Tough Decision For Pruitt

I'm not sure there has been an actual confirmation of what is wrong...only "concussion protocol" has been said. Although I could have missed and actual diagnosis....

Nice post. There has been no actual concussion diagnoses with specificity that I am aware of.

Reactions: Sara Clark
I would not risk Maurer's health even if the medical staff clears him. The best treatment for a concussion is rest. he gives us the best shot at winning the game, but the risk for him long term is too high.
How do you know he's had 2 concussions???? It's all on the medical staff and his family. If he's cleared to play you can bet he will play and he should play. I trust the doctors who actually know the problem than someone on a message board saying he shouldn't play even if he's cleared and acting like he has more knowledge of the situation than the doctors. I promise you the doctors aren't going to clear him if he is not ready to play. GBO!

Maurer has had three starts-and three out due to injury. For some reason, many want to forget UGA Knocking him out-in short he is "three up, three out". I can not make any medial judgement for the young man, he, his doctors/coaches are the only ones in a position to make a sane decision. But I do know in the last three games-he has been put out with an injury, I hope this is a fluke, and not something we should become accustomed to.

Idk looks like pattern but it’s been some fluke plays honestly. I don’t know that I would say he’s injury prone; he just doesn’t seem to know how to protect himself yet.

In my opinion, Concussions are serious and need to be handled by true professionals. In the same breath, I think that oftentimes they are blown way out of proportion.
It is concerning to me that he has been taken out in 2 consecutive games with supposed concussions.
I would never risk the long term health of any kid to win a game period!
I hope the BM is cleared and play this Saturday because we really need him.

JJ may not have played qb since high school, but he is a leader and he knows the offense. Im sure he's more than capable to toss some slants, screens, and keep n run ala Dobbs. If we need the deep ball, throw Shrout in there.

If anyone listened to Pruitt's presser, it seemed pretty clear that Guarantano is the most likely choice to start this week should Maurer be unable to go. Pruitt pretty much stated that he still believes in Guarantano and that he will still help us compete and win games. Now, some of that might just be coach speak, but knowing his options it's not hard to understand why Pruitt still believes JG is the best option moving forward. He sees Shrout in practice every day. If he doesn't believe he's ready to start, who are we to question Pruitt?

I'm 100% on the Shrout bandwagon, but from what we've seen on the field so far in his limited reps, nothing is showing me that Shrout is ready to win football games. As much as it sucks to say, we might be stuck with Guarantano the rest of the year.
I watched the same press conference and got nothing of the sort. To me, him saying they would get the other two guys ready without committing to JG as the starter... points toward more indecision than you seem to see. Shrout hasn't had his shot. If he's the guy then they'll have to put in a gameplan for him. We'll start to see it in the practice reports. If he gets time with the 1's or if Maurer is with the 1's and Shrout takes over with the 2's... he's playing.

JG just can't get the job done. UT becomes too easy to defend with him at QB.

If anyone listened to Pruitt's presser, it seemed pretty clear that Guarantano is the most likely choice to start this week should Maurer be unable to go. Pruitt pretty much stated that he still believes in Guarantano and that he will still help us compete and win games. Now, some of that might just be coach speak, but knowing his options it's not hard to understand why Pruitt still believes JG is the best option moving forward. He sees Shrout in practice every day. If he doesn't believe he's ready to start, who are we to question Pruitt?

I'm 100% on the Shrout bandwagon, but from what we've seen on the field so far in his limited reps, nothing is showing me that Shrout is ready to win football games. As much as it sucks to say, we might be stuck with Guarantano the rest of the year.
I dont think JS was mentally prepared to play in that Alabama game - looked like he never expected to get in at all -- He may be better if he knows he will be playing

Idk looks like pattern but it’s been some fluke plays honestly. I don’t know that I would say he’s injury prone; he just doesn’t seem to know how to protect himself yet.
I hope you are right, flukes do happen, it is just the nature of living, but if another "fluke" happens in his next start, I'm going to start tilting toward "Injury prone", or, not being given enough time to heal. In either case, I wish him a speedy and full recovery-looking forward to seeing him play again, soon.

Reactions: sjt18
Honestly you almost have to start Shrout. I think the team will play poorly if JG starts. They just don’t believe they can win with him. At least with Shrout they don’t have the JG mentality going into it.
Agree completely

Reactions: 508mikey
Honestly you almost have to start Shrout. I think the team will play poorly if JG starts. They just don’t believe they can win with him. At least with Shrout they don’t have the JG mentality going into it.
He was very well received after coming in for JG in the Bama game. Protection broke down... but some of those guys seem to want anyone but JG out there. I doubt it is personal. They just want someone that they trust and who trusts them.

Reactions: joevol33
Has it been made official that Maurer has been concussed? If so, 2 concussions in back to back games is very, very worrisome. If Maurer cannot go then Shrout should be the starter.

He was very well received after coming in for JG in the Bama game. Protection broke down... but some of those guys seem to want anyone but JG out there. I doubt it is personal. They just want someone that they trust and who trusts them.

the OL played very well against Bama. If they can play that well against SC then I think Shrout has a good chance to succeed.

Reactions: sjt18
Has it been made official that Maurer has been concussed? If so, 2 concussions in back to back games is very, very worrisome. If Maurer cannot go then Shrout should be the starter.
I know Pruitt said it was the first time, but haven't heard nothing but protocol about Saturday. They may have just wanted to not take a chance because of the week before. I may have missed it though about it being officially a concussion this time.

If you're Pruitt and Chaney, how can Guarantano ever play again? What would that say to the rest of the players? I wonder if he even dresses for the remaining SEC games.
Does anyone think this team will play for JG? They know what happened on the goalline play.

What to do with Maurer this week and going forward? 2 concussions in 2 weeks is treading dangerous water. At this point it is not something you play around with; the more concussions you get the easier it is to get another one. If he keeps Maurer out another week I would not blame him. Gotta protect your players.

The real question is... Do you roll with JG or Shrout against South Carolina if Maurer is out? This is a must win game.
Jennings and Shrout split snaps, JG doesn't leave the bench. Maurer probably shouldn't play the rest of the year but Pruitt did the right thing today by putting it on the medical staff and taking it out of his hands

I don't see how you can't start Shrout for this game. Maurer likely can't play, and it is inconceivable that JG gives Tennessee a better chance than Shrout, even though Shrout has received a tiny amount of playing time. You saw how much they trusted him against Miss St. Surely they trust Shrout more than that, right?

If you start Shrout, Tennessee can at least make a defense believe he could plausibly throw the ball downfield with some accuracy. There's no such fear with JG under center.

If BM cannot start, Shrout should get his chance. Next up should be a walkon or whoever is next. JG should not see the field again. Does anyone think JG can beat any SEC team? I dont.

VN Store

Back