Tough Decision For Pruitt

Does anyone think this team will play for JG? They know what happened on the goalline play.

If you're a player, you have about 70 other team mates to play for. They'll line up and play regardless of who's taking snaps.

I would rep the heck out of Shrout and Bittner this week. I sure hope they don’t trot out JG. The boos will be deafening if they do.

Shrout. But I hate to be JP and make the
decision. Call the team together minus JG
and put it up for a vote

Oh, hell no. We're paying guys millions of dollars to make these calls.

Tough call. Glad I don't have to make it. Multiple factors in play here.

If Maurer is 100%, he starts. At 2-5 with 5 to play, he's clearly our best chance for 6 wins, and a bowl game. If he's not 100%, then...

USCe defense is legit. They'll stack the box and dare JG to beat them.. He can't. That young man is a psychological train wreck right now, and likely will be moving forward. He couldn't hit a barn from the inside. Muschamp, and every other HC and DC in our remaining games are hoping they face JG. It is what it is.

Shrout? Who knows? If he's #3, how far behind #2 (JG) is he? Is he a total liability, or an unknown quantity? If he can run a dozen plays well, does that put him ahead of JG, who has all the physical skills but can't seem to finish a drive?

JJ is not an option. He's (a) too valuable as a WR, and (b) not an SEC QB, in any capacity. If it comes down to JG or JJ, pass on the double consonants. Play out the string, and we'll start over next year.

UT surrendered any room for error with the Ga State and BYU games. If not for those, we're at 4-3, and have room to experiment. Now? Not so much. Every remaining game is an almost-elimination game. We get one strike out of the next five. Two strikes, we're out, and we get the bat shoved up our....well, you know. Nuclear Baseball. See you next year.

Right now, JG is a good "ahead by 17 with 3 minutes to play, and our defense is playing lights out" QB. Anything less than that, and he's a risky move at best. So what can Shrout do, or not?

Like I said, if Maurer is not 100%, or goes down, it's a tough call, and I'm glad I don't have to make it.

Go Vols.

Last edited:
They're going to play conservative and establish the run with the way the OL has played. SC isnt exactly going to light up the scoreboard.
You dont know what Shrout gives you. Start him. If its poor play, at least he got his shot and you can go back to JG.
Jennings all the way is a dumb a idea. You gonna do that the rest of the season if Maurer never stays healthy? Who is Jennings gonna throw to?

I think there is only 2 scenarios that JG could play. One is obviously an injury to Shrout. Second, Shrout practice reps are just so bad that Pruitt doesn’t think he can do it. The latter is highly unlikely but those are the only 2 scenarios in which I see JG playing.
I hope you're right.

We have a strong running game.....been a long time since we could say that!!! That being said start Shrout and use all your assets at RB including Crouch! Run until they shut it down, if they can....

Reactions: Sara Clark
I think JG is capable of beating SEC teams b/c he beat two top 15 SEC teams last season. But he’s falling apart this year and who knows what he can or will be able to do.
Seems he has regressed a lot this year. Yes he did win those two games last year. I expected him to be much better this year. Tim Irwin said on Sunday morning, if he were the coach, JG would not get his football in a game, ever again.

Go Vols...

After seeing the tape on Priuitt's fingering of JG's facemask and looking at his lips. I'm 90% sure he told him that was his last chance. I hope he is done for good.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I don't see how you can't start Shrout for this game. Maurer likely can't play, and it is inconceivable that JG gives Tennessee a better chance than Shrout, even though Shrout has received a tiny amount of playing time. You saw how much they trusted him against Miss St. Surely they trust Shrout more than that, right?

If you start Shrout, Tennessee can at least make a defense believe he could plausibly throw the ball downfield with some accuracy. There's no such fear with JG under center.

I may be alone in this but I don’t think Pruitt trusts JG.

Follow that with Wienkes reaction Saturday.

What to do with Maurer this week and going forward? 2 concussions in 2 weeks is treading dangerous water. At this point it is not something you play around with; the more concussions you get the easier it is to get another one. If he keeps Maurer out another week I would not blame him. Gotta protect your players.

The real question is... Do you roll with JG or Shrout against South Carolina if Maurer is out? This is a must win game.

Has their been an official concussion diagnosis or could it just be he aggravated his sore neck?

With UAB the week after SCAR, if he gets medical clearance, then I say play him this week.

Not to say UAB isn't dangerous but I say BYU and MissSt are significantly tougher teams. UABs best win is either UTSA or Akron and they lost to Western Kentucky

To answer your question though: Start Strout and if he doesn't work out, go to the bullpen with JG. He is much better coming off the bench than starting.

Reactions: Sara Clark
What to do with Maurer this week and going forward? 2 concussions in 2 weeks is treading dangerous water. At this point it is not something you play around with; the more concussions you get the easier it is to get another one. If he keeps Maurer out another week I would not blame him. Gotta protect your players.

The real question is... Do you roll with JG or Shrout against South Carolina if Maurer is out? This is a must win game.

If maurer can go see need him more than any other ga me left on the schedule.

If the team rallies around Shrout even remotely like they do around Maurer, I say roll with him. I do agree that the staff is in a tough spot though.

I really don't see it as a tough decision, if Maurer is cleared, he plays, if he is not you start Shrout, very easy decision. Why would you want to go with a known loser in jg

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I think they will play, but the energy won't be there for jg. They will go thru the motions, no fire, no emotion, no fight, just play similiar to what they did in ga st. game. I don't see us win a game with jg s starting qb

You’d think this would be elementary .....would you not? VN never fails to amaze me

He could probably do better than jg though. You think we could beat chatt. with jennings as qb, I do. Well that is the only team jg has started that we won. Anyone on the team who has ever played qb could do better than jg. After all Jennings was recruited as a 4 star qb He could have been another dobbs, someone missed it on him. With all this said I would only let jennings in at qb instead of jg. I would start shrout

He could probably do better than jg though. You think we could beat chatt. with jennings as qb, I do. Well that is the only team jg has started that we won. Anyone on the team who has ever played qb could do better than jg. After all Jennings was recruited as a 4 star qb He could have been another dobbs, someone missed it on him. With all this said I would only let jennings in at qb instead of jg. I would start shrout
You ever seen JJ throw a pass?

Maurer has had three starts-and three out due to injury. For some reason, many want to forget UGA Knocking him out-in short he is "three up, three out". I can not make any medial judgement for the young man, he, his doctors/coaches are the only ones in a position to make a sane decision. But I do know in the last three games-he has been put out with an injury, I hope this is a fluke, and not something we should become accustomed to.
Against UGA he wasn’t taken out due to injury. He was taken out due to the scoop and score that put the game out of reach. Coaches decision. He wanted back in after he caught his breath. But no lingering injuries from that game. I think anyone can agree that landing on his head the way he did was a fluke against MSU and what he’s dealing with now is a reoccurring issue from that. Which I do believe to be a stinger or a related issue rather than a concussion. It’s not a very common response to grab your neck when the injury is actually a concussion. Vs Alabama it’s “possible” he could’ve ended up with a concussion but having 320 lbs of Darnell Wright fall on top of his neck a week later couldn’t have felt all that great either.
I think it’s just a string of bad luck tbh. But that being said, regardless of what his ACTUAL injuries are it wouldn’t surprise me if they held him out and took their chances with SC and JG.

Reactions: Chippo

VN Store

Back