Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

Ok, so this may sound a bit ridiculous, but do you think a change in uni's makes a difference - in mindset of players, excitement level, etc? I remember the black uni's Kiffin pulled out for the USCjr game on Halloween 2009 and that team was totally juiced! Also remember the smokey greys being used against FL in our last win against the gators. Saturday's all orange look was different and our guys seemed to come out with a completely different mindset and energy level.

So, do you think a change in uni's has a psychological impact on the players and how they play? If it does, I say change them out every weekend for the rest of the season a la Oregon and let's get this team to a damn bowl game!!!

The team wore all orange when they beat Bama in 1982 to break a streak of 11 consecutive Tide wins. Bama was ranked #2 in the nation, it was the Bears last game coaching in Neyland. UT finished with a 6-5-1 record that year, they were heavily favored underdogs.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
The team wore all orange when they beat Bama in 1982 to break a streak of 11 consecutive Tide wins. Bama was ranked #2 in the nation, it was the Bears last game coaching in Neyland. UT finished with a 6-5-1 record that year, they were heavily favored underdogs.
That settles it for me (good history post), the only reason we are NOT 6-0 is Pruitt's poor choice in Unis!!!!

One of UTs best uniforms
Circa 2005
23alabama_lg.jpg

"Paying" makes what they are doing a job. So lets just forget the "schooling" part and the schools become managers of sports teams just like the NFL or MLB or NHL or any other sports "businesses" and their employees become "workers". I know, your comeback is "schools already are these management businesses" I understand this and dislike where college sports are going. OH WELL:(

There are tons of intra mural competitions on campus if that suits your fancy.

Making miliions upon millions from the entertainment these young players provide and then punishing them for accepting money/cars/dinners from boosters is the height of hypocrisy. Folks supporting this system either have given ot no thought or their moral compass is screwed up.

There are tons of intra mural competitions on campus if that suits your fancy.

Making miliions upon millions from the entertainment these young players provide and then punishing them for accepting money/cars/dinners from boosters is the height of hypocrisy. Folks supporting this system either have given ot no thought or their moral compass is screwed up.

Sorry. It will be professional sports as things are going with no "amateur" participates . If college sports is to remain a "college/amateur" game, then out and out paying players can't happen. I still say, if you want "pro" sports, then follow a "pro" team. When you start "paying" a guy/gal who messes up, will the powers that be come around and say, "sorry, we don't need you any more" or will the program just have to keep the person on and suffer losses while they waste time and money trying to teach them how to make the program money. If as it stands now where a person can move on to another program, will a student/paid employee still be able to do this? Or will each "employee" have their own contract and lawyer and agent and public relations staff and on and on to handle these things? Sorry if this sounds overboard, but this or something like this will happen when you start paying or allow money making by a player.

Let me check with some programs that stay true to tradition. Okla, PSU, bama. Nope apperantly not.

So Penn State's "White Outs" are for naught? Ok.......

I'm of the Bull Durham mindset. With 17-22 year old kids, whatever it is that motivates them is fine with me. Any kind of edge that you can get on the competition you should get. The orange on orange is nothing new. Did that in the 70's and 80's. I thought the fabric in the pants looks a lot better today than when the Vols wore those shiny slick orange britches back in the day. And they've always played around with stripes or no stripes, etc. It was a stretch when Butch reclassified the school colors to include 'Smokey Grey'. We all saw what he did there. Top and bottom combinations are not rocket science. Kind of like when Oklahoma brought out the red helmets, red jerseys and red pants a few years ago. ;)

Ok, so this may sound a bit ridiculous, but do you think a change in uni's makes a difference - in mindset of players, excitement level, etc? I remember the black uni's Kiffin pulled out for the USCjr game on Halloween 2009 and that team was totally juiced! Also remember the smokey greys being used against FL in our last win against the gators. Saturday's all orange look was different and our guys seemed to come out with a completely different mindset and energy level.

So, do you think a change in uni's has a psychological impact on the players and how they play? If it does, I say change them out every weekend for the rest of the season a la Oregon and let's get this team to a damn bowl game!!!
it does make an impression on younger players and recruits whether we want to admit that or not

Were you here when we had Adidas uniforms? So much talk about how Nike would attract all the best talent like Bama and Florida......like daily.
LOL!!! You could argue that we recruited better with Adidas. Nike is so overrated. Our best recruiting years ever was when our uniforms were made by Sports Bell in Powell. Go figure. I refuse to purchase any Nike items.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
If you think about it, our record since introducing "alternate uniforms" on Halloween 2009 has been horrible. Not saying that is the cause, just an observation. And for the argument of those talking about PSU and Oklahoma looking good in traditional, I raise you Trevor Lawrence...5bf100bc0c1a2.image.jpg

Reactions: onevol74
One of UTs best uniforms
Circa 2005
23alabama_lg.jpg

I used to like these but as I get older, I don't. The jerseys don't look like are part of the same set, because the numbers are outlined in black but the T on the pants and the helmet aren't. And it gives it an effect of the orange on the jerseys looking darker because of the black outline. Plus it doesn't match the orange jerseys because there is no outline. Now it just looks mismatched to me.

I like the current uniforms probably the best I have in a long time, though I still prefer the pants to have the double stripe. Having no stripes gives me the vibe that they're wearing practice pants.

I like the black outlined numbers.
I like black cleats.
Love orange/white, all orange and stormtroopers.
Fine with whatever.

I like Adidas better than Nike, but don't care.

hate the black cleats. the only time they were even halfway acceptable was with the black socks like pictured. our current black cleats/white socks make us look like lunch ladies. Say what you will about the Butch tenure but we always looked good.

I like the black outlined numbers.
I like black cleats.
Love orange/white, all orange and stormtroopers.
Fine with whatever.

I like Adidas better than Nike, but don't care.
Agree to disagree on the black outlines. Hideous.......

Only reason anyone likes those is because UT was good and Manning .

Agree to disagree on the black outlines. Hideous.......

Only reason anyone likes those is because UT was good and Manning .
I thought it looked bad too. Of course, I also never understood what was so hard about seeing orange numbers and letters on a white jersey.

VN Store

Back