This has got to stop [referees]

Threaten to leave the conference unless an entire new officiating staff has been hired and assured there would be no bias. Vols to the ACC if you ask me. South Carolina should come with us as well. Hell anyone that's not named Bama, UGA and Florida might as well too.

A little strong... I notice you point out the "winners" in the officiating battle or teams who are mostly annual winners and teams we have been having trouble with for some time now. Every loser on every Saturday can say the same thing. They/we can point out a few plays that "turned the game against us". Not saying I totally disagree with you about the SEC stripe shirts and what seem to be the BAMA slant in B-ham, but it's the same everywhere when it comes to refs. Certain basketball/teams players, tennis players, and not the least of which are some big league pitchers's strike zones.

Do you seriously believe that everyone hasn’t gotten the short end of the stick with officials?

There used to be a running joke on Florida boards about the rankings for penalties per game and average yards penalized under Spurrier, Zook, and Urban at Florida compared to everywhere else they coached. You should see the numbers.

That South Carolina game that just was played, Florida got hosed the entire first half. I know. I know. The league office called and in the 2nd half, it got “fixed”.

When you get the short end of the stick, it sucks and I get it. But, this conspiracy stuff has gone too far. They’re just bad.

That said, we should demand better officiating (basketball too) for the league as it is bad most saturdays in a lot of league games.

You HAVE to be the most naive person on the planet if you don't believe that the SEC will protect those with big money potential, ie. playoff contender. You watch that Bama game, come back and tell me I'm wrong! It's gotten ****ing ridiculous. It's SO obvious, even a gator like yourself SHOULD be able to see it.

Do you seriously believe that everyone hasn’t gotten the short end of the stick with officials?

There used to be a running joke on Florida boards about the rankings for penalties per game and average yards penalized under Spurrier, Zook, and Urban at Florida compared to everywhere else they coached. You should see the numbers.

That South Carolina game that just was played, Florida got hosed the entire first half. I know. I know. The league office called and in the 2nd half, it got “fixed”.

When you get the short end of the stick, it sucks and I get it. But, this conspiracy stuff has gone too far. They’re just bad.

That said, we should demand better officiating (basketball too) for the league as it is bad most saturdays in a lot of league games.
I’m going to say this and I may get flack from it. You’re absolutely right I think the officiating within our conference sucks in general for the most part. I do absolutely think the conference favors some teams because they hear more from blown calls that effect their money makers. Idk how bad it is all the time but this weekend had some very questionable calls.

Reactions: savannahfan
I say if you're going to call PI, targeting , or roughing on someone that changes the course of a game, at least go to the monitors and look at it first. They just get too many calls wrong, starts to look like they have money on the game.
"Look at it first" This is the problem, "overturning" a call is not what other officials like doing. They let the play stand and use the not enough evidence to over turn most times. As to targeting, medical, social, media, name it damnation or proof will hardly ever allow an overrule on a play that looks like the play in question. Our defender did have his head down, but what or how do you stop the guy from scoring. A catch 22 type play to me. DAMNED if you do and DAMNED if you don't.

I’m going to say this and I may get flack from it. You’re absolutely right I think the officiating within our conference sucks in general for the most part. I do absolutely think the conference favors some teams because they hear more from blown calls that effect their money makers. Idk how bad it is all the time but this weekend had some very questionable calls.

No matter the conference the cash cows will be protected. Given they don’t completely screw the pooch and lose outright

Here is how to fix officiating (all sports/all leagues).

1. Have an unrelated third party company analyze and evaluate officials for all games. This party can have no SEC ties at all. All officials are graded and results are publicly known. This evaluation is no longer done by Bama Steve Shaw.

2. Based on results and grading by unrelated third parties, officials are assigned automatically (and not by Bama Steve Shaw). Officials that score the highest will get the CBS and primetime games. Those that score the lowest go to Starkville...

3. Change ref comp structure. If you get a primetime game, you get paid more than MSU vs NE LA. If you are evaluated high enough each week, you get a bonus. Bowl game assignments are based on evaulations.

4. Relegate lowest ranked officials.
Yep. The good ol’ boy nature and lack of real consequences for poor performance are the real probs.

I seriously believe Bama hasn't. At the very least, not as much as everyone else. And before anyone brings up the nonsense that Bama is the most penalized team in the conference, that isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the context and impact of the calls. To disregard context is the same thing as saying JG and Peyton Manning are the same quarterback because they showed a graphic Saturday night that they had the same completion percentage. Context is EVERYTHING and Bama never gets game changing calls against them.

