About the officials.

mudhen

After reading most of the trashing that the refs got at the bama game, I have something to say to you guys who are sh$% talking. You think its easy? YOU try it. I've been a soccer referee since 2003 and it wasn't until the last few years that I feel that I "get it". Officiating ANY sport at other than the Pee wee level takes years of dedication, study, and practice. Once boys get to the junior high age, they are fast and you have less than a second to decide all of this; fair or foul, if foul, then what kind of foul, and did the fouled team lose a promising play ( yes, advantage IS called in football, just not out loud like in soccer. Remember, you are also usually RUNNING when this is taking place. At the higher level of the game, referees are vetted thoroughly before they are even considered for selection, and once chosen, it is easy to get the boot, and nigh on impossible to come back once that happens. The refs do tons of tape study and are debriefed by mentors after every game, every decision gone over. Now, as for former players becoming officials, U.S. soccer had a special fast track for former pros to be officials but they called it off because they found that the players tended to THINK like a player and not like a ref, and they are very, very, different mind sets. Being a "homer" would be immediately noticed by the staff, and your career would end that day. In any sport. The fastest way for a player or coach, or fan to get tossed out from any game i officiate is to accuse me of being a cheater. Face it folks, the call may be bad, but the intent was anything but.

Reactions: Cormock Mac
After reading most of the trashing that the refs got at the bama game, I have something to say to you guys who are sh$% talking. You think its easy? YOU try it. I've been a soccer referee since 2003 and it wasn't until the last few years that I feel that I "get it". Officiating ANY sport at other than the Pee wee level takes years of dedication, study, and practice. Once boys get to the junior high age, they are fast and you have less than a second to decide all of this; fair or foul, if foul, then what kind of foul, and did the fouled team lose a promising play ( yes, advantage IS called in football, just not out loud like in soccer. Remember, you are also usually RUNNING when this is taking place. At the higher level of the game, referees are vetted thoroughly before they are even considered for selection, and once chosen, it is easy to get the boot, and nigh on impossible to come back once that happens. The refs do tons of tape study and are debriefed by mentors after every game, every decision gone over. Now, as for former players becoming officials, U.S. soccer had a special fast track for former pros to be officials but they called it off because they found that the players tended to THINK like a player and not like a ref, and they are very, very, different mind sets. Being a "homer" would be immediately noticed by the staff, and your career would end that day. In any sport. The fastest way for a player or coach, or fan to get tossed out from any game i officiate is to accuse me of being a cheater. Face it folks, the call may be bad, but the intent was anything but.
Referees can be on the take especially at the college or pro level. Vetting has nothing to do with a specific official if he covers his tracks.

Lol

I got to the point where you mentioned being a soccer referee, and thought, "The Hell with this". Soccer is for dumb asses, especially in a football discussion. Only thing soccer is good for is creating field goal kickers. Bunch of overrated flopping for red cards wussies. Next time you want to discuss football, leave that "I referee soccer" crap out. Because the rest of your post went unread.

I got to the point where you mentioned being a soccer referee, and thought, "The Hell with this". Soccer is for dumb asses, especially in a football discussion. Only thing soccer is good for is creating field goal kickers. Bunch of overrated flopping for red cards wussies. Next time you want to discuss football, leave that "I referee soccer" crap out. Because the rest of your post went unread.
Your ignorance is showing.

Pruitt outlined the problem with the officials perfectly.

There is no other way to say it. The officiating sucked in our game, and the SEC crews have been terrible all season.

It isn't going to be perfect, but everyone from coaches to players are playing high stakes poker in terms of repercussions for poor performance.

Whereas, as far as I know, there is no peer review, no coach review of officials. Officials who consistently blow calls should be fired.

The metrics should be public. If you make X number of egregious errors in a season, you are done.

The SEC has plenty of money to get quality officials for every game. But like anything that isn't going to happen without serious performance expectations and grading.

Edit

So anyway, when someone says "You try it".. My response is "That's the ****ing problem". Any schmuck off the street can decide to be a ref and find their way into the SEC if they know a guy and can pass a test.

SEC refs should be top 20-80 football refs in the world. If they can't do a better job than some random message board poster, that is a ****ing problem.

Last edited:
Explain the LSU-UT basketball referee being allowed to ref that game, even though he was clearly an LSU fan. No, the system is broken.

[VIDEO=]
Pruitt outlined the problem with the officials perfectly.

There is no other way to say it. The officiating sucked in our game, and the SEC crews have been terrible all season.

It isn't going to be perfect, but everyone from coaches to players are playing high stakes poker in terms of repercussions for poor performance.

Whereas, as far as I know, there is no peer review, no coach review of officials. Officials who consistently blow calls should be fired.

The metrics should be public. If you make X number of egregious errors in a season, you are done.

The SEC has plenty of money to get quality officials for every game. But like anything that isn't going to happen without serious performance expectations and grading.
I agree. To me, the problem is that the players so fast and so quick. that to catch most things needs the replay cameras and that goes for ANY major sport. As for transparency, no sport that i know of is very transparent about the ups and downs of an officials career outside of the English premier league. The NFL wishes they had the money involved in that league.
[/VIDEO]

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Hi Mr. Shaw! How are things at the SEC office!?

Mistakes are one thing, blatant bias is another. We matched our average total per game in the first quarter. Most flags were thrown on Bama third downs and when were were in the red zone. There was a point where a Bama play literally took one second off the clock and the officials never corrected it! You can put your head in the sand or call it out for what it is.

And oh yeah....

Did you notice how hesitant they were to even call a CLEAR td? How about the late hit on our qb? At the least it was unnecessary roughness. Lord forbid our defensive get up off the Alabama qb. He should have carefully placed his hands on each side of qb and gently lifted in an upward direction, twisted his body where his legs were clear before applying knees to the grass huh? How about the stoppage of our trick play? Moving too fast? Each ref is responsible for his area of the game. How did the line judge miss not one but 2 holds on a single play for Alabama yet somehow Wanya gets called for some kind of phantom hold? How does a shotgun, 10 yard out only take 1 second? I can go on and on but I’ve been watching as well as a part of this game for 25 years and I’ve NEVER seen a more blatantly obvious slant to the officiating. AND IVE WATCHED PATRIOT GAMES! Dude..... you should’ve not posted this thread. You’re about to get wrecked. Too soon

Perhaps. And it is puzzling to me that the power five conferences dont use the same kind of system as pro sports where officials are brought in from other areas than the ones that they live in.
I have always wondered about that myself. Call in somebody who didn't grow up hating Tennessee, or the SEC in general.

Reactions: LocoVol
[VIDEO=]

I agree. To me, the problem is that the players so fast and so quick. that to catch most things needs the replay cameras and that goes for ANY major sport. As for transparency, no sport that i know of is very transparent about the ups and downs of an officials career outside of the English premier league. The NFL wishes they had the money involved in that league.
[/VIDEO]
100 thumbs down. The speed of the game is not an overwhelming problem for referees to make the correct call most of the time. At least two calls in the Alabama game were blown and changed the course of the game and possibly the outcome.

VN Store

Back