Tough Decision For Pruitt

De La Cloobs

The Vol is strong in this one.
What to do with Maurer this week and going forward? 2 concussions in 2 weeks is treading dangerous water. At this point it is not something you play around with; the more concussions you get the easier it is to get another one. If he keeps Maurer out another week I would not blame him. Gotta protect your players.

The real question is... Do you roll with JG or Shrout against South Carolina if Maurer is out? This is a must win game.

Reactions: RollerVol
The decision on Maurer should rest 100% with the medical professionals trained to deal with these situations along with Maurer's family. If Maurer isn't cleared, I think you have to go with Shrout while mixing in some wildcat with Jennings. In the wildcat package, I would work in a couple of easy pass plays for Jennings based on what throws he's comfortable with. We'll have to rely heavily on the running game. At least Shrout will throw it down the field which should loosen up the run game even if the passes are incomplete. Barring an injury to Shrout, JG watches from the sideline, IMO.

If the medical staff says Maurer is out then the decision gets easier.

I'd be inclined to error on the side of caution with him regardless.

Not happy about it but I wont be remotely surprised to see Guarantano taking the snaps again.
If medical clears him you play him. I’d make dam sure medical was certain he’s good before playing him but if he’s cleared and healthy you have to start him.

He’ll no. Guys, Jauan Jennings CAN NOT play QB in the SEC. He is a WR. If they want to put him in for 4-5 wildcat plays, then fine. But he CAN NOT play QB for us, period.
He’s fine for trick plays or whatever but at Qb yeah it’s stupid. You’re playing a subpar Qb and giving away your best wr at the same time.

To be honest I haven't heard an official report that he suffered another concussion. Taking him out of a game for precautionary reasons does not mean an official concussion. If anyone has heard a coach or staff member say he did suffer another concussion I would love to see the article. And I am not saying he didn't. I am saying I have not heard any official announcement. All I have heard is fans speculating.

What to do with Maurer this week and going forward? 2 concussions in 2 weeks is treading dangerous water. At this point it is not something you play around with; the more concussions you get the easier it is to get another one. If he keeps Maurer out another week I would not blame him. Gotta protect your players.

The real question is... Do you roll with JG or Shrout against South Carolina if Maurer is out? This is a must win game.
One, unless you are a team doctor or have some insider source... don't make assumptions about Maurer's injury.

Two, I would give Shrout his shot. I suspect he would play fine. He might make a mistake but with him at least you have a chance.

To be honest I haven't heard an official report that he suffered another concussion. Taking him out of a game for precautionary reasons does not mean an official concussion. If anyone has heard a coach or staff member say he did suffer another concussion I would love to see the article. And I am not saying he didn't. I am saying I have not heard any official announcement. All I have heard is fans speculating.
I'm not sure there has been an actual confirmation of what is wrong...only "concussion protocol" has been said. Although I could have missed an actual diagnosis....

Maurer has had three starts-and three out due to injury. For some reason, many want to forget UGA Knocking him out-in short he is "three up, three out". I can not make any medial judgement for the young man, he, his doctors/coaches are the only ones in a position to make a sane decision. But I do know in the last three games-he has been put out with an injury, I hope this is a fluke, and not something we should become accustomed to.

Reactions: Vol524 and sjt18
I understand everyone's concerns for Brian's health. First and foremost his health is most important. But I also trust the medical staff on this matter. We as fans only know what the staff and Brian want us to know (privacy laws) so if Brian is medically cleared and coach Pruitt starts him I have no issue with that.
With that said as much as I would not like it if the staff determines JG gives us the best shot to win if Maurer is out then I will roll with that as well. Not advocating in the least for JG just that I will trust the staff on this one.

Nobody has ever confirmed he had 2 concussions. Once again people are confusing protocol with having a concussion. The first one against State was protocol, not sure about the 2nd. GBO!

If anyone listened to Pruitt's presser, it seemed pretty clear that Guarantano is the most likely choice to start this week should Maurer be unable to go. Pruitt pretty much stated that he still believes in Guarantano and that he will still help us compete and win games. Now, some of that might just be coach speak, but knowing his options it's not hard to understand why Pruitt still believes JG is the best option moving forward. He sees Shrout in practice every day. If he doesn't believe he's ready to start, who are we to question Pruitt?

I'm 100% on the Shrout bandwagon, but from what we've seen on the field so far in his limited reps, nothing is showing me that Shrout is ready to win football games. As much as it sucks to say, we might be stuck with Guarantano the rest of the year.

VN Store

Back