lose a promising play ( yes, advantage IS called in football, just not out loud like in soccer. Remember, you are also usually RUNNING when this is taking place. At the higher level of the game, referees are vetted thoroughly before they are even considered for selection, and once chosen, it is easy to get the boot, and nigh on impossible to come back once that happens. The refs do tons of tape study and are debriefed by mentors after every game, every decision gone over. Now, as for former players becoming officials, U.S. soccer had a special fast track for former pros to be officials but they called it off because they found that the players tended to THINK like a player and not like a ref, and they are very, very, different mind sets. Being a "homer" would be immediately noticed by the staff, and your career would end that day. In any sport. The fastest way for a player or coach, or fan to get tossed out from any game i officiate is to accuse me of being a cheater. Face it folks, the call may be bad, but the intent was anything but.
Don't support inferior work habits.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
We should all be glad this latest Screw Job from the refs Did Not result in a Rule Change....I guess?!?!?!?!?

Reactions: LibertyVol
At least they should replace the replay oversight in Birmingham with an Artifical Intelligence program. That at least would remove the kind of stupid bias that booted Bituli for an unflagged "targetting" call.

Plus, Artifical Intelligence is better than the current no intelligence

Reactions: DonDiego
The other issue is where was the review at when it was needed to correct those blatantly egregious calls and no calls. Why didn’t they at least look at DT’s personal foul, the pi on JJ in the end zone, the phantom call on Morris on JJ’s td or the hands to JG’s face when his helmet came off. It’s not like there was any other games going on that late...

I highly admire your passion but feel you're personal experiences and attachment to your profession is clouding your judgement. With all due respect, do you know the crew that officiated this game? If not how can you defend their intent? I mean at my store we have no employee theft issues. So does that mean that in every store theft cannot occur from employees? You cannot take your morals, ethics and personal standards and apply them to everyone that has the same profession as you. Maybe another example to make my point abundantly clear since your rant was so close to your heart. There was a school teacher who slept with her student and went to jail (actually a few) Does this then mean all school teachers sleep with their students and share those same levels or morals and ethics? Does it make sense that each individual regardless of their equal education, qualifications and field of employment can and do possess different morals, ethics and personal standards that guide their performance? As well as these differences can cause disparities amongst intent in job performance. Unfortunately corruption in the workplace is common when driven by personal financial gain and future promotions within the workplace. I'm sincerely happy that your place of employment is performing at such a high standard of ethics you cannot perceive this being an issue in a different place of employment amongst those who have entered into the same profession as you. Unfortunately that view is naive and narrow minded. The sharing of a profession does not grant you the ability to know another person's intent does it?

That whole crew should be fired. +++That whole crew of the Florida and South Carolina game should be fired. Who knows, that game might’ve caused us the East to win.

Good news California is banning contact football practice. Next flag football. Surprised this jewel did not originate from the sport who introduced us to the participation trophy (fütbol)
I don't think most people have a problem with bang bang spur of the moment calls. But a flag gets dropped on a player getting up and that ref is gonna rightfully hear about it.

Go Vols

Reactions: JacketVol
Would you have missed this obvious offsides line up. Both line judges missed it.

2622B222-26BA-496C-845E-687A747C8EF4.jpeg

I highly admire your passion but feel you're personal experiences and attachment to your profession is clouding your judgement. With all due respect, do you know the crew that officiated this game? If not how can you defend their intent? I mean at my store we have no employee theft issues. So does that mean that in every store theft cannot occur from employees? You cannot take your morals, ethics and personal standards and apply them to everyone that has the same profession as you. Maybe another example to make my point abundantly clear since your rant was so close to your heart. There was a school teacher who slept with her student and went to jail (actually a few) Does this then mean all school teachers sleep with their students and share those same levels or morals and ethics? Does it make sense that each individual regardless of their equal education, qualifications and field of employment can and do possess different morals, ethics and personal standards that guide their performance? As well as these differences can cause disparities amongst intent in job performance. Unfortunately corruption in the workplace is common when driven by personal financial gain and future promotions within the workplace. I'm sincerely happy that your place of employment is performing at such a high standard of ethics you cannot perceive this being an issue in a different place of employment amongst those who have entered into the same profession as you. Unfortunately that view is naive and narrow minded. The sharing of a profession does not grant you the ability to know another person's intent does it?
All that I'm saying is that the vetting of officials in the higher end of a sport is extreme. And i believe that your attachment to the Vols has clouded YOUR judgment. That there is incompetence in officiating, cheating is rare. As for homerism, I DO wonder why officials from the home teams area are allowed to ref there.

VN Store

Back