Best thoughts on "when" a foul is called.. Along those lines as you say, is when a foul "is not"called sometimes is the real difference maker in the course of a game.

I never thought and still do not think UT was ever going to win the game outright against bama. There was a ton of laundry on that field this past Saturday. Poor officiating is just part of the game unfortunately. However, I feel that the officials robbed CFB fans of a more competitive game.

1.The non-hold called a hold on the OL after Jennings rushed for the TD was atrocious.

2.The PF against Taylor that should have really been a whole bunch of nothing was about as a petty of a call as it gets. I understand Taylor was on top of him but come on man.

I am still scratching my head on the REFS resetting of the clock once UT had switched to the wild cat with Tim Jordan allowing bama to adjust defensively early in the game. I even remember one of the announcers/analysts for EPSN saying something along the lines of “Well we are in Tuscaloosa.”

highly doubt that anyone will feel sorry for you considering the obvious no-calls that gave you guys the game. Just saying.

If you truly don’t believe Alabama doesn’t get help from the refs, you haven’t been watching them enough. I haven’t ever seen a game where I felt like Alabama got screwed by the refs.

Reactions: LibertyVol
They'd protect their golden goose Clemsuck over there. I'd be the same thing. Just have to pound a team into submission and it be so bad the officials can't bail them out.

Like they did at Louisville last week when Clemson had around twice the penalties and penalty yards as the Cards?

Like they did at UNC with a couple of no calls on obvious PI that cost Clemson points in a close game?

If anything, the ACC officials tend to favor the underdogs a little. The ACC officials do tend to call things much more evenly and fairly than do the horrible SEC officials.

The SEC refs are almost as bad as NFL refs.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1571542812804.jpg
    FB_IMG_1571542812804.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
Threaten to leave the conference unless an entire new officiating staff has been hired and assured there would be no bias. Vols to the ACC if you ask me. South Carolina should come with us as well. Hell anyone that's not named Bama, UGA and Florida might as well too.
Lol. Okay

Which year? 2000. The Gaffney catch. I get it. What other year?
UF DBs made a living off PI under Spurrier b/c they did it so much it was just unrealistic to call it every time. Physical DB play was a huge part of your D’s success during that time.

Or go Woody Hayes on their assiendas !!!

Ha... Just kidding....

It wasnt always this bad. The bias today is on judgement calls or simply ignoring the obvious.

Tennessee has got a few good calls back in the day thou. In fact I recall a play in 1984 game where William Howard, I believe, was tackled on 4th down well short of the marker for a first down and the refs gave it to him vs Bama. Tennessee went on down to score the TD and won it on the TRob 2 pt conversion. Today that would have been overruled by replay.

One of the things most every SEC fan enjoys about a bowl game is that you don’t get an SEC officiating crew.

If officials were truly trying to protect certain teams, those teams would never lose.
When SEC schools look forward to not having an SEC officiating crew, something has to be done.

I think the NCAA should oversee officials and not conferences. That way, refs from California can call games in the southeast and refs from Alabama can ref games in California.

And I agree with heading officials as well. Higher grades mean higher profile games and conferences with higher pay. Poor performance leads to calling FCS games and lower pay. Job placement and compensation based on job performance... what a concept.

Well I think we did get better and whipped their ass. It’s just the officials either took points off the board or killed our momentum to score.

If JG does what he is suppose to then the VOLS are whipping bamas ass.

I’m a UT homer but the officials were biased. 3 penalties on 3 different players on 1 play?
C’MON MAN!

I agree with this one, although I wouldn’t necessarily say we were whipping them. We were definitely in the game with them if not for a number of questionable plays. And did anyone else notice that on the “3 penalty play” only one of the jersey numbers they announced was actually valid for a UT player on the field at that time??!

Reactions: Tnslim1
Taylor laid on top of him for several seconds after hitting him. He then appeared to push him back down on the turf. The replay showed that the “shove” was minor but watching live it looked bad.

I agree at first I thought he did shove him. But that should not have been flagged

Taylor laid on top of him for several seconds after hitting him. He then appeared to push him back down on the turf. The replay showed that the “shove” was minor but watching live it looked bad.

This is nonsense.

One reason the officiating in the SEC is so bad is because people will defend their bad officiating and label any criticism of the refs as "whining".

This is nonsense.

One reason the officiating in the SEC is so bad is because people will defend their bad officiating and label any criticism of the refs as "whining".
all you have to do typically is follow the money or find out who stands to gain. This isn't hard folks. And it just so happens that the SEC stands to gain a lot if Bama keeps winning

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back